Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,319 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:16 AM

What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! (15913 Views)

Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? / You're Not A Nigerian If You Didn't Do These Things As A Child / Give Me A Child And Get 250k, Twins 500k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by OkikiOluwa1(m): 7:14pm On Aug 02, 2014
If a pikin no sabi book, he fit learn trade.

2 Likes

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by ChristineC: 7:15pm On Aug 02, 2014
Ranchhoddas: genes matter but it's mostly nurture over nature.
judah2000:

It's hereditary

Some parents are academically dull n expect their children to be academically sharp... Nope
Ohk thanks guys
Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by Nobody: 7:20pm On Aug 02, 2014
alutacontinua: It's not possible wink
that's why I perform IQ test on any guy that comes close to me cheesy
pesin wey is IQ low go do IQ test fr anoda fellow...... aw d fellow no go pass d test weird lipsrsealed
Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by Nobody: 7:24pm On Aug 02, 2014
quit skul n sell crap.....all i can say
Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by redsun(m): 7:26pm On Aug 02, 2014
In a structured world,the term dyslexia can be used to describe a child like that.A child with special education needs,that requires extra attention and efforts to make him/her catch up with normal kids that can learn with ease.It could be due to different factors,medical,parental backgroud,peer pressure or learning environment.

Interactive education is always the best for children where they learn by practicing,solving problems and tagging along in reality with the things they read in book and taught in class.Reading and writing are just minute of parts education,the real education is the ability of a child to reason contructively and solve problems from one stage to another.Such children grow up to be rational and productive adults,without having to ask for food,medical and financial aids from other countries like african adults of today who are supposedlly educated

5 Likes

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by hillit: 7:27pm On Aug 02, 2014
I teach special children to read using phonics. No mata hw block head contact me
Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by dotuna3(m): 7:28pm On Aug 02, 2014
Sometimes It seems like dat but is not like it. I could recall I was also a dull boy when I was young. One of the cause is
1.Environment
2.Peer group
3.Parent
4.The kind of food
5.School

All these 5 points must be put into perfect consideration when building a child mentally. Am happy I later changed as my mum played a serious role with those point listed above. Now am a graduate working with one of the best organisation in Nigeria am proud of my self and all thanks to God and my mum. So no child is dull when it comes to academics for the child in question he will later change just put all listed in consideration and pray for him.

2 Likes

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by Nobody: 7:29pm On Aug 02, 2014
I beg to differ from what everyone is saying! At times a child could her birth problems like not having enough oxygen when he or she is born, this affects the brain of the child and in adulthood affects how he uses his mental sense.

You just need to find out what he is good at then take it from there.

2 Likes

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by Aitee1: 7:29pm On Aug 02, 2014
In Nigeria do we have a standard vocational school to refer this kind of children to? No!!! But go to a country like Gabon wards wid issues like this are always reffered to a vocational school and they do perform excellently, all our leaders knw is to loot undecided

1 Like

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by Originalsly: 7:34pm On Aug 02, 2014
i blame the father for causing the problem and poster and the rest c the family for not finding a solution. I don't for a moment believe the guy is an academic blockhead. His father sowed the seed of destruction by sliding him into secondary school....a level way above his head. He had no foundation. How can one build on poor foundation and expect a building to stand? This guy's foundation is of sand instead of rock. He needs to pick up from just before the father threw him into the deep....that's where he still is academically. Sending him for vocational training will not help since a certain level of academic background is necessary. Some kids do not respond well to academics until after age ten when a light bulb goes on...maybe he is one of them...a late developer. Now who really is the blockhead?....boy or family?
Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by frisby: 7:36pm On Aug 02, 2014
How come everyone thinks formal education is the best/only form of education.

I knew a boy who was almost bad at every subject we studied back in junior second skl. Everyone called him a dullard, and at a point he stopped trying, wud just get busy sketching in his notebooks whenever a teacher gave us notes so as to keep up appearances.

I swiched seats at a points and we became closer. And that was when I learnt something that shocked me. All of his notes were filled with architectural n engineering drawings that would give engineering/architecture students low self esteem. And he was just in jss3.

