Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,751 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest (25045 Views)

Durban Invites All Short Filmmmakers To Submit Entries For 6th Talent Campus / Viewing Nigerian Tv Stations Is Like A Nightmare / The Durban Youth In Film Society Presents The Durban Short Film Challenge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by danot1030: 12:47pm On Aug 14, 2014
dejahvu: Lagos monopoly is the Bane of creativity in the nigerian entertainment industry
then take it to ur village.
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Rossikk(m): 1:05pm On Aug 14, 2014
speedyboi: What's this about exactly? Durban film festival.... What's that? Nollywood films screen in much bigger festivals, who cares what South Africans think? They've always been anti-Nigeria, so to hell.

And we Nigerians; in our eyes (in all aspects of life), every kid is the best in the world, except ours. Who've bothered to know what's going on in SA film industry right now? Or what South Africans actually think about their films?

Talk of consistency, why didn't they keep winning oscars after Totsi? Talk about the Oscar sef, They won Oscar once and so effing what?!!! That's 10 years ago, get over it already! Look around, nothing really changed after Totsi.

Not one single Bollywood film has ever won an Oscar, yet Indians are not killing themselves over it. They are not using Oscar to measure their success, infact they don't care about it! Yet, everyone around the world will pick bollywood then take many many steps before even thinking of recognizing our almighty Oscar winning SA industry.

Bottomline is; i don't envy SA cinema! I don't wish Nollywood to be in its shoes. I don't want Nollywood to start making propanga-ridden western stereotypical films, just to attract western audience. That's what SA is doing and most South Africans bash their filmmakers for that and more. Most even use Nigeria as an example for their filmmakers. I don't want an industry without self esteem. I don't care if we keep producing crap, as long as we don't loose ourselves or start making some "shitty Tarzan-like" films. I'm comfortable with Nollywood depicting the typical Nigerian world and i even want them to up that "hip" style, a big NO to some "pity party" films! No way!

I'm sure the day Bollywood will start getting Oscar is when they start making "slum dog nonsense" kinda films where they'll depict some indians struggling to make it. That's the Oscar spirit; if it ain't hollywood, then don't depict a civilized citylife of your country, else no Oscar for you. What they want are films with strong "messages". You know what the message is wink.
In fact God bless you for this comment. You are a very wise man. Thank God we have your type around, to educate these young boys..

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Rossikk(m): 1:19pm On Aug 14, 2014
safarigirl: they did not watch:

Ijele
Igodo
Festival of Fire
Full Moon

they will not watch:
The Meeting
Confusion Na Wa
i'll Take My Chances...

but they want to come here and talk shi bout low quality movies, when you're only interested in buying Aba movies of 50-150 or looking at Africa Magic, how will you find quality Nigerian movies?
Please don't mind these habitual moaners. Of course they take the time and effort to seek out, and fawn over the best foreign titles, but all and any Nigerian films represent the state of Nollywood. No need to differentiate.
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Rossikk(m): 1:26pm On Aug 14, 2014
I also find it hilarious that some see South Africa as any type of credible critics of the Nigerian film industry. That's really funny. So how many films have South Africans sold in the last month? Or year? Utterly negligible compared to Nollywood, globally. Yet South Africa and even Rwanda are criticising the far more successful Nigerians?

Since when did abject failure become a platform for pontification?

2 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by dejahvu(m): 1:53pm On Aug 14, 2014
Some sakare at 1030 avenue
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Nobody: 3:26pm On Aug 14, 2014
[size=16pt]SPEEDYBOI COME TAKE ONE BOTTLE FOR MY HEAD!![/size]
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Jayboy124: 5:38pm On Aug 14, 2014
touchmeder: I have. It is a brilliant film but I doubt if that is what will appeal to a typical Nigerian market but who knows one may be pleasantly surprised.

The best Hollywood films don't appeal to 'typical' Americans too.

Hollywood makes films that will make money for them, hundreds of millions. CGI, action and way too many super heroes films. But the thing is, they also take time to make very brilliant films.

