Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,488 members, 7,819,766 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:48 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (66) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1353776 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:40pm On Feb 11, 2016
sirRiddy:
Abi...But reject dey pain o. grin grin
I know people with lesser profile that got into the program just this past spring.
Thanks bro. Wish you the best with your decisions.
lol..Thanks bro
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:41pm On Feb 11, 2016
grin grin cry
I have seen crazy scenarios when friends applied especially
those who went last Fall. I guess this is another one. Wish you luck with yours, bro.
fizzile:
But what could be their issue? Is it that they have a stipulated number they accept every year or what? Cos ur scores are on point. Omor this things need better prayer incase na from one village ooooo. Holy Ghost!!!!! Fire!!!!!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 6:49pm On Feb 11, 2016
sirRiddy:
Lol. Auburn is a very good school and they have quite a decent Computer Science program.
I don already decide on my destination. Just that the decision was really surprising.
3/4 GPA? Check (3.28)
300 GRE? Check (316)
79 TOEFL? Check (107)
Good LORs
Good SOP
Good internships.
In all, it is still a very good school. Admission process can be enigmatic and this should be a lesson to us all.
Try to apply to as many as you can and spread your risks especially if your profile get K-leg like my own.
I am just happy I listened to the great guys I met here when I started the whole process. Good luck people.

Hi there my dearest Sirriddy!!!! I will play Devil's advocate...... In life, u win some, u lose some. You can't get it all. It is not ideal. You getting rejected has given another person a chance to attend that school this year. A person that would have been rejected if you were accepted....and at the end of the day, you would still not accept that offer! Then, it won't be fair at all.

You have a better offer!!!!! Be happy!!!!! There are so many people praying to be in your situation, including me!!! wink

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:18pm On Feb 11, 2016
Thanks fablady smiley
I am very grateful.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by godG: 7:01pm On Feb 12, 2016
Fablady:

Hi there my dearest Sirriddy!!!! I will play Devil's advocate...... In life, u win some, u lose some. You can't get it all. It is not ideal. You getting rejected has given another person a chance to attend that school this year. A person that would have been rejected if you were accepted....and at the end of the day, you would still not accept that offer! Then, it won't be fair at all.

You have a better offer!!!!! Be happy!!!!! There are so many people praying to be in your situation, including me!!! wink

Good luck with that. grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 8:30pm On Feb 12, 2016
godG:

Good luck with that. grin
Thank you! grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:33pm On Feb 12, 2016
DanjaNinja, SirRiddy, Stolid, Pennstate, Paulbet, et al.,
I want to seek advice from you all, please help a confused soul. I just concluded my BS (OAU) with a GPA > 3.7/4. I intend to take GRE this year, and I am trusting God and this wonderful thread. I have few questions to ask you all:
1. Can i apply for Phd directly in the US? if yes, what are the things with which I should arm myself?
2. I need a full scholarship for I am weak financially, should i concentrate solely on USA?
3. What other countries would you suggest i try?
I wanna major in Biotechnology.
Thanks as always
Best regards
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:02pm On Feb 12, 2016
Jumybecks:
I want to seek advice from you all, please help a confused soul. I just concluded my BS (OAU) with a GPA > 3.7/4. I intend to take GRE this year, and I am trusting God and this wonderful thread. I have few questions to ask you all:
1. Can i apply for Phd directly in the US? if yes, what are the things with which I should arm myself?
2. I need a full scholarship for I am weak financially, should i concentrate solely on USA?
Thanks as always
Best regards

1. Yes, you can apply for a PhD directly. It's even more advisable given your need for funding. You have a good GPA already. What you'll be needing now are good standardized test (GRE & TOEFL) scores, statement of purpose, resume, and letters of recommendation.

2. You could diversify your applications if you have the financial capability to. Asides the US, you could also look at schools in Canada and some of the gulf countries (if you don't have a reservation for Islam, and down with those stringent laws of theirs.) They offer good scholarships.

3. Asides US, Canada, Saudi Arabia & Abu-Dhabi aren't bad as well.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 8:47am On Feb 13, 2016
Thank you so much bro.
I have been searching for schools in the US that offer full scholarship in my major, but I was filled with lassitude at a point.
Na person wey get money go do shakara oooo I go too check Saudi Arabia, and Canada.
God bless!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 8:49am On Feb 13, 2016
stolid:

1. Yes, you can apply for a PhD directly. It's even more advisable given your need for funding. You have a good GPA already. What you'll be needing now are good standardized test (GRE & TOEFL) scores, statement of purpose, resume, and letters of recommendation.

