Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,310 members, 7,815,563 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:34 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (495) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1350907 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (492) (493) (494) (495) (496) (497) (498) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by calculator123(m): 1:50pm On Jun 29, 2019
Quoran:
Been a while I visited this thread. Alot of amazing GRE scores. Kudos guys.
Omo Stanford. It's been awhile o but we understand Sha.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by calculator123(m): 1:56pm On Jun 29, 2019
oracle009:
Wow!... this page have been really helpful. Thank you everyone.
Profile:
BSc Botany degree (3.89/5)
Msc Botany degree (4.73/5)
2 yrs experience as an Operations Officer with World Bank assisted programmes
1 yr research experience
1 American accepted seminar paper presentation (I didn't attend coz of cash)
2 local publications

I intend to apply for PhD Plant Biotech or Genetics
I want to write the GRE next week, but I don't know what schools to put down for full funding. I actually need guidance on what to look for in choosing schools.

I also intend to write IELTS academic for considerations in European schools.

I'm married....looking forward to full relocation later.

I need your guidance to choose schools and States.

Thanks
If you plan on applying to schools in USA, I will advise you write TOEFL instead of IELTS.
Your profile is solid. I strongly believe that you will land a fully funded admission.
Good luck!

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by sholaball: 4:29pm On Jun 29, 2019
[quote author=calculator123 post=79779634]
How many schools have you been able to come up with?

Just one school

Central Michigan University

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by uzoexcel(m): 6:41pm On Jun 29, 2019
AkAbiola:
Please house,
I completed my imputation and submitted on step 3 of WES unofficial transcript evaluation around 3am or there about today.
This is 7am and I haven't seen any email of the result.

Does it take much time, when should I be expecting it? Couple of days, weeks, hours?

Should I go do another one?

Thanks for helping out guys in anticipation

i saw ur post in the now locked USA thread on admission..u have a c.gp of 4.47/5.00. Please do not waste it.
Look up erasmus mundus double masters degree scholarshp courses.

I will drop a few links here..But try and have ielts/toefl and/or GRE. It will stand you in good stead.

https://each.ut.ee/EACH/
https://each.ut.ee/EACH/the-study-program/
This two-year Erasmus Mundus joint master’s programme, Excellence in Analytical CHemistry, focuses on analytical chemistry in the most diverse way. The graduates are qualified to work in chemical analysis laboratories and industry, in senior positions in food, pharmacy, environment, health, materials, chemical technology, etc.

http://www.imbrsea.eu/
http://www.imbrsea.eu/student/prepare
http://imbrsea.eu/studyprogramme
The International Master in Marine Biological Resources (IMBRSea), is a joint Master programme organized by ten leading European universities in the field of marine sciences. IMBRSea covers a wide range of subjects related to the sustainable use of marine biological resources. With an emphasis on marine biological and ecological processes, the programme links biology of marine organisms and environmental studies with subjects in marine policy and planning.

https://www.imete.eu/
https://www.imete.eu/admission-requirements
The International Master of Science in Environmental Technology and Engineering (IMETE) is a Joint Master Degree Programme, taught in English, bringing together students and scholars from all over the world. In IMETE, you will become part of a new generation of environmental scientists. As a graduate, you will be able to design and apply state-of-the-art environmental technology and engineering solutions to tackle today’s global environmental problems.

http://www.master-serp.eu/programme/index.php
http://www.master-serp.eu/apply/index.php

The international study programme includes courses, tutorials, and lab trainings in cutting-edge areas related to renewable energies, green chemistry, radiation effects, nanomaterials for the industry and nanomedicine. A strong partnership with SMEs, academic institutions and research and innovation centres in Europe, Asia, and Latin America, allow the students to strengthen their professional skills and build their network.The students must complete their training with a 6-month internship in the academic sector or in the industry. An intensive summer school also fosters the students' entrepreneurial skills including economy management, communication, patent law, and technology transfer so they can face the job market.

