Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,811 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:07 AM

Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest (25046 Views)

Durban Invites All Short Filmmmakers To Submit Entries For 6th Talent Campus / Viewing Nigerian Tv Stations Is Like A Nightmare / The Durban Youth In Film Society Presents The Durban Short Film Challenge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Lordlexyy: 9:52pm On Aug 13, 2014
nextstep: The movie critique is missing two critical pieces:

1. We like our Nollywood. With all it's flaws, it is ours; it entertains, employs and sustains us. We've seen it improve over the years and there are now some movies that would rival some of the critiques' choices and even some of the movies that come out of Hollywood ("Last Flight to Abuja" and "The Meeting", come to mind)

2. Nollywood is not about making movies for western tastes. Can you imagine "Egusi with isi ewu and stock fish" winning culinary awards in an event dominated by French judges? But shall we then insult our food for not being a critique's choice? Mba nu.

They can take their awards. We'll keep our homegrown industry that employs us jare.
And how has the Nolly wood influence our lives with their conspiracy tales? It's mediocare to exalt Nolly wood with flaws evident for all to see. The idea is to sell our story lines to the outside with well scripted and presentable movies(except offcourse we are contented with being local champions with massive production and no substance). Exactly what is there to take from Nolly wood other than repeated story lines from one producer to another. South African movie is light ahead of this so call Nolly wood. In all honesty, how many serious minded Nigerians dedicate their spare time watching Nolly wood film other than full house wives who used to hold their husbands hostage and their mother in laws ransome?

6 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Nobody: 10:38pm On Aug 13, 2014
“is it not better to produce nothing than to produce crap?”
This quote should be pasted on the wall of every screening room in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by poiZon: 10:58pm On Aug 13, 2014
speedyboi: What's this about exactly? Durban film festival.... What's that? Nollywood films screen in much bigger festivals, who cares what South Africans think? They've always been anti-Nigeria, so to hell.

And we Nigerians; in our eyes (in all aspects of life), every kid is the best in the world, except ours. Who've bothered to know what's going on in SA film industry right now? Or what South Africans actually think about their films?

Talk of consistency, why didn't they keep winning oscars after Totsi? Talk about the Oscar sef, They won Oscar once and so effing what?!!! That's 10 years ago, get over it already! Look around, nothing really changed after Totsi.

Not one single Bollywood film has ever won an Oscar, yet Indians are not killing themselves over it. They are not using Oscar to measure their success, infact they don't care about it! Yet, everyone around the world will pick bollywood then take many many steps before even thinking of recognizing our almighty Oscar winning SA industry.

Bottomline is; i don't envy SA cinema! I don't wish Nollywood to be in its shoes. I don't want Nollywood to start making propanga-ridden western stereotypical films, just to attract western audience. That's what SA is doing and most South Africans bash their filmmakers for that and more. Most even use Nigeria as an example for their filmmakers. I don't want an industry without self esteem. I don't care if we keep producing crap, as long as we don't loose ourselves or start making some "shitty Tarzan-like" films. I'm comfortable with Nollywood depicting the typical Nigerian world and i even want them to up that "hip" style, a big NO to some "pity party" films! No way!

I'm sure the day Bollywood will start getting Oscar is when they start making "slum dog nonsense" kinda films where they'll depict some indians struggling to make it. That's the Oscar spirit; if it ain't hollywood, then don't depict a civilized citylife of your country, else no Oscar for you. What they want are films with strong "messages". You know what the message is wink.

God bless u OP, Sorry no be u be op. who cares abt what they aparthiedians think abt us? sofar say our crap dey make bad boy celebs n put ego in dat IGBO BOY pocket for alaba n also add to our economy, WHO CARES!

