Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,971 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:29 AM

Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? (24892 Views)

.... / Age Difference Sure Matters In 'Will You Marry Me?' / Is It Ok To Sleep With Ur Partner In Courtship? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by ammamat(f): 2:36pm On Oct 15, 2008
please is it really true that if u are As and your fiance is AS both of u can not get maaried?, is it really important or dose it really matter at all?
What can you say about this?
And what is your Genotype?
Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by Mgbejume: 11:45am On Nov 04, 2008
My dear it does matter oh! My cousin was engaged to this guy, they dated for four years but when they were ready for marriage they went for their genotype test and both of them were AS,AS. They had to break up, u ll only bring children to this world that will suffer. Someone said it's better to live with an Aids patient that to live with a child that is an SS embarassed

8 Likes

Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by shayoor(f): 1:32pm On Jul 28, 2009
Its really matters
Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by Marymos: 2:31pm On Jul 28, 2009
My elder brother dated a lady for more than ten years and when is time for both of them to get married,they are both AS and has to stop the marriage process.Pls dont venture into it because you will regret later in life.
Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by TheSeeker(m): 3:21pm On Jul 28, 2009
Unless you can handle the pain, the emotional torture and dehydration of losing a child/children, it is not a good idea.

2 Likes

Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by Pittbaby(f): 3:29pm On Jul 28, 2009
Mgbejume:

My dear it does matter oh! My cousin was engaged to this guy, they dated for four years but when they were ready for marriage they went for their genotype test and both of them were AS,AS. They had to break up, u ll only bring children to this world that will suffer. Someone said it's better to live with an Aids patient than to live with a child that is an SS  embarassed

Please don't compare SS to an AIDS patient , I get your argument it is an awful disease. I have friends who are SS and I am sure they will not be thrilled if their condition was compared to a lifelong STD , talkless of fullblown AIDS.

Semantics aside it is very important for Genotype to be considered before marraige. I will say even ask before you start a serious relationship . it is very tough to get to the altar and then have to turn back . If you know you are AS always make a point of asking.

3 Likes

Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by sammiy: 5:58pm On Jul 28, 2009
of course it realy matters,cos u wil both end up bringing an innoccent soul to suffer
Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by Gentlelady(f): 6:24pm On Jul 28, 2009
It really matters if the courtship is leading to marriage with aim of producing biological children. Taking care of SS children is not easy. Why take on a problem you can prevent.
Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jul 28, 2009
My cousin is a sickle cell patience and its very sad sometimes sittin by his sick bed all most everytime, looking smaller dan his younger brother, it hurts me, @poster My dear it matters oh don't bring yourself into a marriage where u bury ur kids when u still live, sad

5 Likes

Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by forkinsonlolo(m): 3:07pm On Oct 18, 2012
cry cry cry
Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Oct 18, 2012
English really matters.

3 Likes

Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Oct 18, 2012
Pls i would like to know,what if i'm AA and she is SS can one get married(Doctors in the house pls respond).
Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by oluking: 4:19pm On Oct 18, 2012
ammamat: please is it really true that if u are As and your fiance is AS both of u can not get maaried?, is it really important or dose it really matter at all?

too Important to IGNORE?
Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by kokoye(m): 4:20pm On Oct 18, 2012
This is one of the situations in which you honestly need to think with your brain.....not your heart.

3 Likes

Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by Sealeddeal(m): 4:21pm On Oct 18, 2012
To some extent.its not advisable but one can still go on.its not a 'must' for AS-AS to bear SS child
Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by ikennaya(m): 4:21pm On Oct 18, 2012
If you wish
Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by Nobody: 4:22pm On Oct 18, 2012
forkinsonlolo: cry cry cry

Haha. What were u looking for? 2008?
Anyways, trust me, no matter how much u love each oda, it aint worth the pain cept ofcos u aint looking to have children - but get a frigging BTL or vaasectomy first.
Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by Sealeddeal(m): 4:22pm On Oct 18, 2012
Rolly83: Pls i would like to know,what if i'm AA and she is SS can one get married(Doctors in the house pls respond).
...its okay.u have nothing risky in that angle.
Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by kpolli(m): 4:23pm On Oct 18, 2012
It is only God that can determine anything so you can either put your faith in Him or give up. . . .