http://merplus.merconsortium.eu/why-mer/socio-economic-background/
http://merplus.merconsortium.eu/programme/aims-objectives/

The programme is aimed at:
forming multidisciplinary graduates of transverse research profile in a fully integrated world class EU MSc programme.
developing the student’s critical understanding of technical and scientific tools together with excellent management abilities and personal skills;
achieving high academic standards, which is supported by recognised quality assurance (QA) procedures;
promoting both staff exchange and student mobility under a balanced ECTS scheme.

https://www.u-picardie.fr/come-to-the-upjv/mundus-mesc/welcome/
https://www.u-picardie.fr/come-to-the-upjv/mundus-mesc/curriculum-mobility/
The MESC+ Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree is a 2-year programme in Materials Science and Electrochemistry, fully taught in English, involving 5 Universities in 4 European countries (France, Poland, Slovenia and Spain), 2 Universities in USA and Australia, a European Research Institute (ALISTORE), the French Network on Energy Storage (RS2E), the Slovenian National Institute of Chemistry (NIC) and a leading Research Center in Spain (CIC Energigune).It is run by a number of world-renowned members of Research Laboratories in the field of energy-related materials who work closely together through several European and trans-European projects.

Goodluck

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Folawegbemisola: 6:45pm On Jun 29, 2019
sholaball:
Guys which safe school can I apply to with this grade of mine

CGPA: 3.79 on 5.0 scale
GRE: V: 151 Q:147

I want to do MS Chemistry

You should consider Wright state university in US and a graduate diploma in Canada, admission is faster and surer. For more information, visit www.mcfedututors.com or whatsapp 08056516226
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by horlahsunbo225(m): 6:49pm On Jun 29, 2019
sholaball:
Guys which safe school can I apply to with this grade of mine

CGPA: 3.79 on 5.0 scale
GRE: V: 151 Q:147

I want to do MS Chemistry

Follow this link and scrow down gently
http://www.msinus.com/content/profile-evaluation-ms-us-261/
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by sholaball: 7:41pm On Jun 29, 2019
Follow this link and scrow down gently
http://www.msinus.com/content/profile-evaluation-ms-us-261

Thank you very much bro
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by calculator123(m): 7:55pm On Jun 29, 2019
[quote author=sholaball post=79783254][/quote]
You need to come up with more schools except if you have decided to apply to just one(not advisable by the way).
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Embell: 9:56pm On Jun 29, 2019
Insightful. Thank you very much. I really appreciate.

calculator123:

If you are aiming fall2020, by now you should have written the GRE, TOEFL or be in the process of writing soon.
To get safe schools that matches your profile with availability of funds, I will advice you use sites like gradcafe,Msinus, Usnews etc.
Ensure you visit the site of this schools, mail the grad coordinators and shortlist the schools you believe you are more likely to enter with funding too.
Best of luck!

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by oracle009(m): 9:59pm On Jun 29, 2019
calculator123:

If you plan on applying to schools in USA, I will advise you write TOEFL instead of IELTS.
Your profile is solid. I strongly believe that you will land a fully funded admission.
Good luck!

Ook...noted boss. Thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Megadixh: 8:26am On Jun 30, 2019
Am in Lagos... can we work out something as regards to preparation?
scipy:
Hi
If you are in Lagos and you don't mind
I'm looking for a study partner for my GRE
Especially on Saturdays

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by sholaball: 9:12am On Jun 30, 2019
You need to come up with more schools except if you have decided to apply to just one(not advisable by the way).

Definitely bro I am doing goin to come up with 3 more schools. Someone share a link here wit yesterday so I would be checking it out
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by amostic(m): 12:58pm On Jul 01, 2019
Please can we connect
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by amostic(m): 1:00pm On Jul 01, 2019
user4321:

Official scores came in today
Q-163 V-161 AWA- 4.5

Can we connect??
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by amostic(m): 1:02pm On Jul 01, 2019
user4321:

Official scores came in today
Q-163 V-161 AWA- 4.5

This is my email
Abidemi.ogunola@gmail.com
I would love to ask some questions please,my examination ia fast approaching.