2 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by davidif: 2:26am On Aug 15, 2014
safarigirl: hahaha, why so pained?

When last did you see a voodoo movie from nollywood? Or are you watching Africa Magic Yoruba? Isn't voodoo part of African culture? Or is it all of that nonsensical gibberish on Mr. Bones that's African? Have you ever wondered why whenever Hollywood wants to make fun of Africa it's SA they go to?

See how you're foaming from the mouth, garbage indeed. Go and watch Nollywood from 2010 till now, I don't mean Aba Nollywood cuz that's the one y'all broke people go and watch then tag Nollywood.

You can continue making your woe-unto-i movies, that's what your white masers love seeing anyways...I know SA will do ANYTHING to please white people tongue

Boy, where do I even begin with this post? Is it the playing the 'race card' or the poorly formed argument? I guess the only way to counter arguements in naija is to cherry pick from a small sample or outliers or just resort to attacking other people (in this case, the whites). Horrible diversionary tactic,

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by davidif: 2:37am On Aug 15, 2014
Rossikk: I also find it hilarious that some see South Africa as any type of credible critics of the Nigerian film industry. That's really funny. So how many films have South Africans sold in the last month? Or year? Utterly negligible compared to Nollywood, globally. Yet South Africa and even Rwanda are criticising the far more successful Nigerians?

Since when did abject failure become a platform for pontification?

Gosh, another poorly formed rebuttal. Why are Nigerians always so incredibly defensive and close minded to criticism? Someone pointed out that our film industry still has a very long way to go and here you are Mr. Defender-of-all-things-Nigerian, trying to attack your neighbors who are pointing out your flaws to you? Na wa for una o.
Please do tell me which movie in naija history is on the same level as "District 9"? Abeg tell me.
Please, also tell me this. Since when has number of movies sold meant the same thing as making a quality movie? Chai! This country people sef? undecided

Let me paraphrase the last line from the article: "is it not better to produce nothing than to produce rubbish?"

2 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by iamord(m): 4:57am On Aug 15, 2014
Nollywood and their counterpart gollywood are two shameless glorified entities. Forget about its contribution to the economy.. They don't even have a system. If we were to have, a lot of all our so called stars will be broke ass peepz littering the streets. Cos the platform will discover true talents . People think this movie industry is like hand work that your oga brought you to lagos To learn trade..the movie industry is also a platform that displays the creativity of a people summed up together. If I were to put this glorified “woods” on the score card.. They will score ZERO. They don't promote deep thinking, creativity ,awareness and pride in ones country, there are so many flaws in the industry that I have seen that “NO” its not about there is no money or limited amount. This people that run the industry lack class and detail. I call them “artistes by mistake”
Just take a look at the movie city of god..we Have a lot of Oscar winning stories begging to be told in details, am not even talking about slavery cos people are getting tired of that .we got lots of stories that will give the black diaspora hope. And let people see africa with a different view .that africa is coming of age. The whites, african americans, british americans , have done their best in telling stories about africa, we need to tell our own stories.. We have a lot of best kept secrets ..I prefer lesser movies and more creativity. Thumbs up to the muusic industry for giving the creative industry a bail out. They are promising

4 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by safarigirl(f): 9:29am On Aug 15, 2014
davidif:

Boy, where do I even begin with this post? Is it the playing the 'race card' or the poorly formed argument? I guess the only way to counter arguements in naija is to cherry pick from a small sample or outliers or just resort to attacking other people (in this case, the whites). Horrible diversionary tactic,
I already countered the argument with my posts that followed the one you quoted.

Nigerians will easily agree with anyone who calls everything we do trash, but when you bring up non-trash, they have nothing to say.

Stop with the self-hate, let that Zulu girl and all the other short-sighted people beefing Nollywood go and watch our latest movies, the Desmond Elliot and Emem Isong movies, the Obi-Emelonye movies, the Shelly Frimpong movies and then come back and say anything to us.

