Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,713 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:36 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (498) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1353159 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (495) (496) (497) (498) (499) (500) (501) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 10:36pm On Jul 10, 2019
Sherlock5577, I knew you'd get something even if not this time, your next admission cycle would have been great. It seems you are avoiding the PhD route which somewhat limited you. I do understand why you would take that pathway if that is your plan. Congrats.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by paulbets: 10:49pm On Jul 10, 2019
Congratulations Sherlock5577. Your victory is well deserved... Welcome to the US of A

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 10:53pm On Jul 10, 2019
paulbets:
Congratulations Sherlock5577. Your victory is well deserved... Welcome to the US of A
Thanks smiley
It's been a while!!

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iamblisz(m): 10:55pm On Jul 10, 2019
Sherlock5577:

Thanks smiley
It's been a while!!

Congratulations

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 11:02pm On Jul 10, 2019
Scholastica16:
Sherlock5577, I knew you'd get something even if not this time, your next admission cycle would have been great. It seems you are avoiding the PhD route which somewhat limited you. I do understand why you would take that pathway if that is your plan. Congrats.
I suspected you were silently waiting for good news. Thanks a lot! smiley
Indeed my choice really limited me and sincerely I had some regrets opting for just the M.Sc. option (mostly due to doubts that the current system would accept it). Lessons learnt the hard way. I am just glad it turned out good smiley!!
I appreciate you looking out for quite a number of us!

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 11:04pm On Jul 10, 2019
iamblisz:

Congratulations
Thanks iamblisz!!
Long time!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iamblisz(m): 5:10pm On Jul 11, 2019
Sherlock5577:

Thanks iamblisz!!
Long time!
No see. I'm still here pushing it, struggling to cross the average mark on the GRE.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by segunbolawole: 7:25pm On Jul 11, 2019
Thanks for this information..

The links to the drop box aren't going thru. Kindly help with that
pierre92:

According to femi312:

There is this saying that says ''If we don't fight we have failed, but if
we fight we can either fail or succeed''. So forget the tuition part for
now and put in some work. First, you need to decide on the course
you want to study, To save you some stress start from this
website http://graddecision.org/ to know the application process, So
step 1) Decide on the course you want to study 2) Search for schools
using a) www.msinus.com (open this website with a laptop, you
should see a list of school and ranking for some of the most
common courses, you can start from there
b) www.gradschools.com c) www.google.com (you can just type
'msc
in bla bla in the us in google' d) www.usnews.com e) www.4icu.org .
3) check up the website of the schools you find, to see the
requirements. most schools will require GRE and some will require
both gre and toefl . 4) Register for standardize exam and take it. You
can register for gre as soon as you are ready and prepared to take
the exam. Its done online at www.ets.org. You can also get all the
information you need about the exam on the website. You will get
adequate materials to prepare for the exam in this dropbox I
createdhttps://www.dropbox.com/sh/t9ot6d07hp1lkm7/
AADL_dTihjEvNBRCBsmAcoXja?dl=0
TOEFL is an English test required by some US universities. though,
some schools waive due to the fact that Nigeria is an Anglophone
country.
For toefl, all you need are the speaking noteful videos in the link
below, the ets toefl guide is enough to ace the exam for other
sections. Just download the toefl ETS Guide from there website and
the simulation test.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/45tvc3ifi8wh8sh/
AACXR5j6l3nsWK8vZx5P28TVa?dl=0
As for the Tuition, if you have good results (GRE, GPA, Toefl), SOP
and LOR; US schools do offer assistanship to graduate students. This
can either be Research Assistant, Teaching Assistant or
Administrative Assistant. Depending on the school, if you get an
assistantship, your Tuition will be waived and you will also be paid a
monthly stipend that can take care of your living expenses. One
advice, once you shortlist schools, send emails to the grad cord of
the schools and ask specific questions relating to that course and
funding opportunities, be very explicit.
Lastly, there are basically 2 admission session in the US, Spring
(Jan) and Fall (August). Schools admit more students in Fall, so Its
advisable you plan towards Fall 2020.If you plan to resume in fall
2020,make sure you submit all your application documents before
ending of Dec 2019

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by graciousify(f): 7:35pm On Jul 11, 2019
Sherlock5577:

Its high time I place this here. My previous post is quoted here.

Just a few days after the post above I got a GTA waiving my tuition. Sometimes when it seems it's over, the best is about to come.

Transcript as I remember it ☺ (Not a mistake I'm posting a Visa transcript).
Abuja Consulate.

8th July, 2019. (I just collected my international passport today)

Window 8/9 (Can't recall, but last window on the right when facing the VO)
White lady (She was typing most of the time).

Me: Good morning
VO: Good morning.

