Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,989 members, 7,821,446 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:05 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (553) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1354895 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (550) (551) (552) (553) (554) (555) (556) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by suleyoung(m): 4:18am On May 15, 2020
DreManuel:

Aim for 340 in GRE. If you don't reach your goal you may fall to 330, and that may be alright for your goal.
thanks DRE MANUEL

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by stainless91(m): 2:48pm On May 15, 2020
Hello everyone.

I am interested in applying for PhD program at the University of Florida, Gainsville. I wrote my department graduate co-ordinator as regards securing graduate assistantship.

She replied: "The program will allow you to conduct research and assist in the classroom without compensation."

Although, It is clearly written on the department website that:

"If awarded an assistantship, a graduate student will receive a 1/3-time appointment of $16,000/year (M.S.) or $20,000/year (Ph.D.). The assistantship will cover in-state and out-of-state tuition. However, students must pay non-matriculation fees".

Please, I still don't understand the above statements. I need your contributions and opinions.

Thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 2:58pm On May 15, 2020
stainless91:
Hello everyone.

I am interested in applying for PhD program at the University of Florida, Gainsville. I wrote my department graduate co-ordinator as regards securing graduate assistantship.

She replied: "The program will allow you to conduct research and assist in the classroom without compensation."

Although, It is clearly written on the department website that:

"If awarded an assistantship, a graduate student will receive a 1/3-time appointment of $16,000/year (M.S.) or $20,000/year (Ph.D.). The assistantship will cover in-state and out-of-state tuition. However, students must pay non-matriculation fees".

Please, I still don't understand the above statements. I need your contributions and opinions.

Thanks.

Generally, it's the professors that hire Ph.D. students into their labs, and students then function as an assistant. In many cases, tuition would be waived and the professor will pay stipends (from his grant money). I would spend most of my time getting to know professors in the program I'm targetting and try to get them to bring me on board. There are also cases where the program also hire TAs or GAs and they should waive tuition and pay stipends. However, there are some programs where tuition waivers are impossible (but they are generally professional programs).

To the response you received, I think it was too generic. My take on that is that even if someone doesn't receive an official assistantship, they can still be allowed to conduct research.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by stainless91(m): 3:12pm On May 15, 2020
DreManuel:

Generally, it's the professors that hire Ph.D. students into their labs, and students then function as an assistant. In many cases, tuition would be waived and the professor will pay stipends (from his grant money). I would spend most of my time getting to know professors in the program I'm targetting and try to get them to bring me on board. There are also cases where the program also hire TAs or GAs and they should waive tuition and pay stipends. However, there are some programs where tuition waivers are impossible (but they are generally professional programs).

To the response you received, I think it was too generic. My take on that is that even if someone doesn't receive an official assistantship, they can still be allowed to conduct research.

Thanks DreManuel for your contribution. I am grateful.

Does the offer really worth taking?

Issuance of visa nowadays is mostly contingent upon having adequate funds, won't it raise a red flag?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 4:56pm On May 15, 2020
stainless91:

Thanks DreManuel for your contribution. I am grateful.

Does the offer really worth taking?

Issuance of visa nowadays is mostly contingent upon having adequate funds, won't it raise a red flag?

Honestly, the ball is in your court since I don't know your risk tolerance.

However, it seems you've not even applied to the school you are referring to talkless of an offer of admission. It's the content of your offer letter that should inform your decision making. That's why it's the best practice to edge one's bet by applying to a couple schools so you may have options and even negotiate with schools if you have a leverage.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Officialhow(m): 4:25am On May 17, 2020
Good day house.
Please how much is TOEFL registration?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Tohsynetita1: 8:59am On May 17, 2020
Watch my new video on division without calculator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XJNOx7BFYU

6 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by rkarang: 9:04am On May 18, 2020
Obakenny01:
Hello guys.

============
============

This WhatsApp group is for all graduate students newly admitted to the University of Toledo , Ohio , for Fall 2020 . (See the link below)

Click on my profile and send me an email if you cannot access the link, or just contact +2348160913944 on WhatsApp

Pls share widely and let's connect.

https:///CTSDJWgi4E16ylxiGYpEyv

Contact the number above if link is not working...

How’s the funding like there?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by toprealman: 2:16pm On May 23, 2020
https://www.smerconish.com/survey-question
Guys please case your vote on this.....very necessary. University of California is taking a bold step.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Acuna91: 1:44pm On May 24, 2020
Hello guys

Please, I'm finding difficult to download this Barron Gre simulation from my Android phone. Any tips on how to do that? Or better still another link to download it from.

Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Amazingoreofe: 10:02am On May 30, 2020
Please I need some help regarding University of Massachusetts Amherst

reDazey:
So I have good news. Congratulations to a member of this thread, with the moniker epithet. You can check past pages for his profile.

