Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,161 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:07 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (131) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1347854 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Glowrie22: 9:58am On Oct 13, 2016
drhopeful:
Oya oh! Where are our today's GRE blasters? Come and announce your wonderful scores! #@iCool, Glowrie22 and ChemEngr01#

Well, I didn't do very well.. Quant messed me up
Verbal -159 Quant - 145
Analytical writing was pretty easy.. issue essay was a topic I had practiced with before.

I wish all those still preparing to write success! smiley

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pennstate(m): 12:20pm On Oct 13, 2016
iCool:
^Why do we keep seeing 'beautiful scores' as flops? cheesy [s]I just hope we are not being greedy by wanting more[/s]

The GRE isn't the greatest admission requirement. A 'bad' score would hurt a good profile tho. cry

What is a bad score?
I don't understand them honestly, except they are just typing for typing sake. People with 320+ still gets admission rejects.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 1:57pm On Oct 13, 2016
Congratulations to those who just wrote their tests. Please keep searching for schools. There is always a school for everyone. All the best to future test takers. smiley
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 1:59pm On Oct 13, 2016
adetola007:
I wrote my exam yesterday and I totally flopped. I had 312 (Q158 V154). What can I do with this score now? SirRiddy, can I apply to kansas state university with this score? My profile currently is GPA 4.58/5, toefl 98, gre 312.
Bros that is a good score especially with that GPA. Do send an email to the grad coordinator of your program. Also try to contact the professors you would like to work with. Please do not cold email all the professors in the department, this can be annoying to some of them. Cheer up Bro!

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aanexplus(m): 3:00pm On Oct 13, 2016
Ajibade105:

Please add me... 08068053635
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Hisvoice(m): 4:44pm On Oct 13, 2016
iCool:
@Hisvoice.

Thanks Bro. I appreciate
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 5:43pm On Oct 13, 2016
iCool:

Will edit my summary if I remember anything else.

Prepare your mind for noise if writing on a week day (Monday to Friday) in p.h, those school children sabi make noise.
Dress light too, no air-conditioning. Na fan dey there o.

Very key point - after all your practice, conclude with Manhattan and return back to the ETS practice questions for Q and V to get your mind in the ETS model. It is very close to the actual test but requires a lot of reasoning.

How do people score 170 on these tests!??
Congrats iCool. Did you mention what your V score was? I don't think the Q is bad. Just target the right schools.

Meanwhile, what the hell My centre is in ph. I cannot handle noise at all when I am trying to concentrate, let alone when trying to decipher those hellish RCs. When I wrote the first time in August, they were on holidays. So everywhere was quiet. I am super nervous!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 5:46pm On Oct 13, 2016
Glowrie22:

Well, I didn't do very well.. Quant messed me up
Verbal -159 Quant - 145
Analytical writing was pretty easy.. issue essay was a topic I had practiced with before.

I wish all those still preparing to write success! smiley
I am so sorry about your Q score. But your V is super!!!! Congrats. I wish I could have that. What is your next step?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by crowntoro(f): 7:00pm On Oct 13, 2016
Hello guys, sorry to derail on this thread, please I need description on how to get to Obafemi Awolowo way , Ikeja from Toll gate at Seven up. Thank u guys
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:23pm On Oct 13, 2016
sirRiddy:

Bros that is a good score especially with that GPA. Do send an email to the grad coordinator of your program. Also try to contact the professors you would like to work with. Please do not cold email all the professors in the department, this can be annoying to some of them. Cheer up Bro!
Thanks boss
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 8:05pm On Oct 13, 2016
drhopeful:
Congrats iCool. Did you mention what your V score was? I don't think the Q is bad. Just target the right schools.

Meanwhile, what the hell My centre is in ph. I cannot handle noise at all when I am trying to concentrate, let alone when trying to decipher those hellish RCs. When I wrote the first time in August, they were on holidays. So everywhere was quiet. I am super nervous!

Thanks. I have already pruned my choice of schools, a 159 might hurt my profile for my current selection.