Someone is coming to tell me nonsense that an SA movie won an Oscar, and so what? Why should the Oscar matter to anyone? Is it because America awards it that makes it important? So is it until you get a pat on the back from the big white dude that you'll know you're doing good? Must you get validation from someone who knows nothing of your history but has spent centuries brain-washing you into thinking you're beneath him?

Call it whatever you want, but I won't let the West's view of what is quality affect my movie experience. I'll keep watching my Naija movies and let the other brain-washed folks keep watching Twilight and all the other 'white people are better than you' movies

3 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by safarigirl(f): 9:45am On Aug 15, 2014
iamord: Nollywood and their counterpart gollywood are two shameless glorified entities. Forget about its contribution to the economy.. They don't even have a system. If we were to have, a lot of all our so called stars will be broke ass peepz littering the streets. Cos the platform will discover true talents . People think this movie industry is like hand work that your oga brought you to lagos To learn trade..the movie industry is also a platform that displays the creativity of a people summed up together. If I were to put this glorified “woods” on the score card.. They will score ZERO. They don't promote deep thinking, creativity ,awareness and pride in ones country, there are so many flaws in the industry that I have seen that “NO” its not about there is no money or limited amount. This people that run the industry lack class and detail. I call them “artistes by mistake”
Just take a look at the movie city of god..we Have a lot of Oscar winning stories begging to be told in details, am not even talking about slavery cos people are getting tired of that .we got lots of stories that will give the black diaspora hope. And let people see africa with a different view .that africa is coming of age. The whites, african americans, british americans , have done their best in telling stories about africa, we need to tell our own stories.. We have a lot of best kept secrets ..I prefer lesser movies and more creativity. Thumbs up to the muusic industry for giving the creative industry a bail out. They are promising
have you watched Uche Jombo's Damaged: The trilogy?

When you watch that movie, come back and say this, if you haven't, you have no right to say this. I've told all of you to stop following Aba boys and Africa Magic, you haven't watched ONE quality Nollywood movie cuz you refuse to spend.

If you've watched any tell me. I know your likes love to shoot the movie down once it's out. I know the way you lot think "It's going to be crap anyway, no need watching it"

The last time you watched a Nollywood movie was probably in 2008 (I don't mean one from Africa Magic) prove me wrong and tell me any recent movie you've watched. Anything from Kunle Afolayan? Emem Isong? Have you watched Maami? Have you watched Figurine?

You say we don't tell quality stories? Go and watch Maami and tell me if that isn't quality.

Me, I'm tired of watching Hollywood and their repeated storylines. Same old movie, just different names:

Star Wars has been divided into Matrix, Guardians Of the Galaxy, After Earth, Avatar.

World War Z, I Robot, M.I.B- same thing

Twilight, Vampire Diaries, True Blood- same thing

Game of Thrones, Troy, Gladiator, Spartacus- same thing

Hercules (the many versions), Conan The Barbarian (the many versions), The Scorpion King- same thing

James Bond (the many versions), The Bourne Identity (and all the other Bournes), Blade, Mission Impossible- ALL the SAME thing

I know what You Did Last Summer, Friday the 13th, The House on The Haunted Hill, Scream- same thing

Legally Blonde, He's just not that into you- same thing

SpiderMan, IronMan, SuperMan, XMen- same old shi...just a different name

The Notebook, Dear John, The Lakehouse- same thing

....But some people say Nollywood has the same storyline. We must have learnt from Hollywood

5 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Orikinla(m): 12:46pm On Aug 15, 2014
speedyboi: What's this about exactly? Durban film festival.... What's that? Nollywood films screen in much bigger festivals, who cares what South Africans think? They've always been anti-Nigeria, so to hell.

And we Nigerians; in our eyes (in all aspects of life), every kid is the best in the world, except ours. Who've bothered to know what's going on in SA film industry right now? Or what South Africans actually think about their films?