After our jssce, he went and started an apprenticeship programme with an architect family friend.
This same guy started making very healthy sums even while I was still fighting through uni. He's established today and u'd never guess he's the same guy.

5 Likes

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by Miner13: 7:37pm On Aug 02, 2014
kennynelcon:

Lol ur funny

angryangry angry

she's realistic

but I still have to test alutacontinua RQ(reasoning quotient ) may she's also qualify
Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by wumiesontop: 7:40pm On Aug 02, 2014
Nedu, uboma said it all. It may even be because everyone of u have nt seen something good in him, dat is y u av nt been able to get d best out of him. He was fed up and confused dat was y he forged his result.
Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by thymedcurry(f): 7:49pm On Aug 02, 2014

3 Likes

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by Nobody: 7:50pm On Aug 02, 2014
Odilafta:
Rather than forcing him to learn academics,he should be registered for vocational training such as tailoring,mechanic,welding or barbing
I agree with you. Everybody can't bag academic degrees, but I believe there is something everybody can excel in.

@OP, this boy needs some encouragement and love. Let him stop wasting valuable time repeating classes and sharpening criminal skills by forging results all in a bid to impress ya all. Let his parents talk to him and know where his passion lies then you all can support him and encourage to tow that path.
Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by wrench: 7:55pm On Aug 02, 2014
nedu2000: but u 'ave to admit its easier in life if ur at least educated,tuface is just a one-off
but Tuface is educated.. I'm pretty sure he went to primary and secondary school.

1 Like

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by Nobody: 7:56pm On Aug 02, 2014
frisby: How come everyone thinks formal education is the best/only form of education.

I knew a boy who was almost bad at every subject we studied back in junior second skl. Everyone called him a dullard, and at a point he stopped trying, wud just get busy sketching in his notebooks whenever a teacher gave us notes so as to keep up appearances.

I swiched seats at a points and we became closer. And that was when I learnt something that shocked me. All of his notes were filled with architectural n engineering drawings that would give engineering/architecture students low self esteem. And he was just in jss3.

After our jssce, he went and started an apprenticeship programme with an architect family friend.
This same guy started making very healthy sums even while I was still fighting through uni. He's established today and u'd never guess he's the same guy.

Exactly.

The problem with our education system is that it is geared towards training clerks......not encouraging gifted people.
Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by Nobody: 7:57pm On Aug 02, 2014
It is possible that the lad did not develop a love of reading.....
Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by uboma(m): 7:58pm On Aug 02, 2014
iceberylin:
Ahah....Which kind long post be this

It isn't meant for you.
Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by Tucees(f): 8:16pm On Aug 02, 2014
uboma: No one is a blockhead. And calling your Uncle's child one will not help matters at all. No matter what a child does, don't call him/her derogatory names or compare them with other children who may be doing better.

If you really want to help, you need to have a heart to heart chat with your Uncle's child. First, gain his trust, so he can open up to you. It could be that something went wrong during his formative years (6-10 years). Please answer these;

Did this child grow up with his biological parents or with a relative?

During his formative years, did his parents play an active role in his life? Did they play together as a family? Was the father/mother always around to LISTEN and talk to their child? During his early years in school (nursery to primary) were his parents interested in his school activities? Did they guide him with his homework? Did they find out from his teacher(s) the performance of their son? Or was it just the *enrol your child in school, pay his fees when due, buy school materials? Is this the cycle they followed?

I always tell parents that *children are what we make them*. Once you miss it during their formative years, then you've lost out big time. It is simply not enough to just send your child to school and leave them at the mercy of their teachers. Parents need to play an ACTIVE role in their child(ren)'s life.

And mind you, if you are sure that the parents played their role during his formative years, then the child may be better off learning a vocational skill. If having listened to this boy, and its obvious that he just doesn't like school, then find out his hobby or the skill he's interested in and build on that.

Look around the world today, not all the well to do men actually completed their schooling. But they have excelled in their chosen fields.

There's so much to say but time... I wish I could have a chat with your Uncle's child. Are they in Abuja?

