Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:41 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (182) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1350506 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 4:47am On Feb 03, 2017
aanexplus:
Still in vexation mode, Illinois Institute of Technology is a scam. They evaluated my app without reference letter. I mailed them twice complaining about this issue but they never send those letters and they evaluated me. Imagine.
# money wasted

Hello, from a few things I have read on online, the initial admission letter for most MSc doesn't include funding. Sometimes funding can still be given to MSc. students after admission. Was it stated categorically in the admission letter that you have been admitted without funding? If so, mail them and let it be known that you are willing to accept the offer, but you would not be able to attend unless you are funded. Sometimes this school wants to see if one is in dire need of funding. There is a lot of money concentrated in few hands in this country that some are willing to pay the exorbitant fees, Let them know you are not one of those.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 4:56am On Feb 03, 2017
Guitarlife:
Its federal University of Agriculture Abeokuta. And yes thats the official transcript cos I had it sent to my office so I know thats what they will send abroad too.

I still dont know what to do now. Am just confused and kinda disturbed.

And what of the other angle of using the grade classification of my undergrad ?

Tho I had my BSc in a differwnt school but the transcript carries grade classification.

You seem to worry yourself too much. While the ideal situation would have been for the transcript to include grade classification, but the truth is it doesn't. Are you now going to allow that to be an impediment to your dream? I am pretty sure a number of alumni from your school has used the transcript in its current format and have been admitted to various universities abroad. The universities you are applying to would be able to do an in-house evaluation. And if it is of any help, your grade classification is the same as almost all schools in Nigeria. A is 70 and above, B is 60 to 69 and so on.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 5:07am On Feb 03, 2017
Scholastica16:
Did you recently write GRE or TOEFL? Come and share your experience with us telling us your study tips, mistakes, lessons etc. It would go a long way in helping someone else who would visit this thread in future.

Did you recently apply to schools in the USA? Come and share your application experiences with us. Of your own volition, you may tell us your profile and the schools you are aiming for etc. If you have gotten any feedback please let us know as it could guide someone else who may be considering applying to said school at a later time maybe a few years ahead.
A number of people have taken tests recently and have not given any feedback on their scores and experience, not nice at all. Please let us learn to give back.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Divabiola: 10:20am On Feb 03, 2017
Guitarlife:
Good day people. I need help with some clarifications. I got my MSC transcript few days ago and I was faced with some issues.

My weighted average os 63.89% which is normally equivalent to a B.

WES evaluation returned 3.47/4.0 however, the transcript does not have grade classification(quite strange).

Even the grades do not bear grade letters they are just grades e.g 50%, 75% e.t.c.

I don't think you should worry yourself about it because not all schools assign letter grades for post-graduate courses. Also, I believe schools have a way of converting your GPA in whatever form to the US standard.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Perotti: 10:56am On Feb 03, 2017
@guitarlife, I also attended that funaab of a school. I'm awaiting my transcript approval (MSc). Pls let's chat.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 11:41am On Feb 03, 2017
I know why Guitarlife is a bit worried and rightly so. Most schools in US expect the transcript to have not just the score equivalent but the accompanying grade because it helps in their evaluation. If the transcript is left in numbers and without the explanations for each range it could hurt the Applicant and I would explain how. In most Nigerian schools for example, a B is between 60-69. If I got all Bs during the masters my GPA would be 4/5 which is good. But flip it and consider that I got all 60s (with no explanation as to what grade such a score would be). My average percentage would be 60% (which they may interpret as 3/5). If someone else had all 69s which too would have been 4/5 in GPA form. He/She's percentage would be 69% which the US school could interpret as 3.45/5 which is substantially better than 3/5.