Nna na waoh!
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Aida13: 11:15pm On Aug 13, 2014
I'm not surprised the Nigerian movie industry is light years behind everyone else, even in Africa. When half-schooled traders are moneyballing the industry, what do you expect. There is no true artistry in the whole system. They just depend on this or that face to sell a movie. There will never be a movie good enough to compete on any level, whether in filming, storyline or acting. As for me, I make do with watching the odd [size=14pt]Jenifa [/size]movie grin grin grin I prefer to watch such movies; it keeps my expectations low and I'm only in it for the laughs anyway.

5 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by TWEETFELLA: 11:24pm On Aug 13, 2014
safarigirl: A thousand gbosas to speedyboi for that awesome post abeg.

SA movies are extremely boring cuz they only shoot what Westerners like. No originality at all, nothing hip and fun. All their movies are either based on apartheid, drug abuse or some other shitty problem people would rather forget.

They're little pawns, the Western worl isn't interested in a civilized Africa, they only love watching woe-unto-I movies like Mandela, war and propaganda movies like that nonsensically boring Black Gold and ridiculous movies like Mr. Bones.

In fact, Osuofia in London was so famous cuz it depicted an impossibly uncivilized African in the Western World, which is exactly what they want to see
those lips sha...where did u get them from
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Nobody: 11:37pm On Aug 13, 2014

SA movies are extremely boring cuz they only shoot what Westerners like. No originality at all, nothing hip and fun. All their movies are either based on apartheid, drug abuse or some other shitty problem people would rather forget.

They're little pawns, the Western worl isn't interested in a civilized Africa, they only love watching woe-unto-I movies like Mandela, war and propaganda movies like that nonsensically boring Black Gold and ridiculous movies like Mr. Bones.

In fact, Osuofia in London was so famous cuz it depicted an impossibly uncivilized African in the Western World,
which is exactly what they want to see

You guys are crazy!!! Really, hip and fun? Nollywood is the one selling on uncivilized, fetish and craziness manner of Africans, with lots of voodoo, rowdy girls whoring for money and other stupid staff. Just because you cannot relate to the South African diverse culture does not mean it is not there. SA movies are reality based not some cooked up horror night stories like Nollywood, with loud old man and women acting like primary school kids. cheesy

Mr bones is 20 something years old and its comedy. Please let Nollywood continue to produce garbage as long as they make money but believe it will always be called garbage, because garbage's other namee is " garbage" with money or not. KAPISH!!!

6 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Justcash(m): 11:56pm On Aug 13, 2014
@ Op; While I have to admit that you have a valid point, I must also point out that your criticism is too narrow because you surprisingly omitted the dichotomy between "Quality" and "Cost". More still, your focus on quality completely negated the philosophy upon which creativity is embedded. So, does the fact that Nollywood movies are of low quality imply that the creativity is missing? Does it mean that there are no embedded meanings in our movies? The crux of acting and shooting movies is to communicate. Is this factor missing in Nollywood? If you say yes, I will totally disagree with you because the most "crappy" Nollywood movies gat messages that they want to pass.
Meanwhile, how come you deliberately avoided the issues of socio-economic viability of movie production when trying to make such an international comparison? I remember watching Indian movies, they were totally crap, but they made sense and sold globally. If you can reduce the cost of movie production and make sales while passing the same message in a cheaper movie, would you ignore that just because you want to compete with South Africans? Meanwhile, who told you that "Half of a Yellow Sun" is a half British production? Going by your logic, how many South African Movies are really African?
YOU MUST LEARN TO ARGUE OBJECTIVELY. NIGERIANS ARE NOT IDIOTS.

5 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Nobody: 12:00am On Aug 14, 2014
RoyalRoy:

and you with all your space consuming name could not stand up for your country. I will never believe a South African Movie will ever make sense more than a Naija one with their poor diction and acting. They may be way ahead on soap operas and series but not in a regular movie.

And you sat there taking all the biased bashing and you still have the guts to come home and lament ? Shame on You.

South Africa poorer diction and acting? Smh!

