Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,035 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:08 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (497) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1351883 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (494) (495) (496) (497) (498) (499) (500) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pierre92(m): 2:58am On Jul 10, 2019
TJ0987:
Guys I'm scared, scared of writing the GRE again. I've written twice before and the results were not impressive. First in 2014, and then in 2017 where I scored 298.
I'm not even sure magoosh videos would suffice, because I just don't believe in myself right now.
Are there reputable Tutors I can use probably on Saturdays? I'm looking to take the exams in October. Please I would appreciate your opinion on tested and trusted tutors here in Lagos. Thank you.
Have you checked BY Mafit? They seem to be reliable
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TJ0987(f): 8:26am On Jul 10, 2019
Thank you brother, will do so today.
calculator123:

Contact bymafit
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TJ0987(f): 8:26am On Jul 10, 2019
Thank you brother.
pierre92:

Have you checked BY Mafit? They seem to be reliable
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 8:57am On Jul 10, 2019
TJ0987:
Thank you brother.
My Advice: Do not write the GRE again, It would be flushing of Money down the ETS toilet!
Now is the time to focus on other parts of the application, and accepe the limitations of the schools you can apply to and start marking your strengths and weaknesses.
Do you have an MSc., you can start summarizing your thesis, and pivoting it as your research strength.
Do you have just a BSc. then also look at your final year project and try to paint it in the new direction you want to take.
There's someone on this thread like three years ago, who got full funding at Louisiana State, with significant funding with 297.
Forget the GRE Altogether, Explain it briefly in the SOP if you must, and begin strengthening other parts of your application; application season is almost upon us, it's time to press on.

9 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MIYATI: 10:06am On Jul 10, 2019
Can anyone help me with free manuscript publishers in science/pharmaceutical sciences related modules, i dont have any money to pay to publish o lol. Thank you. And i will be glad to meet anyone who resides in osogbo and is preparing to write gre
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 2:31pm On Jul 10, 2019
Sherlock5577:
It's been a while I have given updates concerning my applications smiley

My profile as at the time of my application:

GPA = 4.59/5.0 (B.Sc. Geology and Mining)
GRE = 154/157/4.0 (V/Q/AWA)
TOEFL = 105 (R-30, L-25, W-28, S-22)
Work experience: Been a Graduate Assistant for a few months.

I applied to three schools (all M.Sc.)

Texas Tech University - Rejected. Reason = Insufficient funds, despite a good profile. I was wait listed for funding at first before getting their love letter grin. I guess funding and admission are simultaneous.

New Mexico Tech (Safe School) - Rejected. Reason = POI informed me he couldn't secure anticipated funds and wouldn't take on new grad students this year.

University of Louisiana, Lafayette - Accepted. Wait listed for funding and got another love letter informing me I wasn't selected for the second round of funded offers.

Hopefuls don't be dismayed. So many factors go into getting admits and funding.
Congrats to all those who got admits and funding. It wasn't an easy feat.
If there was any mistake I think I might have made was applying to schools without back up POIs within them. So please when applying it is good there are various options of POIs within your research group of interest who could select you as their grad student peradventure your intended POI doesn't secure the grant he/she is anticipating (I hope this makes some sense )

It is an honour being here smiley. I have learnt a lot from this process.

I'll probably try again some other time, but till then,

Cheers wink

Its high time I place this here. My previous post is quoted here.

Just a few days after the post above I got a GTA waiving my tuition. Sometimes when it seems it's over, the best is about to come.

Transcript as I remember it ☺ (Not a mistake I'm posting a Visa transcript).
Abuja Consulate.

8th July, 2019. (I just collected my international passport today)

Window 8/9 (Can't recall, but last window on the right when facing the VO)
White lady (She was typing most of the time).

Me: Good morning
VO: Good morning.

