Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,337 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:06 AM

Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? (6680 Views)

Photo: Would You Let Your Pregnant Wife Go Clubbing Dressed Like This? / Photo: What Would You Do If You Came Home And Saw Your Child Like This!! / Will You Allow Your Wife Use intimacy gadgets When You Are Away? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by 0rlando0woh: 7:51am On Jul 26, 2014
See what Yoruba children went through, no wonder the ones on Nairaland are so bitter.

1 Like

Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by mebad(m): 8:16am On Jul 26, 2014
I am forced to agree with the people that says Africa has no history. Look at us,quick to condem aspect of our cultures just because of our contact with western form of civilization . Personally, I don't like tribal marks but I would not speak against people who still fancy it.

1 Like

Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by Nobody: 8:46am On Jul 26, 2014
If you have tatoos then you have tribal marks tongue tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by sarutobie(m): 9:00am On Jul 26, 2014
mebad: I am forced to agree with the people that says Africa has no history. Look at us,quick to condem aspect of our cultures just because of our contact with western form of civilization . Personally, I don't like tribal marks but I would not speak against people who still fancy it.
you mean adults who fancy it?..does that child being brutally mutilated in the picture have any say in it? do you think the child will like those hideous marks on him when he becomes an adult? don't you think it might become a source of anger, depression and complex to him? when he goes out among people who dont know about his culture? this is not about cultural identity, this is about enlightenment.
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by shizzleStar: 9:01am On Jul 26, 2014
so these people still practise this nonsense n the name of culture?
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by JEITO: 9:13am On Jul 26, 2014
Singing with Modo

Bisi from Ibadan
I toasted in the dark
The next morning I'm like
Aaaahhh tiger shark
SHE NEVER FORGAVE HER DAD
FOR GIVING HER TRIBAL MARKs
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by MadCow1: 9:23am On Jul 26, 2014
grin
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by MadCow1: 9:28am On Jul 26, 2014
mebad: I am forced to agree with the people that says Africa has no history. Look at us,quick to condem aspect of our cultures just because of our contact with western form of civilization . Personally, I don't like tribal marks but I would not speak against people who still fancy it.

Do you want to know why I disagree win you? Our culture and heritage is indeed worth preserving but there are those aspects of it that were done in ignorance and based on the exposure afforded to them at that time that we must do away with today because we are wiser and more exposed.

Some historical accounts have blamed the tribal marking of children on a spiritual phenomenon called Ogbanje and Abikun. Now as much as there isn't much science to disprove the existence or not of these spiritual beings, we know that facially mutilating a child's face may come back to affect that child in the future.

1 Like

Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by somcherry(f): 9:30am On Jul 26, 2014
Disgusting embarassed
i can't even imagine this useless tribal marks on my beautiful face tongue
And some pple call it culture. SMH, Culture my foot angry

i cherish pples culture and heritage bt definitely not this kind of barbaric act
it shld be abolished asap smiley
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by Nobody: 9:44am On Jul 26, 2014
I have beautiful tribal marks, its so tiny that one would not notice it until you get close to me. smiley i was given due to some reasons and mine is beautiful.

I won't allow any culture and tradition give my child tribal mark.
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by Nobody: 9:47am On Jul 26, 2014
It is as worse as female circumcision! Intact the both should be listed as criminal offences. Cos the bottom line is that it against the wish of the victim.
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by Nobody: 9:51am On Jul 26, 2014
sunnyshayne: It is as worse as female circumcision! Intact the both should be listed as criminal offences. Cos the bottom line is that it against the wish of the victim.
You are right. I was given when I was just 2 months old. I for no gree if to say I don big like this so no be my wish at all.
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by mebad(m): 9:55am On Jul 26, 2014
sarutobie:
you mean adults who fancy it?..does that child being brutally mutilated in the picture have any say in it? do you think the child will like those hideous marks on him when he becomes an adult? don't you think it might become a source of anger, depression and complex to him? when he goes out among people who dont know about his culture? this is not about cultural identity, this is about enlightenment.

I agree with you on some points u raised but our forefathers wore this marks on their faces with pride before colonialisation. As a matter of fact, people will naturally condem what they know nothing of or don't understand.
Those hideous marks are drawn for a reason, the local process is gruesome but the end result is beauty to some pple.

If yOu say enlightenment , who enlightens us on why it's necessary to abolish the practice ?
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by mebad(m): 9:59am On Jul 26, 2014
MzMariah: I have beautiful tribal marks, its so tiny that one would not notice it until you get close to me. smiley i was given due to some reasons and mine is beautiful.

I won't allow any culture and tradition give my child tribal mark.

