Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,616 members, 7,809,259 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:55 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (65) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1347954 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by adelawry(m): 9:20pm On Feb 07, 2016
masquellett:
Hello everyone.
Been practising like no tomorow! But the verbal aspect has always been my problem. I always score low. No matter ow hard I practice. Am getting scared already sef and am writing my exam Nxt week. Please. Who can suggest a better approach. Perhaps myabe my methods of studyin for verbal is not it. Plssss I. Need hellpppppp!!!
Cc: Stolid. Sirdiddy. Femi. Et all gurus.
Pls. Biko

My brother, your case is not too different from most test takers. If you ask me, most test takers had similar challenge...You just have to try and to keep improving...Dont get too discourage when you don't do well in your practice, spend quality time to do the correction and discover the tricks. This will help you alot...If you ask me, I think most people have the propensity to perform better in the comprehension section...try not to attempt it late into the test cos you are likely to be disorganized when you see a long passage and you have few minutes to read, comprehend and answer some sets of questions. It is best you start with the passage sections and you are likely to perform better there if you study the tricks in there. I'm speaking from experience. Some peeps might have better approach but then it works for me. Not like I get a super high score in my practice but it worked better for me.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:34pm On Feb 07, 2016
masquellett:
Hello everyone.
Been practising like no tomorow! But the verbal aspect has always been my problem. I always score low. No matter ow hard I practice. Am getting scared already sef and am writing my exam Nxt week. Please. Who can suggest a better approach. Perhaps myabe my methods of studyin for verbal is not it. Plssss I. Need hellpppppp!!!
Pls. Biko

I think it depends on the individual. For me, for the TC & SC, I read the questions first and try to fill in the answers in my own words. Then I scroll through the options & choose an answer nearest in meaning to my premeditated word/answer. I literally anticipate the answers while reading the questions.

For the comprehension, depending on the type of question, I could either search for lead words and try to discern my answer from the comprehension passage, or try to read the whole text if the question requires my understanding of the nuances in the passage.

It takes practice honestly. Fortissmo and Essayhelp should be able to give some tips.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by yorex2011: 9:34pm On Feb 07, 2016
masquellett:
Hello everyone.
Pls. Biko

Get magoosh instructional videos, i tjink gruber is good for verbal too... Have you learnt at least one quartee of GRE word list, if you have this will be a major plus for you...
Your exam is next week and you are scared..
Well... I've said what i can sha...
I will try to upload those verbal videos to my dropbox tomorrow.. Will post a like to it here
I've really learnt quite a handful from them and i got the vids just yesterday..

Their flashcard app on playstore is excellent for vocabulary building too... Has about 1000 of GRe most frequent words I've already mastered about 150 and i saw quite a number of them in some practice questions i did...

Its all bout knowing the right strategy...

And knowing yourself also...

They advise between 5-25 new words a day... I do 50 but with a more strict regimen for recollection and it hasnt failed me so far

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Latty88(f): 11:25pm On Feb 07, 2016
cutemorgan:

After selecting your test centre and date, as shown in picture 2 (same with what you have, right??), click on the test time displayed (10:00am, the blue font), it should redirect you to picture 3, where you can select yes, complete the necessary info and proceed with your payment.

Thanks soooo much! It worked. But is the billing info the school am sending the result to? I want to know before paying
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cutemorgan(m): 12:41am On Feb 08, 2016
Latty88:

Thanks soooo much! It worked. But is the billing info the school am sending the result to? I want to know before paying
The billing info should be that of the card you're paying with i.e. the contact/address details of the account number as registered in the bank.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by masquellett(m): 8:39am On Feb 08, 2016
yorex2011:

Get magoosh instructional videos, i tjink gruber is good for verbal too... Have you learnt at least one quartee of GRE word list, if you have this will be a major plus for you...
Your exam is next week and you are scared..
Well... I've said what i can sha...
I will try to upload those verbal videos to my dropbox tomorrow.. Will post a like to it here
I've really learnt quite a handful from them and i got the vids just yesterday..

