Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,727 members, 7,820,518 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:25 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (181) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1354488 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (178) (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 12:52pm On Feb 02, 2017
Okusi:
Are letters of recommendation meant to be sent through email?

Schools always State how the LORs should be related to them even if one was considering them post-submission. They always have either a column on the portal for the recommenders or they directly email the recommenders and ask that it be sent as an attachment. So if you are considering sending it yourself they would not honor it.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 1:17pm On Feb 02, 2017
Did you recently write GRE or TOEFL? Come and share your experience with us telling us your study tips, mistakes, lessons etc. It would go a long way in helping someone else who would visit this thread in future.

Did you recently apply to schools in the USA? Come and share your application experiences with us. Of your own volition, you may tell us your profile and the schools you are aiming for etc. If you have gotten any feedback please let us know as it could guide someone else who may be considering applying to said school at a later time maybe a few years ahead.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dossylvanus(m): 1:21pm On Feb 02, 2017
Hello people.

Has anyone applied to the university of Georgia, Athens before?
What is their acceptance rate for international students?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Okusi(m): 1:28pm On Feb 02, 2017
Scholastica16:

Schools always State how the LORs should be related to them even if one was considering them post-submission. They always have either a column on the portal for the recommenders or they directly email the recommenders and ask that it be sent as an attachment. So if you are considering sending it yourself they would not honor it.

thanks bro. the recommenders will send it to the grad school's email

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 1:37pm On Feb 02, 2017
Hi

How competitive is this profile for the following schools?

GPA 3.47/4
GRE- 315
TOEFL- 107
R28 L26 S26 W27
Ms. Electrical Engineering

University of Nebraska Lincoln
Southern Illinois university Carbondale
Cleveland state university
University of Massachusetts Lowell

Thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jeebz: 2:17pm On Feb 02, 2017
fredoricko:
Hi

GPA 3.47/4
GRE- 315
TOEFL- 107
R28 L26 S26 W27

Thanks

I think you should be fine.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:32pm On Feb 02, 2017
fredoricko:
Hi
GPA 3.47/4 GRE- 315 TOEFL- 107 R28 L26 S26 W27 Ms. Electrical Engineering
University of Nebraska Lincoln Southern Illinois university Carbondale Cleveland state university University of Massachusetts Lowell
Thanks
you are good to go
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Cephas0009: 3:25pm On Feb 02, 2017
fredoricko:
Hi

GPA 3.47/4
GRE- 315
TOEFL- 107
R28 L26 S26 W27

Thanks

Baba, i think youu are good to go. However, u didn't mention if uu wiill be interested in getting funding. If you and u don't mind going 4 a phd, I'd recommend you include 1phd programme in ur application plans. That's besides you applying early if u are considering this year's fall

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 4:19pm On Feb 02, 2017
Cephas0009:

Baba, i think youu are good to go. However, u didn't mention if uu wiill be interested in getting funding. If you and u don't mind going 4 a phd, I'd recommend you include 1phd programme in ur application plans. That's besides you applying early if u are considering this year's fall

Graduate school without funding with the current exchange rate is at best- suicidal. grin

I think it's too late to consider a PhD, as I've completed my applications. All that's left is for ETS to send my test scores.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 4:39pm On Feb 02, 2017
dossylvanus:
Hello people.

Has anyone applied to the university of Georgia, Athens before?

What is their acceptance rate for international students?

It is hard to tell but startclass might be of help. You should try to be more specific though: what faculty are you considering? Generally, I think UofG Athens has a 55% acceptance rate but that could be undergrad admissions. If you are more specific one could find the A.R for grad school.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 4:41pm On Feb 02, 2017
fredoricko:
Hi

GPA 3.47/4
GRE- 315
TOEFL- 107
R28 L26 S26 W27

Thanks

This is a good profile and the schools are well dispersed. I am certain UofM Lowell has a high acceptance rate so I am guessing it is a safe school. Don't be bugged by the Q scores that some websites claim is the average though, applications are considered based on the pool of applicants received.

I just hope you get funding before you leave as that may be the challenge since most schools reserve funding for PhD applicants.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 4:45pm On Feb 02, 2017
Scholastica16:

This is a good profile and the schools are well dispersed. I am certain UofM Lowell has a high acceptance rate so I am guessing it is a safe school. Don't be bugged by the Q scores that some websites claim is the average though, applications are considered based on the pool of applicants received.