Pass me your passport?
Your I-20 too.
Have you travelled before?
Me: No
VO: What would you be doing in the US?
Me: I would be going for my masters in Geology at ULL.
VO: What are you currently doing?
Me: I am a Grad Assistant at University of **** (From her countenance, I felt she didn't want any more response, so I didn't say more)
VO: What would you do when you get back?
Me: I would come back to my current job. This masters degree would enable me get to the rank of an Assistant Lecturer at University of ****. I also intend to create a research lab, a Petroleum Geoscience research lab, alongside my colleague and in the long run I hope to join a Research Group or Institute. (She was typing and nodding as if I don dey talk too much sef. (I think she saw my Graduate Teaching Assistantship at ULL)
VO: Who would be funding the remaining cost?
Me: My mum and elder sister.
VO: What do they do?
Me: My mum is a lecturer at the same University of ****, and my sister was a lecturer at a Private University, **** University, and is currently carrying out a fully funded PhD.
VO: Where is she carrying out this PhD?
Me: The United Kingdom.

Your Visa has been approved.
She gave two slips and said some other stuff I tried to listen to well but can't recall now. ☺

Profile again:
BSc Geology and Mining
4.59/5.00
GRE: 311 - Q/V - 157/154 (Analytical writing - 4)
Experience: Few months of being a University Lecturer at time of application.
Applied to three schools: only one acceptance and was awarded a Graduate Teaching Assistantship (Tuition ($25212) waived).
Defit/Living expenses is $10848. I'll work for just 10 hours weekly.

1 publication in an open access journal.

3 Massive Open Online Courses (MOOC) certificates from reputable schools in the world.

No documents aside my international passport and Form I 20 were requested from me by the VO.

God's grace was really evident. I was shocked when the VO said approved. I actually expected more questions.

Please mind what you post online and how you fill your DS 160 (Those who get to this point would understand better).

I wish all prospective applicants the best! Please do not relent, and do your research well. Having the patience to read through most posts on this thread would answer many questions you have.
Indeed with God all things are possible!!
Thanks to everyone who helped out for their encouragement and help at some point in time (too many names to call).
Thanks to Danjaninja.. You probably never thought the thread would last for so long! My life was changed when I saw this thread!!

It is a long journey which requires patience and tenacity.

Yes we can!!! �

What is POI please
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 7:53pm On Jul 11, 2019
iamblisz:

No see. I'm still here pushing it, struggling to cross the average mark on the GRE.

You should keep trying. Change study strategies if possible.
You'll forget about all this stress when it works out. grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 7:54pm On Jul 11, 2019
graciousify:

What is POI please
Professor/Person of Interest. It means a Potential Research Supervisor.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iamblisz(m): 8:05pm On Jul 11, 2019
Sherlock5577:

You should keep trying. Change study strategies if possible.
You'll forget about all this stress when it works out. grin

OK.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by 4gunners(m): 7:58am On Jul 12, 2019
Let me give a summary of my fall 2019 admission journey..

I applied to 4 schools(msc/phd civil engineering), unfortunately, none funded me.

My profile - GRe 313 (Q154, V159, AW3.5)
TOEfL 95
1 project
GP - 3.54/4 ( unofficial wes)

Admit
MTU - MS Civil Engineering (stingy school, not surprised)
USF - MS ( no funding as well)
University of Arkansas - PhD( funding promise not fulfilled. A prof is still playing "politics" with me - hopefully... )
UNH - MS ( 30% scholarship. Not interested )

Reject
University of Washington - Phd( painful rejection.I should av used the app fee to apply to lesser schools. $90 "stolen".

Giving up is not an option. So, I'll refire....Any advice will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by calculator123(m): 8:18am On Jul 12, 2019
intrinsicniyi:

Thanks for the recommendation Bro. Hmmm, re-writing that exam is not an option. #I don tire to dey study sef. cheesy
No wahala just ensure you choose the right schools that your profile matches especially the ones with the "kudi"

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by calculator123(m): 8:22am On Jul 12, 2019
4gunners:

I applied to 4 schools(msc/phd civil engineering), unfortunately, none funded me.

TOEfL 95
1 project

Admit
University of Arkansas - PhD( funding promise not fulfilled. A prof is still playing "politics" with me - hopefully... )

Reject
University of Washington - Phd( painful rejection.I should av used the app fee to apply to lesser schools. $90 "stolen".

