Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,580 members, 7,823,518 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola (46872 Views)

Curing Leukaemia With HIV: Breakthough On Treatment For Cancer? / Facial Treatment With Live Snail / Cancer Treatment With Soursop Leaf (latest Invention) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola by piagetskinner(m): 8:33pm On Aug 01, 2014
Very soon adverts will start coming up for bitter kola juice
Re: Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola by chlowi(f): 8:44pm On Aug 01, 2014
piagetskinner: Very soon adverts will start coming up for bitter kola juice

Lol
Re: Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola by Samgreguc(m): 9:09pm On Aug 01, 2014
alotofgrace:
must we even waot for the oyinbo to validate it?
if is solves it...so b it
yea, so should it be.

1 Like

Re: Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola by revelationuche: 9:12pm On Aug 01, 2014
Re: Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola by Samgreguc(m): 9:32pm On Aug 01, 2014
overhypedsteve: it is the world largest food and drug body. It surpasses that of any country
I think d reason is dat as at then NAFDAC wasn't established.

1 Like

Re: Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola by Nobody: 10:10pm On Aug 01, 2014
Hope this wouldn't die a natural death the way abalaka aids remedy died!

1 Like

Re: Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola by numberoneautos(m): 10:42pm On Aug 01, 2014
Thanks for the information pal, but to some doubting thomas out there, note that this research have been made long before Iwu became INEC chiarman.

1 Like

Re: Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola by numberoneautos(m): 10:43pm On Aug 01, 2014
numberoneautos: Thanks for the information pal, but to some doubting thomas out there, note that this research have been made long before Iwu became INEC chiarman.

1 Like

Re: Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola by mikeobk(m): 11:18pm On Aug 01, 2014
Jeezyy: End time virus
if na only your type de this world our own for don finish. You relate everything to end time & go to sleep without doin anythin about it. Think tomorrow my friend
Re: Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola by onitshaigbo(m): 1:46am On Aug 02, 2014
All you haterz have serious inferiority complex to deal with. If a whiteman says that kola nuts can cure ebola, you all would call him a genius or a hero.

SMH for Africa.

2 Likes

Re: Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola by Nobody: 2:28am On Aug 02, 2014
Y not give ds man a commendation he deserves rather than saying gibberish abt Im?am sure if na oyinbo,una go praise am and believe his research work!appreciate ur own pls.
Re: Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola by Nobody: 6:48am On Aug 02, 2014
bushdoc9919: Well,have read the article.....and the reason why it isn't a cure is simple

[size=22pt]It has not yet undergone phase 3 testing in humans, talkless of animal testing.[/size]

Before any drug can be used....itmust undergo animal testing.....which it has not undergone yet....then human testing in phases...phase 1,2 and 3.

Now the aim is to get the drug into phase 3 testing....a process which could take years.....and which is fraught with ethical issues. Explaining further....a phase 3 trial would involve comparing the drug vs placebo in a large groupofatients (half on new drug,half on fake drug) But if the drug works.....then what about all those who died ?

Also for the drug to be a cure...it must do one thing

[size=22pt]Clear Ebola from all organs and tissue and plasma in the body.[/size]

So,to cut a long story short....Prof Iwu's work is promising....but until it has undergone satisfactory animal and human testing....it isnot a cure yet.

A brief summary of how drugs are developed
Not ALL drugs must undergo animal testing. If the substance is already considered safe or already being consumed by humans e.g honey garlic etc and then lter is claimed to have medicinal properties there is really no need for animal testing. I imagine this would apply to bitter cola too
Re: Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola by Nobody: 7:13am On Aug 02, 2014
MrPresident1: What is Ebola? Is it the name of a new movie? undecided

Abi is it the latest game in town?

