Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,315 members, 7,811,943 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:18 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (137) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1349329 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Emmanuelalile: 9:42pm On Oct 30, 2016
Pls someone should add me to add me to the fb group Emmanuel.alile@hotmail.com......would really appreciate
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by codexgigax: 3:55am On Oct 31, 2016
Gozychuks:

Please i am Lagos I need Magoosh videos. How do I contact you. My email is gozychuks@gmail.com
l

Have you registered for the exam?

If not, please do not contact me.

I'm not stressing myself out for people who don't have exam dates yet.

Thank you for your understanding.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by KINGMAKER001(m): 6:02am On Oct 31, 2016
Glowrie22:

Next step is TOEFL. Sorry for the late reply.
Good am, please how do source or get the TOEFL materials? thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by KINGMAKER001(m): 6:08am On Oct 31, 2016
doziej84:

pls who has written toefl & sent scores to institutions?

I thought you could send to 4 schools free of charge. I've tried to do it & the system wants to charge me

who has an idea on how to go around it?
Hey bro, good morning... how and where do I source for TOEFL kits and materials? I learned that u have taken the test
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by BigUnclewriters: 3:02pm On Oct 31, 2016
Nice work... Abeg hv sent the blank emails to the afore mentioned email addresses... But am yet to get a reply... Is dere any other way I can get d ebooks free?? Thank you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 10:29am On Nov 01, 2016
ridsan4real:
Hello,
I'm willing to apply for Phd program in animal science but due to lack of funds, I will be applying and seeking for graduate assistantship or fellowship that will cover tuition, stipend, health insurance e.t.c. As an admission criteria, prospective candidate needs proof of funds or certificate of financial responsibility. Do I also need It before being considered for admission, GA/fellowship and I-20? Kindly elaborate more. Thanks

Most schools will allow that you apply before they ask for your proof of funds. For most, it's only when you're admitted that they can calcualt how much you would need for tuition, insurance and other living expenses, and tell you how much you need to prepare for.

Of course, the best way to be sure is to contact the Animal Science Grad Prog Co-ordinator.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by doziej84: 3:57pm On Nov 01, 2016
who has made an application recently?

I need to know the exchange rate charged on a mastercard......
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Cephas0009: 4:04pm On Nov 01, 2016
doziej84:

who has made an application recently?

I need to know the exchange rate charged on a mastercard......

It varies but it largely depends on individual banks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Renewable0216: 9:09pm On Nov 01, 2016
Guys...Sorry I've been away for a while. II've been trying hard to study for this test but my scores from practice tests are not looking as good as desired yet. Have barely 2 weeks to the test. Verbal particularly has been the bane, RC still proving difficult. I must admit I've made considerable progress compared to when I started but I need to fast track things.

Codexgigax mentioned someone with 170 in this section. That means it's achievable with the right strategies. I'm I looking in the wrong places?

What material is best to focus on?
I think one of my issues is choosing from the deluge of materials I've got.

Unfortunately, I'm not in Lagos to help those who need study materials but I think a friend in Ibadan has the Magoosh videos. I'd confirm and revert to those in IB.

So guys, how do I up the scores? Need at least 160 in both sections. Any advice?
Thanks folks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by doziej84: 12:19am On Nov 02, 2016
Cephas0009:

It varies but it largely depends on individual banks

can you give me a realist ic price & the bank involved......
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aanexplus(m): 1:38am On Nov 02, 2016
codexgigax:

Have you registered for the exam?

If not, please do not contact me.

I'm not stressing myself out for people who don't have exam dates yet.

Thank you for your understanding.

I have registered for the exam. Please how can I get magoosh video? Thank you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Cephas0009: 6:56am On Nov 02, 2016
doziej84:

can you give me a realist ic price & the bank involved......

