Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,128 members, 7,818,381 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:00 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (121) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1352858 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DammyChrist(m): 8:18pm On Sep 23, 2016
Lollyij:
The Manhattan GRE strategy guide... inside it contains practice questions at the end of each modules of the Quant.. don't know of English tho.. ....in each modules contains Easy, Medium and Hard practice question set..... The easy and medium questions are okay... but the hard practice question set is crazy..not getting it like dat... pls gurus on dis..ur advice will be needed... cause am battling with dat part gan...

You don't have to be discouraged at all. The hard practice questions are not likely to be seen on the test day as Manhattan asserted.
However, keep practicing them, solve the problems and check the strategies in which they used in solving the problems,take note of your weak points and review the strategies learnt again. I'm currently on the 4th pack IE geometry.
I did algebra, number properties and fractions and my score has improved in the hard practice questions section from 13/20 In the first two to 18/20 in the third after reviewing the Manhattan strategies of providing solutions.
Try as much as possible to avoid silly errors too.

I hope this helps

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by temi4fash(m): 10:08pm On Sep 23, 2016
happyday:

Your test is here already, and you'll need all the ginger you can muster to perform your best. Really, the perfect situation is to practice enough until you consistently get your dream scores in your practice tests, and then you go ahead to register for a test date. But, who says everything must be perfect before we take that leap of faith?

Don't want to sound like anything, but you'll need to believe in yourself. You might not know it, but you've improved since you started your practice. Don't forget God still works, he will be of help.

Just don't take this impression to the test center. It will sap out that energy out of you, real quick. Don't fret if you don't understand any vocab, ETS almost always test the words in context these days, and you might find those questions simpler than you expected. Passages are always annoying, so prepare for it. Get used to it. Plan to read it once, noting salient points as you go along.

How fast can you get the big picture of any GRE-style passage? This will be key on test day.

Come back and share your testimony, bro!

Bro,

Am back, I did my exams on Thursday.

Had 300 Verbal 149 and quant: 151

Was quite disappointed with my quant but I give all the thanks to God.

Am unto the next phase.

A family friend wants me to apply to University of Minnesota twin cities says he would paid the application fees.

My course is Electrical Engineering.

WES converted GPA is 3.17/4

Can you suggest some other schools not too far from Minnesota?

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jlakesideo(f): 11:31pm On Sep 23, 2016
Please , who can help me with the link to all these test.. I only just downloaded the PowerPrep test from the ETS but I'd still appreciate other test like Manhattan , crunchprep, Kaplan , Princeton etc.. I just need how to download or register for this test to prepare myself.. My date is fast approaching...

drhopeful pennstate happyday cupsy cuspy temi4fash ipledge ...
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 7:46am On Sep 24, 2016
temi4fash:

This link gives a comprehensive list of schools offering your course. I used it to arrive at sensible schools for my own course taking into consideration tuition, toefl/gre requirements and so on.

http://www.findengineeringschools.org/Search/Majors/electrical.htm

jlakesideo:
Please , who can help me with the link to all these test.. I only just downloaded the PowerPrep test from the ETS but I'd still appreciate other test like Manhattan , crunchprep, Kaplan , Princeton etc..

You can not cover all the materials on test preparation. Manhattan online test that I know requires you to spend money.

Work with PowerPrep after reading through the study materials (ETS, PrincetonRev, NovaMaths, manhattan 5lb), that's MY plan.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 7:59am On Sep 24, 2016
temi4fash:

Bro,

Am unto the next phase.

A family friend wants me to apply to University of Minnesota twin cities says he would paid the application fees.

Congrats on your scores. University of Minnesota would be too ambitious for your profile. Please don't waste that application fee. Do some more research on average ranked schools. You will surely find one or more that match your interests.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 8:09am On Sep 24, 2016
Beautiful Saturday morning it is... My TOEFL test score just came in. shocked

R28 L26 S26 W26
Total 106 smiley

All the preparation paid off. Relieved....

