Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,202 members, 7,829,297 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:53 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (183) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1357850 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) (186) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 12:48pm On Feb 04, 2017
andradaeze:
This waiting for admission decision is like waiting for fuel during Nigeria fuel scarcity oh.
Am tired of refreshing gradcafe....

Undergrad: Mathematics and Computer science
GPA 3.6/4.0(WES)
GRE-318
TOEFL-109

Schools
Ohio State University Ph.D. Statistics
Kansas State University Ph.D. Statistics
Texas AM Ph.D. Statistics
University of Memphis Ph.D. Mathematics with Statistics concentration(with regrets,check my earlier posts)
Auburn University Ph.D. Mathematics
University of Arkansas Ph.D. Mathematics
Bowling Green State University Msc Mathematics
Ohio University Msc Mathematics

Another strong Applicant.

1. KSU is very promising.
2. Infamous Memphis grin
3. OSU is a biggie with a low acceptance rate I pray you get it.
4. Texas A& M is it Kingsville or College station?
5. Auburn too is great. SirRiddy must hate them for chopping his $90 (for a different program though)

Don't know much about the last 3 but will look them up now. I think Arkansas has fully funded someone I know but I am not sure. Your list is great BTW.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 12:52pm On Feb 04, 2017
hello house,

I have been a little busy of late that's why I only come here to read post once in two days.

Which of the TAMU's are you people talking about? I applied to TAMU Kingsville, LSU, Auburn, UHoustin and Lamar for MS Industrial and Operations Research Engineering.

Time (wanted to do all by January) and difficulty paying for test scores and app fees made me stop there. I had plans applying to at least 7. The thing expensive no be small.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 1:05pm On Feb 04, 2017
Scholastica16:

You are a strong Applicant.

Since you already have KFUPMS why you dey find Imperial ni?

Sorry about the Notre Dame, these things could go either ways. I don't know much about their Chemical engineering program but the school is perhaps a public Ivy (unsure).

E be like we go compete for LSU, Utah (State or Uni?) and KSU that's why I am asking you to go to KFUPMS grin

Baba, I dey envy your profile o grin, I'm still unsure about the imperial college as it will depend on if I get funding, though I've accepted kfupm offer but na USA be the koko. It's university of Utah and I realised we will be competing for admission in those schools when you posted the schools you applied. But nothing spoil, you no fit attend all the 3 schools at once and I'll gladly accept anyone you leave for your boy. grin grin

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DAramis: 1:11pm On Feb 04, 2017
adetola007:

LSU is Louisiana State University, TAMU is Texas A&M university. Googling the acronym of schools will provide the name and website of the schools as they are standard abbreviation.
Yes, you can apply directly to PhD for most schools especially in STEM majors. Having professional and/or research experience will only boost your chances of admission, so are good GPA and test scores.
Thanks.
I never knew that they were standard abbreviations.
I knew about KSU when sir Riddy (I think) mentioned about how well funded they are in most of the STEM fields.
Thanks once more.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 1:13pm On Feb 04, 2017
Scholastica16:

2. Infamous Memphis grin
5. Auburn too is great. SirRiddy must hate them for chopping his $90 (for a different program though)

Don't know much about the last 3 but will look them up now. I think Arkansas has fully funded someone I know but I am not sure. Your list is great BTW.

TAMU, college station. University of Arkansas funds but have a high speaking requirement of 26 for TA. Looking out for RA. The last two are safe schools. If I get into masters with funding, then can "port" into higher ranked school for a Ph.D. after. Kai, OSU admission, that one is faith based. grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 1:30pm On Feb 04, 2017
Scholastica16:

Sorry about the Notre Dame, these things could go either ways. I don't know much about their Chemical engineering program but the school is perhaps a public Ivy (unsure).

Baba, I dey envy your profile o grin, I'm still unsure about the imperial college as it will depend on if I get funding, though I've accepted kfupm offer but na USA be the koko. It's university of Utah and I realised we will be competing for admission in those schools when you posted the schools you applied. But nothing spoil, you no fit attend all the 3 schools at once and I'll gladly accept anyone you leave for your boy. grin grin
E be like we go compete for LSU, Utah (State or Uni?) and KSU that's why I am asking you to go to KFUPMS grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Cephas0009: 1:35pm On Feb 04, 2017
With UH application closing date for Mech Eng at Mar 1, there is probably still a long wait ahead, but as long as it's good news, I really don't mind.

For KSU, with the applicants in this forum alone, we should just av an association already grin.