Their flashcard app on playstore is excellent for vocabulary building too... Has about 1000 of GRe most frequent words I've already mastered about 150 and i saw quite a number of them in some practice questions i did...

Its all bout knowing the right strategy...

And knowing yourself also...

They advise between 5-25 new words a day... I do 50 but with a more strict regimen for recollection and it hasnt failed me so far
Thanx bro. Yea I learn new words everyday. I won't miind the videos to brush myself up. I won't stop practising. Oshee bro
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by masquellett(m): 8:40am On Feb 08, 2016
stolid:

I think it depends on the individual. For me, for the TC & SC, I read the questions first and try to fill in the answers in my own words. Then I scroll through the options & choose an answer nearest in meaning to my premeditated word/answer. I literally anticipate the answers while reading the questions.

For the comprehension, depending on the type of question, I could either search for lead words and try to discern my answer from the comprehension passage, or try to read the whole text if the question requires my understanding of the nuances in the passage.

It takes practice honestly. Fortissmo and Essayhelp should be able to give some tips.
Thanx brova. I wil just hv to keep practising and learning new vocabs.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by masquellett(m): 8:42am On Feb 08, 2016
adelawry:

My brother, your case is not too different from most test takers. If you ask me, most test takers had similar challenge...You just have to try and to keep improving...Dont get too discourage when you don't do well in your practice, spend quality time to do the correction and discover the tricks. This will help you alot...If you ask me, I think most people have the propensity to perform better in the comprehension section...try not to attempt it late into the test cos you are likely to be disorganized when you see a long passage and you have few minutes to read, comprehend and answer some sets of questions. It is best you start with the passage sections and you are likely to perform better there if you study the tricks in there. I'm speaking from experience. Some peeps might have better approach but then it works for me. Not like I get a super high score in my practice but it worked better for me.
Thanx bro. I will try my best and keep practising.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by yorex2011: 10:54am On Feb 08, 2016
masquellett:

Thanx bro. Yea I learn new words everyday. I won't miind the videos to brush myself up. I won't stop practising. Oshee bro

Videos shud be up in the next 30mins
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by motifoluwasolami: 2:38pm On Feb 08, 2016
femi321:
yes I noticed that on grad cafe, I do go to Ms in US FB at times though...expecting from OSU, West virginia Uni in Morgantown, LSU, Uni of Maryland, Uni of Utah and UNCC. You?
finally someone that also applied to west Virginia uni, I just submitted my application on the 29th. when did you apply, we will definitely receive good news
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:54pm On Feb 08, 2016
motifoluwasolami:

finally someone that also applied to west Virginia uni, I just submitted my application on the 29th. when did you apply, we will definitely receive good news
Since Nov 15, 2015. what course are planning to go for?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by motifoluwasolami: 3:15pm On Feb 08, 2016
femi321:
Since Nov 15, 2015. what course are planning to go for?
mechanical engineering, I think they roll out admit in February, what is your status on the portal
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 4:07pm On Feb 08, 2016
motifoluwasolami:
mechanical engineering, I think they roll out admit in February, what is your status on the portal
Yes I heard lastest mid March..status says 'Application in Department'
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by motifoluwasolami: 4:37pm On Feb 08, 2016
[quote author=femi321 post=42735704]Yes I heard lastest mid March..status says 'Application in Department'[/
what course did you apply for and where can I check my status. all I see is dashboard, messages, technical support, logout
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 6:31pm On Feb 08, 2016
[quote author=motifoluwasolami post=42736515][/quote]I applied for Civil Engineering (Structural Engineering concentration)..on your dash board you should see the status of your app as indicated in the image below. If you don't see it, it means your app is not complete or because it has not been attended to due to the fact that you just submitted. Contact them to make sure they have received your TOEFL, GRE and Transcript. It took a while for them to receive my transcript due to NIPOST stories that touch the heart. I had to send another using DHL.