Talk of consistency, why didn't they keep winning oscars after Totsi? Talk about the Oscar sef, They won Oscar once and so effing what?!!! That's 10 years ago, get over it already! Look around, nothing really changed after Totsi.

Not one single Bollywood film has ever won an Oscar, yet Indians are not killing themselves over it. They are not using Oscar to measure their success, infact they don't care about it! Yet, everyone around the world will pick bollywood then take many many steps before even thinking of recognizing our almighty Oscar winning SA industry.

Bottomline is; i don't envy SA cinema! I don't wish Nollywood to be in its shoes. I don't want Nollywood to start making propanga-ridden western stereotypical films, just to attract western audience. That's what SA is doing and most South Africans bash their filmmakers for that and more. Most even use Nigeria as an example for their filmmakers. I don't want an industry without self esteem. I don't care if we keep producing crap, as long as we don't loose ourselves or start making some "shitty Tarzan-like" films. I'm comfortable with Nollywood depicting the typical Nigerian world and i even want them to up that "hip" style, a big NO to some "pity party" films! No way!

I'm sure the day Bollywood will start getting Oscar is when they start making "slum dog nonsense" kinda films where they'll depict some indians struggling to make it. That's the Oscar spirit; if it ain't hollywood, then don't depict a civilized citylife of your country, else no Oscar for you. What they want are films with strong "messages". You know what the message is wink.

Merci. Merci. Merci.
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Orikinla(m): 1:03pm On Aug 15, 2014
Seeing is believing.
We are not only making movies in Nollywood, we are making history.
http://invasion1897movies.com/

2 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Okeikpu(m): 5:45pm On Aug 15, 2014
U surprised me again wit ths ur sermon. I no no say u get sense reach like ds... I think say u dey run speed 4nothing grin. SOUTH AFRICANS R STILL SLAVE....INFERIORITY BYNEDOM IS KILLING DEM SLOWLY.

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Jayboy124: 9:03pm On Aug 15, 2014
safarigirl: have you watched Uche Jombo's Damaged: The trilogy?

When you watch that movie, come back and say this, if you haven't, you have no right to say this. I've told all of you to stop following Aba boys and Africa Magic, you haven't watched ONE quality Nollywood movie cuz you refuse to spend.

If you've watched any tell me. I know your likes love to shoot the movie down once it's out. I know the way you lot think "It's going to be crap anyway, no need watching it"

The last time you watched a Nollywood movie was probably in 2008 (I don't mean one from Africa Magic) prove me wrong and tell me any recent movie you've watched. Anything from Kunle Afolayan? Emem Isong? Have you watched Maami? Have you watched Figurine?

You say we don't tell quality stories? Go and watch Maami and tell me if that isn't quality.

Me, I'm tired of watching Hollywood and their repeated storylines. Same old movie, just different names:

Star Wars has been divided into Matrix, Guardians Of the Galaxy, After Earth, Avatar.

Hercules (the many versions), Conan The Barbarian (the many versions), The Scorpion King- same thing

James Bond (the many versions), The Bourne Identity (and all the other Bournes), Blade, Mission Impossible- ALL the SAME thing

I know what You Did Last Summer, Friday the 13th, The House on The Haunted Hill, Scream- same thing

....But some people say Nollywood has the same storyline. We must have learnt from Hollywood

You didn't mention many of the Oscar-nominated and Oscar-winning films?

Hollywood makes big budget average films. These films are made for the money they'll make at the box office. Examples are most of the movies you mentioned.

Then there are films that are relatively big budget but made strictly for awards, recognitions and all that.

Then there are the low-budget films that mostly go to Sundance and the other festivals. Hopefully, they'll be picked up by major distributors.

A lot of our big films are so overhyped. Most of them are crap. Not like crap crap. But crap cuz of the expectation and hype that surrounds them.

Hollywood has taught us to keep 'recycling stories'.