The last time I did (about 2months ago), I was charged 380naira/dollar (access bank) but then dollar was still like 400/410 in parallel market... Now that it is 460, I don't know what it will be. You can check abokifx.com, the rate for the bank on the site then was exactly what I was charged
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by hirschfelder: 9:03am On Nov 02, 2016
Renewable0216:
Guys...Sorry I've been away for a while. II've been trying hard to study for this test but my scores from practice tests are not looking as good as desired yet. Have barely 2 weeks to the test. Verbal particularly has been the bane, RC still proving difficult. I must admit I've made considerable progress compared to when I started but I need to fast track things.

Codexgigax mentioned someone with 170 in this section. That means it's achievable with the right strategies. I'm I looking in the wrong places?

Unfortunately, I'm not in Lagos to help those who need study materials but I think a friend in Ibadan has the Magoosh videos. I'd confirm and revert to those in IB.

So guys, how do I up the scores? Need at least 160 in both sections. Any advice?
Thanks folks.

Unfortunately, there is no quick fix. But I believe two weeks is enough time to make significant progress. The RC needs time, and you can create more time for it by breezing through the SE and TC sections. If you master the right amount of vocabulary, this should be a bit easy (Magoosh app and flashcards, plus some words important words in KAPLAN appendix will help in this regard). While answering the RC, it's best if you can read actively (as in develop some kind of interest and curiosity in what you are reading), and if you are getting overwhelmed, look away from the screen for a while to reconfigure your brain. Lastly, make sure you take full-length practice tests to test your endurance.
As for quant, ETS official guides and Manhattan books are sufficient for a score above 160. Just make sure you study their explanations for both questions you get right or fail. Hope this helps.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Renewable0216: 10:47am On Nov 02, 2016
hirschfelder:

Unfortunately, there is no quick fix. But I believe two weeks is enough time to make significant progress. The RC needs time, and you can create more time for it by breezing through the SE and TC sections. If you master the right amount of vocabulary, this should be a bit easy (Magoosh app and flashcards, plus some words important words in KAPLAN appendix will help in this regard). While answering the RC, it's best if you can read actively (as in develop some kind of interest and curiosity in what you are reading), and if you are getting overwhelmed, look away from the screen for a while to reconfigure your brain. Lastly, make sure you take full-length practice tests to test your endurance.
As for quant, ETS official guides and Manhattan books are sufficient for a score above 160. Just make sure you study their explanations for both questions you get right or fail. Hope this helps.

You're awesome Brother! I totally appreciate you!

Interestingly, my vocab has been improving using the flashcards! I hope to keep building on it. I've also downloaded coadcoax to practice RCs.

I'd stick to Ets Official and Manhattan for Quants then.

I hope to come back with sumptuous reports after the test...smiley

Thank again. Your response has done a lot for me.
Danké Schon

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by revenant: 2:43pm On Nov 02, 2016
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 4:51pm On Nov 02, 2016
Renewable0216:

Thanks folks.

It may be counterproductive to attempt reading the whole passages except those that usually occur at the tail end or the shortened paragraphs. It will serve you better to pick keywords from the question and sift through the passage till you can hone down to the exact line or two where the idea is mentioned. Active reading may not only entail developing some sympathy or excitement for the author, it may just entail knowing exactly where he said what is being asked.

Once you arrive at that point, imagine that the sentence in question is from a friend who is trying to give you some information but is hoping that it will be esoteric to any other person but you whom he wants to see the message. If you can develop that fondness for the sentences you'd always see the gist behind what is being said and even better, because it will be in your own words.

You should be certain to take note that the GRE will rarely ever use the same words or construction in the answer choices and that extreme words almost always signify a wrong answer. So watch out for them. Words like "only, all, completely" etc.

If you can add this to what you already know you should experience atleast an extra 3-8 more marks to your scores and what I particularly like the most is that your brain won't feel fagged out- which is usually the case when one attempts reading through all the verbiage in the RCs (that one is barely ever tested on by the way).