I keep hearing Ebola Ebola Ebola... wetin be Ebola undecided

grin
Ebola is a name of a river in Congo democratic Republic, where the first strain of this unknown illness started, and it come to be called Ebola

1 Like

Re: Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola by RichboyPee(m): 7:25am On Aug 02, 2014
Samgreguc:
meaning?
Meaning he lost his reputation as an electoral umpire. So difficult believing any news from him now
Re: Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola by Fantacy1(m): 9:29am On Aug 02, 2014
Excellent move 4rm a Nigerian Prof. 9ja no de carry last na....even if e no finally work out, itz already on the news
Re: Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola by Ibrochaka(m): 9:37am On Aug 02, 2014

grin
hmm itz a pity u dnt no wat ebola iz, wel for ur information EBOLA IZ PRESIDENT OBAMA BAPTISIMAL NAME!
Re: Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola by Nobody: 9:43am On Aug 02, 2014
iwonbaoko: Not ALL drugs must undergo animal testing. If the substance is already considered safe or already being consumed by humans e.g honey garlic etc and then lter is claimed to have medicinal properties there is really no need for animal testing. I imagine this would apply to bitter cola too

Honey and garlic do not have curative properties.....but rather nutritive value.(Honey is used in wound dressing....but this was validated after a lot of research. Garlic is good for helping to keep blood pressure down....but NOT as the sole anti-hypertensive).

As for Bitter Kolanut.....before the drug can be considered a cure....it must have been proven to clear the ebola viral particles from all tissues, organs and cells in the human body AFTER a phase 3 RCT.

Regarding Ebola....what we should be looking for is a vaccine that prevents infection( as well as a drug!). You see, viruses work by getting their genetic material integrated into individual cell's genetic materials and using the cell to produce new viruses....which then burst out of the cell to repeat the process in other cells.(Horrible isn't it?). So, any drug that clears Ebola MUST be formulated to get into the cells to stop the said integration.....and that is where the vaccine comes in.( A third alternative is genetically enginering humans to be resistant to Ebola...but that is decades away).

Right now....Kola appears to work invitro. What is needed is animal studies....then human studies. But all that will take years to come to fruition.
Re: Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola by Nobody: 9:56am On Aug 02, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Honey and garlic do not have curative properties.....but rather nutritive value.

As for Bitter Kolanut.....before the drug can be considered a cure....it must have been proven to clear the ebola viral particles from all tissues, organs and cells in the human body AFTER a phase 3 RCT.

Regarding Ebola....what we should be looking for is a vaccine that prevents infection( as well as a drug!). You see, viruses work by getting their genetic material integrated into individual cell's genetic materials and using the cell to produce new viruses....which then burst out of the cell to repeat the process in other cells.(Horrible isn't it?). So, any drug that clears Ebola MUST be formulated to get into the cells to stop the said integration.....and that is where the vaccine comes in.( A third alternative is genetically enginering humans to be resistant to Ebola...but that is decades away).

Right now....Kola appears to work invitro. What is needed is animal studies....then human studies. But all that will take years to come to fruition.
Your problem is you like to talk but do not listen.
Firstly use your terminology carefully, you have to define "curative properties"
Whether or not Honey and garlic have curative properties is debatable. I am not aware of a scientific definition of curative. Certainly drugs do not have to be CURATIVE they may only provide relief of symptoms without "curing" anything.
Even POISONS are classed as drugs!! Drugs are used for executions in some countries!!

Anaesthetic drugs generally are not "curative" in my book neither is paracetamol in many instances where it is used ditto, for sleeping tablets
Funny how you say honey is used in dressings is that not a "drug" use ? Also funny how you say it was "validated in research" without saying whether that research was in ANIMALS!

Perhaps you need to check the definition of "DRUG" again. Even water and ice can be used as drugs !!!
The issue I am responding to is "drug trial" IT IS NOT TRUE (AS YOU CLAIMED) THAT ALL DRUGS MUST UNDERGO ANIMAL TRIALS. I am not even debating any of that Ebola stuff. If bitter kola is useful it may not have to undergo animal trials because it is generally safe in humans unless it is going to be used in unusually amounts
Re: Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola by Nobody: 10:06am On Aug 02, 2014
iwonbaoko:
Your problem is you like to talk but do not listen.
Firstly use your terminology carefully Whether or not they do is debatable. Firstly you have to define "curative properties" I am not aware of a scientific definition of curative. Certainly drugs do not have to be CURATIVE they may only provide relieve of symptoms without "curing" anything. Even POISONS are classed as drugs!!
Perhaps you need to check the definition of "DRUG" again. Even water and ice can be used as drugs !!!