1 Like

Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by kunletech: 4:25pm On Oct 18, 2012
Rolly83: Pls i would like to know,what if i'm AA and she is SS can one get married(Doctors in the house pls respond).

yes, U ill hav AS
Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by Nobody: 4:25pm On Oct 18, 2012

By all means do, but that's if nd only if you love her very much. Cos hard tyms will come, trust me. If u r nt sure, u'll be up to d task, pls don't be a source of additional heartache n let her be.
Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by Willzkid(m): 4:26pm On Oct 18, 2012
It's so important that I didn't just ask, I took her to the Lab myself...
My late uncle lost 4 of his seven kids as a result , so such afflictions must not rise again...Wisdom is profitable to direct

1 Like

Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by goofie: 4:26pm On Oct 18, 2012
poster it really matters.so that u guys will bot be having serious issues.

my friend's parents r both AS and they hv 4 kids.three of d kids r SS and dey spend a lot on treatment n drugs.

we even lost a common friend cos of complications due to SS. and i feel so scared abt loosing dis my friend.

i feel d parents risk their future kids lives for their love
Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Oct 18, 2012
kpolli: It is only God that can determine anything so you can either put your faith in Him or give up. . . .

Dats quite shallow. God has given you intelligence, now play ur own part.

7 Likes

Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by ACM10: 4:28pm On Oct 18, 2012
ammamat: please is it really true that if u are As and your fiance is AS both of u can not get maaried?, is it really important or dose it really matter at all?

My dear, knowing your genotype and that of your partner matters a lot. This will save you the agony of giving birth to sicklers. Management of sickle cell anaemia is expensive and psychologically demanding.
My favourite cousin wanted to marry his fiancee last year. They were perfect match. Everyone in our family and circle of friends loved the girl. But when they went for blood genotyping, it read AS for both of them. They have to shelve their plan for marriage. It's so heartbreaking for the girl. She's yet to overcome the trauma. But the pain she passed through was little compared to what she will pass through when caring for sickler kids.
My best friend died 3yrs ago after her internship. She was a sickler. Her family now has only her younger brother who is equally a sickler. They adopted a baby girl last year.
I've seen the families who had sickler children. Frankly, sadness is the only expression that radiates from their faces.
I've seen a couple who gave birth to four kids with AS genotype. But that occurence is rare.
Mathematically, couples with AS genotype have 25% chance of giving birth to sickle cell genotype for every delivery. But this is not mathematics; this is life! The rules of selection does not follow mathematical interpretation. So you should reduce the risk to zero by doing the proper thing. You might decide to risk it all. In that case, I wish you good luck.
My genotype is AA, so I'm not limited in my choice. Though I will prefer someone with AA genotype since I wouldn't want my kids to be restricted in their choice.

2 Likes

Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by candieangel12(f): 4:31pm On Oct 18, 2012
Like the old saying goes: prevention is better than cure
Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by Biggyd2: 4:33pm On Oct 18, 2012
Op, if you have seen a sickle cell patient in pain, you won't ask that question. And moreover, you won't want a child that will blame you tomorrow for bringing him or her into the world to suffer. The child might ask you later if in this age, you didn't determine your genotypes before getting married. I don't know if there is any other way medical science can help though. Till then, I suggest you look for someone whose genotype is compatible with yours. Life is tough-we win some and we lose some.
Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by Lexusgs430: 4:33pm On Oct 18, 2012
AS - AS (no) only if you are a magician
AA - AS (yes)
SS - SS (definitely no)
AA - SS (yes)

3 Likes

Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by WhyAWhy(m): 4:34pm On Oct 18, 2012
kpolli: It is only God that can determine anything so you can either put your faith in Him or give up. . . .
oh puleeezeee, give me a break.

3 Likes

Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by 234GT(m): 4:35pm On Oct 18, 2012
It is very important. It is a shame I am AS and I have to look for an AA lady. Chai! But I have decided that once I date a lady for about 2 months, I will take her for test before we spend 3 years dating, only to be confronted with the results during preparations for wedding. The earlier you know, the better.

2 Likes

Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by goofie: 4:37pm On Oct 18, 2012
234GT: It is very important. It is a shame I am AS and I have to look for an AA lady. Chai! But I have decided that once I date a lady for about 2 months, I will take her for test before we spend 3 years dating, only to be confronted with the results during preparations for wedding. The earlier you know, the better.

for my friend, she practically asks d guy on d first day before she starts falling in love

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

the secret of Female Waist Bead / 6 Types Of Men You Meet In Lagos / 10 Cruel Things Women Do To Men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.