NB.
Calling a child derogatory names only serves to worsen him, make him more reserve and won't bring out the best in him/her. No one was born a dullard. Please take note.
I beg to differ! A similar case as the ops is happening live as am typing this!. Such derogatory words exist because there are scenarios and people that qualify to be addressed as such! A dullard, a bastard etc though derogatory doesn't mean the people in most cases being referred to as such aint it. After so many instances I've concluded that this kid is actually dull in academics and lacks common sense. Take this scenario, I was downloading something on my phone and somehow he picked the phone up and said "aunty your phone is hot should I out it in the fridge?" Me in a sarcastic tone replied put it in the fridge nah! To my utmost surprise he actually did put the phone in the fridge and I didn't realise this until after sometime when frost has already built up in its panels! angry ! A teenager that can't tell the time of day? A teenager that can't read out the months that make up a year? A teenager that doesn't know his date of birth? A teenager that doesn't know his state of origin or the capital or the governors name is not a dullard? A teenager that can't calculate simple sums even with a calculator? IS A DULLARD! Mind you he grew up with his loving parents until when the schools in their locality can't take him anymore! They sent him to live with us in another city. So your theory of abuse as a child doesn't hold water in most cases as some people are actually born dull and no matter the care and loving words applied they just can't catch up.

2 Likes

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by l2l(m): 8:18pm On Aug 02, 2014
All you need to do to help the boy's future is to help him discover his hobby/talent and help him build on it

Some people would always require the help of others thruout their life in order to excel, and that doesn't mean dey r dull or useless..
Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by emeka94(m): 8:24pm On Aug 02, 2014
@OP d boy is probably not doing well because everybody is looking at him with failure eyes. Sooner or later he will stop trying to please or follow traditional norms and become a retreatist.
We humans can easily re-adapt and our body develops a defense mechanism to injurious things. He needs only love and encouragement. His conscience is enough punishment for him. Don't add salt to injury.
By the way his criminal tendency is probably caused by the way he is treated and d way he sees himself which is, probably, as a good for nothing. Try to make him feel good with himself by finding what he is good at.
Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by Nobody: 8:26pm On Aug 02, 2014
OP, I understand what that dude is going through.

Factually, there are 2 kinds of people on earth--Those who find motivation from within or those who need motivation from other source.

The former is very few(where I fall into) and the latter has large population and no matter their situation, they always strive for a better life. For the latter, which is where many people fall into, if care isn't taken to harness the power of great parenthood, a child may not turn out right.

That's childs' upbringing is very faulty.

It hurts me so much that many parents just know how to fvck and produce kids, they don't know their role in the society.

OP, if you care about that kid, you should have done something to help me while he was still with you in Lagos, but here you are complaining as well.

My uncle, with his only 2 sons, couldn't take care of them as much such that they couldn't read and write.

But I can boldly tell you that before the demise of my mum, I made sure impacted them positively and they could atleast read and write before they left our home.

That's the way to do thing.

Technically, I rarely blame kids in such situations because whatever a child becomes in the future is a resultant of parental guides.

1 Like

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by uboma(m): 8:28pm On Aug 02, 2014
Tucees: I beg to differ! A similar case as the ops is happening live as am typing this!. Such derogatory words exist because there are scenarios and people that qualify to be addressed as such! A dullard, a bastard etc though derogatory doesn't mean the people in most cases being referred to as such aint it. After so many instances I've concluded that this kid is actually dull in academics and lacks common sense. Take this scenario, I was downloading something on my phone and somehow he picked the phone up and said "aunty your phone is hot should I out it in the fridge?" Me in a sarcastic tone replied put it in the fridge nah! To my utmost surprise he actually did put the phone in the fridge and I didn't realise this until after sometime when frost has already built up in its panels! angry ! A teenager that can't tell the time of day? A teenager that can't read out the months that make up a year? A teenager that doesn't know his date of birth? A teenager that doesn't know his state of origin or the capital or the governors name is not a dullard? A teenager that can't calculate simple sums even with a calculator? IS A DULLARD! Mind you he grew up with his loving parents until when the schools in their locality can't take him anymore! They sent him to live with us in another city. So your theory of abuse as a child doesn't hold water in most cases as some people are actually born dull and no matter the care and loving words applied they just can't catch up.

