Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,045 members, 7,818,143 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:52 AM

Nissan Altima 2001-is It A Good Car To Buy - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nissan Altima 2001-is It A Good Car To Buy (2306 Views)

2005 Nissan Altima Vs 2005 Toyota Camry / Help: My Camry 2001 Is Gulping Fuel / Best Way To Ship A Car To Lagos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nissan Altima 2001-is It A Good Car To Buy by etech: 10:21pm On Aug 04, 2014
Hello just want to know if nissan altima 2001 model is a car wroth buying plss I need your input many thanks smiley
Re: Nissan Altima 2001-is It A Good Car To Buy by etech: 3:49pm On Aug 05, 2014
still waiting... sad cry
Re: Nissan Altima 2001-is It A Good Car To Buy by Nobody: 6:01pm On Aug 05, 2014
No, not a good car
Nexxxxxxxxxxxttttttttttt !!!!! angry angry angry
Re: Nissan Altima 2001-is It A Good Car To Buy by etech: 6:10pm On Aug 05, 2014
mxxpunkxx1: No, not a good car
Nexxxxxxxxxxxttttttttttt !!!!! angry angry angry

Thanks bro but what are your reason?
Re: Nissan Altima 2001-is It A Good Car To Buy by Nobody: 6:17pm On Aug 05, 2014
Bros, I have used that ride. I used it for 4 years and 11 months, the gear box is very solid. But the engine and other components in the hood need special care or it could get you into trouble financially.
Re: Nissan Altima 2001-is It A Good Car To Buy by Nobody: 6:18pm On Aug 05, 2014
etech:

Thanks bro but what are your reason?

Are you kidding me?
I drive a much newer model of the Altima . . It's a nice car
i.e. if you buy a good one . . . The topic is too generic
coz it depends on if u're buying a dead or half-dead car . . .
Re: Nissan Altima 2001-is It A Good Car To Buy by etech: 6:21pm On Aug 05, 2014
chiebube: Bros, I have used that ride. I used it for 4 years and 11 months, the gear box is very solid. But the engine and other components in the hood need special care or it could get you into trouble financially.

Thanks man that means for 4years that you have used it extreme care is what you use to keep it alive,quick question whats the cost of maintenance like .
Re: Nissan Altima 2001-is It A Good Car To Buy by Nobody: 6:23pm On Aug 05, 2014
etech:

Thanks man that means for 4years that you have used it extreme care is what you use to keep it alive,quick question whats the cost of maintenance like .

Ar u sure u're ready to own a car?
Or u sef just want dey drive . . No offence oh .I need to know sometin
Re: Nissan Altima 2001-is It A Good Car To Buy by etech: 6:25pm On Aug 05, 2014
mxxpunkxx1:

Ar u sure u're ready to own a car?
Or u sef just want dey drive . . No offence oh .I need to know sometin

hahahaha its all gud man no worries its just a simple question if i knw issh about the car i will not be here asking so if you will give me your input abt the car that will be appreciated.
Re: Nissan Altima 2001-is It A Good Car To Buy by Nobody: 6:31pm On Aug 05, 2014
etech:

hahahaha its all gud man no worries its just a simple question if i knw issh about the car i will not be here asking so if you will give me your input abt the car that will be appreciated.

Okay just a little scenario . . My Altima lately started jerking between traffic stops. I wasn't around . . so I sent a brother to help me fix it,
He spent 25k ( on changing plugs, changing engine filter, this and that . . .) and when I came back, Altima still continued jerking
I rmmbered I have a scanner, so I scanned it. Lo and behold, the MAF sensor was dead . .
I can buy a genuine MAF sensor anywhere between $25 and $80 from the dealerships . . but i have already spent 25k that cant be gotten back
So that's it brov. If you ready to buy car, you must ready to spend oh . . .
Asides that, the Altima engines are rugged and strong and speed demons too . .
Like I said earlier, make sure you buy a good one . . then follow the normal service routines . .. Nothing will happen to ya car!
Gbabe !!!
Re: Nissan Altima 2001-is It A Good Car To Buy by etech: 6:33pm On Aug 05, 2014
mxxpunkxx1:

Okay just a little scenario . . My Altima lately started jerking between traffic stops. I wasn't around . . so I sent a brother to help me fix it,
He spent 25k ( on changing plugs, changing engine filter, this and that . . .) and when I came back, Altima still continued jerking
I rmmbered I have a scanner, so I scanned it. Lo and behold, the MAF sensor was dead . .
I can buy a genuine MAF sensor anywhere between $25 and $80 from the dealerships . . but i have already spent 25k that cant be gotten back
So that's it brov. If you ready to buy car, you must ready to spend oh . . .
Asides that, the Altima engines are rugged and strong and speed demons too . .
Like I said earlier, make sure you buy a good one . . then follow the normal service routines . .. Nothing will happen to ya car!
Gbabe !!!

hmmmm nice 1 bro thanks for this i really appreciate.
Re: Nissan Altima 2001-is It A Good Car To Buy by Nobody: 6:37pm On Aug 05, 2014
etech:

hmmmm nice 1 bro thanks for this i really appreciate.