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by charliejose: 5:45pm On Nov 02, 2016
Good evening house. I'll be registering for the exam next year and I wanna start buying books. I was told to go to ojuelegba or yaba,lagos to get them. But I'm a bit perplexed as to the types and cost of books.. And I will like to know if its better to buy hard copies or just download online. Thanks!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 8:37pm On Nov 02, 2016
orelio:
Nov 2 at jjk... From my prep tests, my quant has been quite good 165>..but my verbal has been lingering around 150... Gurus in the house, any advice on how to improve my verbal to at least 156>... Any quick tip less than 1week, most especially those convoluted RCs
Hi @orelio, how did your test go today?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 8:38pm On Nov 02, 2016
Hi @seeker88, have you received your official scores?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Renewable0216: 10:17pm On Nov 02, 2016
Scholastica16:

It may be counterproductive to attempt reading the whole passages except those that usually occur at the tail end or the shortened paragraphs. It will serve you better to pick keywords from the question and sift through the passage till you can hone down to the exact line or two where the idea is mentioned. Active reading may not only entail developing some sympathy or excitement for the author, it may just entail knowing exactly where he said what is being asked.

Once you arrive at that point, imagine that the sentence in question is from a friend who is trying to give you some information but is hoping that it will be esoteric to any other person but you whom he wants to see the message. If you can develop that fondness for the sentences you'd always see the gist behind what is being said and even better, because it will be in your own words.

You should be certain to take note that the GRE will rarely ever use the same words or construction in the answer choices and that extreme words almost always signify a wrong answer. So watch out for them. Words like "only, all, completely" etc.

If you can add this to what you already know you should experience atleast an extra 3-8 more marks to your scores and what I particularly like the most is that your brain won't feel fagged out- which is usually the case when one attempts reading through all the verbiage in the RCs (that one is barely ever tested on by the way).

Scholastica, I totally get your point. However it's proved difficult for me to adapt. I've read textbooks saying "You should read less into the passage but read actively", " You don't get marks for reading the passage but for answering the questions correctly"

Sadly, I'm not sure I've got a grasp of that. From my experience, when you read the passage sketchily and eventually get to the questions, it takes a whole lot of time trying to find where the author mentioned what's being asked especially on the longer RCs. Given the smattering time, one could easily become flustered when you have to take time to search the passage again for each question.

I guess my understanding of the entire concept of minimal reading is what's faulty. Would you mind some expatiation? Probably, you'd be more limpid in demystifying the approach.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 11:23pm On Nov 02, 2016
Renewable0216:

Scholastica, I totally get your point. However it's proved difficult for me to adapt. I've read textbooks saying "You should read less into the passage but read actively", " You don't get marks for reading the passage but for answering the questions correctly"

Sadly, I'm not sure I've got a grasp of that. From my experience, when you read the passage sketchily and eventually get to the questions, it takes a whole lot of time trying to find where the author mentioned what's being asked especially on the longer RCs. Given the smattering time, one could easily become flustered when you have to take time to search the passage again for each question.

I guess my understanding of the entire concept of minimal reading is what's faulty. Would you mind some expatiation? Probably, you'd be more limpid in demystifying the approach.

I also get your point because I faced the same problem initially. It is counterintuitive to be cursory when trying to understand something as convoluted as the RC passages of the GRE but with practice you'd get there. (Take note that if many book makers are saying the same thing then it must be a proven strategy). You have to also realise that even though it appears like time is moving really quickly when sifting through the passage it is more important to get the question right than to answer it quickly enough.

One thing that caught my attention while reviewing the answers to the RCs of the ETS material is that the answers where always backed up with a line in the passage and each time I read that particular line in isolation, I could understand it without even knowing what the whole passage was about. Also, that I didn't need to commit the whole sentence in the question to memory when searching for it in the passage, just a keyword was enough. This is a binding rule because the ETS testmakers do not change the sentence structure or wordings in the question; they only change it in the answers which means that that particular word that is jumping at you will be used in the exact way in the passage and your duty is to find it.

