Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,958 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:58 AM

Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms - Literature (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms (435928 Views)

Letting Go By Audrey Timms / Waiting For The Bouquet By Audrey Timms / Unfulfilled Promises' Ebook On Okadabooks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (109) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by joe17: 2:38am On Aug 16, 2014
OP, u av an amazing talent. I luk forward to seein ur name written Boldly on the Big board. Dnt get tired pls!
Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by Freshpage(m): 6:34am On Aug 16, 2014
[quote author=AudreyTimms]He rang the door bell twice before Oleng opened the door. She was surprised to see him. She should have known he wouldn’t let matters be.

“Hi. Can I come in?”

Oleng just stared at him and folded her arms across her chest. “For what?”

He was shocked but not deterred. “I came to teach you that physics you’ve been asking me to teach you.”

It was her turn to be shocked because she had only told him once that she needed help with her physics.

“Well, I’m not in the mood for receiving lessons. Well, if that is all…..” She made to close the door but he placed a foot at the door before she could shut it.

“Sunshine please. At least hear me out.”

“Ric…Eric, whatever you do with your break time and whoever you spend it with is entirely your business.” she launched back furiously at him. “Just leave me alone!” She made to close the door again when he asked,

“Why didn’t you tell me Oge has been maltreating you?”

She was transfixed with surprise.

“Who told you?”

“Why didn’t you tell me? I thought we promised each other that we wouldn’t have secrets. Why did you keep such a thing from me?” He was angry too.

Tears came to her eyes. “I didn’t want any trouble.”

“Trouble? Did you stop to think how I would feel if I found out? How could you? You know I can handle her.” he accused.

She felt sorry that she hadn’t told him but remembered what she had seen that day.

Her anger surged. “Oh yes! You can handle her alright. You did just that today, didn’t you?”

“It’s not what you think. Nothing happened.”

“Really?” she enquired sweetly.

Eric then explained everything that happened still at her door steps. As she wanted to reply, she heard her phone ring so she ran to go and answer the call.

Eric took it as an avenue to enter the house. He smiled when he saw Oleng was frowning when he came to the living room. She didn’t know how beautiful she looked like that. She told the person to call her back later.

“I didn’t ask you to come in.” she intoned coldly when she was through with the call.

“I know but the door was opened. So I came in.” he retorted nonchalantly as he sat down in the tastefully furnished living room.

“Well, I want you to leave.” she fired back at him.

“Make me.” he dared.

She sat down looking at him in anger. He explained what happened again.

“Tell me you weren’t turned on when she took off her shirt.” she threw at him when he was through.

He shook his head slowly. “The issue here is that I didn’t fall for her.”

“Please!” she said in digust with a wave of her hand and turned away from him to stare at the television.

He looked at her intently. “Frankly, there is only one girl on earth who would come on strong to me to make me fall flat.”

She slowly turned to look at him. The question was in her eyes but she didn’t dare ask.

“You.” he told her shortly. “You can come on strong to me any day any time, sunshine and I’ll fall hook, line and sinker.”

Oleng could not help looking away. She was embarrassed.

“And as for Oge, you need not worry about her anymore. She’ll be dethroned on Monday.”

“What?” She turned to look at him then.

“I reported her to the principal. There have been numerous complains about her. This was the last straw.”

“How could you? It will only worsen matters.” she lamented.

“No. She’ll only be a toothless bull dog now.”

“No! She’ll use her prefect friends against me. All of them will hate me for making the principal dethrone her.”

Eric studied her calmly before smiling.

“These are the very same prefects who have been complaining to the principal about her. They’ll be glad when she’s dethroned.”

“Really? But she’ll still have some loyal friends.”

He smiled again and she had to look away. He didn’t know he looked more handsome whenever he smiled.

“You underestimate me, sunshine. I think you sometimes forget I’m the senior prefect.”

“I’ve never forgotten. It’s the reason why I don’t like drawing attention to myself in school at all. I don’t want people to say I’m taking advantage of the fact that my best friend is the senior prefect. Now they’ll go about saying such.”

“But they don’t know what happened. It was Zinny who told me about what she has been doing to you.”