I could go on and on ; but the last tym I checked, Seun asked
us to collect consultation fees . . . grin

2 Likes

Re: Nissan Altima 2001-is It A Good Car To Buy by etech: 6:50pm On Aug 05, 2014
mxxpunkxx1:

I could go on and on ; but the last tym I checked, Seun asked
us to collect consultation fees . . . grin

Hahahaha thanks all the same
Re: Nissan Altima 2001-is It A Good Car To Buy by autoscan: 6:52pm On Aug 05, 2014
1. Make sure you dont buy a flooded altima.

2. Get a diagnostic tool if you want to use an altima. Mechanics guess a lot with this car and they dont like it. My mechanic kept hailing me cos of the way i took care of my altima without a diagnostic tool.

3. The maintenance is very very affordable.

4. Fuel efficiency is great.

5. I dont know why. My plugs werent lasting more than 3 months. I guess its because my thermostat was removed in my first and sevond engine.

6. I learnt how to be a mechanic with that car.

7. Finally, if you must buy this car, Number 2 (diagnostic tool) must always be with you.

8. I changed up to 20 fuel pumps throughout the time I used the car. Mine was 1998 Nissan Altima. The same body style as 2001 model. Same engine. The grill and lights are different.

9. The year before I sold it, I changed the engine. And I started enjoying it again. Bye for now...

Re: Nissan Altima 2001-is It A Good Car To Buy by bukkytroni: 7:50pm On Aug 05, 2014
@etech

I currently use the car. My reviews:

Gear Box is very strong. I over check the gear box oil because for almost a year, it hasnt coughed once
Engine is very strong. It is 2.4L has higher torque and hp than Camry 2.2 so expect to keep them on your rear mirror if you ever need to drag race
Regular maintenance is important, even though i have done Lagos to Abeokuta before with almost empty engine oil. You wont be able to run fast though because you will have to rev harder. Please dont try it, it may cost you dearly, just illustrating how hard you can beat the engine
Maintenance? Very cheap - two front shafts for 6.5k, stripped down engine for 40k, oil filter is 500 Naira etc
Absorbers are very strong. I have entered potholes several times at high speed and nothing happened.
Fuel Efficiency? If you drive it too hard you will pay for it at the gas station.

Downside
Bumper, Bumper, Bumper. It start coming loose when you drive it too long on bad roads. You will see most Altima will a loose front bumper
The car is kinda low. I have had to put a foot on the gas pedal and one on the brakes just to make sure it didnt go off inside the flood on a rainy day
Also, the AC adjuster is almost at the lowest end of the engine, and it gets easily buried in flood water. Expect to hear it screaming sooner than you think if you have to wade through so many waters
Less fuel efficient compared to Toyota Camry

In summary, its a car i have no regret buying. Spent nothing on it for months except engine oil, 500 naira oil filter and petrol. Oops I also got it at a good deal.

Enjoy if you eventually decide to go for it. I will rate it 7/10
Re: Nissan Altima 2001-is It A Good Car To Buy by Nobody: 8:45pm On Aug 05, 2014
bukkytroni: @etech

I currently use the car. My reviews:

Gear Box is very strong. I over check the gear box oil because for almost a year, it hasnt coughed once
Engine is very strong. It is 2.4L has higher torque and hp than Camry 2.2 so expect to keep them on your rear mirror if you ever need to drag race
Regular maintenance is important, even though i have done Lagos to Abeokuta before with almost empty engine oil. You wont be able to run fast though because you will have to rev harder. Please dont try it, it may cost you dearly, just illustrating how hard you can beat the engine
Maintenance? Very cheap - two front shafts for 6.5k, stripped down engine for 40k, oil filter is 500 Naira etc
Absorbers are very strong. I have entered potholes several times at high speed and nothing happened.
Fuel Efficiency? If you drive it too hard you will pay for it at the gas station.

Downside
Bumper, Bumper, Bumper. It start coming loose when you drive it too long on bad roads. You will see most Altima will a loose front bumper
The car is kinda low. I have had to put a foot on the gas pedal and one on the brakes just to make sure it didnt go off inside the flood on a rainy day
Also, the AC adjuster is almost at the lowest end of the engine, and it gets easily buried in flood water. Expect to hear it screaming sooner than you think if you have to wade through so many waters
Less fuel efficient compared to Toyota Camry

In summary, its a car i have no regret buying. Spent nothing on it for months except engine oil, 500 naira oil filter and petrol. Oops I also got it at a good deal.