Take a word like Classicist for example. If a question asks something and includes such a word in the wordings I immediately sift through the passage for that word never minding if it was used more than once. The reason for this is, I also noticed that each time the passage used that word it will be surrounded by the same idea that necessitated it's use by the author in the first place. Like I said, your practice will show you these things and once you can develop the skill, you will be virtually certain of any answer you select.

I don't think saying much will help at this point but if you experience more grey areas I would be willing to share more tidbits.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 4:13am On Nov 03, 2016
Scholastica16:

I also get your point because I faced the same problem initially. It is counterintuitive to be cursory when trying to understand something as convoluted as the RC passages of the GRE but with practice you'd get there. (Take note that if many book makers are saying the same thing then it must be a proven strategy). You have to also realise that even though it appears like time is moving really quickly when sifting through the passage it is more important to get the question right than to answer it quickly enough.

One thing that caught my attention while reviewing the answers to the RCs of the ETS material is that the answers where always backed up with a line in the passage and each time I read that particular line in isolation, I could understand it without even knowing what the whole passage was about. Also, that I didn't need to commit the whole sentence in the question to memory when searching for it in the passage, just a keyword was enough. This is a binding rule because the ETS testmakers do not change the sentence structure or wordings in the question; they only change it in the answers which means that that particular word that is jumping at you will be used in the exact way in the passage and your duty is to find it.

Take a word like Classicist for example. If a question asks something and includes such a word in the wordings I immediately sift through the passage for that word never minding if it was used more than once. The reason for this is, I also noticed that each time the passage used that word it will be surrounded by the same idea that necessitated it's use by the author in the first place. Like I said, your practice will show you these things and once you can develop the skill, you will be virtually certain of any answer you select.

I don't think saying much will help at this point but if you experience more grey areas I would be willing to share more tidbits.

una wan use English kill person

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 6:09am On Nov 03, 2016
Scholastica16:

can u give more examples to buttress ur point
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 12:58pm On Nov 03, 2016
fredoricko:

una wan use English kill person
Hyper GRE mode activated! grin grin cheesy grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kinematicguy: 6:17pm On Nov 03, 2016
Please, has anybody here used WES evaluation recently. How is the process please?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 7:15pm On Nov 03, 2016
Gunbiz:

can u give more examples to buttress ur point

“The events of future history… will be of the same nature – or nearly so – as the history of the past, so long as men are men”

-Thucydides (Great historian)

I could have yanked this sentence from a more involved passage and still be able to answer a question centred on it- just by reading it.

The author of the passage may have been making a case for how trends in human character or history haven't changed much because the beliefs responsible for keeping them that way are unchanged and at the end of the passage be recommending a solution or change.

But that will only help you when trying to understand his primary purpose for writing the passage.

On the surface and just by understanding the quoted statement, if a question was asked saying:

"The author cites Thucydides because?"

1. Thucydides was an expert at human history
2. To serve as an example of why men will be men
3. The events of future and past history are always the same.
4. To buttress his earlier point that past events barely differ from what could happen further down the line.
5. Men's attitude never changes.

The answer may appear confusing to someone who attempted reading the whole 55-line essay because s/he would be bogged down by the details there in. Some of the details of the passage may have mentioned or introduced Thucydides as one whom people respected because of his vast knowledge of history.

The passage may have also contained information stating that men's attitude on average remain the same over time.

These details, no matter how valuable, are extraneous to answering the question because they may either be merely supporting an idea, or just be fillers used to bulk up the whole literature.

#1 will not be the answer but it may be a good trap for someone who read the whole passage. Yes, Thucydides was an expert and most people like to quote experts but is that why the author referenced him? (Remember your answer must be something you can pinpoint directly in the passage).

#2 is an offpoint and actually fatuous answer and the ETS testmakers always include such an option. Many test takers will not fall for this except they randomly guess in a haste or with time quickly elapsing.

#3 is another good trap because it uses words in almost the exact manner that the author does, but 9 out of 10 times such answers will be wrong. Since the GRE VR is an open book exam (so to speak), the test makers will never make selecting the right answer so easy or obvious. This answer is however wrong because of the strong word ALWAYS. So in dire situations you can almost always eliminate extreme answer choices such as this.