“Zinny?” she asked in bewilderment.

“Yeah. When I asked of your whereabouts and when she asked what happened between you, Oge and I. No one knows she’s going to be dethroned on Monday except you and I.”

“Thank God. That’s a relief. I don’t want to be the talk of the whole school.”

“Neither do I but the thing is, people will still talk.”

“Well, that’s true.”

There was a moment of silence between them. Eric got up and went to sit very close to her on the sofa and took her hand.

“Sunshine, am I forgiven for what happened this afternoon? I swear, nothing happened between us. It was a set up but I didn’t fall. Don’t allow a nonentity come between us. Please don’t throw away our friendship of ten years.”

All the while he was talking, Oleng wasn’t looking at him but the hand he held. She raised her head to look at him. “I heard her talk about the plan with her friends but didn’t know it was to try to seduce you for me to think you had sex with her. I was so angry seeing both of you coming out of the toilet, dressing up.”

“She was the one who……” he tried to explain but she placed a finger on his lips.

“Ssh… You’ve already explained yourself. I’m glad you didn’t fall.” She smiled shyly.

“Thanks. Me too.” he said smiling and pulled her to give her a hug. They hardly hugged these days so she was glad when they did and they stayed like that for while until she pulled away wondering at the sensations that were running all over her body. Eric felt it also and was lost for words before pulling himself together.

“So, what about the physics lesson?”

“Certainly not. I’m not in the mood. Maybe another time.” she informed him smiling.

“Alright.” he said with a slight shrug.

“Where’s Tessy?”

“I don’t know. Maybe she’s in her room.”

Tessy was her mum’s distant relative. She was twenty two years old and was studying in the state university close by. Her mum had brought her to live with them when Oleng was ten and to take care of her since she constantly traveled but Tessy always ignored her. Whenever she was around which was seldom, she would lock herself up in the room and behave as if Oleng didn’t exist. It hurt Oleng a lot because she had been so happy when her mum had brought the latter thinking she would no longer be lonely. She was used to her now anyway. Besides, she didn’t need her as far as she had Eric.

She was surprised to hear her mum’s car horn. She got up and went to the window to lift the curtain to make sure and saw their gateman running to go and open the gate.

“My mum is back.” she informed Eric.

Eric sighed a little. He could count the number of times he had seen Oleng’s mum. She owned chains of boutiques where she sold both English wears and all kinds of materials. She also dealt in jeweleries; gold, diamond, sapphire, rubbies, platinum, whatever; which made her travel all over Nigeria and the world. She was rarely at home.

He never knew Oleng was neglected until he got very close to her. Her mum would travel out of the country for over two weeks and leave her alone at home assuming her distant relative, Tessy would take care of Oleng not knowing that Tessy would also travel and leave Oleng all alone. She always came back before Oleng’s mum. Oleng not wanting her mum to send the girl packing, never reported because at least she was at home sometimes and she didn’t want to be all alone again since her mum didn’t have time for her.

Eric had visited her one day and found her crying. She said her mum didn’t love her because times without number, she had tried talking with her mum but the latter was always too busy to talk to her. He had told her that she was the one not trying her best to get close to her mum but she had replied that there was no time to get close to her because if her mum wasn’t in Kano or Kaduna today, she would be in either one African country or the other or Dubai the following day and when she was even at home, she was too tired to talk to her when she came home at night, tired from running her numerous boutiques.

Eric had tried to make his mum her mum also but she was too scared of his mum, saying she was too much of a society lady for her to get close to. Eric knew that at first sight his mum appeared that way but inwardly, she was a very sweet person.
Eric was the first person to know when she started menstruating. It had been one of those periods when both her mum and Tessy traveled. She had thought she was sick having never been told anything about adolescence and feminine changes.

She had called Eric who in turn told his mum. It was his mum who had come over to lecture her and buy her her first sanitary towel before she told her mum when she came back. Her mum hadn’t told her anything but made sure she had a regular supply of sanitary towel as she did with her clothes and money. Oleng didn’t lack anything except motherly love. She had money, clothes, and jeweleries at her beck and call but a mother’s love.