Only thank God that there institutions and people out there who are hell bent to protect genuine forms of art and as for Naija, they will fake and commercialize everything from music, film, drugs, pharmaceutical drugs, vaccines, voodoo, humans, ukwu, skin colour and even God. If you want to accept Christ to change your life bring 200k and I will lead you to Christ. Is the nothing sacred for Nigeria? Money is worshiped to hell with anything else.

Btw, the guy did not say the critics of Nollywood were South Africans, its just that the festival was in SA. it could be anyone from anywhere. The south African critic was criticizing the SA flm.

And when did film critics become bashers? If you cannot stand the heat get out of the kitchen. Nollywood should not take part in film festivals if they cannot take criticism. Period!

8 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Ik09: 12:26am On Aug 14, 2014
Why do we Nigerians like to celebrate mediocrity --all in the name of patriotism?!

While I admit that criticism is inherently subjective, you'd have to be blind to think that Nollywood movies are anything but subpar.

Filmmaking is a lot more than having a story to tell -knowing HOW to tell that story is just as important. Everything in a typical Nollywood movie from the dialogue, camerawork, editing and even the audio is ridiculous. Yet, we Nigerians will applaud it like it was a masterpiece.

Frankly, I think our film industry has become too comfortable. We keep repeating the drivel about being the 3rd largest, as though releasing thousands of shabby movies every year is something to celebrate. Meanwhile, there haven't been any improvements artistically in Nollywood since the 90's.

6 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by iamord(m): 12:33am On Aug 14, 2014

In fact, Osuofia in London was so famous cuz it depicted an impossibly uncivilized African in the Western World, which is exactly what they want to see

I don't agree on that.m go and watch totsi and jerusalema

3 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by iamord(m): 12:35am On Aug 14, 2014
BluIvy:

You guys are crazy!!! Really, hip and fun? Nollywood is the one selling on uncivilized, fetish and craziness manner of Africans, with lots of voodoo, rowdy girls whoring for money and other stupid staff. Just because you cannot relate to the South African diverse culture does not mean it is not there. SA movies are reality based not some cooked up horror night stories like Nollywood, with loud old man and women acting like primary school kids. cheesy

Mr bones is 20 something years old and its comedy. Please let Nollywood continue to produce garbage as long as they make money but believe it will always be called garbage, because garbage's other namee is " garbage" with money or not. KAPISH!!!
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Nobody: 1:36am On Aug 14, 2014
Hopefully one day, they will get there!
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Obi1kenobi(m): 1:59am On Aug 14, 2014
speedyboi: What's this about exactly? Durban film festival.... What's that? Nollywood films screen in much bigger festivals, who cares what South Africans think? They've always been anti-Nigeria, so to hell.

And we Nigerians; in our eyes (in all aspects of life), every kid is the best in the world, except ours. Who've bothered to know what's going on in SA film industry right now? Or what South Africans actually think about their films?

Talk of consistency, why didn't they keep winning oscars after Totsi? Talk about the Oscar sef, They won Oscar once and so effing what?!!! That's 10 years ago, get over it already! Look around, nothing really changed after Totsi.

Not one single Bollywood film has ever won an Oscar, yet Indians are not killing themselves over it. They are not using Oscar to measure their success, infact they don't care about it! Yet, everyone around the world will pick bollywood then take many many steps before even thinking of recognizing our almighty Oscar winning SA industry.

Bottomline is; i don't envy SA cinema! I don't wish Nollywood to be in its shoes. I don't want Nollywood to start making propanga-ridden western stereotypical films, just to attract western audience. That's what SA is doing and most South Africans bash their filmmakers for that and more. Most even use Nigeria as an example for their filmmakers. I don't want an industry without self esteem. I don't care if we keep producing crap, as long as we don't loose ourselves or start making some "shitty Tarzan-like" films. I'm comfortable with Nollywood depicting the typical Nigerian world and i even want them to up that "hip" style, a big NO to some "pity party" films! No way!