I hope they have also taught us to make beautiful films like WOWS, Gravity, American Hustle, Her, Midnight in Paris, Blue Jasmine, Nebraska, Captain Philips, Inside Llewyn Davis et al.
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Jayboy124: 9:14pm On Aug 15, 2014
safarigirl:

Kunle Afolayan, Leila Djansi, Chinaeze and some others are actually very good oh. I could pay money to see their films in a cinema without actually seeing a trailer. Just so you know I'm not saying all Nollywood films aren't cool.
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by davidif: 5:44pm On Aug 16, 2014
safarigirl: have you watched Uche Jombo's Damaged: The trilogy?

Hahaha, what a flawed and biased argument? You cherry pick from a very small sample size what in your Opinion are the best nollywood movies movies and you want to use that to say that Nollywood is really good. Typical of naija people in an argument, they try to use outliers to win arguments by pretending that they are the norm. Stop pretending that those so called "Aba movies" or "Africa Magic" are not the norm or try to sweep them under the rug. It's like saying that Nigeria is a rich country based on some of the few elites who show off their wealth and live in opulence.

Also, to continue to show you how poor and very one sided your arguement is, you said you were tired of Hollywood recycling the same thing over and again (oh, the irony) then you go on to mention the different movies as examples. Well, lady, those are what you call genres so they are going to have similar themes.
In case you didn't know what a genre was, let me give you an example of the types of genres, there is romance, science fiction, horror, Action and under this genres you have other sub genres like the war movies, epic movies, romantic comedies, the spy genres, super hero genre etc.
So you have all this varieties to chose from as opposed to your nollywood movies where there is very little variation. A Nollywood fan should be the last person criticizing other people for lack of originality.

2 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by safarigirl(f): 7:11pm On Aug 16, 2014
davidif:

Hahaha, what a flawed and biased argument? You cherry pick from a very small sample size what in your Opinion are the best nollywood movies movies and you want to use that to say that Nollywood is really good. Typical of naija people in an argument, they try to use outliers to win arguments by pretending that they are the norm. Stop pretending that those so called "Aba movies" or "Africa Magic" are not the norm or try to sweep them under the rug. It's like saying that Nigeria is a rich country based on some of the few elites who show off their wealth and live in opulence.

Also, to continue to show you how poor and very one sided your arguement is, you said you were tired of Hollywood recycling the same thing over and again (oh, the irony) then you go on to mention the different movies as examples. Well, lady, those are what you call genres so they are going to have similar themes.
In case you didn't know what a genre was, let me give you an example of the types of genres, there is romance, science fiction, horror, Action and under this genres you have other sub genres like the war movies, epic movies, romantic comedies, the spy genres, super hero genre etc.
So you have all this varieties to chose from as opposed to your nollywood movies where there is very little variation. A Nollywood fan should be the last person criticizing other people for lack of originality.
if you know the amount of people in America that are into movie production, you won't ask me that unforgivably d.umb question.

What I just did was pick out all the nonsensical one-storyline movies in Hollywood, just like you Nollywood haters only pick out the bad movies.

We can go on and on about this. Cuz Hollywood has shitty movies just like Nollywood, that you don't see them doesn't mean they don't exist. They surely won't show you all their low budget movies, only the big budget ones.

Now tell me, how many big budget movies do we have? The market I'd flooded with low busget movies, even movies we classify high budget movies aren't even close to middle budget in Hollywood.

Did you invest in Nollywood and they gave you crap? All you self-loathing lot know how to do is criticise, no form of meaningful contribution, just mindless citicisms.

Give them the nomey you give Hollywood and see if they won't do better. You want good movies when you can't sacrifice 1,500 to watch cinema productions, you all need to start being realistic or shut the f?ck up.

And next time you want to quote me, space your rant well, don't expect me to read your jammed epistle
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by davidif: 7:32pm On Aug 16, 2014
safarigirl: if you know the amount of people in America that are into movie production, you won't ask me that unforgivably d.umb question.

What I just did was pick out all the nonsensical one-storyline movies in Hollywood, just like you Nollywood haters only pick out the bad movies.