2. You could diversify your applications if you have the financial capability to. Asides the US, you could also look at schools in Canada and some of the gulf countries (if you don't have a reservation for Islam, and down with those stringent laws of theirs.) They offer good scholarships.

stolid:

Thank you so much bro.
I have been searching for schools in the US that offer full scholarship in my major, but I was filled with lassitude at a point.
Na person wey get money go do shakara oooo I go too check Saudi Arabia, and Canada.
God bless!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pennstate(m): 7:45pm On Feb 13, 2016
MS Student Position to study temporary Wetland Ecology/Evolutionat the University of AkronMS STUDENT POSITION with TA support atthe University of Akron for student to study ecology/evolution of organisms in temporary wetlands with Dr. Stephen Weeks and Dr. Randy Mitchell. TA accompanied with $14,550 nine month stipend and full tuition remission. Applications and further information are available athttp://www.uakron.edu/biology/academics/ms-program/index.dotMaster's degree in biology : The Universityof Akron<http://www.uakron.edu/biology/academics/ms-program/index.dot>www.uakron.eduDEPARTMENT OF BIOLOGY Master's of biology. The Biology Department Program at the University of Akron invites applications for Master's program in Biology, and PhD ...The University of Akron is a state university located in the heart of Akron, Ohio, next to the scenic Cuyahoga Valley National Park (CVNP). The Biology Department emphasizes collaborative andintegrative research, including a PhD program in Integrated Bioscience. Facilities include a live animal research center, 400 acre field station, and greenhouse. We have excellent relations with the CVNP and local metroparks, whichprovide access to over 40,000 acres of potential field sites within 40 miles. Our graduate students have been successful in finding employment in their specialties, including work as professors, consultants,field technicians, government agents (e.g.,EPA, department of natural resources), park naturalists, and many others.The Department has a strong program in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology. Areas ofinterest for graduate research include: lifehistory evolution, mating systems, aquatic ecology, pollination biology, wetland ecology, conservation biology, physiological ecology, isotope ecology, behavioral evolution, spider biology, and evolutionary biomechanics.Akron is a great place to live, with a high quality of life. There are abundant natural amenities, including nearby metroparks and the CVNP, and ready access to many diverse cultural events in Akron and nearby Cleveland, including sports, severalsymphony orchestras, excellent museums,and the Blossom outdoor auditorium.For more information, contact Steve Weeks (scw@uakron.edu) and Randy Mitchell (rjm2@uakron.edu)
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:59pm On Feb 13, 2016
Hello house, Guess the weekend is going on fine..This is to sirriddy (I could have call or whatsapp you privately but i feel someone might need this too now or in future) and all the experienced guys here. I just checked one of my applications now and saw on the application portal that i have been recommended for admission by the department to the Grad school since 2nd of February 2016, but i have not received an email to that effect. I am like should i contact the Graduate Coordinator or i should just chill and wait for official email? I need to start bombarding that Grad Coordination emails about Funding because no time.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by charlycharly: 5:40am On Feb 14, 2016
DanjaNinja:

Ha!...My bad, i 4got to mention copying the title by hand na long thing o!
I simply copied from the webpage (CTRL+C) and pasted into Microsoft word. It took me a few hours - less than 3 hours to sort it all. I would have sent you my copy but my hard disk drive crashed.

Secondly, As you copy and paste, you'll discover that there are basically 10-15 topic themes. Therefore,you don't have to draw up responses to every essay topic. Your job is to identify the 10-15 themes and create possible responses to those.

For example, you will find the following topics on the GRE topic pool:

"Universities should require every student to take a variety of courses outside the student's field of study."

Educational institutions should actively encourage their students to choose fields of study that will prepare them for lucrative careers.

Some people believe that college students should consider only their own talents and interests when choosing a field of study. Others believe that college students should base their choice of a field of study on the availability of jobs in that field

College students should base their choice of a field of study on the availability of jobs in that field.

A nation should require all of its students to study the same national curriculum until they enter college.