Kudos! Wonderful piece of work. Exceptional I must say
Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by capip120(m): 6:48am On Aug 16, 2014
When you want to dream you go to sleep.
That's just what I did!
imaginative reality. Such a nice anecdote.
Audrey thanks men! infact you they enter class.
you pass through school, school no pass through you, you be pickin wey sabi! Abi my people no be so? constant update, correct use of grammar, you put things art thou!! bless you.
at least the only offence wey you commit be say you deny me of my sleep at least I finally closed my eyes by a 3:15 and I suppose go work I don't forgive and I don't think I will start now, so my punishment be say::::::::::

GIVE US UPDATESSSS.
I rest my ambience.

3 Likes

Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by maryhaam(f): 7:12am On Aug 16, 2014
That y I don't like coming to literature ooooo,when I come arround I click on story that are done n seal coz of heart break joooo.
Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by AudreyTimms(f): 7:38am On Aug 16, 2014
Good morning all. Thanks for your beautiful comments. I appreciate you all.
Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by AudreyTimms(f): 7:45am On Aug 16, 2014
They strolled up and down the corridor of the hospital, praying that she would be alright. Aunt Vien had to ask Dave if he thought she was pregnant though she hadn’t noticed any pregnancy symptoms in her.

Dave shook his head and said he had never had sex with her except if she was pregnant for another man which he doubted. The doctor came in then to tell them that they had carried out some tests and discovered that Oleng had both malaria and typhoid which resulted in low blood count and would have to stay in the hospital for a while in other for her to get better.

They both heaved a sigh of relief that it wasn’t a deadly disease that she had caught.
*Had it happened in dis period, dey for thank God say no b ebola. Hehehe!*

“I told her. “ Aunt Vien said after the doctor had gone. “I told her she was getting thinner and thinner by the day but she told me it was stress from the bank.”

“Yeah, I told her also that she was losing weight but she told me the same thing. I thank God it was discovered early. Imagine if the whole blood had dried up in her body.”

“God forbid!” Aunt Vien vehemently said.

“Thank God. Let’s go and see her.” he said calmly and led the way to the room the doctor had told them she was in.

Oleng stayed in the hospital for two weeks. She would have been discharged after staying for a week but Dave and her Aunt would hear nothing of it. She had to stay back in the hospital for another week though she was alright.

As she laid on her bed watching the television, she couldn’t help recalling all that Dave had done for her during her period of illness. He had had her moved from the general ward to a private room; he had spent countless hours by her side when she was both in sickness and good health. The trolley by her bed was never empty. It was always filled with goodies that she couldn’t even finish if she had been healthy not to talk of in ill health. What touched her most was that he never failed to be with her everyday despite his hectic work schedule. He was so loving, so caring, and a true friend. He was everything she wanted in a man.

Tears rolled down her eyes as she thought of all he had done for her ever since they met again. He was just too good to be true and she wasn’t going to let go of him. He came into the room then.
He had gone to get himself a drink.

“Sweetheart, can you imagine they don’t even have any cold drink? NEPA issues!” he informed her as he came into the room.

When he got to her bed he was surprised to see tears rolling down her eyes.

“Sweetheart, is anything wrong? Are you in pain? Should I call the doctor?” He was so filled with worry.
She held him as he tried moving away. She could only shake her head for emotion had made her tongue tied.

“I love you.” she finally proclaimed.

“What?” He was stunned.

“I love you. Thank you for being who you are; for being the most important person in my life.” she rushed.

He was so baffled he had to touch her forehead to see if she was running temperature.

“Are you alright?” he asked.

Oleng couldn’t help the smile that crossed her face. “I’ve never been better. It took my getting ill and your presence with me everyday for me to realize how much you mean to me. I love you and I’ll marry you if you’ll still have me.”

“Are you joking? Of course I’ll still marry you. You’ve made my day. You’ve made my life complete. I’ll love you for the rest of my life.” he declared and kissed her with pent up relief.

He took her left hand in his and brought out the small box from his pocket.