Like you, I have tiny marks too...you can barely notice it .
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by Nobody: 10:01am On Jul 26, 2014
mebad:

Like you, I have tiny marks too...you can barely notice it .
I just thank God Its tiny. cheesy my tribal mark did not disturb anything o. It did not disturb my fine girl grin na now I even fine pass but u won't give tribal marks to my kids. smiley

1 Like

Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by emperortony: 10:11am On Jul 26, 2014
Where are those group of people that comes up to say we must preserve our culture. thank God my tribe does not require markings so I support team preserve our culture today. Truth be told some of our culture and traditions are obsolete and insane, and should be outgrown. This is more like an abuse to the child, and not to mention the fact that it makes them look comical.

1 Like

Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by louiskay(m): 10:14am On Jul 26, 2014
I get tribal mark ooo................ But dat one no disturb my finE boi at Allll............... Neither as it decrease my self esteem \•/ ........................................................................................... But for No bleeping reason will I give T marks to my wonderful kids ............. To Come ............ LoL
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by sarutobie(m): 10:14am On Jul 26, 2014
mebad:

I agree with you on some points u raised but our forefathers wore this marks on their faces with pride before colonialisation. As a matter of fact, people will naturally condem what they know nothing of or don't understand.
Those hideous marks are drawn for a reason, the local process is gruesome but the end result is beauty to some pple.

If yOu say enlightenment , who enlightens us on why it's necessary to abolish the practice ?
I will tell you who, EDUCATION...education enlightens us.
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by Harmvirus(f): 10:30am On Jul 26, 2014
Tribal wetin? My pikin na cow?
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:37am On Jul 26, 2014
[size=28pt]YES I WILL!

I HAVE TRIBAL MARKS AND SO DOES MY ENTIRE FAMILY AND FUTURE!

SO STFU OP AND STOP SPREADING USELESS PROPAGANDA AGAINST NIGERIAN CULTURE!

STOP CIRCUMCISION AS WELL! WHY DONT YOU DO THAT? FILTHY DOUBLE FACED CREATURE!

JUST BECAUSE YOUR UNCLE JESUS AND FATHER MUHAMAD DID IT?

THE CHILD WILL OBVIOUSLY CRY AT THAT STAGE. WHATS SO BRUTAL ABOUT THAT?

THE PAIN WILL GO OFF AND BE FORGOTTEN IN LESS THAN A WEEK.[/size] angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:39am On Jul 26, 2014
sunnyshayne: It is as worse as female circumcision! Intact the both should be listed as criminal offences. Cos the bottom line is that it against the wish of the victim.

Stop giving birth. it might be against the wish of the "victim".
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:41am On Jul 26, 2014
MzMariah: I just thank God Its tiny. cheesy my tribal mark did not disturb anything o. It did not disturb my fine girl grin na now I even fine pass but u won't give tribal marks to my kids. smiley

louiskay: I get tribal mark ooo................ But dat one no disturb my finE boi at Allll............... Neither as it decrease my self esteem \•/ ........................................................................................... But for No bleeping reason will I give T marks to my wonderful kids ............. To Come ............ LoL

Dont be swayed and brainwashed by these propagandists. They dont even have a Traditional Nigerian name, talk less of Tribal marks and they are here to educate you.
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by Kcfun(m): 12:33pm On Jul 26, 2014
Why going against tribal mark,and promoting tatoo.Naija let promote our culture.
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by mcfarlin(m): 12:36pm On Jul 26, 2014
Kcfun: Why going against tribal mark,and promoting tatoo.Naija let promote our culture.please I said it cause I have tribal marks on my brain

Understood carry on.
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by roufy235(m): 1:42pm On Jul 26, 2014
no
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by Precious37: 2:09pm On Jul 26, 2014
Omo na Yoruba get dat question
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by hayoakins(m): 2:11pm On Jul 26, 2014
Jesus FORBID sad
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jul 26, 2014
Yorubas no go gree o. Na dia i.d b dat
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by benezercast: 2:53pm On Jul 26, 2014
Good day to you all, am here to let you know that you can invest and gain within one week and get your profit Invest; $200 and get $400 in the next one week Invest; $400 and get $600 in the next one week Invest; $500 and get $800 in the next one week Invest; $600 and get $1000 in the next one week Invest; $1000 and get $2000 in the next one week Email us now via email. Dangoteinvestmentcompany0@gmail.com
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jul 26, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

Stop giving birth. it might be against the wish of the "victim".

please what did you say you are suffering from? The cure might not be far away.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Should I Report My Husband To My Parents? / Advice Needed / This Xmas Is My Worst Ever

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.