To avoid these discrepancies the evaluation committee like to see what each score translates to in grades. In their system, I believe 60% is a D and even if most Federal schools in Nig. rate 60-69 as a B, I am sure some other schools (maybe private schools) have a B slightly higher. I did not attend AUN but I have a strong feeling their B would be higher than the 60-69 of Federal schools. Thus, presenting a dilemma that would have worried me a bit, if I was in his shoes.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 11:48am On Feb 03, 2017
Time2Smile:

A number of people have taken tests recently and have not given any feedback on their scores and experience, not nice at all. Please let us learn to give back.

It's unfortunate but I had noticed it too. Weeks have gone by and nobody has given any report to the house even when the views keep doubling and GRE slots keep getting filled. grin

It might just be a hunch but I know the universe has a way of rewarding people who make up their minds to help others. In fact, it is more than a hunch: I have studied the trends even in this thread from inception to now, and people who made it a personal ambition to help others got sorted out even sometimes miraculously.

PS: not blackmailing anybody to post anything o. I just have plenty free time.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dossylvanus(m): 12:10pm On Feb 03, 2017
Scholastica16:

It's unfortunate but I had noticed it too. Weeks have gone by and nobody has given any report to the house even when the views keep doubling and GRE slots keep getting filled. grin

It might just be a hunch but I know the universe has a way of rewarding people who make up their minds to help others. In fact, it is more than a hunch: I have studied the trends even in this thread from inception to now, and people who made it a personal ambition to help others got sorted out even sometimes miraculously.

PS: not blackmailing anybody to post anything o. I just have plenty free time.

It's the crab in the bucket mentality. Nigerians don't like helping others out. As soon as we get what we want.. Vamoose....

I'm sure that if Quora originated from Nigeria, it would have died a Natural death.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by babyfaceafrica: 12:40pm On Feb 03, 2017
Good afternoon, nice job from you guys...may God bless you.straight to the point...I am planning on doin masters in the us or Canada I'm linguistics or English language... My questions are do I need to do GRE?... I have 110 in TOEFL already.am saying this because someone said GRE is only for people in sciences and engineering. I just want to be sure any other qualifying exams I will do part from TOEFL. Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 12:50pm On Feb 03, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
Good afternoon, nice job from you guys...may God bless you.straight to the point...I am planning on doin masters in the us or Canada I'm linguistics or English language... My questions are do I need to do GRE?... I have 110 in TOEFL already.am saying this because someone said GRE is only for people in sciences and engineering. I just want to be sure any other qualifying exams I will do part from TOEFL. Thanks

Congrats on your TOEFL.

Cutting straight to the chase, YES for most schools in USA you would need to take the GRE General test and in some cases the Literature in English Subject test.

It is advisable you emailed the grad coordinator of schools you were considering so they would give you more specific information but generally they would expect you have great Verbal and Analytical writing scores in the GRE. They would most likely give you a pass if your Quantitative scores are subpar.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by babyfaceafrica: 12:55pm On Feb 03, 2017
Scholastica16:

Congrats on your TOEFL.

Cutting straight to the chase, YES for most schools in USA you would need to take the GRE General test and in some cases the Literature in English Subject test.

It is advisable you emailed the grad coordinator of schools you were considering so they would give you more specific information but generally they would expect you have great Verbal and Analytical writing scores in the GRE. They would most likely give you a pass if your Quantitative scores are subpar.
thanks...my maths is bad...I was hoping I could skip GRE, especially the quantitative part...let me contact the coordinators of some schools like you advised... Grateful
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jaybiz007(m): 5:40pm On Feb 03, 2017
Scholastica16:
I know why Guitarlife is a bit worried and rightly so. Most schools in US expect the transcript to have not just the score equivalent but the accompanying grade because it helps in their evaluation. If the transcript is left in numbers and without the explanations for each range it could hurt the Applicant and I would explain how. In most Nigerian schools for example, a B is between 60-69. If I got all Bs during the masters my GPA would be 4/5 which is good. But flip it and consider that I got all 60s (with no explanation as to what grade such a score would be). My average percentage would be 60% (which they may interpret as 3/5). If someone else had all 69s which too would have been 4/5 in GPA form. He/She's percentage would be 69% which the US school could interpret as 3.45/5 which is substantially better than 3/5.