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by masquellett(m): 8:12pm On Feb 08, 2016
yorex2011:

Videos shud be up in the next 30mins

Link to folder
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hunqawi9ytf1jxz/AADz5uAOrN9wF0Lb3DZx-w9Ma?dl=0
Thanx brova mi. Awaiting the videos. I think am getting better already
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by yorex2011: 8:14pm On Feb 08, 2016
masquellett:

Thanx brova mi. Awaiting the videos. I think am getting better already

Check the link
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Kapitain(m): 10:34pm On Feb 08, 2016
masquellett:
Hello everyone.
Pls. Biko

Learn strategies... There are compulsory strategies to know if yu want to answer most verbal qs. My favorite is "filling in the Gap(s) with my own word before looking at the options... Another is pairing the options and eliminating non matching pairs to ur choice word...

Go through magoosh strategies. Google YouTube for" gre verbal strategies". No fear, continue ur prep in confidence.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by doziej84: 1:09am On Feb 09, 2016
@SirRiddy, can i speak with you in private?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by masquellett(m): 5:56am On Feb 10, 2016
Kapitain:

Learn strategies... There are compulsory strategies to know if yu want to answer most verbal qs. My favorite is "filling in the Gap(s) with my own word before looking at the options... Another is pairing the options and eliminating non matching pairs to ur choice word...

Go through magoosh strategies. Google YouTube for" gre verbal strategies". No fear, continue ur prep in confidence.
OK brro. Thanx for the encouragement. God bless you

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by masquellett(m): 5:59am On Feb 10, 2016
Quick one house, please who can suggest a uni that I can still apply to for fall 2016 admission that requires only GRE and not toefl + gre as admission criteria. It might not even be one of the top schools. Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Latty88(f): 8:39am On Feb 10, 2016
cutemorgan:

The billing info should be that of the card you're paying with i.e. the contact/address details of the account number as registered in the bank.

Hello! Am having difficulty paying. I dont have a visa card and the paypal option is confusing as I dont have a paypal account. How did you pay for yours?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by chrisley024(m): 10:01am On Feb 10, 2016
oluphy:
your GPA is good, some schools use your last two sessions only.
You can use this link to have an idea
http://www.wes.org/students/igpacalc.asp
Pls, is the result from the free evaluation equivalent to the paid? A friend said he got 3.02/4 from 3.2/5. I'm really surprised!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by chrisley024(m): 10:03am On Feb 10, 2016
Latty88:

Hello! Am having difficulty paying. I dont have a visa card and the paypal option is confusing as I dont have a paypal account. How did you pay for yours?
you may contact myexamplanetdotcom. Check their site, they're reliable.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cutemorgan(m): 11:42am On Feb 10, 2016
Latty88:

I registered for my GRE in 2014, (did that via a gre agent though) that was before i became a frequent user of this platform. I presently perform transactions on mygre acct via paypal. Opening a paypal acct is quite easy. Visit www.paypal.com, supply the information required which include your account details, a dollar or 2 dollars equivalent is deducted from your acct(this will be reverted after verification of your acct). Wait for a day or two for your acct to be verified and you are good to go.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 5:35pm On Feb 10, 2016
pennstate:

Depends on what is stated in the department/grad Sch admission requirement. If they say prospective student could be admitted to phd with with BS then you could give it a try. But remember you have to have a very strong credentials ( SOP, LOR, GPA, GRE). You can dust up your BS thesis and maybe write a paper out of it and publish in one of the local journals. Or you may want to write something new just to bolster your application. Writing paper is fun.
Thank you bro. May I get to chat with you privately?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:22pm On Feb 11, 2016
Just got my decision from Auburn. BIG FAT REJECT lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
70 dollars just waste.
Funny enough, University of Kansas is ranked higher and they accepted me.
Chronicles of Admission...