“Call me stupid but I’ve been carrying this box in my pocket since that night I proposed to you. I’ve never stopped hoping and I thank God my dreams have finally come true.” He placed the ring on her middle finger and hugged her.

Just then her Aunt came into the room.

“What am I missing?” she asked smiling and dropped the paper bag on the table by the bed.

For an answer, Oleng showed her the ring on her middle finger, smiling.

“My goodness!” she said with euphoria. “Finally! I’m so happy for both of you.” She hugged her niece and hugged Dave also telling him. ‘Welcome to the family.’

Oleng was discharged from the hospital and returned to her normal life. Marvy was overjoyed when she told her that she had accepted Dave’s proposal but Zinny was quite reserved. She only told her congratulations and wished her happiness.

Due to Zinny’s lack of excitement towards the coming nuptials, Oleng decided to make Marvy her maid of honor instead of Zinny as she had always wanted which made Marvy very happy.

A month after their engagement, Dave decided to go and show his family the girl he wanted to spend the rest of his life with now that she was strong enough to travel. Oleng was scared to go with him at first but her Aunt convinced her to go after all, she would meet her potential in-laws some day.

Due to the hectic nature of Dave’s job, they had to go on a Saturday and proposed coming back the following day. Oleng planned that if she got to like his family, she might stay longer than that. She had never met his family before not even while they were still in school together. She had seen pictures of his parents, his younger brother and sisters but had never met them. She was glad for the opportunity of meeting them at last. She wished they would like her too. Dave insisted they would love her, what with her beauty and poise.

When he drove past her former house, she made sure she didn’t look at it. He squeezed her hand and sighed when he saw that she looked away. They finally got to the house and his mother was overjoyed to see him. His dad was not at home, only his mum and younger sisters. They exchanged pleasantries before he introduced her.

“Mum, Michelle and Felicia, meet Oleng, my fiancée.” He held Oleng’s hand, grinning.

Oleng knelt down in before his mother and greeted her again. One look at Michelle told her the former didn’t like her.

“Get up, my dear.” Mrs. Sokari said and lifted her up. “Please sit.”

They all sat down and stared at her.

Mrs. Sokari looked dazzled by her beauty and petite nature while Michelle looked at her with disgust and Felicia with indifference.

“My dear, please can you excuse us for just a few minutes? You can go to the balcony to take some fresh air” her fiancé’s mum told her.

“Alright Ma” She quietly said and got up to go to the said place. She closed the sliding door to give them some privacy but Michelle got up to open it.

“No be only you need fresh air abeg” she harshly told her. Oleng shrugged and lent on the rails to look at the entire compound.

“She’s from Calabar, right?”

“What?” Michelle jolted up from her seat.

“Calabar? God forbid.”

“No. She’s not from Calabar. She’s from…..” Dave tried to explain but was cut off.

“They’re all the same. Calabar! God forbid! There’s no way you’re going to marry a Calabar girl into this house.”

“But she’s not Calabar and even if she were, what is your problem with it?”

“They’re all the same to me. Be it Cross River or Akwa Ibom, they’re all the same.” she stated vehemently.

“Will you keep your voice down! What exactly is your problem with Calabar girls?” Dave was clearly irritated by his immediate younger sister’s behavior.

“Have you forgotten it was a Calabar girl who tried to snatch my husband from me a few years ago if not for the intervention of God?”

“And what has that got to do with Oleng?” he was infuriated.

“They’re all the same. She won’t be faithful to you. They are notable for their unfaithfulness.”

“My Oleng is not like that.”

“Indeed! Just give her a few years. By the time you can’t give her attention in bed again, she’ll look for someone else.”

“I thought I told you to stop shouting.” Dave was mad.

“Wetin? If she like, make she hear. Na lie I dey talk?” she hissed.

“I will not take this. Mum, will you just sit there while Michelle runs her mouth off?” Dave was furious.

His mum just shook her head sorrowfully.

“Dave, my son. I’m not supporting Michelle’s reasons for objecting to your marriage to her but honestly, I don’t like Calabar girls.” she calmly told him.