#4 is obviously the answer and true to nature, the test makers will change the construction of the sentence as much as possible without affecting the main idea behind it. Thucydides was mentioned to give an example of a statement credited by an expert (like #1 suggested) but the author did it to underscore his claim that future history and past history won't differ much if at all they did at all. In other words, the author is saying "what happened in the past will most likely happen in the future because men do not change and Thucydides agrees with me". As you can see, if you were to restate the sentence in your own words you won't get confused no matter how much the testmakers try to contort the sentence.

#5 is not only extreme but it is a ploy at over-inference. The author only said on average men's attitude remain the same and not that it never changes.

Away from all this, how would I have found this answer without necessarily chewing through the whole passage? By using, in this case, "Thucydides" as my keyword and searching for where in the passage it was first used. Chances are, the very first place it was used will be the exact sentence I need to derive my answer and as you can tell, I didn't need whatever came before or after it, just the actual sentence.

Sorry if this post is long or even simplistic but it is the best I could do at this point. With just the right amount of practice, you would begin to see the trends in the RC questions and it will appear alot easier to you.

Remember that ETS has to make each edition of their exams fairly the same so the likelihood that they would repeat a trend is high. In that case, you may not get a 170 with this strategy, but you could definitely get above a 160 (even though this also depends on your SEs and TCs).

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kinematicguy: 7:32pm On Nov 03, 2016
Also guys, I tried uploading my GRE and Toefl score sheet on a school's application. I was told, "we are unable to process your document please remove any personal protection or try saving the file in another format. If you received this document from the official source, please request an unprotected copy". Any guru in the house that have faced same scenerio before?? Your inputs are appreciated. Thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 8:02pm On Nov 03, 2016
kinematicguy:
Also guys, I tried uploading my GRE and Toefl score sheet on a school's application. I was told, "we are unable to process your document please remove any personal protection or try saving the file in another format. If you received this document from the official source, please request an unprotected copy". Any guru in the house that have faced same scenerio before?? Your inputs are appreciated. Thanks.
I faced exactly the same situation and you can solve the issue in two ways.
First, you can use a pc app called 'remove pdf password' to remove any security the document has
Second which is the easiest and the best is to take screen shot of the pages and then convert to pdf. Download FastScanner pro on your phone to do the job for you. All the best.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kinematicguy: 8:33pm On Nov 03, 2016
adetola007:

I faced exactly the same situation and you can solve the issue in two ways.
First, you can use a pc app called 'remove pdf password' to remove any security the document has
Second which is the easiest and the best is to take screen shot of the pages and then convert to pdf. Download FastScanner pro on your phone to do the job for you. All the best.

Thanks man. I appreciate the help.

Regards.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by LadunaI(m): 7:55am On Nov 04, 2016
Scholastica16:

“The events of future history… will be of the same nature – or nearly so – as the history of the past, so long as men are men”

-Thucydides (Great historian)

I could have yanked this sentence from a more involved passage and still be able to answer a question centred on it- just by reading it.

The author of the passage may have been making a case for how trends in human character or history haven't changed much because the beliefs responsible for keeping them that way are unchanged and at the end of the passage be recommending a solution or change.

But that will only help you when trying to understand his primary purpose for writing the passage.

On the surface and just by understanding the quoted statement, if a question was asked saying:

"The author cites Thucydides because?"

1. Thucydides was an expert at human history
2. To serve as an example of why men will be men
3. The events of future and past history are always the same.
4. To buttress his earlier point that past events barely differ from what could happen further down the line.
5. Men's attitude never changes.

The answer may appear confusing to someone who attempted reading the whole 55-line essay because s/he would be bogged down by the details there in. Some of the details of the passage may have mentioned or introduced Thucydides as one whom people respected because of his vast knowledge of history.

The passage may have also contained information stating that men's attitude on average remain the same over time.