You lack the ability to comprehend my post so I wouldn't even bother breaking it any further for you or anyone else in your shoes because you still won't get it. Do as you wish with the child and even your children too. Give them names, call them DULLARDS, they are your kids or supposedly loved ones. And watch them improve because you tagged them *dullards*.

1 Like

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by Nobody: 8:34pm On Aug 02, 2014
nedu2000: I know most parents talk about how their kids finish 1st in class then who's the child that finishes last!!
My uncle's 16-yr-old child is such a person,he's dad bribed his way into secondary after he failed common entrance,after repeating JS1 and JS 2 twice,his dad was called in by his school principal(govt school) to come and carry away his ward!!My uncle not knowing what to do,send my cousin down to Lagos to live with us and join my little brother in his school(they are both age-mates but my brother is in SS3).
In Lagos,he couldn't pass the qualifying exam to my broher's school so we had to make do with one of those secondary schools that don't arrange such exams. In school,the results didn't change 22nd/24 students after 3 attempts in the same class?haba.He also possesses criminal tendencies as he forged his last term results,he doesn't write notes claiming he's a slow writer and its a natural liar. His parents are confused.
Surely there are parents who's wards aren't(weren't) doing well academically,what's the way out? sad
My son was nearly as dull as the mentioned. He called me and I told him that if he doesn't do well in school, I'll make him become a carpenter. The next term, he came 5th out 55 from a previous position of 48 out of 55.
Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by Nobody: 8:35pm On Aug 02, 2014
it isnt a must every child proceeds after high school, obviously the boy knows he isnt doing well that is why he tried to alter his results. he should be sat down and asked what he really wants for himself , you never can tell he might want to learn some form or business or something.
Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by tigonana: 8:36pm On Aug 02, 2014
realone2012: Will just tell me him that:
You see son; GEJ (Goodluck EBOLA Jonathan) was an academic blockhead back then in Otueke and today he is the HEAD OF ALL ACADEMIC UNBLOCK HEADS INCLUDING THE PROFESSORS we have in Nigeria. Don't Give Up Son!!
grin ; grin
Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by Nobody: 8:41pm On Aug 02, 2014
I believe no one is a blockhead, the problem is concentration.

In my js3, there was this guy who was so dull that he had all f9 and one pass in our junior WAEC then. Of course, he was advised(perhaps forced) to withdraw, after which he resumed at Adams Adebola coaching class in Oshodi where he became so good in 3 years that he had distinctions in his SSCE. When i went to The coaching centre for my JAMB class, he was so good in Physics, chemistry & maths that he was assigned by the lesson owner to teach certain people privately.

To top it all, i heard he's graduated now with a 1st class degree in computer engineering from Obafemi Awolowo.

Things are not always what they seem.

5 Likes

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by Sunshinelady(f): 8:43pm On Aug 02, 2014
realone2012: Will just tell me him that:
You see son; GEJ (Goodluck EBOLA Jonathan) was an academic blockhead back then in Otueke and today he is the HEAD OF ALL ACADEMIC UNBLOCK HEADS INCLUDING THE PROFESSORS we have in Nigeria. Don't Give Up Son!!
. U must tink u r funny. May som1 put HIV in between ur father's name, goat

1 Like

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by Nobody: 8:51pm On Aug 02, 2014
Sunshinelady: . U must tink u r funny. May som1 put HIV in between ur father's name, goat
see boda j
ona's first daughter.... yu don enter para mode b daht
grin
Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by tochukwu75(m): 8:56pm On Aug 02, 2014
If my child is not good academically, he must be good in other vocational skills. The best option is for him to learn a trade.
Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by Nobody: 8:56pm On Aug 02, 2014
alutacontinua: It's not possible wink
that's why I perform IQ test on any guy that comes close to me cheesy

Please perform one on me right away. cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Some Nigerian Men And Their Popular "I Will Marry U Syndrome" / Why Should A Wife Deny Her Husband Sex & What To Do If It Was You / Would You Marry Your Best Friend's Widow?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.