I just hope you get funding before you leave as that may be the challenge since most schools reserve funding for PhD applicants.

Thanks for your response. I would've considered a PhD but I was unsure of how competitive my profile would be. I hope I get funded too, cos that is the ultimate dream of all grad applicant.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dossylvanus(m): 5:01pm On Feb 02, 2017
Scholastica16:

It is hard to tell but startclass might be of help. You should try to be more specific though: what faculty are you considering? Generally, I think UofG Athens has a 55% acceptance rate but that could be undergrad admissions. If you are more specific one could find the A.R for grad school.

Sorry if I was vague.

I was referring to their Geography or natural resources PhD programs .
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 5:16pm On Feb 02, 2017
dossylvanus:

Sorry if I was vague.

I was referring to their Geography or natural resources PhD programs .

Well the schools A.R would be anything between 29% (Law school and lowest of it's faculty Acceptance rate), 33% (Business school) or 41% (Engineering school) or 55.7% (Undergrad and Highest of it's A.Rs). I did not find the exact one for Geology/Geosciences but that's because I was cursorily looking for it.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 5:21pm On Feb 02, 2017
fredoricko:

Thanks for your response. I would've considered a PhD but I was unsure of how competitive my profile would be. I hope I get funded too, cos that is the ultimate dream of all grad applicant.

Well, I personally think a strong profile would entail more of research experience and paper publications than any other thing. Be that as it may, your GPA and standardized test scores are up there and good enough for most Top 50-100 programs.

Don't cringe as well, except your career plan is fully in academia, I don't think the top 25 schools give you any special advantages jobwise. I am saying this again based on information people over there have said.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 5:26pm On Feb 02, 2017
This waiting period be like season film, it should just bring good news... That's the major key

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 6:00pm On Feb 02, 2017
Scholastica16:

Well, I personally think a strong profile would entail more of research experience and paper publications than any other thing. Be that as it may, your GPA and standardized test scores are up there and good enough for most Top 50-100 programs.

Don't cringe as well, except your career plan is fully in academia, I don't think the top 25 schools give you any special advantages jobwise. I am saying this again based on information people over there have said.
Thanks a lot. I appreciate your inputs. There is really not much I can do even if I wanted. I guess it's time I joined the lot of you waiting for admission decision. I am not really a sucker for highly ranked school as the quagmire of admittance is too much for me to deal. I made good research before I chose those four schools, and I guess all I need right now is for someone to reinforce the conviction that necessitated my choice.
In the end, I hope we all get our heart desire.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 6:15pm On Feb 02, 2017
Good day people. I need help with some clarifications. I got my MSC transcript few days ago and I was faced with some issues.

My weighted average os 63.89% which is normally equivalent to a B.

WES evaluation returned 3.47/4.0 however, the transcript does not have grade classification(quite strange).

Even the grades do not bear grade letters they are just grades e.g 50%, 75% e.t.c.

I have an undergrad transcript from another uni that carries letter grade and grade classification.

Here are my worries, how are the schools supposed to know the schools grade classification since it is not indicated on the transcript ?

Should I put a notw forward and refer the schools to my undergrad transcript that bears grade classification ?

I am afraid my CGPA may be erroneously computed.

Kindly help with your inputs.

Thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aanexplus(m): 6:26pm On Feb 02, 2017
I got a mail this afternoon from IIT (Illinois Institute of Technology). I mentioned earlier that this school gave me admission to non degree M. Eng structural engineering. They removed the decision last week. When I got the mail with subject Your application has been decided, I was scared to the bone.

I was disappointed. IIT gave me admission to the same M.Eng structural engineering with no funding. This admission is so useless. This is a very bad news. Feel like crying tho
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sbrainy(m): 6:38pm On Feb 02, 2017
You guys are doing a great job.
Matching up on all the info tho.

Thanks scholastica16 , andradeze et al.
Everyone,
Pls I need help on Personal statement
1. Question of Submit a Personal Statement (a short essay about your long and short range goals and how you think our graduate program would help you meet these goals).
Pls can anyone forward a template/sample to me foopinspire@gmail.com so that I can be acquainted on how to go about writing a good one.

I need help on this.

2. I have surfed the web of Oklahoma state searching for a minimum GRE requirement. I find none.
Pls does anyone have an idea of their GRE requirement?

Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 8:40pm On Feb 02, 2017
fredoricko:

Thanks a lot. I appreciate your inputs. There is really not much I can do even if I wanted. I guess it's time I joined the lot of you waiting for admission decision. I am not really a sucker for highly ranked school as the quagmire of admittance is too much for me to deal. I made good research before I chose those four schools, and I guess all I need right now is for someone to reinforce the conviction that necessitated my choice.
In the end, I hope we all get our heart desire.

Your schools are good and hopefully we get the right decisions we desire because that's all that matters.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 8:48pm On Feb 02, 2017
Guitarlife:
Good day people. I need help with some clarifications. I got my MSC transcript few days ago and I was faced with some issues.

My weighted average os 63.89% which is normally equivalent to a B.

WES evaluation returned 3.47/4.0 however, the transcript does not have grade classification(quite strange).

Even the grades do not bear grade letters they are just grades e.g 50%, 75% e.t.c.

I have an undergrad transcript from another uni that carries letter grade and grade classification.

Here are my worries, how are the schools supposed to know the schools grade classification since it is not indicated on the transcript ?

Should I put a notw forward and refer the schools to my undergrad transcript that bears grade classification ?

I am afraid my CGPA may be erroneously computed.

Kindly help with your inputs.

Thanks.

Puzzling.

If you are certain that the transcript issued to you is the same version that will be sent to the school (if you are asked to enroll) then I think you should upload/send it like that to the school. If they have any reservations they would contact the school themselves to explain the discrepancies.

Sometimes those scores without grades would just mean that the school would work on the individual scores as against grades. Of course, that in itself poses another problem because the intended school could view the average as less than it actually should.

If the school you are applying to before has evaluated a lot of transcripts from the school in which you did your MSc, it may help them understand what each score represents gradewise.

BTW, what school is that? It is really strange that a school would omit the grades and classification of the degree. I think you should apply more pressure on that end than on the side of the school you are applying to because any school worth it's salt should know the things that are sacrosanct as far as transcripts go.

I'm rambling because I am as shocked as you. Sorry.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 8:51pm On Feb 02, 2017
aanexplus:
I got a mail this afternoon from IIT (Illinois Institute of Technology). I mentioned earlier that this school gave me admission to non degree M. Eng structural engineering. They removed the decision last week. When I got the mail with subject Your application has been decided, I was scared to the bone.

I was disappointed. IIT gave me admission to the same M.Eng structural engineering with no funding. This admission is so useless. This is a very bad news. Feel like crying tho

Sad for you but this seems to be the stock-in-trade of private schools Stanford included. They barely ever fund one and in the event that one receives some financial aid, it will be in the form of student loans which are mostly available to citizens of the country.

I initially placed IIT on my list but when I did some research and realized how stingy they are with funding, I backed off.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 8:53pm On Feb 02, 2017
Sbrainy:
You guys are doing a great job.
Matching up on all the info tho.

Thanks scholastica16 , andradeze et al.
Everyone,
Pls I need help on Personal statement
1. Question of Submit a Personal Statement (a short essay about your long and short range goals and how you think our graduate program would help you meet these goals).
Pls can anyone forward a template/sample to me foopinspire@gmail.com so that I can be acquainted on how to go about writing a good one.

I need help on this.

2. I have surfed the web of Oklahoma state searching for a minimum GRE requirement. I find none.
Pls does anyone have an idea of their GRE requirement?

Thanks

Use msinus.com to see the GRE classification that is attributed to OkSU. If my memory serves me well I believe they were in the 309-314 region but please don't take my word for it.

As for the sample essay. I think Google will help.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 9:14pm On Feb 02, 2017
Scholastica16:

Use msinus.com to see the GRE classification that is attributed to OkSU. If my memory serves me well I believe they were in the 309-314 region but please don't take my word for it.

As for the sample essay. I think Google will help.
you're doing a wonderful job sir, very wonderful. God bless you bros. But these gre classifications sef get as he be, when one would see 310-315 entering Boston, UC Berkley and the rest.. Above all you can ask for gre requirements from grad coordinator or average of the last admitted class and all.. We fear too much and some we lose some good chances...
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:14pm On Feb 02, 2017
Scholastica16:

Puzzling.

If you are certain that the transcript issued to you is the same version that will be sent to the school (if you are asked to enroll) then I think you should upload/send it like that to the school. If they have any reservations they would contact the school themselves to explain the discrepancies.

Sometimes those scores without grades would just mean that the school would work on the individual scores as against grades. Of course, that in itself poses another problem because the intended school could view the average as less than it actually should.