I'm sure the day Bollywood will start getting Oscar is when they start making "slum dog nonsense" kinda films where they'll depict some indians struggling to make it. That's the Oscar spirit; if it ain't hollywood, then don't depict a civilized citylife of your country, else no Oscar for you. What they want are films with strong "messages". You know what the message is wink.
You clearly don't get the bone of contention. Nobody is asking Nollywood to shoot movies portraying Nigerians as forest-dwelling cannibals. They're asking that Nollywood makes films of substance that portray our culture, history, politics etc to the world and do it with competence, assiduous attention to detail and professionalism. Not the garbage that is financed and churned out by Idumota and Upper-Iweka marketers. All this chest-beating doesn't negate the fact that to anyone who knows anything worthwhile about films, Nollywood is little more than an embarrassing caricature of our society. We consume it because it's all we have. The same way we endure our misery in Nigeria because it's all we have. That doesn't mean we should laud what deserves criticism.

Where are Nollywood movies about pre-colonial Nigerian history? Where are Nollywood movies about important figures in Nigerian history - both pre and post-colonial? Where are movies about the civil war? About political turmoil since independence? About the cultural impact of colonialism? About stimulating topics of conversation in our day to day lives? About professionals (lawyers, doctors, policemen etc) in their line of work? Any attempt at anything remotely stimulating to the intellect in Nigerian movies often reveals how far behind we really are. I've seen black-and-white American and European movies from the 1930's that accomplish feats in technical proficiency that no Nigerian movie can come close to matching. You can view some Youtube clips of Charlie Chaplin if you doubt this. The first step to rectifying such a problem is an admission of shortcomings. Many Nigerians like you choose the path of empty chest-beating arrogance as if that will solve the problems.

13 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Obi1kenobi(m): 2:14am On Aug 14, 2014
I mean, you don't even have to go as far as Hollywood who are a century ahead of us. I've watched some visually stunning Chinese/Hong Kong movies that attract a huge Western following. The acting may be lacking a bit compared to Hollywood but the cinematography and directing are fantastic and they often portray mature themes along the lines of the various reigning dynasties of ancient China, their wars with imperial Japan etc. Comparatively, all we see in Nollywood is sitting room drama that I could have written in primary school.

Even in India (and I mostly hate Bollywood movies), they may be lacking in the technical proficiecy of Hollywood, but they're leagues ahead of Nigeria. Several leagues ahead! What they may lack in substance, they make up for in sheer dramatic effect, pageantry and very importantly, glamour. The heroes/heroines of their dramas are so visually striking and it's effective in a fantasy portrayal, particularly in romance. Nigerian movies don't even have any real glamour or colour to them. Even seemingly trivial things like the looks department, they fail woefully.

The thing about Nigerian movies is people have been so long exposed to crude nonsense that they've come to accept it as something of quality. That's the reason the industry cannot see real change. If consumers are so highly supportive of what is clearly a very inferior product, then those Idumota and Upper-Iweka marketers making big money from their incompetnce have no real motivation to invest in a better product.

8 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by davidif: 2:20am On Aug 14, 2014

Why are some Nigerians always so close minded and defensive when it comes to criticisms? How do you expect to learn and grow when you attack anyone that criticizes you or justify your flaws and faults all the time? O ga o.

What is so artistic about "blackberry babes" Or "skelewu babes". Pray do tell me?

You say South African movies are overrated, when has Nollywood ever produced anything like 'District 9' before? Please do tell me. Naija people self. Una pride and ego sef, na wa o.

8 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Obi1kenobi(m): 2:25am On Aug 14, 2014
Making matters worse is the fact there is barely any improvement, if any, in about 20 years of operation. I grew up in the mid-90's watching the films of Joke Silva and Liz Benson shot by the likes of the Ejiro brothers, the Amatas, Teco Benson etc and they're arguably better than the thrash Blackberry Babes, Kukere Babes etc nonsense that I see on movie posters in the street these days. You could argue the film-making equipment are a bit better (naturally, electronic technology advances a lot in a short time) and consequently, you have clearer pictures, but the film-making process hasn't improved. I'm referring to the writing, the directing, the acting, the costuming etc. It's just embarrassing. angry

4 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Obi1kenobi(m): 2:27am On Aug 14, 2014
davidif:

Why are some Nigerians always so close minded and defensive when it comes to criticisms? How do you expect to learn and grow when you attack anyone that criticizes you or justify your flaws and faults all the time? O ga o.