All d best to us all... please where is drhopeful?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Solonzo17(m): 1:46pm On Feb 04, 2017
pls can anyone recommend the material to be use for GRE , am write mine in April
thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 1:54pm On Feb 04, 2017
Solonzo17:
pls can anyone recommend the material to be use for GRE , am write mine in April
thanks
Please go to Page 1 of this thread. Thank you.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 1:56pm On Feb 04, 2017
adetola007:

LSU applicant here.
So far so good, I've gotten admission into King Fahd University of Petroleum and Mineral Studies (MSc in Chemical Engineering) with full sponsorship and Imperial College, London (MSc in Petroleum Engineering) no funding whatsoever, hoping on PTDF scholarship. I applied to LSU, KSU, Utah, Notre Dam. I just got a rejection email this morning from Notre Dam. I applied for PhD program in all USA schools as funding is most important. My profile: Bsc chemical Engineering, GPA 4.58 (3.74 WES conversion), toefl 98 and GRE 312.
Your profile is very good and that Saudi school na owo tabua o....imperial college is world class too so hopefully ptdf comes through, it usually does for top students like you. Since it is an ms admission my advice is that you attend imperial college as it beats every other school on your list hands down. When you are done and hopefully you do well there, apply to top PhD programs in America. I am pretty sure you will get into one easily that way. America, though precarious now, will always accept brains like you since their people no need all those crazy pali to live comfortably most of the time. Good luck to you.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Solonzo17(m): 1:58pm On Feb 04, 2017
i have there e-book but i just want to focus on one , that why am asking
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 1:58pm On Feb 04, 2017
jaybiz007:

Weldone chief, you are doing a great job here.
K-State offered me MSc admission in civil engineering and were silent about funding. I have emailed my faculty advisor today, but still awaiting his response.
Congratulation on your admission. What is your profile like? Hope you get funded too.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:02pm On Feb 04, 2017
Scholastica16:

Hopefully they "shake body" which I feel they would do but perhaps only after they have sorted out the PhD applicants. SirRiddy informed us that K-state's engineering programs have funding so I am optimistic for you.
PhD students have some sure funding but ms guys usually have a stiffer competition. Some ms students here who had funding in other departments last semester got teaching assistantships this semester. I think at this point, his profile and luck would be the best bet. Another thing is to start going through other departments site for those who need RAs especially the agricultural departments. Those places have more positions than people usually. The downside is that you still have to pay in state tuition.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:06pm On Feb 04, 2017
Solonzo17:
i have there e-book but i just want to focus on one , that why am asking

There is no single book that can help you ace the GRE. If you insist, I will suggest Manhattan. Also check out Magoosh videos. But I think you need to go through this thread to get hints and tips.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:06pm On Feb 04, 2017
andradaeze:
This waiting for admission decision is like waiting for fuel during Nigeria fuel scarcity oh.
Am tired of refreshing gradcafe....

Undergrad: Mathematics and Computer science
GPA 3.6/4.0(WES)
GRE-318
TOEFL-109

Schools
Ohio State University Ph.D. Statistics
Kansas State University Ph.D. Statistics
Texas AM Ph.D. Statistics
University of Memphis Ph.D. Mathematics with Statistics concentration(with regrets,check my earlier posts)
Auburn University Ph.D. Mathematics
University of Arkansas Ph.D. Mathematics
Bowling Green State University Msc Mathematics
Ohio University Msc Mathematics
Wow that is a very good profile o.
I hope you get into a very good school too especially given how much you must have invested in the whole thing this buhari season. Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:10pm On Feb 04, 2017
Scholastica16:

2. Infamous Memphis grin

Auburn na useless mumu school lol.
Alabama school wet dey form Harvard.
Apart from the stress of not letting me use naija card to pay for application fee, them still nack me reject. I will forever hate that school lol.
But they still have a pretty good computer science program.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:14pm On Feb 04, 2017
sirRiddy:

Wow that is a very good profile o.
I hope you get into a very good school too especially given how much you must have invested in the whole thing this buhari season. Good luck.

Thank you sirriddy. We hope for the best. This buhari economy is crazy. Thank God for His help all through.

The admission wait is a bit unbearable. cheesy
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:17pm On Feb 04, 2017
sirRiddy:

Auburn na useless mumu school lol.
Alabama school wet dey form Harvard.
Apart from the stress of not letting me use naija card to pay for application fee, them still nack me reject. I will forever hate that school lol.
But they still have a pretty good computer science program.