The 'Light' noise comes every 30mins I guess, after they are done with each class. It is not something to worry about, just have it in mind that it will happen and it lasts for a few minutes.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 8:12pm On Oct 13, 2016
ChemEngr01:

Well, I didn't exactly blast the GRE. I'm not much of a storyteller so I apologize if this isn't as interesting as you guys would want.

I had 316(Q160, V156)
Issue essay was quite straightforward; something about the government funding indigent students. I was able to come up with 3 solid body paragraphs and even had time to proofread. Argument essay was quite different from what I had learned. The argument was based on only one premise, so I found it hard to come up with three assumptions. However I still wrote a descent essay but didn't have time to proofread.

First verbal was alright but I didn't have time to finish RC questions. First Quant was simple; no traps, no tough questions. Second verbal was not too tough as well(this confirmed my suspicion that I didn't do well in the first grin) but still I didn't finish RCs. Second Quant was tough and had mad traps. I ran out of time on the 17th question. Third verbal was just there.

For those that are yet to write the test, please practise with at least 3 full length practise tests to know where u need to work on and how to manage time. All the best!

i wish i could b lyk u, pls share tips on how u prepared, d books u used and all
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 8:15pm On Oct 13, 2016
crowntoro:
Hello guys, sorry to derail on this thread, please I need description on how to get to Obafemi Awolowo way , Ikeja from Toll gate at Seven up. Thank u guys

enter a bus 2 ikeja under bridge, dats all
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by crowntoro(f): 8:40pm On Oct 13, 2016
Gunbiz:

enter a bus 2 ikeja under bridge, dats all
Thank you.... God bless you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Rmany1704: 9:19pm On Oct 13, 2016
yorex2011:
For those who are having problems preparing or just need some more motivation, i could create a whatsapp group, I'm not writing the gre for now, but I've gone through some resources and truthfully, one should be able to score 320+ easily. Tho i plan to score 340 when its my time to write it, i may be able to help folk out...

The first time i tried any gre Quant question, i had about 19 over 20.. The quants are the best bet for scoring high generally.

Personally i don't like verbal stuff s but thankfully, the gre has a standard which can be learned.

It would really be nice conversing with folks here on a chat group cos everyone has a common goal.

Goodluck to you all...

Me I'm still stuck trying to gather more experience as a masters in software engineering no be child's play

Tanx in advance Bro
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ChemEngr01: 9:24pm On Oct 13, 2016
OluDare01:
ChemEngr01 nice one.
drhopeful:
Congrats! You blasted!!!! Gotta love your V score! I wish I could get your same issue essay topic. Really straight forward! Good luck with your applications.
cuspy:

Congratulations.

Those are sweet scores.

Thanks for sharing, it goes a long way in giving us confidence.

All the best in your application.
Thank you guys. All the best to drhopeful as you rewrite. All the best to cuspy as well.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Rmany1704: 9:27pm On Oct 13, 2016
Good-day,

Please am a first class student in botany, what are my chances of getting a scholarship in USA with a good GRE score and I also need good schools to apply to.

Thanks in advance.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ChemEngr01: 9:33pm On Oct 13, 2016
Gunbiz:

i wish i could b lyk u, pls share tips on how u prepared, d books u used and all
Honestly, all the materials you need have been mentioned on this thread. For quant, I used Nova primarily and ran through most of the other books. I used Princeton review, official guide and magoosh videos for verbal. Magoosh videos were very helpful for TC and SE.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:39pm On Oct 13, 2016
Please. I am a distinction graduate of a polytechnic. I will like to ask my questions as thus:
1. What school will take my HND cert. for masters
2. Taking GRE exam, how many years can I use it for admission. Here I mean if I take the exam this year, and I was not admitted this year, can I still use next year and how many more years

Thanks in anticipation

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by djPyper: 11:36pm On Oct 13, 2016
hey guyz, for the benefit of those considering wether to write the gre paper based or IBT, i've written both and the basic differences are as follows:
1) with the paper based theres no extra experimental section, just 2 quant and 2 verbal sections of 25 questions each.
2) with the ibt, if you do well on one section the next is very hard, but with paper the questions are of medium difficulty with just a few hard ones.
so the major pros of IBT are that you get to see ur scores immediately and also its easier to format ur essays as opposed to using eraser to correct mistakes, I wrote the IBT about two years ago and scored poorly , so I decided to try the paper test this year though my scores are not yet out, im confident I did very well cos the two sections were easy, and i was more comfortable and faster working on paper as opposed to staring at a computer screen. i'll return to to give my testimony when my scores are out. I wish us all success.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 3:00am On Oct 14, 2016
I have been following the thread avidly since August. My test is in a week's time. Hopefully, I would be here with good news.