To avoid these discrepancies the evaluation committee like to see what each score translates to in grades. In their system, I believe 60% is a D and even if most Federal schools in Nig. rate 60-69 as a B, I am sure some other schools (maybe private schools) have a B slightly higher. I did not attend AUN but I have a strong feeling their B would be higher than the 60-69 of Federal schools. Thus, presenting a dilemma that would have worried me a bit, if I was in his shoes.
Weldone chief, you are doing a great job here.
K-State offered me MSc admission in civil engineering and were silent about funding. I have emailed my faculty advisor today, but still awaiting his response.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by goodemma20(m): 6:08pm On Feb 03, 2017
Pls house I have a question.....My gpa is 3.583/5, is that gpa bad to consider doing a direct phd in electrical engineering?.....many thanks for the work you're doing
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aanexplus(m): 7:32pm On Feb 03, 2017
I will try your method bro. Cos, They categorically state it - Admitted without funding. Thanks big boss... I'm from Osogbo omo iya.
Time2Smile:

Hello, from a few things I have read on online, the initial admission letter for most MSc doesn't include funding. Sometimes funding can still be given to MSc. students after admission. Was it stated categorically in the admission letter that you have been admitted without funding? If so, mail them and let it be known that you are willing to accept the offer, but you would not be able to attend unless you are funded. Sometimes this school wants to see if one is in dire need of funding. There is a lot of money concentrated in few hands in this country that some are willing to pay the exorbitant fees, Let them know you are not one of those.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:38pm On Feb 03, 2017
Perotti:
@guitarlife, I also attended that funaab of a school. I'm awaiting my transcript approval (MSc). Pls let's chat.
Pls Hi me on whatsap zero seven zero three two zero three five three one seven.

Pls dont quote this post.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by 234ng44uk(m): 9:45pm On Feb 03, 2017
I must have missed where you later stated your score. How long did it take from date exam was taken to receipt of score? Was your score improved by taking the paper test?

djPyper:
hey guyz, for the benefit of those considering wether to write the gre paper based or IBT, i've written both and the basic differences are as follows:
1) with the paper based theres no extra experimental section, just 2 quant and 2 verbal sections of 25 questions each.
2) with the ibt, if you do well on one section the next is very hard, but with paper the questions are of medium difficulty with just a few hard ones.
so the major pros of IBT are that you get to see ur scores immediately and also its easier to format ur essays as opposed to using eraser to correct mistakes, I wrote the IBT about two years ago and scored poorly , so I decided to try the paper test this year though my scores are not yet out, im confident I did very well cos the two sections were easy, and i was more comfortable and faster working on paper as opposed to staring at a computer screen. i'll return to to give my testimony when my scores are out. I wish us all success.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Azekimo: 9:55pm On Feb 03, 2017
Hi everebody,
Please, how can I convert my CGP (5.0 scale) to U. S standard scale(4.0)
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 11:12pm On Feb 03, 2017
Azekimo:
Hi everebody,
Please, how can I convert my CGP (5.0 scale) to U. S standard scale(4.0)
You can do that here: www.wes.org
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 11:36pm On Feb 03, 2017
You guys have been doing a great job here, ensuring this thread doesn't die!

However, like some people rightly pointed out, test takers on this thread no longer share their GRE test experience. They just come in, ask question and disappear. I implore all GRE test takers to always share their experience for posterity sake......this thread would have been this great without the contributions from those who have shared their experiences. Don't just comment only when you need information, cos that's not gonna help in the growth of this thread.