He was accepted into the Chemical Engineering Phd program at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst with full funding. smiley smiley
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Amazingoreofe: 10:18am On May 30, 2020
please i have some questiuons regarding UMass Amherst can i get your email to communicate better with you
Epithet:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1_LMgHitEU4upusOi9_wfWeaeDnwaAK-m

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=10rSeVq46Za2enLpHgQFD8PM2Ss7tD414

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by quitereal6: 12:21pm On Jun 04, 2020
DanjaNinja:

At the test center, your entitled to four free test reports. While you can still send scores after leaving the test center, you will have to pay $29.00 per score report sent.

In summary: send your test scores at the test center after the test.
Greetings sir.

Does this mean that I have to begin my applications to the schools first, before taking the GRE exam?

I am asking this because I want to take the GRE exam first(maybe late this year or early next year), and then apply to the schools at a much later time (late next year).
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ofspain: 3:18pm On Jun 04, 2020
Please guy, I wrote GRE with a score of 305(verbal: 152, quant: 153) I wish to apply for PhD in chemical engineering in the USA, any school will suffix. I have 3.15 in my undergraduate and 64% in my MSC, please what chances do I stand?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ofspain: 3:23pm On Jun 04, 2020
Hi guys, please is there any company in Nigeria which gives a discount on GRE registration
I wish to register but cannot afford the flat cost
Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 3:34pm On Jun 04, 2020
ofspain:
Please guy, I wrote GRE with a score of 305(verbal: 152, quant: 153) I wish to apply for PhD in chemical engineering in the USA, any school will suffix. I have 3.15 in my undergraduate and 64% in my MSC, please what chances do I stand?

Given your weak undergrad GPA, that GRE score (especially the Quant) is rather low and confirms that your GPA is a true reflection of your academic prowess. If I was an advisor, I wouldn’t hire you except you demonstrate an uncanny ability for scientific research in your field through patents or publications in top scientific journals. Miracles may happen tho.

5 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Epithet: 4:54pm On Jun 04, 2020
ofspain:

Recent post(s) asking for school suggestion, just to summarize. You could start the simple search online. But to make reference to a few links. 1.Google "Msinus" and read the section of schools according to GRE scores.
2. Google "Gradcafe results" and then search in the Tab specifics to your course. Click on profiles to estimate what school is a fair selection. Gpa's are on the 4 point scale. Go onto "wes igpa free converter" to convert the GPA on a 4 point scale.
3. Check Twitter, advertised positions for graduate schools are on there.
4. Check USnews for school lists and then go to the school website(s) to see research interest and requirements.(A lot of questions about requirements, they are school specific so detail that individually for each school).

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by SuomyNona: 11:30pm On Jun 04, 2020
ofspain:

Before you apply find enough funds to evaluate both your Undergraduate degree and MSc grade by WES.

With WES evaluation both grades will be a little above 3.0 on a 4.00 scale depending on your performance in your courses.

After that, you have to be realistic when shortlisting programs to apply to, your GRE is low for an Engineering program (your quant is 49 percentile and Verbal is 54 percentile). Make sure you sit for TOEFL and try to have at least 22(preferably 24) in writing and speaking section, this will put you in a good position to be considered for TA role in case you don't make the cut for RA.

If you can retake the GRE it will be better, but if you can't you can still get good offers with strategic applications. Based on your profile, I will advise you to apply to at least 5 schools. Use the usnews national university ranking. There are 388 nationally ranked uni in the usnews ranking. I will advise you to focus on those schools. Focus on the lowly ranked (250 to 388) schools and a few mid-tier (150 to 250) schools.

Mail all the Graduate Coordinator of your department in the schools you shortlisted and attach all your documents(test scores, transcript, CV), In the mail: ask if you will have to secure a Professor's approval as research supervisor before applying, ask about their funding policies, application priority deadline for funding, requirements needed to be considered for funding, ask if your profile fits grad students that have been funded in the last 2 sessions.

After this, apply to the programs that gives you favourable outcomes. Note that most GC won't reply to your email, some will reply after persistent trials and reminders. Calling them is an option too if emailing doesn't work. With a well-worded SOP detailing your research experience and how they are related to the research being done in the program, coupled with good LORs, you will surely get funded offers. Don't give up and don't be discouraged, your dreams are valid.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by adedayolasu: 6:35am On Jun 06, 2020
DreManuel:

Given your weak undergrad GPA, that GRE score (especially the Quant) is rather low and confirms that your GPA is a true reflection of your academic prowess. If I was an advisor, I wouldn’t hire you except you demonstrate an uncanny ability for scientific research in your field through patents or publications in top scientific journals. Miracles may happen tho.
And that's why you are not his advisor! Don't u feel that is harsh, you want him/her to be feeling depressed ni, Where do you want him/her to see patent from, even publications do you have any?

Please, just apply to the lower ranked schools, you might want to check Mtsu, University of South dakota, Utexas rio grande valley, Etsu, North Dakota state uni. Infact, goto that site and check the schools from 200 and below https://www.4icu.org/us/.

Good luck

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 2:05pm On Jun 06, 2020
adedayolasu:
And that's why you are not his advisor! Don't u feel that is harsh, you want him/her to be feeling depressed ni, Where do you want him/her to see patent from, even publications do you have any?