That would have been painful for you. I heard the school is well funded though. I was really skeptical when I applied. But now, I am hopeful.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:39pm On Feb 04, 2017
When I registered for the GRE and TOEFL, it was never my intention to wait 4 days after my test scores were released to post my test experience. Who would have thought application to grad school would be this arduous and enervating? Over the last few days I've been struggling in the web of getting LORs, dotting the Is and crossing the Ts of my SOP, organising my resume so I could put in my applications before the deadlines that are fast approaching like the Chinese magnetic levitation trains.
I took the TOEFL on the 20th and the GRE exactly 10 days later;All in the month of January. My GRE came out to be (V157 Q158 )=315 and TOEFL (R28 L26 S26 W27 )= 107.
Although I registered in December and got all the materials I could on the GRE, it really didn't dawn on me I was gonna take the test until about 4 weeks to it. I started off by taking the first of power prep 2. Score came out as (V151 Q152)=303. Although I expected more, I was pleased for I knew I needn't worry about falling short of the 300 marker. I set out to study right away. I started off with Manhattan 8 series, and I soon grew bored if it and so I switched to Nova math. I did combinatorics and probability , rates n ratio and work with nova math Bible and I switched again. This time I adopted Kaplan hardcopy GRE premiere courtesy BY Mafit. In no time I rushed through the math section and attempted a few of the practice questions. I was pleased with the results and felt good with my self. This time, it was about 2 weeks to the GRE and 1 week to TOEFL. I decided I'd take Kaplan MST 1. Behold my scores came out as 298. To say I was frustrated would be putting it mildly. For a few days I couldn't study. I thought about postponement, but the later decided against it. I immediately picked up pace and employed Kaplan online practice resources. I'd solve about 40 questions each from verbal and quant daily. It was 3 days to TOEFL and I barely knew anything about the exam than it being a Test of English as a Foreign Language. Immediately I paused preparation for the GRE and kick started TOEFL prep. First I watched the video about that girl who had 117. Next I watched note full videos and got acquainted with the format of the exam and took note of strategies I would employ. After I had watched all note full videos I attempted 2 Reading passages and failed about 2 questions per passage. I was positive about it cos the passages were clear cut and relatively easy to sift through. A day to the exam I made the journey from my place of abode to Lagos. It was a tiring one and I got there in the evening. Had my bath and slept. Permit me to say all the while I was worried about speaking section, but I told myself I was going to be as comfortable as I could so I'd be able to be conversational. Got to JKK and did all the rituals and in no time I was assigned to a computer.
First was the reading section. I quickly checked to see I had 60 mins so I was pleased I had gotten just 3 Reading passages. Without wasting time I went "answer fishing". Did all 3 Readings and still had a few minutes to spare. Next came Listening. I took a few notes and tried to remember as much as I could but the distraction was just too much. For a few seconds I caught myself eavesdropping on another's speaking section; the results of which later cost me a few questions. Did all questions and had my break. Next came the intimidating speaking section. I think I flopped on the first question and managed to make just one valid point n example but I was barely fluent. I did better on the second question and I used the time well and even had a few seconds to summarize. Questions 3-6 was just freestyle. I just tired to be conversational and responded as I would to a friend. Next was writing and in my opinion I figured this was the best section of the day. I did well in my opinion and challenged ETS to a 30 grin.
After the test I immediately took a bus back to my abode. Got home the next morning. Did I hear you say why? Well, that'd be a story for another day, but suffice to say the bus broke down.

I now had barely 6 days to my test and I took another practice test. My scores kept oscillating between 153- 154 and I was sure I was gonna do badly- relatively.
I decided to watch a few videos on YouTube about acing the GRE in 7 days. I decided to jettison my prep for verbal and focus squarely on quant. In the last 4 days leading to the exam, I probably solved and learnt alot of tricks than I had for the past 4 weeks. Magoosh premium account is the bomb. I solved as many questions as I could and went through all the solutions.
Fast forward to the exam morning, I was nervous as ****. I prayed and wished for my experimental to ve verbal so I could focus on the quant.
AWA came and I did fairly OK. And you may be wondering that I didn't say nothing about my prep for AWA. Well that's because I didn't prepare for it. I just watched a few videos on it to know what was expected of me. I had always had a thing for writing, so once again I was gonna freestyle.
First section came and it was ......VERBAL. I was basking in euphoria; for I knew my experimental was gonna be verbal. Rushed through the verbal and did as much as I could.In my estimation, it was fair. Next came the first quant. I solved all 20 questions with utmost precision save 2. I was pleased for I knew I was gonna get at least 18 sums right. Had my break and came in for the sections. Fast forward to my last quant section. Oh my God, jeezzz, see questions. O boy ETS dey set question for Africa. I paced through and prolly did about one third the sums. Came back and barely had time for the others. In all, I had left about 4 or 5 questions unanswered. I was despondent and barely managed through the last verbal section.
Reported my scores and felt bad about my quant. I had wanted nothing less than a 160.
In all I thank God. GRE and TOEFL dusted.

17 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:49pm On Feb 04, 2017
Profile-
GPA 3.47/4 WES
GRE 315
TOEFL 107

Applications-
Cleveland state university (Ms. Electrical Engineering)
Southern Illinois university Carbondale (Ms. Electrical engineering)
University of Massachusetts Lowell (Ms. electrical engineering)
University of Nebraska Lincoln ( Ms. Electrical engineering)

Let the waiting begin....