Regarding the issue of sharing our graduate application experience, I think that would be better compiled after going through the whole process.... undecided
We are still in the process and not really 100% certain of what the outcome will eventually be. Nevertheless, sharing a specific feedback from school or challenge encountered while applying to a particular school is not a bad idea, as the good people here who had applied to the school (or know about d school) could make a useful contribution. That's by the way.... undecided

Any applicant to TAMU, GIT, LSU and FSU/FAMU? I applied to many schools though, both the high and low.... grin grin grin. God will see us through.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:48am On Feb 04, 2017
Your experience has very little to do with the outcome.
I am sure many people who gained from a lot of stuff
others posted here during their applications whether they
ended up getting what they wanted or not.
The funny thing is that many people here now would start grad school
in August and would never post their experience. Ordinary GRE test
experience sef, some asinine folks here act like one is asking for one
of their balls. I appreciate your posts and hope you get the best out of everything. Good luck.
seeker88:

However, like some people rightly pointed out, test takers on this thread no longer share their GRE test experience. They just come in, ask question and disappear. I implore all GRE test takers to always share their experience for posterity sake......this thread would have been this great without the contributions from those who have shared their experiences. Don't just comment only when you need information, cos that's not gonna help in the growth of this thread.

Regarding the issue of sharing our graduate application experience, I think that would be better compiled after going through the whole process.... undecided
We are still in the process and not really 100% certain of what the outcome will eventually be. Nevertheless, sharing a specific feedback from school or challenge encountered while applying to a particular school is not a bad idea, as the good people here who had applied to the school (or know about d school) could make a useful contribution. That's by the way.... undecided

Any applicant to TAMU, GIT, LSU and FSU/FAMU? I applied to many schools though, both the high and low.... grin grin grin. God will see us through.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jaybiz007(m): 3:39am On Feb 04, 2017
seeker88:

TAMU applicant here. cool
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 10:25am On Feb 04, 2017
sirRiddy:

The funny thing is that many people here now would start grad school in August and would never post their experience. Ordinary GRE test experience sef, some asinine folks here act like one is asking for one of their balls. I appreciate your posts and hope you get the best out of everything. Good luck.

shocked grin grin grin.....@ bolded. Boss u dey vex oo grin

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 10:28am On Feb 04, 2017
jaybiz007:

TAMU applicant here. cool
Any update from them? And what program did u apply for? Mine is Mech Eng, MSc.
Boss, I'm sending u pm right away.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:48am On Feb 04, 2017
seeker88:

LSU applicant here.
So far so good, I've gotten admission into King Fahd University of Petroleum and Mineral Studies (MSc in Chemical Engineering) with full sponsorship and Imperial College, London (MSc in Petroleum Engineering) no funding whatsoever, hoping on PTDF scholarship. I applied to LSU, KSU, Utah, Notre Dam. I just got a rejection email this morning from Notre Dam. I applied for PhD program in all USA schools as funding is most important. My profile: Bsc chemical Engineering, GPA 4.58 (3.74 WES conversion), toefl 98 and GRE 312.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DAramis: 10:58am On Feb 04, 2017
Please bosses,drop the full name of those schools like LSU, TAMU, etc.
I know that KSU is Kansas State University.
Secondly can someone apply for PhD directly to such schools even though the person has no professional or research experience?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:10pm On Feb 04, 2017
DAramis:
Please bosses,drop the full name of those schools like LSU, TAMU, etc.
I know that KSU is Kansas State University.
Secondly can someone apply for PhD directly to such schools even though the person has no professional or research experience?
LSU is Louisiana State University, TAMU is Texas A&M university. Googling the acronym of schools will provide the name and website of the schools as they are standard abbreviation.
Yes, you can apply directly to PhD for most schools especially in STEM majors. Having professional and/or research experience will only boost your chances of admission, so are good GPA and test scores.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 12:21pm On Feb 04, 2017
jaybiz007:

Weldone chief, you are doing a great job here.
K-State offered me MSc admission in civil engineering and were silent about funding. I have emailed my faculty advisor today, but still awaiting his response.