I used roughly 10days, jonsing for a better part of it lipsrsealed. Had been preparing for the GRE verbal, so the TOEFL was somehow covered.

How I achieved my score -
Reading: This was straight forward, only got myself acquainted with what I was expecting on test day. Got question answering and time saving tips from Notefull videos on youtube. Previous knowledge of secondary school comprehension passage came into play.
TOEFL Reading easy sha. grin

Listening: Was also straight forward, Used ETS official test prep materials 3 and 4 (these had audio embedded in the booklet) + Notefull videos.

Speaking: Used majorly Notefull videos for the Speaking part. Other materials were dribbling me, Notefull had a defined formular.

Writing: Used Kaplan GRE booklet that taught about grammar (before the Issue and Argument tasks). Kaplan TOEFL showed me examples of what Writing answers looked like. Helped alot. Here, Notefull and Cambridge dey dribble me.

#MoneyCannotWaste cool

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by femmieday1(m): 8:29am On Sep 24, 2016
PLEASE I need contact of any student in University of Ife asap he/she must be a frequent user of the school library contact me laglaw01@gmail.com or 0701 732 8643 URGENTLY NEEDED CASH IS INVOLVED O
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Lollyij(m): 8:42am On Sep 24, 2016
Thanks bro... will keep trying.. just finished topic 2 Fraction decimal and percentage... but wait o.... geometry is not topic.. ... is it better to skip to number properties before geometry?...
DammyChrist:

You don't have to be discouraged at all. The hard practice questions are not likely to be seen on the test day as Manhattan asserted.
However, keep practicing them, solve the problems and check the strategies in which they used in solving the problems,take note of your weak points and review the strategies learnt again. I'm currently on the 4th pack IE geometry.
I did algebra, number properties and fractions and my score has improved in the hard practice questions section from 13/20 In the first two to 18/20 in the third after reviewing the Manhattan strategies of providing solutions.
Try as much as possible to avoid silly errors too.

I hope this helps
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 8:46am On Sep 24, 2016
iCool:

R28 L26 S26 W26
Total 106 smiley

I used roughly 10days, jonsing for a better part of it lipsrsealed. Had been preparing for the GRE verbal, so the TOEFL was somehow covered.

Reading: This was straight forward, only got myself acquainted with what I was expecting on test day. Got question answering and time saving tips from Notefull videos on youtube. Previous knowledge of secondary school comprehension passage came into play.

Listening: Was also straight forward, Used ETS official test prep materials 3 and 4 (these had audio embedded in the booklet) + Notefull videos.

Speaking: Used majorly Notefull videos for the Speaking part. Other materials were dribbling me, Notefull had a defined formular.

Writing: Used Kaplan GRE booklet that taught about grammar (before the Issue and Argument tasks). Kaplan TOEFL showed me examples of what Writing answers looked like. Helped alot. Here, Notefull and Cambridge dey dribble me.

#MoneyCannotWaste cool
Wow! Great scores! When are you writing GRE?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ipledge01: 8:47am On Sep 24, 2016
iCool:

R28 L26 S26 W26
Total 106 smiley

#MoneyCannotWaste cool

Congrat Boss. Now go show GRE wassup

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DammyChrist(m): 9:38am On Sep 24, 2016
Lollyij:
Thanks bro... will keep trying.. just finished topic 2 Fraction decimal and percentage... but wait o.... geometry is not topic.. ... is it better to skip to number properties before geometry?...
Geometry is topic 3 actually.I didn't follow the normal order but you can follow the right other,there isn't any big deal about that, just get the problem solving strategies involved in each section.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 10:21am On Sep 24, 2016
drhopeful:
Wow! Great scores! When are you writing GRE?

12th October. Thanks.

ipledge01:

Congrat Boss. Now go show GRE wassup

My man, I will try my best.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cuspy(m): 10:46am On Sep 24, 2016
Congrats bro!
Money must not waste at all at all.

Pls can you upload your TOEFL preparatory materials on dropbox and share the link?

Make I start to garner materials. Would be writing it next year.