The issue I am responding to is "drug trial" IT IS NOT TRUE (AS YOU CLAIMED) THAT ALL DRUGS MUST UNDERGO ANIMAL TRIALS. I am not even debating any of that Ebola stuff. If bitter kola is useful it may not have to undergo animal trials because it is generally safe in humans unless it is going to be used in unusually amounts

Honey is definitely used as a "DRUG" in post operative care it has antibacterial but that is not even the point.

I heard you....you were trying to defend Kola as an Ebola cure in a roundabout way by saying that ''not all drugs undergo animal testing''. Now that may have been true in the past (snake antivenom never underwent animal testing)....but it isn't true now....and certainly would NOT be true for any potential cure for Ebola.

The problem also is that you think I am attacking African ideas. I am not....and as I told someone elsewhere....we can do all the advanced research into Ebola treatment here by funding education, and power supply adequately. (Just like the Indians do it).

Garlic is used as an aid to keep BP down...it is not a cure for hypertension. Honey has been validated in research as a good wound healing agent. They are not cures.

Neither is Kolanut....as the OP and others try to imply....a good cure for Ebola....UNTIL....it has undergone adequate invitro., animal and even Phase 1-4 testing and has been PROVEN to clear ebola viral particles(Nowadays, we can skip the animal testing....but it is still the gold standard).
Re: Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola by Nobody: 10:10am On Aug 02, 2014
bushdoc9919:

I heard you....you were trying to defend Kola as an Ebola cure in a roundabout way by saying that ''not all drugs undergo animal testing''. Now that may have been true in the past (snake antivenom never underwent animal testing)....but it isn't true now....and certainly would NOT be true for any potential cure for Ebola.

The problem also is that you think I am attacking African ideas. I am not....and as I told someone elsewhere....we can do all the advanced research into Ebola treatment here by funding education, and power supply adequately. (Just like the Indians do it).

Garlic is used as an aid to keep BP down...it is not a cure for hypertension. Honey has been validated in research as a good wound healing agent. They are not cures.

Neither is Kolanut....as the OP and others try to imply....a good cure for Ebola....UNTIL....it has undergone adequate invitro., animal and even Phase 1-4 testing and has been PROVEN to clear ebola viral particles(Nowadays, we can skip the animal testing....but it is still the gold standard).

Actually I have no opinion on bitter kola or Ebola. Form the habit of listening!
I am just trying to correct the error that "ALL DRUGS MUST UNDERGO ANIMAL TESTING" as you claimed. This is untrue, once you are big enough to admit you got that wrong I have nothing else to say. Once again I have no opinion on bitter kola as a drug. I simply do not have any facts!
Drugs are not necessarily "curative" sometimes they are use to carry out state sanctioned executions i.e (POISONS),often for symptomatic relief and other adjunctive uses like anaesthesia e.g

Others are used for recreation e.g nicotine, alcohol, cannabis who is it that says a substance must be a "cure" for something to qualify as a "DRUG"

Many drugs are used for hypertension can you tell us one that is a "CURE"? I beg of you JUST ONE PLEASE
What is all this about "CURE"? Is the word cure material to definition of what a drug is??