Hopefully they "shake body" which I feel they would do but perhaps only after they have sorted out the PhD applicants. SirRiddy informed us that K-state's engineering programs have funding so I am optimistic for you.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aanexplus(m): 12:32pm On Feb 04, 2017
I applied for notre dame. Msc tho. I hope it's good news
adetola007:

LSU applicant here.
So far so good, I've gotten admission into King Fahd University of Petroleum and Mineral Studies (MSc in Chemical Engineering) with full sponsorship and Imperial College, London (MSc in Petroleum Engineering) no funding whatsoever, hoping on PTDF scholarship. I applied to LSU, KSU, Utah, Notre Dam. I just got a rejection email this morning from Notre Dam. I applied for PhD program in all USA schools as funding is most important. My profile: Bsc chemical Engineering, GPA 4.58 (3.74 WES conversion), toefl 98 and GRE 312.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:32pm On Feb 04, 2017
This waiting for admission decision is like waiting for fuel during Nigeria fuel scarcity oh.
Am tired of refreshing gradcafe....

Undergrad: Mathematics and Computer science
GPA 3.6/4.0(WES)
GRE-318
TOEFL-109

Schools
Ohio State University Ph.D. Statistics
Kansas State University Ph.D. Statistics
Texas AM Ph.D. Statistics
University of Memphis Ph.D. Mathematics with Statistics concentration(with regrets,check my earlier posts)
Auburn University Ph.D. Mathematics
University of Arkansas Ph.D. Mathematics
Bowling Green State University Msc Mathematics
Ohio University Msc Mathematics

5 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 12:35pm On Feb 04, 2017
goodemma20:
Pls house I have a question.....My gpa is 3.583/5, is that gpa bad to consider doing a direct phd in electrical engineering?.....many thanks for the work you're doing

My guy said 3.583. Why not 3.583388946 lol.

Answering this question is difficult because overall it is just there. Just there, meaning above average but not stellar. Do not be crestfallen however. Several things go into GPAs.

1. Your final 2 years in which you did core courses.
2. General improvement in the GPA from year 1- final.
3. Consistency
4. Core courses related to the PhD or MSc you are considering.

For instance, someone with a 3.5 who hopes to do some research in Interfacial Fluid Mechanics and got As in Transport Phenomena and Basic fluid mechanics courses while in Undegrad may appear to have a better transcript than a 4-Pter who perhaps got Cs there. Also, someone who had say 1.5 from years 1-3 but had 5.0 in 4 & 5 (thus landing on a 3.5) may appeal more to the evaluation committee than someone who blitzed through year 1-3 and wobbled at the final 2 years thus landing at 4.0. As you can see, a lot of things go into it that's why higher GPAs seem to be favored (as it guarantees more As in core courses than other wise).

I feel the need to add at this juncture that other parts of one's application could be the deciding factor even ahead of a GPA. If a renowned Prof in your field recommends you to a school whose committee members are well-known to him, his LOR would be weightier than an unknown Prof saying you are the best thing since sliced bread. Additionally, having cognate research experience like publishing papers in peer-reviewed journals and making presentations in conferences appear to be the best bet towards gaining admission into graduate school.

In a nutshell, don't bother about the GPA as you cannot change it (even if it is not bad). Just work on the other aspects of your application.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 12:41pm On Feb 04, 2017
adetola007:

LSU applicant here.

You are a strong Applicant.

Since you already have KFUPMS why you dey find Imperial ni?

Sorry about the Notre Dame, these things could go either ways. I don't know much about their Chemical engineering program but the school is perhaps a public Ivy (unsure).

E be like we go compete for LSU, Utah (State or Uni?) and KSU that's why I am asking you to go to KFUPMS grin

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 12:43pm On Feb 04, 2017
aanexplus:
I applied for notre dame. Msc tho. I hope it's good news

Since they contacted you themselves through search service and waived the app fee for you there is a high probability you would get it with funding too.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.