Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,949 members, 7,824,977 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 10:23 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (79) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1356344 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Lamexx(m): 11:40am On Apr 26, 2016
Donpeak:
Please, i need to know if i haven't made a mistake, i was offered admission and i accepted it, even though funding package was not mentioned but i know the school has funding. In the first admission offer i got, it was stated in their mail that funding is not available at the moment.
Please Danjaninja, Sirriddy, Decapino, etc am i still on track or i should have discussed funding with d graduate coordinator b4 accepting d offer?

I think your best option is to contact the graduate coordinator. I am also in the same shoe like you. I got admitted without funding. I sent mails to faculty doing research but no one has yet to reply my mail. I also sent a mail to the graduate coordinator and he told me point blank "funding is not available, good luck in your search". Those were his direct words so I see myself paying for the first semester. I contacted other Nigerians in the department I got admitted too and I was told that funding is extremely difficult to get in Fall semester for that department if not impossible. I was given the assurance that by Spring semester, I will get either an assistantship or tuition rebate. Assistantship is something you get based on good grades in the previous Fall semester. Even if i don't get from my department, if I network properly, I could get in another department in Spring semester.

As an advice for those preparing for GRE and hoping to apply, start looking out for funding opportunities for your program. Don't assume all schools give funding along with admission. Most external funding deadline is by September to December 1st of the previous year. So if you are looking to get admitted for Fall 2017, then you should be prepared to apply for external scholarship and funding by December this year.

5 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 12:11pm On Apr 26, 2016
Thanks lamexx , so can anyone help with safe schools for marine resource assessment/marine reasons management /biological oceanography.... Bless up!!!, I'm also surfing the Web, but your suggestions would be highly appreciated
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Lamexx(m): 2:15pm On Apr 26, 2016
ponpon:
Thanks lamexx , so can anyone help with safe schools for marine resource assessment/marine reasons management /biological oceanography.... Bless up!!!, I'm also surfing the Web, but your suggestions would be highly appreciated

If you want to search for any course in any school, your first point should be www.petersons.com. Type the key term in the search bar and click send. Check out:
https://www.petersons.com/search/schools?searchType=26&searchTerm=Marine%20resources

When I mean safe school, I am looking at "Acceptance rate". Any school with 50% and above acceptance rate is a safe school. Check out the following and continue checking from there. Come up with you list of schools based on Acceptance rate, Funding available, Tuition Fees, Financial support and Average GRE scores accepted.

https://www.petersons.com/graduate-schools/texas-a-and-m-university-at-galveston-department-of-marine-sciences-000_10018202.aspx

https://www.petersons.com/graduate-schools/university-of-massachusetts-dartmouth-school-of-marine-science-and-technology-000_10015363.aspx

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Lamexx(m): 2:47pm On Apr 26, 2016
ponpon:
Dicapino thanks a lot, meaning I'll stick to 5lb Manhattan, since most high scoring individuals have testimonies about it..

And my use of Gre vocabulary has increased, I used Kaplan grouped words towards the end of the book, sought for their meanings and Gre synonyms.

Word power made easy is bae, you just get happy as words unmask it's meaning to you during text completion and sentence equivalence...

Am way addicted to nairaland.com, and I actually spend more time on here than reading. Lmao... I just wish there could be timely GRE articles posted here that could at least benefit the mind, reading skills and vocabulary, new yorker and the rest I exhaust my free usage too early

Good books really but lemme burst your bubble a little bit. Even though 5lb Manhattan is excellent for Quantitative and Barron may be great for Verbal, if you keep reading these books without continuous and consistent practice your score will not improve much. What those high scoring individual did not tell you is the number of practice hours per week spent on the GRE. There is no almighty formular for this GRE, but what is important is that you PRACTICE! PRACTICE!! PRACTICE!!!. Keep practicing "timed GRE" question atleast thrice a week. You need to train your brain to remain focused for three hours under exam condition.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:52pm On Apr 26, 2016
Lamexx and people doing school search, be careful with those acceptance rate because they are only relevant for undergraduate admissions. Your best bet for knowing how difficult it would be to get into a school is the rankings. Usnews have a reputable ranking. Also check msinus.com and gradcafe too.