We can go on and on about this. Cuz Hollywood has shitty movies just like Nollywood, that you don't see them doesn't mean they don't exist. They surely won't show you all their low budget movies, only the big budget ones.

Now tell me, how many big budget movies do we have? The market I'd flooded with low busget movies, even movies we classify high budget movies aren't even close to middle budget in Hollywood.

Did you invest in Nollywood and they gave you crap? All you self-loathing lot know how to do is criticise, no form of meaningful contribution, just mindless citicisms.

Give them the nomey you give Hollywood and see if they won't do better. You want good movies when you can't sacrifice 1,500 to watch cinema productions, you all need to start being realistic or shut the f?ck up.

And next time you want to quote me, space your rant well, don't expect me to read your jammed epistle

Is this your rebuttal? what a poor one. Instead of addressing my points, you go on a tangent and resort to personally attacking me (typical of Nigerians). You people just seem to find it hard at times to have civil discourse because you have to resort to insults and shouting people down in other to win arguements.
I am done with this.

3 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Nobody: 12:33pm On Aug 21, 2014
Most people still don't get the point. No one said Nollywood is the best thing since slice bread.

Btw, judging from blackberry babes examples that many people here are giving, it shows most are not even qualified to talk about the industry cos they are not really aware of present situations. They are the Africa Magic fans.

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Nobody: 12:48pm On Aug 21, 2014
Obi1kenobi:

It's the most annoying thing about many Nigerians. Any criticism is met with defensive hostility and paranoia. The guy's comments are a joke but he has almost 60 "likes" so far from like-minded people.
that's because they got the real point of the post, which shallow-minded people like you just can never get. Just so you know, I heavily criticize Nollywood films too.

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Nobody: 1:23pm On Aug 21, 2014
Jayboy124:

You didn't mention many of the Oscar-nominated and Oscar-winning films?

Hollywood makes big budget average films. These films are made for the money they'll make at the box office. Examples are most of the movies you mentioned.

Then there are films that are relatively big budget but made strictly for awards, recognitions and all that.

Then there are the low-budget films that mostly go to Sundance and the other festivals. Hopefully, they'll be picked up by major distributors.

A lot of our big films are so overhyped. Most of them are crap. Not like crap crap. But crap cuz of the expectation and hype that surrounds them.

Hollywood has taught us to keep 'recycling stories'.

I hope they have also taught us to make beautiful films like WOWS, Gravity, American Hustle, Her, Midnight in Paris, Blue Jasmine, Nebraska, Captain Philips, Inside Llewyn Davis et al.

@bolded, i didn't see you lot mention the AMA Award nominated/winning films either. Abi did "kukere babes" get one nomination at BON awards? Talkless of AMAA. The funny thing about the argument of proholly vs pronolly is that: when hollywood is accused of doing certain things, you play the card of people being biased. But you guys are never fair and reasonable when you bash Nollywood either. If I'm not missing anything, I'd say na confusion dey worry all of una.
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Jayboy124: 11:08pm On Aug 21, 2014
speedyboi:

@bolded, i didn't see you lot mention the AMA Award nominated/winning films either. Abi did "kukere babes" get one nomination at BON awards? Talkless of AMAA. The funny thing about the argument of proholly vs pronolly is that: when hollywood is accused of doing certain things, you play the card of people being biased. But you guys are never fair and reasonable when you bash Nollywood either. If I'm not missing anything, I'd say na confusion dey worry all of una.

You must have missed this. I posted immediately I posted the first one.

"Kunle Afolayan, Leila Djansi, Chinaeze and some others are actually very good oh. I could pay money to see their films in a cinema without actually seeing a trailer. Just so you know I'm not saying all Nollywood films aren't cool."
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Jayboy124: 11:08pm On Aug 21, 2014
speedyboi:

You must have missed this. I posted immediately after I posted the first one.