Enjoy if you eventually decide to go for it. I will rate it 7/10

Vivid !
Re: Nissan Altima 2001-is It A Good Car To Buy by etech: 9:37pm On Aug 05, 2014
Thanks all ya ur input is really given enuff info abt this car many thanks to everyone that has droped a line.
Re: Nissan Altima 2001-is It A Good Car To Buy by bukkytroni: 12:48pm On Dec 23, 2014
Hi all

Just to add. Like autoscan said, if you want to learn how to fix a car without getting into too much expensive trouble, the Nissan Altima (maximum year 2001) is the way to go. I now think its more rugged than toyota camry pencil light.

I have been having an issue for a while, the car doesnt rev beyond 2500rpm and then it start jerking. After many months of trial and error, the gear box somewhat gave way and off to a recommended gear master the car went.

To cut long story short, after the gearbox was fixed (I wd have gotten a new gearbox but the guy said that even if I buy a new one, he must pieces it first to know that its a good one), now the car drives like a speed demon.

Though the car has taught me to be pre-emptive and pro-active of any issue, I truly have enjoyed the car thus far. I was considering selling the car before but now, I have changed my mind.

What are the issues?

Sometimes, the plug doesnt last too long. The car begins to jerk and slow to pick up from halt. Time to change the plugs
Sometimes, the radio relay just feel like going on holidays. Take care. If you dont, either the radiator water hose at the top or the bottom will burst and the steam from the hot radio coolant will cover your car. Thou shall not panic. Just park somewhere, allow the car to cool. You can still drive the car for a few kilometers to where you need to fix it properly. Practically, the car will do anything possible not to burn your gasket. Fan has stopped working and water finished in the radiator a number of times while on a long journey. I simply park, bypass the relay or run wires directly to the battery head from the radiator fan. Any which way, the car will take you to your destination.

Another infrequent problem is the fuel pump. Thank God it went dead where there was a mechanic closeby. He got me one from a tokunbo Almera as replacement meanwhile he messed up my fuel gauge. Disadvantage? I have to make sure the tank is always filled up.

Recently had a leaking water pump. Got another one for 2.5k and the car was ready to continue the trip.

Now I have basic tools especially extra plugs and plug spanner.
Sometimes the car doesnt start? No panic, remove the battery head and start it again, there it goes.

All in all, its been a wonderful car and the thought of it wants me to want to travel at any opportuned time.

Anybody have issues with the car? You could post your questions here for likely help from Altima Users

Cheers
Re: Nissan Altima 2001-is It A Good Car To Buy by AutosBay(m): 2:48pm On Dec 23, 2014
Pros
Fun to drive, strong reliability record, big rebates.

Cons
Tinny construction, lacking powertrain refinement, vanilla personality.

Its an overall great car as Nissan is known to produce well-reliable cars. The pros of the car are definitely the fuel efficiency, small compact size, the security of the driver seat and the space this little car has. The only thing that would be great to change is the amount of power this car can put in into high speeds, esp. while merging on the highway or simply having an exhilaration thrill. Wouldn't trade the car for anything else but horsepower could use a hand.

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/altima/2001/
Re: Nissan Altima 2001-is It A Good Car To Buy by afope: 4:04am On Feb 11, 2015
I have an issue with my nissan altima 2004 model. The top gasket got burnt recently and I had to change it but now the engine oil is leaking badly.. I have true yo fix it without success.

The oil keeps getting short within 3 days and when it does the car just dies. Note this leakage has been on even before the gasket got burnt just that it has becomes worse..

Also the transmission slams onto position anytime I put my foot on d brake and try to shift the transmission from reverse to drive. Although the movement of the car is still somehow smooth but there is a slight delay in shifting.

Pls how can I solve these problems.
Re: Nissan Altima 2001-is It A Good Car To Buy by Nobody: 5:35am On Feb 11, 2015
Afope call me for a car scan if you are in Abuja. 08034533668
Re: Nissan Altima 2001-is It A Good Car To Buy by afope: 8:51am On Feb 11, 2015
chiebube:
Afope call me for a car scan if you are in Abuja. 08034533668

i am in Lagos.. what do you suggest? do you know anyone in Lagos that can assist?

I have an issue with my Nissan altima 2004 model. The top gasket got burnt recently and I had to change it but now the engine oil is leaking badly.. I have tried to fix it without success.

The oil keeps getting short within 3 days and when it does the car just dies. Note this leakage has been on even before the gasket got burnt just that it has becomes worse..

Also the transmission slams onto position anytime I put my foot on d brake and try to shift the transmission from reverse to drive. Although the movement of the car is still somehow smooth but there is a slight delay in shifting.

Pls how can I solve these problems.
Re: Nissan Altima 2001-is It A Good Car To Buy by Nobody: 8:58am On Feb 11, 2015
Send a PM to Gazzuzz

(1) (Reply)

What To Do Before Buying A Tokunbo Car / My Car AC Switches Between Hot Air And Cold Air When Idling / Germany Lauches ‘the Transparent Car’ (photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.