Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,337 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:11 AM

Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? (6681 Views)

Photo: Would You Let Your Pregnant Wife Go Clubbing Dressed Like This? / Photo: What Would You Do If You Came Home And Saw Your Child Like This!! / Will You Allow Your Wife Use intimacy gadgets When You Are Away? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jul 26, 2014
MzMariah: I have beautiful tribal marks, its so tiny that one would not notice it until you get close to me. smiley i was given due to some reasons and mine is beautiful.
I won't allow any culture and tradition give my child tribal mark.

My mom also. It makes her look more beautiful. People complement her on it.
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by ijbeauty(f): 4:19pm On Jul 26, 2014
Who does that
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by macof(m): 4:49pm On Jul 26, 2014
xamuel17: Tribal marks is highly crude and lame.. I rather opt for tattoos for my kids... They have a tattoo on their forehead, that reads "MADE IN CHINA"

See this demented one..tatoo on his forehead reading "made in china"
This is the modern mental state of Africans, later we wonder why nothing is working in Africa
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by macof(m): 4:54pm On Jul 26, 2014
jonaji: ........it should be abolished ASAP and the government should pass a legislation on tribal markings ....
It has been happening for centuries and it's accepted. But there are those who believe that when it's done on a child who has no say in the matter, its a clear case of child abuse. They've tried to kick against it ...with of course...no luck! What do you think of tribal marks on children? Let's discuss!
angela98: This is child abuse pure and simple. sad
Khalessi: I don't see the need for it now, in the old days it was justifiable but now not so much.its child abuse and should carry either a sentence or fine.

ruthy43: It should 2 abolished,i cant imagne d pains dat child ll b going tru. : angry angry
banega: Total madness •
Zizicardo: God forbid.
Warlord3000: Thunder fire anybody yansh wey go even touch my kids..

Not to talk of putting a mark on his or her face..

Baba God go get visitor that day walahi

While you all are at it. Pls advocate for the abolishing of Christian and Islamic circumcision. It's child abuse and you don't know if the child would prefer his foreskin.
The pain the child would go through is much too gruesome
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by macof(m): 4:56pm On Jul 26, 2014
MadCow1:

Do you want to know why I disagree win you? Our culture and heritage is indeed worth preserving but there are those aspects of it that were done in ignorance and based on the exposure afforded to them at that time that we must do away with today because we are wiser and more exposed.

Some historical accounts have blamed the tribal marking of children on a spiritual phenomenon called Ogbanje and Abikun. Now as much as there isn't much science to disprove the existence or not of these spiritual beings, we know that facially mutilating a child's face may come back to [b]affect that child in the future
.[/b]

Wat effects??
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by macof(m): 4:57pm On Jul 26, 2014
somcherry: Disgusting embarassed
i can't even imagine this useless tribal marks on my beautiful face tongue
And some pple call it culture. SMH, Culture my foot angry

i cherish pples culture and heritage bt definitely not this kind of barbaric act
it shld be abolished asap smiley

Whether u beautiful or not nobody asked u..mumu

You should also not circumcise ur offspring
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by macof(m): 4:58pm On Jul 26, 2014
emperortony: Where are those group of people that comes up to say we must preserve our culture. thank God my tribe does not require markings so I support team preserve our culture today. Truth be told some of our culture and traditions are obsolete and insane, and should be outgrown. This is more like an abuse to the child, and not to mention the fact that it makes them look comical.

It is ur mentality which has been washed to view African culture as comical.

It is infact ur mentality that is comical
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by macof(m): 4:59pm On Jul 26, 2014
sarutobie:
I will tell you who, EDUCATION...education enlightens us.
Education from who? Europe?
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by macof(m): 5:00pm On Jul 26, 2014
hayoakins: Jesus FORBID sad
Lol but Jesus couldn't forbid his own circumcision.
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by emperortony: 6:07pm On Jul 26, 2014
macof:

It is ur mentality which has been washed to view African culture as comical.