"Kunle Afolayan, Leila Djansi, Chinaeze and some others are actually very good oh. I could pay money to see their films in a cinema without actually seeing a trailer. Just so you know I'm not saying all Nollywood films aren't cool."
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by iamord(m): 7:36am On Aug 22, 2014
Jayboy124:

You must have missed this. I posted immediately I posted the first one.

Those set u mentioned make standard movies. But have u heard the rants of kunle and leila of their regrets making movies back here. Note- leila djansi is a ghanaian

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Jayboy124: 9:26am On Aug 22, 2014
iamord:

Those set u mentioned make standard movies. But have u heard the rants of kunle and leila of their regrets making movies back here. Note- leila djansi is a ghanaian

When I saw Ties That Bind at GDC, I started living in this fantasy that she's Nollywood. Hope that makes sense to you.

My point is this - Hollywood makes crappy films. So does Nollywood, only that Nollywood makes a lot more crappy films.

Even though I try not talk more about the crappy movies and focus more on the good ones, it shouldn't make me live in denial.

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by iamord(m): 10:51am On Aug 22, 2014
Jayboy124:

When I saw Ties That Bind at GDC, I started living in this fantasy that she's Nollywood. Hope that makes sense to you.

My point is this - Hollywood makes crappy films. So does Nollywood, only that Nollywood makes a lot more crappy films.

Even though I try not talk more about the crappy movies and focus more on the good ones, it shouldn't make me live in denial.

Well I understand! There seem to be a few of them doing good in the industry, but I want to point out something clearly. sometime back I posted something here blasting nollywood and gollywood! Someone blasted me for that. I need tto sum up my. Claim.. U see, this gollywood and nollywood Don't have a system! That's what matters, first and Foremost I see no reason why we cannot stand Out and use a. Different name. Instead of all this wood. The so called ttinapa movie studio that I thought would brighten up the movie industry is just decaying and no one can afford it. The goverment that is talkng about financing the. Nollywood .. Its all. Going into personal pockets.. I watched. A programme on the actors. Guild. Of. Nigeria. I was. So ashamed.. ! This. Old people need to get out of the system for the people. That now how! To run The job. Am also aspiring to be a director. so I know quality job when I See one. The movie industry is vast and can employ different spelizations..I have the plan down but it can't fit into this present system .U Can't use 5 movies or so to equate that The Industry is Coming of age! There are types of movies we will create that I will know that now directors r thinking. For now.. Let's just keep quite and work!
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Nobody: 11:12am On Aug 22, 2014
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:07am On Aug 23, 2014
I can never compare Hollywood and "Nollywood". That's insane stupidity. It would be as stupid as comparing America and Nigeria. They're day and night. Darkness and Light. Total polar opposites.

All the defensive ramblings here don't detract from the astonishing mediocrity of Nollywood. It's painful to watch. And yes, I've seen some of the parrotted Afolayan, Isong and co films and while they may be the best of the mediocrity the indusry has to offer, they couldn't come close to top international films from Hong Kong cinema, Brazil, or India or even the South Africa Nigerians hilariously like to feel superior to(in your dreams). I wouldn't even dare put it in the same sentence as Hollywood to make a comparison. The greatest problem of the Nigerian film industry is the total lack of organization and the lack of professionalism to truly set the industry apart from the marketers and traders that run the industry like they do Alaba market. Or the actors who only see the industry as a meal-ticket - often because they have nothing else to do with their lives. It's the same lack of integrated planning you see in many sectors in Nigeria - where everyone can make their own rules. They don't live for the passion of producing something truly brilliant and original. They're incapable of doing anything which stimulates the audience intellectually or really educates them about the deeper issues of the world. Big budget films, requiring big investment of money and time to craft something worthwhile, can't be produced because it's not a well regulated industry that could pool scarce resources for a few ambitious project rather than mutiple garbage low-budget productions- as long as they can profit on making weekly home videos for a profit to their Idumota trader masters that run the industry.