If the school you are applying to before has evaluated a lot of transcripts from the school in which you did your MSc, it may help them understand what each score represents gradewise.

BTW, what school is that? It is really strange that a school would omit the grades and classification of the degree. I think you should apply more pressure on that end than on the side of the school you are applying to because any school worth it's salt should know the things that are sacrosanct as far as transcripts go.

I'm rambling because I am as shocked as you. Sorry.
Its federal University of Agriculture Abeokuta. And yes thats the official transcript cos I had it sent to my office so I know thats what they will send abroad too.

I still dont know what to do now. Am just confused and kinda disturbed.

And what of the other angle of using the grade classification of my undergrad ?

Tho I had my BSc in a differwnt school but the transcript carries grade classification.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 9:32pm On Feb 02, 2017
Guitarlife:
Its federal University of Agriculture Abeokuta. And yes thats the official transcript cos I had it sent to my office so I know thats what they will send abroad too.

I still dont know what to do now. Am just confused and kinda disturbed.

And what of the other angle of using the grade classification of my undergrad ?

Tho I had my BSc in a differwnt school but the transcript carries grade classification.

If it is a different school the intended school might fear it will be different too WRT grades and commensurate scores. That's why I would not recommend it. And even if you told them what it was unofficially they may still not honor it. That's why the clarification has to come from the school of issuance instead.

I understand how you feel because I thought every school already knew these basic things but it is not your fault. Just upload it that way and wait. If they have issues with it they might relay it to you or your alma mater.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 9:41pm On Feb 02, 2017
ponpon:
you're doing a wonderful job sir, very wonderful. God bless you bros. But these gre classifications sef get as he be, when one would see 310-315 entering Boston, UC Berkley and the rest.. Above all you can ask for gre requirements from grad coordinator or average of the last admitted class and all.. We fear too much and some we lose some good chances...

To me, some of those GRE score minimums are even wrong. I know someone in UCLA with 315 yet most sites give them that 325+ range. Even grad coordinators won't give you anything definite. They would always give the basic 300+ or in some cases state the minimum Q and V scores.

Just like everyone else has said, GRE scores are not a reliable way to determine ones admission chances. Someone with 1580 was rejected by MIT whereas another person with 1520 was accepted for the same program even though both of them went to the same University, had the same course and graduated with the same degree classification. One of the recommenders for the 1520 guy said "I have recommended other students who went on to CALTECH and Stanford but I can tell you without mincing words that (student with 1520) is the most intelligent person I have ever taught".

Till date, that 1520 guy believes that is what gave him the edge in the admission process. What I am trying to say is, research experience, SOPs even LORs could be the clinchers in getting accepted into top programs and so on way over the GRE or even GPA.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:48pm On Feb 02, 2017
Scholastica16:

If it is a different school the intended school might fear it will be different too WRT grades and commensurate scores. That's why I would not recommend it. And even if you told them what it was unofficially they may still not honor it. That's why the clarification has to come from the school of issuance instead.

I understand how you feel because I thought every school already knew these basic things but it is not your fault. Just upload it that way and wait. If they have issues with it they might relay it to you or your alma mater.
Do you suppose that WES classification might count ? because WES has the regular grade classification on thier site with respect to Nigerian education and GPA system.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 10:10pm On Feb 02, 2017
Guitarlife:
Do you suppose that WES classification might count ? because WES has the regular grade classification on thier site with respect to Nigerian education and GPA system.

At this point, you can try anything. The issue is, did WES evaluate the MSc transcript? If they did not, it might not be binding to your school. After all, an A that might be 70 and above might be 75 and above in some schools and WES still requires the grade and degree classification to be on the transcript because it helped them in their evaluation.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aanexplus(m): 11:13pm On Feb 02, 2017
Still in vexation mode, Illinois Institute of Technology is a scam. They evaluated my app without reference letter. I mailed them twice complaining about this issue but they never send those letters and they evaluated me. Imagine.
# money wasted
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 1:32am On Feb 03, 2017
aanexplus:
Still in vexation mode, Illinois Institute of Technology is a scam. They evaluated my app without reference letter. I mailed them twice complaining about this issue but they never send those letters and they evaluated me. Imagine.
# money wasted

Most private schools are. Relax bro. I almost fell victim to them and Syracuse. Lucky I didn't.

(1) (2) (3) ... (178) (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.