What is so artistic about "blackberry babes" Or "skelewu babes". Pray do tell me?
You don't need to make a western themed to make a movie. Naija people self. Na wa for una o.

It's the most annoying thing about many Nigerians. Any criticism is met with defensive hostility and paranoia. The guy's comments are a joke but he has almost 60 "likes" so far from like-minded people.

7 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by VillageBoi(m): 2:31am On Aug 14, 2014
anonimi: Genevieve Nnaji said something similar about the need to up our game in Nollywood and was criticized by many on this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/1800723/movie-director-blasts-genevieve-nnaji
The thing with we Nigerians is you DARE NOT criticise Nigerians or Nigeria or we will blow a gasket.

7 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by davidif: 2:40am On Aug 14, 2014
RoyalRoy:

and you with all your space consuming name could not stand up for your country. I will never believe a South African Movie will ever make sense more than a Naija one with their poor diction and acting. They may be way ahead on soap operas and series but not in a regular movie.

And you sat there taking all the biased bashing and you still have the guts to come home and lament ? Shame on You.

Wow!!! So you are now resorting to personally attacking him because he doesn't share your combative, misguided and aggressive notion of patriotism?

Why are some of you Nigerians always so close minded and defensive when it comes to criticism? How do you expect to learn and grow when you attack anyone that criticizes you or justify your flaws and faults all the time?

Pray, do tell me What is so artistic about "kukere babes" Or "skelewu babes"? Naija people self, na wa for una o.

2 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by davidif: 2:54am On Aug 14, 2014
Obi1kenobi:
You clearly don't get the bone of contention. Nobody is asking Nollywood to shoot movies portraying Nigerians as forest-dwelling cannibals. They're asking that Nollywood makes films of substance that portray our culture, history, politics etc to the world and do it with competence, assiduous attention to detail and professionalism. Not the garbage that is financed and churned out by Idumota and Upper-Iweka marketers. All this chest-beating doesn't negate the fact that to anyone who knows anything worthwhile about films, Nollywood is little more than an embarrassing caricature of our society. We consume it because it's all we have. The same way we endure our misery in Nigeria because it's all we have. That doesn't mean we should laud what deserves criticism.

Where are Nollywood movies about pre-colonial Nigerian history? Where are Nollywood movies about important figures in Nigerian history - both pre and post-colonial? Where are movies about the civil war? About political turmoil since independence? About the cultural impact of colonialism? About stimulating topics of conversation in our day to day lives? About professionals (lawyers, doctors, policemen etc) in their line of work? Any attempt at anything remotely stimulating to the intellect in Nigerian movies often reveals how far behind we really are. I've seen black-and-white American and European movies from the 1930's that accomplish feats in technical proficiency that no Nigerian movie can come close to matching. You can view some Youtube clips of Charlie Chaplin if you doubt this. The first step to rectifying such a problem is an admission of shortcomings. Many Nigerians like you choose the path of empty chest-beating arrogance as if that will solve the problems.

Man, I wish I could give you a ridiculous number of likes.
There is so much content to write about buy instead they would rather pander to the masses and make thrash like "kukere babes" and the like.

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by kenraj(m): 3:28am On Aug 14, 2014
@ Speedyboy, Villageboi, Ikamenze, sholay2011 and nextstep....

You guys made really matured, concise and explicit points. I admire your maturity at corrections and not apportioning blames or using derogatory and vulgar languages on each other after admitting your errors. It's people like you that can make us grow wise and correctional and not some boastful lads who acts as "know it all" on this forum.

Kudos to you guys and more grease to your shoulders for your points and rendering apologies where you all went wrong.