Congrats again bro!

iCool:

R28 L26 S26 W26
Total 106 smiley

#MoneyCannotWaste cool
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cuspy(m): 10:59am On Sep 24, 2016
I really don't know much about those online practice tests yet. I make use of the practice tests at the end/beginning of each book for now.

I suggest you lookup kaomanfen.com suggested by SirRiddy, I saw some practice tests there. (Use Google chrome browser so you can translate to English seamlessly).

jlakesideo:
Please , who can help me with the link to all these test.. I only just downloaded the PowerPrep test from the ETS but I'd still appreciate other test like Manhattan , crunchprep, Kaplan , Princeton etc.. I just need how to download or register for this test to prepare myself.. My date is fast approaching...

drhopeful pennstate happyday cupsy cuspy temi4fash ipledge ...
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by baum1: 4:30pm On Sep 24, 2016
drhopeful:
Brown!!!!! Apply already girl!!! I wish I could get a Prof to talk to me like that. You are so lucky! My own GPA is 4.3/5 BSc, 4/4 MSc and no one is replying my mails, let alone talk to me.... cry

Your profile looks very good.

What did you study at BSc and MSc? Have you done the GRE and TOEFL? Are you fixed on North America or you would like to consider Europe as well?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by temi4fash(m): 8:01pm On Sep 24, 2016
drhopeful:
Congrats on your scores. University of Minnesota would be too ambitious for your profile. Please don't waste that application fee. Do some more research on average ranked schools. You will surely find one or more that match your interests.

Thanks boss.. I know too..

But since he wants to pay the application fee and insisted i applied and its is money not mine.

But can i find safe schools not too far from Minneapolis or Minnesota
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by temi4fash(m): 8:07pm On Sep 24, 2016
iCool:

This link gives a comprehensive list of schools offering your course. I used it to arrive at sensible schools for my own course taking into consideration tuition, toefl/gre requirements and so on.

http://www.findengineeringschools.org/Search/Majors/electrical.htm

Thanks boss..

these was so helpful
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 9:35pm On Sep 24, 2016
@temi4fash. You are welcome.

@cuspy. The videos are on YouTube. I will add the books to dropbox later.

...Some schools and their wonderful requirements. angry

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by strictlynaija: 7:14am On Sep 25, 2016
Hello guys, I plan to register for GRE this week. For those that registered recently,

How much is it
What is the earliest date I can get to write the test

cc: icool
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 10:23am On Sep 25, 2016
baum1:

Your profile looks very good.

What did you study at BSc and MSc? Have you done the GRE and TOEFL? Are you fixed on North America or you would like to consider Europe as well?
Thank you. But I know good GPAs in themselves are nothing if other parts of app are rubbish. BSc Pet Eng, MSc Mat Eng. Yes I wrote GRE but I am not happy with my scores, so I am rewriting. I am writing TOEFL after the GRE.

Yes I am fixed on North America now. For Europe, I am only interested in UK. Tried but no funding.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 11:34am On Sep 25, 2016
strictlynaija:
Hello guys, I plan to register for GRE this week. For those that registered recently,

How much is it
What is the earliest date I can get to write the test

cc: icool

I used a consultancy company in p.h, paid 60k.

I checked yesterday for test centres in Lagos, saw last week October and 1st & 2nd week November.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by strictlynaija: 12:36pm On Sep 25, 2016
iCool:

I used a consultancy company in p.h, paid 60k.

I checked yesterday for test centres in Lagos, saw last week October and 1st & 2nd week November.

Okay. Thanks bro.

PS: Who knows any reputable consultancy firm in Lagos and how much do they register candidates for GRE
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 5:15pm On Sep 25, 2016
temi4fash:

Bro,

Am unto the next phase.

Good scores. Yeah, unto the next phase. But I must ask, must it be Minnesota? Or do you plan staying with the family friend for the duration of your program. Expand your choices. I don't think location should be a primary yardstick for school selection.
I've an idea though. To start with, send an email to the graduate program co-ordinator of Electrical Engr at UMinn Twin Cities. Tell him/her a brief profile (Your school, GPA and experience, briefly), pick a prof whose research interest you, and highlight how you plan to contribute to his research using your experiences. Add your GRE scores (with the score report, if available).