It is infact ur mentality that is comical

Next time don't quote me, am not even sure if you are human!!! Any reasonable human would have made his/her point without quoting me. Abi I resemble your papa Or you just want to be noticed. And As to my initial statement If you are a human and can read correctly I said some of our culture and traditions need to be outgrown. Maybe you probably have some of those horrible marks on your face, and you think everybody must look like an animal such as your self. And please prove to me that you are a human by not quoting me again, because am too busy to reply an animal. I pray you are human though.
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by louiskay(m): 6:07pm On Jul 26, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

Dont be swayed and brainwashed by these propagandists. They dont even have a Traditional Nigerian name, talk less of Tribal marks and they are here to educate you.
[color=#990000][/color]. Brain wash ke......... Me gAn brainwasher ................ No onE is here to educate anybody abt anytin ......... Its just an ordinary observation .............. Just like an opinion poll ....... Say ur mind ......... Dats my view abt tribal mark .............. And ave seen. Handsome guys and cute chicks wit T mark and still look cute ............... So dats my view abt it .......
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by mcfarlin(m): 6:14pm On Jul 26, 2014
macof:

While you all are at it. Pls advocate for the abolishing of pagan fetish and ritual killings . It's child and adults killing for sacrifice is abominable and all pagans should be killed

Now u are talking.
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by somcherry(f): 6:23pm On Jul 26, 2014
macof:

Whether u beautiful or not nobody asked u..mumu

You should also not circumcise ur offspring

Do i know you?undecided
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by spinna: 7:50pm On Jul 26, 2014
Yeah ditch tribal marks its barbaric ....

but feel free to tattoo, pierce and stud as you like... you can even be gay ... white people do it so it must be civilised undecided

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13adasQYctM

i look forward to a resurgence of this culture ...maybe in form of non permanent tatoos or just drawing the markings for occasions. this is what makes us who we are. smiley

1 Like

Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by BravooJoe(m): 7:53pm On Jul 26, 2014
jayseehe: where are those people saying we shouldn't ditch our culture

una qet 1 abi!? No lie o!¡! cheesy
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by Jovie: 7:55pm On Jul 26, 2014
Dat picture OP uploaded is scary! I personally don't like tribal marks and i think most of the reasons they used to give marks in the past probably don't hold water now....
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jul 26, 2014
I didn't say anything ooo

1 Like

Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by MadCow1: 9:34pm On Jul 26, 2014
macof:

Wat effects??

Self esteem issues come to mind. You don't want a kid growing up with a scarified face and feeling like an outcast or hating his or her own face because it's been deformed with marks.

1 Like

Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by LyfeJennings(m): 11:28pm On Jul 26, 2014
repogirl: Does it still happen? Me, I have tribal marks on my face, nothing scary but its there sha, most times I even forget its there. I'm the only one who was given of all my siblings. I thought people didn't do it anymore cos I dont see kids with it these days.

omo u fine die
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by macof(m): 11:32pm On Jul 26, 2014
mcfarlin:

Now u are talking.

You are a demented bastrd, never modify my comments like that again.
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by macof(m): 11:34pm On Jul 26, 2014
MadCow1:

Self esteem issues come to mind. You don't want a kid growing up with a scarified face and feeling like an outcast or hating his or her own face because it's been deformed with marks.

All boils down to the dysfunctional society that sees everything native as primitive or demonic.
Not the person with the marks
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by macof(m): 11:39pm On Jul 26, 2014
emperortony:

Next time don't quote me, am not even sure if you are human!!! Any reasonable human would have made his/her point without quoting me. Abi I resemble your papa Or you just want to be noticed. And As to my initial statement If you are a human and can read correctly I said some of our culture and traditions need to be outgrown. Maybe you probably have some of those horrible marks on your face, and you think everybody must look like an animal such as your self. And please prove to me that you are a human by not quoting me again, because am too busy to reply an animal. I pray you are human though.

Look at this totally crazy one undecided
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by mcfarlin(m): 11:40pm On Jul 26, 2014
macof:
My father is a demented bastard thanks forvtrying to teach me his stoopid son some manners.

thank God that u realized that early enough

dont thank me

THANK GOD.
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by macof(m): 12:13am On Jul 27, 2014
mcfarlin:

thank God that u realized that early enough

dont thank me

THANK GOD.

Your mother is a slut, ur stupid idiotic pedo father is a rapist and wat can we expect from you?
Thank God?? ur God sent u to come here acting as a criminal like ur useless Father?
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by mcfarlin(m): 12:26am On Jul 27, 2014
macof:

My mother is a slut, my stupid idiotic pedo father is a rapist and wat do you expect from me?
Thank the gods?? The gods sent me to come here acting as a criminal like my useless Father?

wink pity yaself na. tongue
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by Ndipe(m): 12:58am On Jul 27, 2014
I bet you if this child scarification was practised in the west and endorsed, Nigerians will have followed through by now.