3 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Nobody: 4:14am On Aug 14, 2014
VillageBoi:
The thing with we Nigerians is you DARE NOT criticise Nigerians or Nigeria or we will blow a gasket.

Narcissistic / Narcissism -

Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental disorder in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance and a deep need for admiration.

Those with narcissistic personality disorder believe that they're superior to others and have little regard for other people's feelings.

But behind this mask of ultra-confidence lies a fragile self-esteem, vulnerable to the slightest criticism.

What I would not know is whether a personality disorder could be assigned to a larger group of people? Because this disorder best explains most Nigerians to me.

4 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by VillageBoi(m): 4:43am On Aug 14, 2014
kenraj: @ Speedyboy, Villageboi, Ikamenze, sholay2011 and nextstep....

You guys made really matured, concise and explicit points. I admire your maturity at corrections and not apportioning blames or using derogatory and vulgar languages on each other after admitting your errors. It's people like you that can make us grow wise and correctional and not some boastful lads who acts as "know it all" on this forum.

Kudos to you guys and more grease to your shoulders for your points and rendering apologies where you all went wrong.
Thanks for that. That was a really nice thing to say. Hopefully we will all keep on doing our best or trying to.
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by TonySpike: 4:52am On Aug 14, 2014
Obi1kenobi: Making matters worse is the fact there is barely any improvement, if any, in about 20 years of operation. I grew up in the mid-90's watching the films of Joke Silva and Liz Benson shot by the likes of the Ejiro brothers, the Amatas, Teco Benson etc and they're arguably better than the thrash Blackberry Babes, Kukere Babes etc nonsense that I see on movie posters in the street these days. You could argue the film-making equipment are a bit better (naturally, electronic technology advances a lot in a short time) and consequently, you have clearer pictures, but the film-making process hasn't improved. I'm referring to the writing, the directing, the acting, the costuming etc. It's just embarrassing. angry

Bro, it's called madness: doing the same thing repeatedly in the same way. No innovation, no creativity, no diversity, poor logic and zero technicalities: that's the description for majority of the Nollywood movies in the public domain. This is exactly what happens when we have a clique-like and mafia-run movie industry with mediocres who have no ambition or vision. To me, watching nollywood movies is a way of suppressing my IQ, it takes away knowledge I have acquired over the years and replaces it with emptiness.

3 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by VillageBoi(m): 5:42am On Aug 14, 2014
BluIvy:
But behind this mask of ultra-confidence lies a fragile self-esteem, vulnerable to the slightest criticism.

What I would not know is whether a personality disorder could be assigned to a larger group of people? Because this disorder best explains most Nigerians to me.
Interesting post.

Especially as artists I don't think criticism is an easy thing to take but we do have find out how to evaluate such. The second we put our work out there the criticism can't be avoided... how we respond to it is pretty important. You rightly point out that 'behind the mask of ultra-confidence is a fragile self-esteem' and that is true of most artists... we do constantly wonder 'is this (the work) good enough?' When we make something it is 'our baby' and possibly that is where vulnerability steps in but let's be honest... sometimes we see a baby and it is downright 'fugly'... we've all seen some of those. The 'parents' (makers of the art) still love it flaws and all.
Then you mention 'the collective', hmmmmmm, hard one - what do we call that? National pride? Of the different types of pride it's probably 'stubborn pride' - can't be told, won't be told, won't back down even when we know we are wrong type of pride.

We still have such a long, long way to go as far as 'great' filmmaking is concerned. We best humble ourselves and really think about that.

TonySpike: What is missing in nollywood is to ability to fuse thought provoking storylines with logical and intellectually organised plots.
Ik09:
Filmmaking is a lot more than having a story to tell -knowing HOW to tell that story is just as important.