DON'T mention funding or money.

Ask what other things you need to submit to start applying. Be enthusiastic and don't whine over the GRE score, or anything. Proof-read the mail, but don't expect a reply.

Wait for a few days, then send a gentle reminder alongside the original email, while attaching your Statement of Purpose and transcripts.

Let's see what happens.

All the best.

5 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cuspy(m): 6:13pm On Sep 25, 2016
iCool:
@temi4fash. You are welcome.

@cuspy. The videos are on YouTube. I will add the books to dropbox later.

...Some schools are their wonderful requirements. angry

Ok. Thanks Bro.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by temi4fash(m): 10:58pm On Sep 25, 2016
happyday:

Good scores. Yeah, unto the next phase. But I must ask, must it be Minnesota? Or do you plan staying with the family friend for the duration of your program. Expand your choices. I don't think location should be a primary yardstick for school selection.
I've an idea though. To start with, send an email to the graduate program co-ordinator of Electrical Engr at UMinn Twin Cities. Tell him/her a brief profile (Your school, GPA and experience, briefly), pick a prof whose research interest you, and highlight how you plan to contribute to his research using your experiences. Add your GRE scores (with the score report, if available).

DON'T mention funding or money.

Ask what other things you need to submit to start applying. Be enthusiastic and don't whine over the GRE score, or anything. Proof-read the mail, but don't expect a reply.

Wait for a few days, then send a gentle reminder alongside the original email, while attaching your Statement of Purpose and transcripts.

Let's see what happens.

All the best.

Thanks boss..

These highly appreciated

Yes, I want to stay with my cousin in minnesota and my aunty stays there too.

He was the one that insisted I apply there amd he would pay the application fees, though am still in search for other schools too that will provide me with better offers and opportunities

Thanks again
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 11:00pm On Sep 25, 2016
temi4fash:

Thanks boss..

These highly appreciated

Yes, I want to stay with my cousin in minnesota and my aunty stays there too.

He was the one that insisted I apply there amd he would pay the application fees, though am still in search for other schools too that will provide me with better offers and opportunities
Thank God. So, let's see how the email contact stuff turns up.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by nellytoxy: 11:59pm On Sep 25, 2016
Please guys I need advice I want to take the GRE by November can you add me to the Facebook group and also I need a study mate we can share ideas preferably some one good in verbal please add me to the group please
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kessel: 12:24am On Sep 26, 2016
TOEFL result out and scored 78
What can I do with this score now.... embarassed
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by harffie(m): 2:49am On Sep 26, 2016
DanjaNinja:

The GRE is one of the many requirement for Graduate admission in the US, Canada and lots of other developed countries. For Job applications, i think SHL and GMAT are more suitable.
I would to take the GRE and TOEFL but I don't know which institution to choose, ets.org or gregmattoefl.com, any experience??
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OGreene: 11:37am On Sep 26, 2016
Good morning people, pls i need guidance.

Am about registering for the GRE, to write in Lagos, early November. The issue is that i might travel to the US for a brief meeting that same week. Am waiting to get the confirmation if i will be attending or not, i will be notified October ending. And i dont want to wait till Oct ending to register for GRE because the dates are filling up pretty fast!

Now can i go ahead and register on ETS today and select Nov, den if i will be in the US dat Nov, will they allow me to write in the US? Is this even possible? Please make una epp me. angry
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OGreene: 12:32pm On Sep 26, 2016
have you paid? How did you do it pls?
I wan register today.

nellytoxy:
Please guys I need advice I want to take the GRE by November can you add me to the Facebook group and also I need a study mate we can share ideas preferably some one good in verbal please add me to the group please
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Socratez20(m): 1:05pm On Sep 26, 2016
Hello guys i am taking the exam by december 1st please can u add me to the facebook group, my mail is princeawesome111@yahoo.com thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: FunnyDude(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.