Giving up is not an option. So, I'll refire....Any advice will be highly appreciated. Thanks.
I love your resilience bro.
I can bet that you will secure your fully funding admit,
why?
Because you have learnt from the process and now knows the "do's" and "don'ts".
Looking forward to reading your testimony.
Success!!!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by calculator123(m): 8:23am On Jul 12, 2019
4gunners:

TOEfL 95
1 project

Admit

Reject

I love your resilience bro.
I can bet that you will secure your fully funding admit,
why?
Because you have learnt from the process and now knows the "do's" and "don'ts".
Looking forward to reading your testimony.
Success!!!...
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by intrinsicniyi(m): 8:45am On Jul 12, 2019
calculator123:

No wahala just ensure you choose the right schools that your profile matches especially the ones with the "kudi"

Big thanks. If you have any school to recommend, please do.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 2:33pm On Jul 12, 2019
4gunners:

TOEfL 95
1 project

Admit

Reject

This a lot to handle. When I got no funding initially I felt quite hopeless, because of the time, effort and money I put in then.
I believe you'll be fine once you refire. I think you should focus on departments where you would secure more than one POI, in case the funding doesn't come through.
I almost fell victim of this. The school I had the most assurances from rejected me since the POI couldn't secure anticipated funds (This was my safe school). We had been in communication so many times.
I believe you'll be fine smiley
Also ensure your SOP and Recommendation letters are strong.

Brace up!! I know it wouldn't be easy, but I know it is worth it at the end.

My bet is on you!! wink

Yes we can!! Fall/Spring 2020

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by 4gunners(m): 2:46pm On Jul 12, 2019
Sherlock5577:

This a lot to handle. When I got no funding initially I felt quite hopeless, because of the time, effort and money I put in then.
I believe you'll be fine once you refire. I think you should focus on departments where you would secure more than one POI, in case the funding doesn't come through.
I almost fell victim of this. The school I had the most assurances from rejected me since the POI couldn't secure anticipated funds (This was my safe school). We had been in communication so many times.
I believe you'll be fine smiley
Also ensure your SOP and Recommendation letters are strong.

Brace up!! I know it wouldn't be easy, but I know it is worth it at the end.

My bet is on you!! wink

Yes we can!! Fall/Spring 2020
Thanks bro.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by 4gunners(m): 2:47pm On Jul 12, 2019
calculator123:
I love your resilience bro. I can bet that you will secure your fully funding admit, why? Because you have learnt from the process and now knows the "do's" and "don'ts". Looking forward to reading your testimony. Success!!!...
Thanks bro.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by calculator123(m): 3:28pm On Jul 12, 2019
Sherlock5577:

Congratulations Sherlock. Welcome to Trump's land

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 4:55pm On Jul 12, 2019
calculator123:

Congratulations Sherlock. Welcome to Trump's land
Thanks.
So glad we made it!

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by chiboy429(m): 6:41pm On Jul 12, 2019
segunbolawole:
Thanks for this information..

The links to the drop box aren't going thru. Kindly help with that

kindly copy the link to your browser then you take your cursor to the address after pasting it. scrow the cursor gently till you get to where the double AA is , now place your cursor at the front of the first A then delete the space between the first A and the slash click enter and the page will load.

it happened to me immediately I knew the the link was broken I traced it and fix it.

cheers

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by afroxyz: 11:31pm On Jul 12, 2019
scipy:
Hi
If you are in Lagos and you don't mind
I'm looking for a study partner for my GRE
Especially on Saturdays

let's hook up
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sammiel: 2:40pm On Jul 14, 2019
A friend wants to defer his Canadian Degree in Theology admission but was asked to send his waec result to the school through the examination body. My question now is how can he go about it?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:32am On Jul 15, 2019
I
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:36am On Jul 15, 2019
TJ0987:
Guys I'm scared, scared of writing the GRE again. I've written twice before and the results were not impressive. First in 2014, and then in 2017 where I scored 298.
I'm not even sure magoosh videos would suffice, because I just don't believe in myself right now.
Are there reputable Tutors I can use probably on Saturdays? I'm looking to take the exams in October. Please I would appreciate your opinion on tested and trusted tutors here in Lagos. Thank you.

I understand your feelings sir... Contact me on mustaphagidia@gmail.com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Juwon01(f): 6:43pm On Jul 15, 2019
doziej84:

hi, I'd like to make a personal request....how can i reach you?
Please,my mail is ajayipelumi32@yahoo.com
Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by karkinase(m): 7:52pm On Jul 15, 2019
Guys, can one apply to schools directly for PhD without masters and what are the chances in percentage..
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Stevenssen(m): 8:21pm On Jul 15, 2019
karkinase:
Guys, can one apply to schools directly for PhD without masters and what are the chances in percentage..
if your gpa is high, you can. Check the department's requirements
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by karkinase(m): 9:11pm On Jul 15, 2019
Stevenssen:

if your gpa is high, you can. Check the department's requirements
Ok thanks....which do you suggest is better.
Contact the school first for any funding availability OR Apply to the school and ask for funding availability .
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Arclid: 9:13pm On Jul 15, 2019

(1) (2) (3) ... (495) (496) (497) (498) (499) (500) (501) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.