Thank you.
I have been trying to send you an Inmail but it's not going through
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by amostic(m): 1:12pm On Jul 01, 2019
CptCharlesVane:

What's the interval between the two exams? On the bright side you improved, indicating that you can keep improving for a much better competitive score. If you're willing to give it another try, send a message and I can help with some of the current editions of GRE prep material ebooks.

For techniques towards improvement, endeavour to keep a log of question types you struggle with and practice more on improving on those areas. Also, don't register for the test before preparing so you don't add more pressure on yourself.

I'm also a borderline 2:1 so I understand how i
uphill it might seem holding up against competition. Since you cannot change your GPA, focus on what you can do to improve your profile like acing the GRE, and getting strong recommendations and SOP. You might want to consider taking the subject GRE if possible

There's an art to contacting them, especially when nothing really stands out about your profile so if it's going to be generic, don't bother; well you could always try, but you would most likely be ignored. Quoran has a number of posts about this.

I doubt there's any program with funding that isn't very competitive and increasing in the no. of applicants. Let it serve as your motivation and take solace in the fact the STEM fields are less competitive than non-STEM ones. There's always that chance for you to get in.

Prepare to take the GRE again and see how it goes, aim for fall '20 as well, in-between take up roles like teaching, research, conference etc anything that would improve your profile and application

Don't we all feel inadequate? You'd be surprised how many elite scientists feel the same. Even our brother here with 8 publications and top 1% GPA was quite unsure about his prospects. grin So don't worry, it's normal. Let this your achievement be emphasised in your SOP as this actually indicates you are capable of doing research, essentially what admissions look for in a candidate.

Don't know about schools but you might want to start looking at Gradcafe for funding info with your GPA range in addition to suggestions you would get here.

You'll be fine, you are in a good place for insights. Best of luck in your endeavour and welcome.

Well done boss

Can you help me with the latest preparation materials for GRE,I sent you a mail already.

Thank you boss
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Tamison: 1:42pm On Jul 01, 2019
Guys! This GRE has shown me pepper....just wrote it and had a score of 294 ���.
Anyway,I sent it to 4 schools.
My profile goes thus:
BSc Industrial & Production Engineering ( 2.94/4.0)
MSc Industrial Engineering (3.49/4.0).
I intended to write TOEFL but this GRE English has showed me pepper. Any thoughts?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CptCharlesVane: 2:10pm On Jul 01, 2019
Fall '20? What are you applying for? If you have the funds, give the GRE another shot. There's still time and I believe you will do much better.
Tamison:
Guys! This GRE has shown me pepper....just wrote it and had a score of 294 ���.
Anyway,I sent it to 4 schools.
My profile goes thus:
BSc Industrial & Production Engineering ( 2.94/4.0)
MSc Industrial Engineering (3.49/4.0).
I intended to write TOEFL but this GRE English has showed me pepper. Any thoughts?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Tamison: 2:20pm On Jul 01, 2019
CptCharlesVane:
Fall '20? What are you applying for? If you have the funds, give the GRE another shot. There's still time and I believe you will do much better.

Spring oh! Funds is a serious issue.....it's just not been easy combining reading with work. I'd speak to potential supervisors and hear what they have to say. I'm applying for PhD.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CptCharlesVane: 2:27pm On Jul 01, 2019
Better then. But if you can try to retake, it would greatly improve your chances even for spring as there's still time. Take TOEFL asap and try to get a great speaking score. smiley
Tamison:

Spring oh! Funds is a serious issue.....it's just not been easy combining reading with work. [b] I'd speak to potential supervisors and hear what they have to say. [/b]I'm applying for PhD.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Tamison: 3:20pm On Jul 01, 2019
CptCharlesVane:
Better then. But if you can try to retake, it would greatly improve your chances even for spring as there's still time. Take TOEFL asap and try to get a great speaking score. smiley
Okay. Thank you very much. Can I private chat you?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pointmond: 3:29pm On Jul 01, 2019
Hello,

I'd like to understand this WES evaluation better before starting.