Dave fell back on his chair like a deflated balloon. Michelle was all smiles.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by thepatroit: 7:47am On Aug 16, 2014
Hello my fellow readers. Please it isn't enough to just thank her for this great piece of work, let's encourage and support her by voting for her. She never fails to keep us entertained by posting everyday. We can't pay her bt d least we can do is help her get paid. Dis is all we can do 4 her. At least let's be able to boast that we r her true fans by helping her get to the top. It will cost u nothing. I've already voted for her. Do yours 2day. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by Rhyno02(m): 8:28am On Aug 16, 2014
I love what just happened ,wow !!! Team Eric
Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by avuekwe(f): 8:47am On Aug 16, 2014
Rhyno02: I love what just happened ,wow !!! Team Eric

Which kain team eric be dat? So are u telling me that u don't know that in reality, first love is overrated? I'm rooting for a second love cos personally, I believe everyone who didn't get it right d first time should be given a second chance with someone else and it cud turn out to be the best afterall.

2 Likes

Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by Fatalveli(m): 9:19am On Aug 16, 2014
C'mon now, I'm hungry for more update, I mean a very long one.... I guess u shud apply grease 2 ur finger *Ghost mode deactivated*
Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by Essyydiamond(f): 9:32am On Aug 16, 2014
@ thepatroit, vote where??sad
Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by codedbaby(f): 9:33am On Aug 16, 2014
Audry this suspense is too much o. I love this piece so much. More updates pls am begging.
Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by adalusha101: 9:46am On Aug 16, 2014
What sweet torture Audrey! This is stOrytelling @ a whole new level. Simply captivating. I must say you are very talented. Please post soon. #teamEric
Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by dadoctore(m): 10:27am On Aug 16, 2014
thepatroit: Hello my fellow readers. Please it isn't enough to just thank her for this great piece of work, let's encourage and support her by voting for her. She never fails to keep us entertained by posting everyday. We can't pay her bt d least we can do is help her get paid. Dis is all we can do 4 her. At least let's be able to boast that we r her true fans by helping her get to the top. It will cost u nothing. I've already voted for her. Do yours 2day. Thanks.
Pls post d link cos I personally avnt cm across such good writing in a long while...AudreyTimms uve got smtin special
Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by bibie01(f): 10:36am On Aug 16, 2014
Awww my poor Oleng, I'm so sorry dear. Dave pls be d man.

Audery please don't toture us like ds, feed us more.
Btw, ur updates keep me spellbound. It keeps getting interesting.
Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by bountiouz: 11:03am On Aug 16, 2014
bibie01: Eh hen! Thank God collins aff gone. I like that part.
N I also second pammusphy for thinking its Eric's brother that sent Oleng the message. Notwithstanding, I kinda don't want Oleng to go back to Eric when he eventually comes.
Oleng, pls stick with Dave. Don't break his heart.

Thanks Audery n am waiting for your loonngg update.

I agree with you, don't want dave getting hurt or being made the bad guy, but it seems one of these is bound to happen along the line.

Great work ma'am Audrey!
Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by bibie01(f): 11:08am On Aug 16, 2014
bountiouz:

I agree with you, don't want dave getting hurt or being made the bad guy, but it seems one of these is bound to happen along the line.

Great work ma'am Audrey!

Yea, and now his family does not like Oleng. I feel sorry for them sad
Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by Nobody: 11:19am On Aug 16, 2014
No no no... I don't want it to work out between Oleng and Dave. I still av a strong feeling Eric don't send that message. ever since I read dat msg,I knew something was wrong. Eric,y u being a coward and not a man to face her?

When will Bby Eric surface from where he s hidden? oh my sweet boy

I pray Oleng finds it in her h@ to forgive Aunt Vien wen she finds out ha Bby did not die

N all in all I wish ds writer d best in all endeavors for he kept me busy since yesterday and not lonely as always, good job
Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by bountiouz: 11:48am On Aug 16, 2014
bibie01:

Yea, and now his family does not like Oleng. I feel sorry for them sad

Me too. Let's just hope dave finds his own missing rib at the end.
Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by bibie01(f): 12:19pm On Aug 16, 2014
Candis009: No no no... I don't want it to work out between Oleng and Dave. I still av a strong feeling Eric don't send that message. ever since I read dat msg,I knew something was wrong. Eric,y u being a coward and not a man to face her?