A nation should require all of its students to study the same national curriculum until they enter college.

A keen observer would discover that the first four topics are the same topics written in different wordings. While the last three are just plain repetitions. Its that simple.

Additionally, the essay topic are selected "WORD FOR WORD" from the essay topic pool as listed from the GRE website. Whoever told you that the test question is not from that list, simply lied to you.

Additionally, my initial post on this thread was just a recommendation based on my personal experience. You don't have to follow my instructions by the letter. Figure out what works for you and work with that.

Pls who has been able to do this? DanjaNinja when I attempted Grouping all 200 topics I got 25+ groups. This is already large. Pls can you assist? I am grateful for this insight in the first instance. Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 11:35am On Feb 14, 2016
The grad coordinator would tell you that you will be considered for all the available funding. Just normal robot reply. You may try though.
However, the professors who do stuffs you are interested in should be those you should mail. Especially the ones mentioned in your SOP. Good luck Femi.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dicapino: 12:03pm On Feb 14, 2016
charlycharly:

Pls who has been able to do this? DanjaNinja when I attempted Grouping all 200 topics I got 25+ groups. This is already large. Pls can you assist? I am grateful for this insight in the first instance. Thanks

There are sites... online where GRE questions have bin grouped. Just use Google it.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 1:12pm On Feb 14, 2016
Hi guys. For those who sent pm's, I will respond to them as soon as I have access to my email. Thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by masquellett(m): 1:14pm On Feb 14, 2016
Please house. I do I get to jjk building from sango? Thanks in anticipation.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by oluphy: 3:20pm On Feb 14, 2016
femi321:
Hello house, Guess the weekend is going on fine..This is to sirriddy (I could have call or whatsapp you privately but i feel someone might need this too now or in future) and all the experienced guys here. I just checked one of my applications now and saw on the application portal that i have been recommended for admission by the department to the Grad school since 2nd of February 2016, but i have not received an email to that effect. I am like should i contact the Graduate Coordinator or i should just chill and wait for official email? I need to start bombarding that Grad Coordination emails about Funding because no time.
Good luck bro! Nice1. Mail the grad coord.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by oluphy: 3:22pm On Feb 14, 2016
masquellett:
Please house. I do I get to jjk building from sango? Thanks in anticipation.
take a bik from oshodi..... or go thru ikorodu rd... its before obanikoro (around town planning busstop)
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 3:23pm On Feb 14, 2016
sirRiddy:
Hi guys. For those who sent pm's, I will respond to them as soon as I have access to my email. Thanks.
Patiently waiting sir. Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by oluphy: 3:24pm On Feb 14, 2016
Jumybecks:
Thanks as always
Best regards

apply for PhD. Good GPA. Finished from oau last year also

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 4:13pm On Feb 14, 2016
sirRiddy:
The grad coordinator would tell you that you will be considered for all the avaiOP. Good luck Femi.
Okay. Noted, thank you bruv
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 4:14pm On Feb 14, 2016
oluphy:
Good luck bro! Nice1. Mail the grad coord.
okay. thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by masquellett(m): 5:10pm On Feb 14, 2016
oluphy:
take a bik from oshodi..... or go thru ikorodu rd... its before obanikoro (around town planning busstop)
Thanx bro
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:53pm On Feb 14, 2016
oluphy:
apply for PhD. Good GPA. Finished from oau last year also
Thanks. I would love to get to chat with you.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:57am On Feb 15, 2016
charlycharly:

I have prepared one on excel spreadsheet using topics from the most recent pool of essays.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by charlycharly: 12:04pm On Feb 15, 2016
ProfTPE:

I have prepared one on excel spreadsheet using topics from the most recent pool of essays.

Please send it to me. I have also stumbled on an arranged theme for a the essay topics. I will send you mine as well.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by layez: 9:31pm On Feb 15, 2016
Jumybecks:
Thanks. I would love to get to chat with you.
Sent u a PM...
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:27pm On Feb 15, 2016
ProfTPE:

Pls share. Thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:37am On Feb 16, 2016
[quote author=Fablady post=42956791]
Pls share. Thanks.[/quote
What's your email address?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by charlycharly: 11:45am On Feb 16, 2016
Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:10pm On Feb 16, 2016
[quote author=ProfTPE post=42959292][/quote]

uty_teddy@yahoo.com

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.