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:52pm On Feb 04, 2017
fredoricko:
When I registered for the GRE and TOEFL, it was never my intention to wait 4 days after my test scores were released to post my test experience. Who would have thought application to grad school would be this arduous and enervating? Over the last few days I've been struggling in the web of getting LORs, dotting the Is and crossing the Ts of my SOP, organising my resume so I could put in my applications before the deadlines that are fast approaching like the Chinese magnetic levitation trains.
I took the TOEFL on the 20th and the GRE exactly 10 days later;All in the month of January. My GRE came out to be (V157 Q158 )=315 and TOEFL (R28 L26 S26 W27 )= 107.

Terrific scores!!! Thanks for sharing. Your TOEFL scores are quite good. Please dash me the 26 speaking nah? cheesy

5 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 3:01pm On Feb 04, 2017
andradaeze:

Terrific scores!!! Thanks for sharing. Your TOEFL scores are quite good. Please dash me the 26 speaking nah? cheesy
That's the diamond of my profile o. Oya take 2 from inside grin

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 3:14pm On Feb 04, 2017
Scholastica16:

Thanks. Baba I dey envy your profile o. I've already accepted the kfupm offer but waiting to see if I can get a better one. grin Yeah, it's university of Utah and I realised we applied to the same schools when you posted about it. But since you can't go to all 3 schools at once, I'll gladly accept anyone you reject. Our prayer is to get admission and funding, that's all that matters.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 3:19pm On Feb 04, 2017
fredoricko:

That's the diamond of my profile o. Oya take 2 from inside grin

I just need that two. grin. Thank you cheesy
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 3:27pm On Feb 04, 2017
sirRiddy:

Your profile is very good and that Saudi school na owo tabua o....imperial college is world class too so hopefully ptdf comes through, it usually does for top students like you. Since it is an ms admission my advice is that you attend imperial college as it beats every other school on your list hands down. When you are done and hopefully you do well there, apply to top PhD programs in America. I am pretty sure you will get into one easily that way. America, though precarious now, will always accept brains like you since their people no need all those crazy pali to live comfortably most of the time. Good luck to you.
Thank you very much, Imperial is first choice if funding shows up.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by toprealman: 4:45pm On Feb 04, 2017
So despite being told by the programme director that I can waive GRE, he just informed me this past week that I need to URGENTLY enroll for the exam...lol
This is not funny at all sha. How much be the exam sef? How I wan take start. I applied to a just single school and MUST get it.....any which way!!!
Where all them good peeps here. Practical advice needed URGENTLY.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 5:07pm On Feb 04, 2017
toprealman:
So despite being told by the programme director that I can waive GRE, he just informed me this past week that I need to URGENTLY enroll for the exam...lol
This is not funny at all sha. How much be the exam sef? How I wan take start. I applied to a just single school and MUST get it.....any which way!!!
Where all them good peeps here. Practical advice needed URGENTLY.

shocked shocked See falling hand!

Have you been reading for the exam?

Earliest available date might be in mid March.

I wonder why they did a sudden about-turn, pushing for a waiver might get you accepted but kill every possibility of being funded.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jaybiz007(m): 6:09pm On Feb 04, 2017
sirRiddy:

Congratulation on your admission. What is your profile like? Hope you get funded too.

GRE: 314
GPA:3.70/4.00
TOEFL: 101

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 6:17pm On Feb 04, 2017
I sent you a pm.
jaybiz007:

GRE: 314
GPA:3.70/4.00
TOEFL: 101
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jaybiz007(m): 6:53pm On Feb 04, 2017
adetola007:

Thanks. Baba I dey envy your profile o. I've already accepted the kfupm offer but waiting to see if I can get a better one. grin Yeah, it's university of Utah and I realised we applied to the same schools when you posted about it. But since you can't go to all 3 schools at once, I'll gladly accept anyone you reject. Our prayer is to get admission and funding, that's all that matters.

Chief, I plan to apply to KFUPM for fall admission too. Could you please put me through the process?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jaybiz007(m): 6:58pm On Feb 04, 2017
sirRiddy:
I sent you a pm.
Chief seeker08 and sirRiddy, I can't access my pm(s). Kindly mail me through: wisehay007@gmail.com
I look forward to reading from you both sirs.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jaybiz007(m): 7:02pm On Feb 04, 2017
seeker88:

Any update from them? And what program did u apply for? Mine is Mech Eng, MSc.
Boss, I'm sending u pm right away.

Sir, it's PhD in Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering major.

(1) (2) (3) ... (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) (186) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.