Do I support it? No. Now, let me ask, what about tatoos that are now adopted by some of our youths all because it's done by certain people in America?
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by armyofone(m): 1:24am On Jul 27, 2014
If done by ones personal choice, no problem...their choice/personal decision undecided

But when parents start lashing out painful marks on a kids' face/body cry, that's a big no no.

Ndipe: I bet you if this child scarification was practised in the west and endorsed, Nigerians will have followed through by now.
Do I support it? No. Now, let me ask, what about tatoos that are now adopted by some of our youths all because it's done by certain people in America?
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by MadCow1: 8:14am On Jul 27, 2014
macof:

All boils down to the dysfunctional society that sees everything native as primitive or demonic.
Not the person with the marks

Societies dysfunctionality or not, it's still a big problem for the child both psychologically and more. Imagine you growing up to meet some giant lines running through your face?

I will only support tribal markings if the person wearing them got them as an adult

1 Like

Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by Infoay: 7:41pm On Jul 27, 2014
This isn't fair!
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by macof(m): 8:18am On Jul 28, 2014
MadCow1:

Societies dysfunctionality or not, it's still a big problem for the child both psychologically and more. Imagine you growing up to meet some giant lines running through your face?

I will only support tribal markings if the person wearing them got them as an adult
There are millions of people with markings that tell different stories and represent different identities...if the dysfunctional society of today can't be "educated" enough to learn their worth to those who care about their markings then you all have a problem not the person with the marks
Ok let's leave it here...am done
Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by MadCow1: 10:33am On Jul 29, 2014
macof:
There are millions of people with markings that tell different stories and represent different identities...if the dysfunctional society of today can't be "educated" enough to learn their worth to those who care about their markings then you all have a problem not the person with the marks
Ok let's leave it here...am done

[b]You can't blame society for this..

A child who has no clue whatsoever is branded even before he or she can make a decision and grows up to find these marks indelible and you want to blame society? Society played no part in the markings whatsoever.

It's because society is now better educated and wiser than those who started this practice that we advocate that it be stopped. Just because a practice is traditional on nature does not make it acceptable else we may have as well allowed the killing of twins to continue.

Like tattoos, it should be an informed decision for the wearer to make not to be forced on a child.

And if you must continue this practice, then keep that child within that smaller society that accepts this practice and not how're that child into he larger society and expect the larger society to change to such a backwards and outdated practice. Seal the musician comes to mind. Look at how much damage this facial scarification did to him. Even with advances in modern medicine, the damage has not been fixed.

Also, let's not ignore the crudeness of the practice. The unsanitary conditions under which it is done. Just cos we don't keep records, I'm am sure the number of kids that have died from infections brought about by this practice would be staggering.

Finally, the most important individual is the wearer and if their consent was never factored into the decision making process for such a permanent facial alteration, that carries to real health benefits, then it should be banned.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? by macof(m): 3:53pm On Jul 29, 2014
MadCow1:

[b]You can't blame society for this..

A child who has no clue whatsoever is branded even before he or she can make a decision and grows up to find these marks indelible and you want to blame society? Society played no part in the markings whatsoever.

It's because society is now better educated and wiser than those who started this practice that we advocate that it be stopped. Just because a practice is traditional on nature does not make it acceptable else we may have as well allowed the killing of twins to continue.

Like tattoos, it should be an informed decision for the wearer to make not to be forced on a child.

And if you must continue this practice, then keep that child within that smaller society that accepts this practice and not how're that child into he larger society and expect the larger society to change to such a backwards and outdated practice. Seal the musician comes to mind. Look at how much damage this facial scarification did to him. Even with advances in modern medicine, the damage has not been fixed.

Also, let's not ignore the crudeness of the practice. The unsanitary conditions under which it is done. Just cos we don't keep records, I'm am sure the number of kids that have died from infections brought about by this practice would be staggering.

Finally, the most important individual is the wearer and if their consent was never factored into the decision making process for such a permanent facial alteration, that carries to real health benefits, then it should be banned.[/b]

I thought I said let's leave it undecided it's at dat precise moment you type this long shiit. how is the marking on ur neighbors face affecting you You won't mind you business and stick to your life

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Should I Report My Husband To My Parents? / Advice Needed / This Xmas Is My Worst Ever

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.