It's a shame the best African movies have to be shot by foreigners. Or South Africans. Movies like Hotel Rwanda or Sarafina tell the stories that Nollywood are incapable of telling. The few attempts at such things I've seen have been highly underwhelming. So we have to go back to the comfort zone of 50 Mr. Ibu or Osuofia or Olu Jacob movies every year. What a shame.

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:25am On Aug 23, 2014
I remember a few months ago, I watched the 2-part South African comedy "Gods must be crazy". A pretty old film that developed a cult following across the world. The Sans bushmen of the Kalahari who were featured as major actors in the film were complete amateurs who had had little contact with modern civilization, talkless of acting experience. The film was basically a satire on how uncivilized the modern world seemed to those Bushmen. But they produced an absolute masterpiece - shot in documentary style by the director. That's what the proper production, directing, and cinematography can do. Finding a way to really communicate with the audience to experience things from a different, original vantage point. I've seen very few South African films but the ones I've seen are far better than our local content. Flooding the market with poor quality films is nothing to brag about but Nigerians believe it's something to brag about. Create a more organized, better regulated industry. Create competent film schools like those abroad to train the production teams and the actors. Hold regularly local and international summits to know how you can improve and churn out better acclaimed, more respected products. Consult with stakeholders and investors to support the ambitious projects of the industry - and abandon the Upper-Iweka and Idumota traders who run it. Aspire to churn out quality rather than quantity. Aspire to produce more ambitious projects discussing more serious issues that stimulate an adult mind - I don't need you producing movies with a children's "tales by moonlight" moral or religious lesson at the end. We aren't kids.

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by iamord(m): 11:27am On Aug 23, 2014
Obi1kenobi: I can never compare Hollywood and "Nollywood". That's insane stupidity. It would be as stupid as comparing America and Nigeria. They're day and night. Darkness and Light. Total polar opposites.

All the defensive ramblings here don't detract from the astonishing mediocrity of Nollywood. It's painful to watch. And yes, I've seen some of the parrotted Afolayan, Isong and co films and while they may be the best of the mediocrity the indusry has to offer, they couldn't come close to top international films from Hong Kong cinema, Brazil, or India or even the South Africa Nigerians hilariously like to feel superior to(in your dreams). I wouldn't even dare put it in the same sentence as Hollywood to make a comparison. The greatest problem of the Nigerian film industry is the total lack of organization and the lack of professionalism to truly set the industry apart from the marketers and traders that run the industry like they do Alaba market. Or the actors who only see the industry as a meal-ticket - often because they have nothing else to do with their lives. It's the same lack of integrated planning you see in many sectors in Nigeria - where everyone can make their own rules. They don't live for the passion of producing something truly brilliant and original. They're incapable of doing anything which stimulates the audience intellectually or really educates them about the deeper issues of the world. Big budget films, requiring big investment of money and time to craft something worthwhile, can't be produced because it's not a well regulated industry that could pool scarce resources for a few ambitious project rather than mutiple garbage low-budget productions- as long as they can profit on making weekly home videos for a profit to their Idumota trader masters that run the industry.

It's a shame the best African movies have to be shot by foreigners. Or South Africans. Movies like Hotel Rwanda or Sarafina tell the stories that Nollywood are incapable of telling. The few attempts at such things I've seen have been highly underwhelming. So we have to go back to the comfort zone of 50 Mr. Ibu or Osuofia or Olu Jacob movies every year. What a shame.

A zillion likes for this Chairman. You have said all I have been Trying to put up. U don't need to go flashy to tell stories. City of God from brazil, totsi and Ortelo burning from south africa is a very good example. And pls isong is overrated. And u need to hear afoloyans rantings of directing movies in Nigeria to make you know That the nollywood industry is a gloryfied sham. A lot of this so called actors, actreresses are just following goodluck and his cohorts About so we no fit hear word

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

BBNaija: Housemates Nominated For Possible Eviction On Sunday / Big Brother Naija Vs Gulder Ultimate Search; Which Is More Interesting? / Profile Of Chichi, Bbnaija Season 7 Housemate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.