The Committee on Graduate Study in Computer Science and Software Engineering, MS (Thesis) has contacted the Graduate School concerning your application for admission. I regret to inform you that the Committee did not recommend your admission. Applications for admission are evaluated on a number of bases, including departmental resources, standardized test scores, grade point averages, letters of recommendation, statements of purpose, and other means. Admission is therefore competitive and the program did not feel it had adequate resources to support you in your pursuit of a graduate education.

The Committee requested that I convey to you its appreciation for your interest in the Computer Science and Software Engineering, MS (Thesis) program at Auburn University. Although you were not admitted to this graduate program at Auburn at this time, I wish you much success in your academic endeavors.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by fizzile(m): 1:21pm On Feb 11, 2016
sirRiddy:
Just got my decision from Auburn. BIG FAT REJECT lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
70 dollars just waste.
Funny enough, University of Kansas is ranked higher and they accepted me.
Chronicles of Admission...

The Committee on Graduate Study in Computer Science and Software Engineering, MS (Thesis) has contacted the Graduate School concerning your application for admission. I regret to inform you that the Committee did not recommend your admission. Applications for admission are evaluated on a number of bases, including departmental resources, standardized test scores, grade point averages, letters of recommendation, statements of purpose, and other means. Admission is therefore competitive and the program did not feel it had adequate resources to support you in your pursuit of a graduate education.

The Committee requested that I convey to you its appreciation for your interest in the Computer Science and Software Engineering, MS (Thesis) program at Auburn University. Although you were not admitted to this graduate program at Auburn at this time, I wish you much success in your academic endeavors.
Oga wetin even carry u go dat kind school? Even deir name dey like fire. Burn burn!!. They don chop dat money come dey speak plenty english. Abeg mk dem go. Others go rush you.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 1:32pm On Feb 11, 2016
Lol. Auburn is a very good school and they have quite a decent Computer Science program.
I don already decide on my destination. Just that the decision was really surprising.
3/4 GPA? Check (3.28)
300 GRE? Check (316)
79 TOEFL? Check (107)
Good LORs
Good SOP
Good internships.
In all, it is still a very good school. Admission process can be enigmatic and this should be a lesson to us all.
Try to apply to as many as you can and spread your risks especially if your profile get K-leg like my own.
I am just happy I listened to the great guys I met here when I started the whole process. Good luck people.
fizzile:
Oga wetin even carry u go dat kind school? Even deir name dey like fire. Burn burn!!. They don chop dat money come dey speak plenty english. Abeg mk dem go. Others go rush you.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:04pm On Feb 11, 2016
sirRiddy:
Just got my decision from Auburn. BIG FAT REJECT lipsrsealed.
[/b]
Na wa o..All these schools sef..Thank God you have gotten a far better offer.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:30pm On Feb 11, 2016
Abi...But reject dey pain o. grin grin
I know people with lesser profile that got into the program just this past spring.
Thanks bro. Wish you the best with your decisions.
femi321:
Na wa o..All these schools sef..Thank God you have gotten a far better offer.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by fizzile(m): 2:38pm On Feb 11, 2016
sirRiddy:
Lol. Auburn is a very good school and they have quite a decent Computer Science program.
I don already decide on my destination. Just that the decision was really surprising.
3/4 GPA? Check (3.28)
300 GRE Check (316)
Good LORs
Good SOP
Good internships.
In all, it is still a very good school. Admission process can be enigmatic and this should be a lesson to us all.
Try to apply to as many as you can and spread your risks especially if your profile get K-leg like my own.
I am just happy I listened to the great guys I met here when I started the whole process. Good luck people.
But what could be their issue? Is it that they have a stipulated number they accept every year or what? Cos ur scores are on point. Omor this things need better prayer incase na from one village ooooo. Holy Ghost!!!!! Fire!!!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.