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Denvan: 3:25pm On Apr 26, 2016
ponpon:
Those who have written the Gre, is it compulsory I pick 4 schools on the day of the exam for my scores to be sent or I can do that at my own convenient time, because I want to base my applications on my Gre score?.
Hi...You don't lose anything sending your scores on test day. You aint bound to apply or study in those schools sef. It just save you the cost ($108 to send that same scores to 4 different schools after the test day -$27 per school). So research some schools b4 test day-from average to top schools- mayb 2 "safe" schools and 2 "dangerous" schools.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dicapino: 3:35pm On Apr 26, 2016
Lamexx:

Good books really but lemme burst your bubble a little bit. Even though 5lb Manhattan is excellent for Quantitative and Barron may be great for Verbal, if you keep reading these books without continuous and consistent practice your score will not improve much. What those high scoring individual did not tell you is the number of practice hours per week spent on the GRE. There is no almighty formular for this GRE, but what is important is that you PRACTICE! PRACTICE!! PRACTICE!!!. Keep practicing "timed GRE" question atleast thrice a week. You need to train your brain to remain focused for three hours under exam condition.

Yeah. You got a point. Practice test are very important.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 6:05pm On Apr 26, 2016
Dekins88:
I think the best study material on GRE Mathematics subject test is 'Cracking the GRE Mathematics Subject Test by Steven A. Ledus.'

It covers almost all the aspects which the test is being tested on.
But since you're not coming from a Mathematics background, you need to get some additional materials for your preparation.

The GRE Mathematics Subject Test covers courses like Cal I-IV, Real Analysis, Complex Analysis, Linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra and a little bit of Topology.

Honestly, this test requires adequate preparation and from someone coming from a CSC background, you need more than three months to prepare for this exam, and preparing for this test alongside your final exams can be very disastrous.
Just as SirRiddy said, it's best to focus on your B.Sc now, then after rounding off, you'll now have the time to prepare for GRE Maths.

All the best, even though this is coming from someone in the same shoe as yours (an undergraduate).

Thank you smiley
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by nsfreeman: 7:48pm On Apr 26, 2016
Plz i will like to know if i can pay for toefl from Nigeria with my mastercard or visa card and at what rate i would be charged.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 7:55pm On Apr 26, 2016
Dicapino, sir riddy, Devon and lamexx I'm very grateful... You all are far too kind... Bless up

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by abid4akin(m): 3:25pm On Apr 28, 2016
Can someone please brief me on how to go about d payment for the GRE here in Nigeria. I'm planning to write it this June, I checked ETS for payment and it gave me options: PayPal, Visa Card.... Buh neither of this worked out.
I need a breakthrough on this pls.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 5:16pm On Apr 28, 2016
abid4akin:
Can someone please brief me on how to go about d payment for the GRE here in Nigeria. I'm planning to write it this June, I checked ETS for payment and it gave me options: PayPal, Visa Card.... Buh neither of this worked out.
I need a breakthrough on this pls.

1) open PayPal and link it to your MasterCard/ visa card.
you may need to verify the card as the case may be with the bank.
2) Do your GRE reg, when u get to the payment page, click others. It would show PayPal option.
3) Enter your PayPal details and pay.
Quite easy.
Gtb and stanbic have the lowest rate

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by abid4akin(m): 5:41pm On Apr 28, 2016
Holudarey01:

1) open PayPal and link it to your MasterCard/ visa card.
you may need to verify the card as the case may be with the bank.
2) Do your GRE reg, when u get to the payment page, click others. It would show PayPal option.
3) Enter your PayPal details and pay.
Quite easy.
Gtb and stanbic have the lowest rate

Thanks so much Darey, I really appreciate that.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by judebebo32: 3:56am On Apr 30, 2016
Thank you DanjaNinja ... I've received the GRE ebooks. Great job!

please can you mail me a copy of the books
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 11:06am On May 01, 2016
Is it wise to shift exam date?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Cephas0009: 11:13am On May 01, 2016
ponpon:
Is it wise to shift exam date?