Pass me your passport?
Your I-20 too.
Have you travelled before?
Me: No
VO: What would you be doing in the US?
Me: I would be going for my masters in Geology at ULL.
VO: What are you currently doing?
Me: I am a Grad Assistant at University of **** (From her countenance, I felt she didn't want any more response, so I didn't say more)
VO: What would you do when you get back?
Me: I would come back to my current job. This masters degree would enable me get to the rank of an Assistant Lecturer at University of ****. I also intend to create a research lab, a Petroleum Geoscience research lab, alongside my colleague and in the long run I hope to join a Research Group or Institute. (She was typing and nodding as if I don dey talk too much sef. (I think she saw my Graduate Teaching Assistantship at ULL)
VO: Who would be funding the remaining cost?
Me: My mum and elder sister.
VO: What do they do?
Me: They are both lecturers at Nigerian Universities, and my sister is currently carrying out a fully funded PhD.
VO: Where is she carrying out this PhD?
Me: The United Kingdom.

Your Visa has been approved.
She gave two slips and said some other stuff I tried to listen to well but can't recall now. ☺

Profile again:
BSc Geology and Mining
4.59/5.00
GRE: 311 - Q/V - 157/154 (Analytical writing - 4)
Experience: Few months of being a University Lecturer at time of application.
Applied to three schools: only one acceptance and was awarded a Graduate Teaching Assistantship (Tuition ($25212) waived).
Defit/Living expenses is $10848. I'll work for just 10 hours weekly.

1 publication in an open access journal.

3 Massive Open Online Courses (MOOC) certificates from reputable schools in the world.

No documents aside my international passport and Form I 20 were requested from me by the VO.

God's grace was really evident. I was shocked when the VO said approved. I actually expected more questions.

Please mind what you post online and how you fill your DS 160 (Those who get to this point would understand better).

I wish all prospective applicants the best! Please do not relent, and do your research well. Having the patience to read through most posts on this thread would answer many questions you have.
Indeed with God all things are possible!!
Thanks to everyone who helped out for their encouragement and help at some point in time (too many names to call).
Thanks to Danjaninja.. You probably never thought the thread would last for so long! My life was changed when I saw this thread!!

It is a long journey which requires patience and tenacity.

Yes we can!!! �

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mrsonofgrace: 2:37pm On Jul 10, 2019
Sherlock5577:

Just a few days after the post above I got a GTA waiving my tuition. Sometimes when it seems it's over, the best is about to come.

Abuja Consulate.

Pass me your passport?
Your I-20 too.
Me: I am a Grad Assistant at University of **** (From her countenance, I felt she didn't want any more response, so I didn't say more)
Me: I would come back to my current job. This masters degree would enable me get to the rank of an Assistant Lecturer at University of ****. I also intend to create a research lab, a Petroleum Geoscience research lab, alongside my colleague and in the long run I hope to join a Research Group or Institute. (She was typing and nodding as if I don dey talk too much sef. (I think she saw my Graduate Teaching Assistantship at ULL)
Me: My mum is a lecturer at the same University of ****, and my sister was a lecturer at a Private University, **** University, and is currently carrying out a fully funded PhD.

She gave two slips and said some other stuff I tried to listen to well but can't recall now. ☺

Profile again:
BSc Geology and Mining
4.59/5.00
Applied to three schools: only one acceptance and was awarded a Graduate Teaching Assistantship (Tuition ($25212) waived).

3 Massive Open Online Courses (MOOC) certificates from reputable schools in the world.

No documents aside my international passport and Form I 20 were requested from me by the VO.

God's grace was really evident. I was shocked when the VO said approved. I actually expected more questions.

Please mind what you post online and how you fill your DS 160 (Those who get to this point would understand better).

I wish all prospective applicants the best! Please do not relent, and do your research well. Having the patient to through most posts on this thread would answer many questions you have.
Thanks to everyone who helped out for their encouragement and help at some point in time (too many names to call).
Thanks to Danjaninja.. You probably never thought the thread would last for so long! My life was changed when I saw this thread!!

Yes we can!!! �

Congrats

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 2:41pm On Jul 10, 2019
mrsonofgrace:

Congrats
Thanks. May His grace be with you wink
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by HisGrace0000001(m): 2:44pm On Jul 10, 2019
Sherlock5577:

Abuja Consulate.