Can I use hellofax to fax my transcript (UNOFFICIAL) to WES-US?

If yes, how ll they contact my school back for confirmation? Or am I to input my school's address somewhere along the line? Since it's the unofficial transcript, will the confirmation make it official? (Please permit my ignorance)

Can someone put me through the process like a summary.

I also read about getting the official transcript from the school nd sending it yourself to WES. Which address should I use as the sender? Mine? School's?

Can I also fax my original WAEC certificate myself? Is that accepted?

Thanks in advance
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dipomania070: 6:23pm On Jul 01, 2019
pointmond:
Hello,

I'd like to understand this WES evaluation better before starting.

Can I use hellofax to fax my transcript (UNOFFICIAL) to WES-US?

If yes, how ll they contact my school back for confirmation? Or am I to input my school's address somewhere along the line? Since it's the unofficial transcript, will the confirmation make it official? (Please permit my ignorance)

Can someone put me through the process like a summary.

I also read about getting the official transcript from the school nd sending it yourself to WES. Which address should I use as the sender? Mine? School's?

Can I also fax my original WAEC certificate myself? Is that accepted?

Thanks in advance

First, register an account online with WES, make payment and you will be given a REFERENCE NUMBER. Also you will see a detailed info on how and where(address) to send it on your dashboard.

Second, You can't send any unofficial copy of your document to WES. It won't be accept. The only document you can send through FAX is your degree certificate. Your Degree Transcript and WAEC has to be sent directly from the institution.

SO WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO?
STEP 1. After making payment to WES, take out your REFERENCE NUMBER. Make sure you include this number on all your documents you will be sending to WES.

STEP 2: Go to your university, request for your transcript and give instruction to be sent to the WES address on your dashboard.

Step 3: Go to WAEC, process your confirmation of result and instruct them to send it to WES adress on your Dashboard.

Don't worry yet how they will contact your school. They know how to contact them. When it gets to that stage you'll also see it on your dashboard. Yours is to hasten your school to verify quick if you attended a public university.

MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE YOUR REF NO IN ALL DOCUMENTS

Kindly find the attached image of WES US address tho you will see all this on your dashboard

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pointmond: 12:22am On Jul 02, 2019
dipomania070:

First, register an account online with WES, make payment and you will be given a REFERENCE NUMBER. Also you will see a detailed info on how and where(address) to send it on your dashboard.

Second, You can't send any unofficial copy of your document to WES. It won't be accept. The only document you can send through FAX is your degree certificate. Your Degree Transcript and WAEC has to be sent directly from the institution.

SO WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO?
STEP 1. After making payment to WES, take out your REFERENCE NUMBER. Make sure you include this number on all your documents you will be sending to WES.

STEP 2: Go to your university, request for your transcript and give instruction to be sent to the WES address on your dashboard.

Step 3: Go to WAEC, process your confirmation of result and instruct them to send it to WES adress on your Dashboard.

Don't worry yet how they will contact your school. They know how to contact them. When it gets to that stage you'll also see it on your dashboard. Yours is to hasten your school to verify quick if you attended a public university.

MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE YOUR REF NO IN ALL DOCUMENTS

Kindly find the attached image of WES US address tho you will see all this on your dashboard

Thanks so much. I really appreciate.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by invinzible1: 10:21am On Jul 02, 2019
Good Morning.
I'm about to apply for 2020 fall, The Schools I'm applying are all in the states.
I have some questions bothering me
1. Which exams should I take (GRE TOFEL IELTS)
2. How do I send my transcript and other documents to the school.
3. Can someone help me summarized the process or link me to who knows the process.
Thank you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pierre92(m): 11:02am On Jul 02, 2019
invinzible1:
Good Morning.
I'm about to apply for 2020 fall, The Schools I'm applying are all in the states.
3. Can someone help me summarized the process or link me to who knows the process.
Thank you
According to femi312:

There is this saying that says ''If we don't fight we have failed, but if
we fight we can either fail or succeed''. So forget the tuition part for
now and put in some work. First, you need to decide on the course
you want to study, To save you some stress start from this
website http://graddecision.org/ to know the application process, So
step 1) Decide on the course you want to study 2) Search for schools
using a) www.msinus.com (open this website with a laptop, you
should see a list of school and ranking for some of the most
common courses, you can start from there
b) www.gradschools.com c) www.google.com (you can just type
'msc
in bla bla in the us in google' d) www.usnews.com e) www.4icu.org .
3) check up the website of the schools you find, to see the
requirements. most schools will require GRE and some will require
both gre and toefl . 4) Register for standardize exam and take it. You
can register for gre as soon as you are ready and prepared to take
the exam. Its done online at www.ets.org. You can also get all the
information you need about the exam on the website. You will get
adequate materials to prepare for the exam in this dropbox I
createdhttps://www.dropbox.com/sh/t9ot6d07hp1lkm7/
AADL_dTihjEvNBRCBsmAcoXja?dl=0
TOEFL is an English test required by some US universities. though,
some schools waive due to the fact that Nigeria is an Anglophone
country.
For toefl, all you need are the speaking noteful videos in the link
below, the ets toefl guide is enough to ace the exam for other
sections. Just download the toefl ETS Guide from there website and
the simulation test.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/45tvc3ifi8wh8sh/
AACXR5j6l3nsWK8vZx5P28TVa?dl=0
As for the Tuition, if you have good results (GRE, GPA, Toefl), SOP
and LOR; US schools do offer assistanship to graduate students. This
can either be Research Assistant, Teaching Assistant or
Administrative Assistant. Depending on the school, if you get an
assistantship, your Tuition will be waived and you will also be paid a
monthly stipend that can take care of your living expenses. One
advice, once you shortlist schools, send emails to the grad cord of
the schools and ask specific questions relating to that course and
funding opportunities, be very explicit.
Lastly, there are basically 2 admission session in the US, Spring
(Jan) and Fall (August). Schools admit more students in Fall, so Its
advisable you plan towards Fall 2020.If you plan to resume in fall
2020,make sure you submit all your application documents before
ending of Dec 2019

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pierre92(m): 11:06am On Jul 02, 2019
invinzible1:
Good Morning.
Thank you
Some schools will ask you to upload the transcript. Some will ask you to evaluate your transcript. While others will ask you to send it directly to them from your undergraduate institution. Bottom line,it varies.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MIYATI: 8:24am On Jul 04, 2019
Please I will like to connect with anyone who is preparing to write GRE in osogbo. Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by BelieverDE: 3:41am On Jul 05, 2019
Good Day All,

I got to know about this thread when I was searching for Erasmus Mundus scholarship thread on nairaland. I would like to know if it is possible for an individual to bypass the TOEFL.....A friend of mine told me he used a letter of recommendation from his school's Registrar in lieu of TOEFL

Is this possible?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:53am On Jul 05, 2019
BelieverDE:
Good Day All,

I got to know about this thread when I was searching for Erasmus Mundus scholarship thread on nairaland. I would like to know if it is possible for an individual to bypass the TOEFL.....A friend of mine told me he used a letter of recommendation from his school's Registrar in lieu of TOEFL

Is this possible?
Yes that could work, but its based on the discretion of the admissions committee, so mail the Grad coordinator/ admissions officers, and ask explicitly.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Anfieldboss: 3:35pm On Jul 05, 2019
Guys, please can you recommend good and reputable international journals in engineering (electrical engineering precisely) I can send my work to. Most of the journals I see are indian journals and I doubt their credibility. Although one of the indian journal already accepted my manuscript, I kinda doubt their credibility as they accepted my paper within 24 hours.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (492) (493) (494) (495) (496) (497) (498) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.