Depends on your reasons considering it comes with extra charges, if u r convinced it's worth it, y not?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 3:22pm On May 01, 2016
Hello everyone.
How long(many years) is GRE valid? And what's the current cost of the exam?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by temi4fash(m): 10:23pm On May 01, 2016
ace19:
Hello everyone.
How long(many years) is GRE valid? And what's the current cost of the exam?

5 years and ot cost 205 dollars

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Centrix: 5:47pm On May 06, 2016
DanjaNinja:

Oga danja dey struggle for survival. Coming to america is just one step of the many hurdles you have to scale to survive. When you get here, the goal becomes - how do i survive? How do make enough to pay for my bills? How do i excel in my academics? The list goes on. When you get here, you will understand.

Where in the US are you?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 5:59pm On May 06, 2016
Centrix:

Where in the US are you?

Bridgeport, Connecticut. Anything?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Centrix: 6:04pm On May 06, 2016
DanjaNinja:

Bridgeport, Connecticut. Anything?

nah, just wonderin. Add me on fb or something and holla whenever u're in NYC.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by FUNDAMENTAL001(m): 7:19pm On May 06, 2016
Why waste time at home due to low JAMB score?

You can live up to your dream of studying abroad

Application is open to study in Parul University, Gujarat state, India via STUDY ABROAD CONCEPTZ, an education consultation agency.
In some schools in India you can pay your tuition in installment and it's cheaper studying in India...
Courses you can apply are:
Medicine and Surgery
Pharmacy
Nursing
Physiotherapy
Medical Radiography
Law
Mass communication
Business Administration
Architecture
Civil Engineering
Computer Engineering
Electrical Engineering
Electrical/Electronics Engineering etc

Call or Whatsapp: 07081709728

For further enquiries

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by BOLAUWA: 8:12pm On May 06, 2016
So I wrote my gre exam today, and it was worth d experience. I tank GOD cos I think my score wasnt so bad afterall (307). Just encouraging others not to be scared, cos if I can, then u can.

6 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pennstate(m): 8:49pm On May 06, 2016
BOLAUWA:
So I wrote my gre exam today, and it was worth d experience. I tank GOD cos I think my score wasnt so bad afterall (307). Just encouraging others not to be scared, cos if I can, then u can.

Congrat!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by johnbimbo12(m): 10:08pm On May 06, 2016
Mine was 302.
I knew I didn't prepare for it, I thank God anyway.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 11:01pm On May 06, 2016
Centrix:

nah, just wonderin. Add me on fb or something and holla whenever u're in NYC.

Oh, that would be nice. I'll be in NYC tomorrow sef...flying through LaGuardia...Inbox me your Facebook name
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 11:02pm On May 06, 2016
BOLAUWA:

Nice..please share your experience.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Kapitain(m): 11:05pm On May 06, 2016
Congrats @ bolauwa and johnbimbo, please share ur transcripts (experiences and suggestions)

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:03am On May 07, 2016
DanjaNinja:

Nice..please share your experience.
Congrat oooo
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by henmaris: 7:40am On May 07, 2016
I

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Centrix: 4:35pm On May 07, 2016
DanjaNinja:

Oh, that would be nice. I'll be in NYC tomorrow sef...flying through LaGuardia...Inbox me your Facebook name

sent
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by fizzile(m): 5:33pm On May 07, 2016
Hey guys,please I can see some centres for GRE will be having a test this month and in june. Plz apart from these months,when next do u tink one can sit for it?

(1) (2) (3) ... (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.