Many agents are used in

arthritis
Epilepsy
Parkinson's disease
hypertension
sickle cell disease
HIV
diabetes
Asthma
schizophrenia
and many more conditions yet there is no known "cure" for these conditions so your argument that honey is not a drug because it i not a "CURE" is funny

What about sleeping tablets are they "cures" are they drugs?
Re: Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola by Nobody: 10:34am On Aug 02, 2014
I wonder o,mumu people.
Samgreguc:
y mst it b US Food and Drug Administration and not NAFDAC?
Re: Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola by Ezibless: 10:43am On Aug 02, 2014
Re: Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola by Ezibless: 10:46am On Aug 02, 2014
Acidosis: Only Certified Pharmacologists/Lab Pharmacologists can work out a reasonable cure.

Undermine their ability; and get ready to bury more bodies.
Ok Mr Pharmacologist,I think duty calls grin
Re: Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola by MAYOWAAK: 10:47am On Aug 02, 2014

grin

It is the shortened form of ADEBOLA.
Re: Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola by Nobody: 10:58am On Aug 02, 2014
iwonbaoko:

Actually I have no opinion on bitter kola or Ebola. Form the habit of listening!
I am just trying to correct the error that "ALL DRUGS MUST UNDERGO ANIMAL TESTING" as you claimed. This is untrue, once you are big enough to admit you got that wrong I have nothing else to say. Once again I have no opinion on bitter kola as a drug. I simply do not have any facts!
Drugs are not necessarily "curative" sometimes they are use to carry out state sanctioned executions i.e (POISONS),often for symptomatic relief and other adjunctive uses like anaesthesia e.g

Others are used for recreation e.g nicotine, alcohol, cannabis who is it that says a substance must be a "cure" for something to qualify as a "DRUG"

Many drugs are used for hypertension can you tell us one that is a "CURE"? I beg of you JUST ONE PLEASE
What is all this about "CURE"? Is the word cure material to definition of what a drug is??

Many agents are used in

arthritis
Epilepsy
Parkinson's disease
hypertension
sickle cell disease
HIV
diabetes
Asthma
schizophrenia
and many more conditions yet there is no known "cure" for these conditions so your argument that honey is not a drug because it i not a "CURE" is funny

What about sleeping tablets are they "cures" are they drugs?

OK I hear you....it is just that people on other threads where I have made above point have accused me of being a white man slave...and I assumed your post was like theirs.
Re: Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola by Nobody: 11:05am On Aug 02, 2014
bushdoc9919:

OK I hear you....it is just that people on other threads where I have made above point have accused me of being a white man slave...and I assumed your post was like theirs.

You cannot go around saying because you quarreled with the okada man you must quarrel with the bus driver grin Is that rational?

All I said was "not ALL drugs undergo trials in animals" nothing else now you can either admit that or dig you heels in obstinately just to prove you are right. If Bitter kola is to be proven as a drug for ANYTHING then I do not think animal trials would be necessary.
That does not amount to any kind of opinion on its efficacy

Regarding the issue of curativeness , that is just wrong and you should correct that misunderstanding. The vast MAJORITY of drugs in the market are NOT cures
Re: Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola by Acidosis(m): 11:07am On Aug 02, 2014
Ezibless: Ok Mr Pharmacologist,I think duty calls grin
cheesy
my sweet nurse, as long as you'll be there to take care for me; why NOT? smiley cool cool cool
Re: Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola by Ezibless: 11:31am On Aug 02, 2014
Acidosis:
cheesy
my sweet nurse, as long as you'll be there to take care for me; why NOT? smiley cool cool cool
Bros OYO for you o
Re: Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola by Acidosis(m): 3:07pm On Aug 02, 2014
Ezibless: Bros OYO for you o
sad sad
Re: Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola by CodeHouse: 5:30pm On Aug 02, 2014
There are four types of the virus - Ebola-Zaire, Ebola-Sudan and Ebola-Ivory Coast all affect humans, while Ebola-Reston has so far only affected monkeys and chimpanzees.

Where is Ebola-USA?
All these Ebola you are sharing...

wait for it....

#DiarizGoduo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Second Wave Of COVID-19: Lagos Shuts Down Schools, Etc / Prisoner Who Gave Birth To Twin Dies In Calabar / Autopsy: See What An Expectant Mother Said That Got People Talking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.