Please, just apply to the lower ranked schools, you might want to check Mtsu, University of South dakota, Utexas rio grande valley, Etsu, North Dakota state uni. Infact, goto that site and check the schools from 200 and belonging https://www.4icu.org/us/.

Good luck

Mr. Motivational Speaker, please don’t make yourself look foolish. The candidate simply asked about his chances given the lousy stats, and I gave my own opinion. You should have just given yours without wailing over my mention.

Generally, I don’t dignify argument-seeking asses with a response, but I’m replying just for the sake of those who want a honest view. I don’t want you to project your delusion unto others and give them false hopes.

This is not about me so don’t bother asking about my credentials. Furthermore, it is better for people to know what they are against instead of meeting a lot of heartbreaks in the future. People vilify those who speak bitter truths today and it’s a shame.

This is not Master’s! A PhD in Engineering is not a child’s play even in Nigeria, so applying to lower ranking schools in the U.S. doesn’t make it an easy proposition. Can you bet your one month salary on him getting admitted to one of those lower ranked schools purely on his academic records? If he can barely pass the GRE, how can he demonstrate that he would be prepared to pass the qualifying exams necessary to progress in a PhD program? Again, if I was an advisor, his chances of getting on my research group would be very thin.

If the poster had heard that there’s “free funding” for PhD and wanted to use that to migrate, he should better think twice because there are other ways to make it to the U.S. However, if he really wants to pursue a PhD, he would need to proof beyond reasonable doubts that he’s competent. So far, he has not demonstrated that competency. Just take a look at the poster’s grammar. Sounds like someone is joking to me!

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by favouredtk: 11:01pm On Jun 06, 2020
quitereal6:

Greetings sir.

Does this mean that I have to begin my applications to the schools first, before taking the GRE exam?

I am asking this because I want to take the GRE exam first(maybe late this year or early next year), and then apply to the schools at a much later time (late next year).

You don't have to start the applications before writing the GRE, but it will save cost to know at least 4 schools that you intend to apply to. On your exam day, you can send your scores to those four schools for free. It doesn't matter if you haven't applied to the schools, they can have your scores ahead and it will be available to them when you eventually apply. Sending scores after the test day attracts a fee of $27 per recipient.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 12:05am On Jun 07, 2020
quitereal6:

Greetings sir.

You should take the exam first. You would need the GRE to apply.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sammiel: 5:12am On Jun 07, 2020
How do I get a bank statement in dollars that I can present to my school for the issuance of form I-20? I have no clue how to go about this. Kindly help me with your suggestions.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by quitereal6: 5:03pm On Jun 07, 2020
favouredtk:

You don't have to start the applications before writing the GRE, but it will save cost to know at least 4 schools that you intend to apply to. On your exam day, you can send your scores to those four schools for free. It doesn't matter if you haven't applied to the schools, they can have your scores ahead and it will be available to them when you eventually apply. Sending scores after the test day attracts a fee of $27 per recipient.
Thank you very much!
Much appreciated.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by quitereal6: 5:03pm On Jun 07, 2020
DanjaNinja:

You should take the exam first. You would need the GRE to apply.
Noted! Thank you sir.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 6:31pm On Jun 07, 2020
Sammiel:
How do I get a bank statement in dollars that I can present to my school for the issuance of form I-20? I have no clue how to go about this. Kindly help me with your suggestions.
From my experience, I used the statement of account from a Naira account (But you could confirm from your school's bursary). If the account isn't yours and an affidavit of sponsorship is needed, you can state the amount in Naira on the affidavit alongside the USD equivalent.

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sammiel: 6:35pm On Jun 07, 2020
Sherlock5577:

From my experience, I used the statement of account from a Naira account (But you could confirm from your school's bursary). If the account isn't yours and an affidavit of sponsorship is needed, you can stipulated the amount in Naira in the affidavit alongside the USD equivalent.
Wow.... Thanks for this reply.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by SOPWriter: 12:54pm On Jun 10, 2020
Sammiel:
You can easily walk into your bank. They'll print it out for you if you operate a USD account. However, if you don't, schools will definitely accept SOA in your local currency. Having the USD equivalent is all that matters.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jack000white01: 12:06pm On Jun 12, 2020
Mechanical Engineering deals with the study of mechanical devices and heat transfers. Many students find this subject difficult which gives rise the demand for [https://allassignmentexperts.com/mechanical-assignment-help]Mechanical Engineering Assignment Help[/url] When the students become so much worried they fail to complete the assignments before the deadlines. We area team of highly experienced and qualified Mechanical Engineers who have the ability to help the students in Mechanical Engineering assignments. We are the leading mechanical assessments provider which gives maximum satisfaction to the students. Our Mechanical Experts can guarantee you with fast and accurate mechanical solutions that can help to manage any Mechanical engineering problems.

https://allassignmentexperts.com/mechanical-assignment-help
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by 1b8m: 8:47am On Jun 13, 2020
Good morning house. I find it difficult taking the powerprep II test. I try to launch the test by clicking on the continue button but it doesnt bulge. Is there something I'm not doing right?

(1) (2) (3) ... (550) (551) (552) (553) (554) (555) (556) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.