These details, no matter how valuable, are extraneous to answering the question because they may either be merely supporting an idea, or just be fillers used to bulk up the whole literature.

#1 will not be the answer but it may be a good trap for someone who read the whole passage. Yes, Thucydides was an expert and most people like to quote experts but is that why the author referenced him? (Remember your answer must be something you can pinpoint directly in the passage).

#2 is an offpoint and actually fatuous answer and the ETS testmakers always include such an option. Many test takers will not fall for this except they randomly guess in a haste or with time quickly elapsing.

#3 is another good trap because it uses words in almost the exact manner that the author does, but 9 out of 10 times such answers will be wrong. Since the GRE VR is an open book exam (so to speak), the test makers will never make selecting the right answer so easy or obvious. This answer is however wrong because of the strong word ALWAYS. So in dire situations you can almost always eliminate extreme answer choices such as this.

#4 is obviously the answer and true to nature, the test makers will change the construction of the sentence as much as possible without affecting the main idea behind it. Thucydides was mentioned to give an example of a statement credited by an expert (like #1 suggested) but the author did it to underscore his claim that future history and past history won't differ much if at all they did at all. In other words, the author is saying "what happened in the past will most likely happen in the future because men do not change and Thucydides agrees with me". As you can see, if you were to restate the sentence in your own words you won't get confused no matter how much the testmakers try to contort the sentence.

#5 is not only extreme but it is a ploy at over-inference. The author only said on average men's attitude remain the same and not that it never changes.

Away from all this, how would I have found this answer without necessarily chewing through the whole passage? By using, in this case, "Thucydides" as my keyword and searching for where in the passage it was first used. Chances are, the very first place it was used will be the exact sentence I need to derive my answer and as you can tell, I didn't need whatever came before or after it, just the actual sentence.

Sorry if this post is long or even simplistic but it is the best I could do at this point. With just the right amount of practice, you would begin to see the trends in the RC questions and it will appear alot easier to you.

Remember that ETS has to make each edition of their exams fairly the same so the likelihood that they would repeat a trend is high. In that case, you may not get a 170 with this strategy, but you could definitely get above a 160 (even though this also depends on your SEs and TCs).

Thanks @Scholastica16 for this beautiful elucidation, it was whole inspiring and gratifying.

The strategy you're proposing is nice and mastering over time would be excellent.

By the way, I found this epigram passage but very intriguing when applying your strategy. Can you take a look and analysis it for the benefit of us all?

See below screenshot

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 2:32pm On Nov 04, 2016
LadunaI:

Thanks @Scholastica16 for this beautiful elucidation, it was whole inspiring and gratifying.

The strategy you're proposing is nice and mastering over time would be excellent.

By the way, I found this epigram passage but very intriguing when applying your strategy. Can you take a look and analysis it for the benefit of us all?

See below screenshot

TBH with you, this question is poorly constructed because it strays from the actual GRE format of RC questions. There are so many loopholes in it.

1. Entepreneurship businesses may or may not be high-value. It was wrong for the question to call them high-value businesses all in a bid to dissemble the main idea.

2. Recession does not necessarily mean a loss of jobs or high unemployment rate. It could just be that the economy of the said nation was not buoyant at the point in time.

Anyways my answer will have to be the last option E or 5. It is not clear what happened to the number of founded businesses. They may have been way less than projected and in that case, be negatively alarming or they may have increased far more than was predicted in that way be positively alarming. The passage only told us that while the unemployment rate was far worse than what was even expected, IT IS NOT CLEAR if the number of enterpreneurs were equally alarming.

The equally alarming part is the trap because one may be forced to think that since the sentence started with "while" and stated that unemployment rates were getting worse, then the number of new businesses will be getting better. But the passage clearly says we are not sure. Also, one can argue that equally alarming means that the number of new businesses was lower but one could not tell if they were lower than predicted. To take that position one had to assume that the alarming part was negative and we cannot infer that from the part of the passage. So I still think it is the last option.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.