Cheers.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 4:02am On Oct 14, 2016
Scholastica16:
I have been following the thread avidly since August. My test is in a week's time. Hopefully, I would be here with good news.

Cheers.
Yes! We await your testimony. Go conquer.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 4:03am On Oct 14, 2016
adeboy95:
Please. I am a distinction graduate of a polytechnic. I will like to ask my questions as thus:
1. What school will take my HND cert. for masters
2. Taking GRE exam, how many years can I use it for admission. Here I mean if I take the exam this year, and I was not admitted this year, can I still use next year and how many more years

Thanks in anticipation
GRE is valid for 5 years.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 4:19am On Oct 14, 2016
ChemEngr01:

Honestly, all the materials you need have been mentioned on this thread. For quant, I used Nova primarily and ran through most of the other books. I used Princeton review, official guide and magoosh videos for verbal. Magoosh videos were very helpful for TC and SE.

does dat mean u knew ur vocab thru magoosh?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ChemEngr01: 7:36am On Oct 14, 2016
Gunbiz:

does dat mean u knew ur vocab thru magoosh?
I used Barron's top 800 words. Please note that knowing 'big words' is not enough; context is equally important, which is where magoosh videos will help u.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ChemEngr01: 9:55am On Oct 14, 2016
Drhopeful, you once mentioned a book on how to write a good SOP...can I get it pls? I just sent you a pm with my email address.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 12:22pm On Oct 14, 2016
Writing mine next Thurs in PH. I'm quite scared oo, just took my leave from work few days before my test so as to concentrate more in d test prep, but surprisingly discovered that there are so many things that I'd need to cover for d test, and I ain't got enough time to cover these again. I refuse to loose my confidence because of this... smiley

Please guys that wrote theirs 2days back. Did u practice with d 2 powerprep tests before ur exam? And please can u share how ur scores in those 2 powerprep tests compare to ur real test score??

Cc: ChemEngr01, iCool, Glowrie22, adetola007.

Thanks in anticipation of ur swift response.

God's favour to us writing next week...

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by layez: 1:34pm On Oct 14, 2016
Kudos to everyone oooo..... All the best to Future writers and Thumbs up to those that have written.... Dope scores!!!! All the Best
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 3:58pm On Oct 14, 2016

Please guys that wrote theirs 2days back. Did u practice with d 2 powerprep tests before ur exam? And please can u share how ur scores in those 2 powerprep tests compare to ur real test score??

Powerprep gives an idea of what will be tested on exam day.

Exam is simply an application of 'light' reasoning. Normal maths you have been practising all along but you need to reason out how to go about finding a solution. Reason out what method to use.

If you don't reason out fast enough a technique to employ to solve a question, you waste valuable time. Doing the calculation (which most times doesn't require a calculator) is fast.

Can't say more for confidentiality sake.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 6:44pm On Oct 14, 2016
ChemEngr01:
Drhopeful, you once mentioned a book on how to write a good SOP...can I get it pls? I just sent you a pm with my email address.
Hi ChemEngr01, It was not me. Perhaps it was @happyday.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Cephas0009: 6:53pm On Oct 14, 2016
ChemEngr01:

Oga! I join others to congratulate on blasting the GRe smiley... I could help out with d book on sop, u can send me a pm or ignore if drhopeful already resplied... cheers n all d best with your application
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ChemEngr01: 7:42pm On Oct 14, 2016
Cephas0009:

Oga! I join others to congratulate on blasting the GRe smiley... I could help out with d book on sop, u can send me a pm or ignore if drhopeful already resplied... cheers n all d best with your application
I just sent you a pm. Thanks a lot.

(1) (2) (3) ... (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.