I pray Oleng finds it in her h@ to forgive Aunt Vien wen she finds out ha Bby did not die

N all in all I wish ds writer d best in all endeavors for he kept me busy since yesterday and not lonely as always, good job

The writer is a 'she'.
Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by maryhaam(f): 12:46pm On Aug 16, 2014
Candis009: No no no... I don't want it to work out between Oleng and Dave. I still av a strong feeling Eric don't send that message. ever since I read dat msg,I knew something was wrong. Eric,y u being a coward and not a man to face her?

rily baby Eric is alive,where n how,did I miss somefyn.
Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by Ruhbiee(f): 12:46pm On Aug 16, 2014
I believe that Oleng's'child did'nt of "natural causes" ..did Oleng's mother do something cause she said she took care of it.
Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by Freshpage(m): 12:57pm On Aug 16, 2014
This story is really touching. I assure u, this story when published would surely win u a great Award.

1 Like

Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by Nobody: 1:29pm On Aug 16, 2014
maryhaam: rily baby Eric is alive,where n how,did I miss somefyn.

No u don't but just keep reading and u will c dat
Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by adeayomi08(f): 2:04pm On Aug 16, 2014
Oya Ooº°˚˚ ........ Enjoying every bit of this story. Am waiting
Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by thepatroit: 2:33pm On Aug 16, 2014
https://www.nairaland.com/1804027/free-n5000-writer-here-every

That's the link. I hope I got it right. Let's vote her to victory!

1 Like

Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by AudreyTimms(f): 2:49pm On Aug 16, 2014
Tanx so much guys 4 following and commenting. Some comments r hilarious sha! Hmm....dose with conspiracy theories, I dnt no wat 2 say. Only one person has accurately guessed everytin dt is goin 2 happen and am almost tempted 2 twist it again bcs of dt person bt I don tire. Lemme focus on my nxt story. I appreciate u all!
Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by pricelesslove(f): 2:50pm On Aug 16, 2014
i have finnaly caught up with u guys. you are so good. more gress to ur elbow.
Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by AudreyTimms(f): 2:57pm On Aug 16, 2014
“But why, mum? I told you about her and you agreed for me to bring her home.” he finally said.

“I know but I’ve been thinking. The bad things that are said about them are just too numerous. I don’t mind you getting married from other south- south states but Cross River and Akwa Ibom are out of the question.”

“But mum, Oleng isn't like that. Let her prove the rumors false. Please. You’ll like her if only you’d give her a chance.”

“They’re also good at pretending. It was recently that we discovered all the prostitutes in our class who have been claiming born again Christians are all from Calabar.” Felicia chipped in for the first time.

“Will you shut up, my friend!” her elder brother angrily told her.

“Please let her have her say. After all, she has to look out for her own interest too. No girl would like to be troubled by her brother’s wife when she goes visiting.” Michelle chipped in.

Dave shot her a dirty look and went to sit beside his mum. “Mother please. I love Oleng with my whole heart. She loves me too.”

“She’s only after your money.” Michelle put in.

Dave ignored her and went on. “Mother please. It took me a long time to get her to agree to marry me, please don’t spoil it for me. Please.”

“She was only pretending.” Felicia said and she and Michelle laughed.

Dave just ignored them.

“Dave, you know I love you very much and want the best for you. A Calabar girl is not good enough for you. I want you to be happy for the rest of your life. You know you need it. I doubt if she’ll stay when the going gets tough.”

“But you don’t even know her.” he insisted.

“I don’t want you to make a mistake that you’ll regret for the rest of your life.”

“I’m not making a mistake. Even if I were, is it not my life? I’m ready to carry my cross. If she turns out bad in future which I seriously doubt, I’m willing to take my chances. It’s my life.”

“It’s not just your life, Dave. It’s not only the man and woman who gets married but their families also. What really do you know about her family? Tell me.”

Dave couldn’t say anything then because he only knew her mother and her Aunt.

“What I know about her is enough for me.”