Pass me your passport?
Your I-20 too.
Me: My mum is a lecturer at the same University of ****, and my sister was a lecturer at a Private University, **** University, and is currently carrying out a fully funded PhD.

Profile again:
BSc Geology and Mining
4.59/5.00

I wish all prospective applicants the best! Please do not relent, and do your research well. Having the patience to read through most posts on this thread would answer many questions you have.

Yes we can!!! �

And yes you did!!!
A very big congratulations, sir.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 2:50pm On Jul 10, 2019
HisGrace0000001:

And yes you did!!!
A very big congratulations, sir.
Thanks smiley smiley. It's been a while !
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pierre92(m): 2:54pm On Jul 10, 2019
Sherlock5577:

Congratulations!

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 3:24pm On Jul 10, 2019
pierre92:

Congratulations!
Thanks smiley

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pointmond: 3:42pm On Jul 10, 2019
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jul 10, 2019
Sherlock5577:

Yes we can!!!

congrats scholar.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jul 10, 2019
Sherlock5577:

Thanks smiley
Congratulations man!!!!!

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mrsonofgrace: 4:34pm On Jul 10, 2019
Sherlock5577:
Thanks. May His grace be with you wink
Amen sir

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by HisGrace0000001(m): 5:22pm On Jul 10, 2019
Sherlock5577:
Thanks smiley smiley. It's been a while !
Yeah

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 5:40pm On Jul 10, 2019
user4321:

Congratulations man!!!!!
Thanks boss
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 5:40pm On Jul 10, 2019
nelem:

congrats scholar.
Thank you. I hope to read your good news too!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by soar10: 6:02pm On Jul 10, 2019
[quote author=Sherlock5577 post=80127413]

Abuja Consulate.

Pass me your passport?
Your I-20 too.

Profile again:
BSc Geology and Mining
4.59/5.00

Yes we can!!! �

Oh my!!!
Sherlock5577, i remember your last post on the admissions and no funding. Am so glad things came through for you.
Congratulations, this is a victory well deserved.

God bless your new journey.
Cheers

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by soar10: 6:06pm On Jul 10, 2019
Sherlock 5577 Pm you kindly reply
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 6:13pm On Jul 10, 2019
[quote author=soar10 post=80133910][/quote]
Thank you smiley
Life is full of unforeseen circumstances wink
I hope to read your good news too!
I've replied your pm.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Afo1k: 6:23pm On Jul 10, 2019
Sherlock5577:

Abuja Consulate.

Pass me your passport?
Your I-20 too.

Profile again:
BSc Geology and Mining
4.59/5.00

Yes we can!!! �

Congratulations. Happy for you

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 6:24pm On Jul 10, 2019
Afo1k:
Congratulations. Happy for you
Thanks smiley
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Jadsy01(f): 6:26pm On Jul 10, 2019
Are you an aspiring writer and you do not have a platform to showcase your work? If this is you, we are giving writers an avenue to post their work on our platform www.ekomiami.com.ng All writings will be credited to the author including photos of the author. If you are interested send an email to contact@ekomiami.com.ng or admin@ekomiami.com.ng
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CptCharlesVane: 6:26pm On Jul 10, 2019
@sherlock5577 Congrats bro, you deserve it cool

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by 4gunners(m): 6:33pm On Jul 10, 2019
@sherlock5577 Congrats!!!

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CptCharlesVane: 7:51pm On Jul 10, 2019
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jul 10, 2019
Sherlock5577:

Thank you. I hope to read your good news too!

Yes boss. good news already shared on the other thread. success for us all

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 10:15pm On Jul 10, 2019
nelem:

Yes boss. good news already shared on the other thread. success for us all
Wow. I didn't realise this.
Congratulations is in order!!
Best years ahead for us all!! smiley

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 10:16pm On Jul 10, 2019
4gunners:
@sherlock5577 Congrats!!!
Thanks so much!! smiley
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 10:20pm On Jul 10, 2019
CptCharlesVane:
@sherlock5577 Congrats bro, you deserve it cool
Thanks smiley
Glad to see you're also good to go!
Congratulations!! wink

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (494) (495) (496) (497) (498) (499) (500) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.