“Stop deceiving yourself. If you really want a wife, I’ll ask your uncle to look for one for you. If you want an educated one, no problem, we can arrange it but as for her, forget it.”

Dave sat down again like a man whose world was crumbling down. Never had he imagined that his family would reject Oleng. It was like a nightmare to him. He had been so happy when he had told his mother everything about Oleng and she had been joyous about it and had told him to bring her home quickly.

He had no doubt that the witches he had as sisters had poisoned her mind against Oleng whom they had not met before now. He knew there was no point calling his dad to intercede for him because his mum’s word was final in that house.

He had often been angry with his dad for seeming like a weakling because he never challenged his mum. He was so quiet a fellow who ran away from any sign of trouble. He suspected that his mum had probably troubled him, which was why he had gone to Abuja for a break. It was a hopeless case.

He turned to look at Oleng in the balcony for the first time since the fruitless argument started. She hung her head and he knew that instant that she was crying. She had probably heard everything. Michelle had definitely been loud enough. To be rejected by your potential in- laws right in your presence was a heavy blow. He felt sorry for her.

“Please excuse me.” she mumbled as she came into the living room and rushed out of it. Michelle and Felicia burst into laughter.

He got up and made to follow her immediately but his mum held his hand.

“Think about all I've said. Don’t ostracize yourself from this house because of her. She’s not worth it.”

“I can arrange one of my friends for you if you're interested.” Felicia informed him smiling.

“You all have really disappointed me today. Mother, I’m surprised that in these modern times, you still practice tribalism. And you Michelle, if your in-laws had treated you like this, would you have married Tawari? You Felicia, I only pity you. You’re not married yet you're maltreating someone who wants to marry your brother. As for me, whatever you all say or do, I don’t care; I’ll marry Oleng. She gave me a reason to live when I had none.” With that, he walked away leaving all of them quiet and lost in thoughts.

He got into his car and met Oleng sobbing bitterly.

“Please, I want to go home. Back to Calabar. I don’t care if we get there by mid-night.” she angrily told him when he got in.

“Oleng…” he began but she interrupted.

“Please don’t say anything. I’ve never been more humiliated in my entire life. Please let’s just leave here.”

Dave shrugged sadly and drove out of the compound silently. Oleng didn’t say a word throughout the journey. Dave tried drawing her out to say something but she remained silent. They got to Calabar late. Oleng took her travel bag from the back seat and went inside. Dave called and called but she slammed the door shut when the surprised Aunt Vien opened it.

Dave decided to give her time to cry over the matter because he knew she was hurting too much to talk to him now. He waited till the following day to call her but her phone was switched off. He went to her house to find only a hostile Aunt.

“What do you want?” she harshly enquired when she opened the door.

“Good morning ma. Please, I came to see Oleng.” he politely replied.

“For what? So you can take her back to your family to insult her some more?” she angrily replied.

He was flustered at the reply for a moment. “Aunt Vien, you have every right to be angry but I came to apologize on behalf of my family. I’m really sorry that Oleng had to go through all that. I came to tell her I don’t care if my family is not in support of my marriage to her. I don’t even care if the whole of Nigeria is not in support. I love her. I love her very much and I’ll marry her no matter what anyone says.” he vehemently declared robbing Aunt Vien of words.

“It’s a pity then because she’s not at home and she asked me to give you this.”
She brought out the engagement ring he had given Oleng.

5 Likes

Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by AudreyTimms(f): 3:00pm On Aug 16, 2014
thepatroit: https://www.nairaland.com/1804027/free-n5000-writer-here-every

That's the link. I hope I got it right. Let's vote her to victory!
Sory I almst 4got. Tanx 4d PR job.
Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by AudreyTimms(f): 3:01pm On Aug 16, 2014
pricelesslove: i have finnaly caught up with u guys. you are so good. more gress to ur elbow.
Weldone! Tanx dear
Re: Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms by Goldenbasil(f): 3:44pm On Aug 16, 2014
wow

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (109) (Reply)

A Man To Call Her Own / SPEECHLESS:A Story By Marianneada / Behind Her Veil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.