Frankly, I think our film industry has become too comfortable.
Obi1kenobi:
Nobody is asking Nollywood to shoot movies portraying Nigerians as forest-dwelling cannibals. They're asking that Nollywood makes films of substance that portray our culture, history, politics etc to the world and do it with competence, assiduous attention to detail and professionalism.
We consume [current Nollywood] because it's all we have. The same way we endure our misery in Nigeria because it's all we have. That doesn't mean we should laud what deserves criticism.

Any attempt at anything remotely stimulating to the intellect in Nigerian movies often reveals how far behind we really are.
The first step to rectifying such a problem is an admission of shortcomings.

The above posters, and others, have added a few home truths to the debate... but can we hear what they've said over the din of our pride? We shall see.
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by davidif: 8:14am On Aug 14, 2014
Justcash: @ Op; While I have to admit that you have a valid point, I must also point out that your criticism is too narrow because you surprisingly omitted the dichotomy between "Quality" and "Cost". More still, your focus on quality completely negated the philosophy upon which creativity is embedded. So, does the fact that Nollywood movies are of low quality imply that the creativity is missing? Does it mean that there are no embedded meanings in our movies? The crux of acting and shooting movies is to communicate. Is this factor missing in Nollywood? If you say yes, I will totally disagree with you because the most "crappy" Nollywood movies gat messages that they want to pass.
Meanwhile, how come you deliberately avoided the issues of socio-economic viability of movie production when trying to make such an international comparison? I remember watching Indian movies, they were totally crap, but they made sense and sold globally. If you can reduce the cost of movie production and make sales while passing the same message in a cheaper movie, would you ignore that just because you want to compete with South Africans? Meanwhile, who told you that "Half of a Yellow Sun" is a half British production? Going by your logic, how many South African Movies are really African?
YOU MUST LEARN TO ARGUE OBJECTIVELY. NIGERIANS ARE NOT IDIOTS.

Bro, you can make an excellent movie without ridiculous costs. All you need is innovation. Haven't you seen some amazing shorts (short film) before or some mini documentary with a guy and just one camera? Abeg, the cost excuse is not a valid one. Just check out this students:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBmyjkw93Zo?list=UUUQYhZBDHZb-CyZNNtWG9nw
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by davidif: 8:23am On Aug 14, 2014
BluIvy:

My sister, it looks like the acting has been consistently bad for decades. I just saw a snippet of a movie called something kukere babes and it was so awful. They should all be forcefully required to go through Julliard (http://www.juilliard.edu/) or USC film school (http://cinema.usc.edu/) before they ever set foot on camera again. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by touchmeder: 9:09am On Aug 14, 2014
Jayboy124:

I think you're right about the 'slum-themed' stuff though but it's not always true. Have you seen the Iranian film A Seperation?
I have. It is a brilliant film but I doubt if that is what will appeal to a typical Nigerian market but who knows one may be pleasantly surprised.
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by safarigirl(f): 11:07am On Aug 14, 2014
BluIvy:

hahaha, why so pained?

When last did you see a voodoo movie from nollywood? Or are you watching Africa Magic Yoruba? Isn't voodoo part of African culture? Or is it all of that nonsensical gibberish on Mr. Bones that's African? Have you ever wondered why whenever Hollywood wants to make fun of Africa it's SA they go to?

See how you're foaming from the mouth, garbage indeed. Go and watch Nollywood from 2010 till now, I don't mean Aba Nollywood cuz that's the one y'all broke people go and watch then tag Nollywood.

You can continue making your woe-unto-i movies, that's what your white masers love seeing anyways...I know SA will do ANYTHING to please white people tongue

3 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by safarigirl(f): 11:13am On Aug 14, 2014
they did not watch:

Ijele
Igodo
Festival of Fire
Full Moon

they will not watch:
The Meeting
Confusion Na Wa
i'll Take My Chances...

but they want to come here and talk shi bout low quality movies, when you're only interested in buying Aba movies of 50-150 or looking at Africa Magic, how will you find quality Nigerian movies?

4 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by prof800(m): 11:17am On Aug 14, 2014
Well said safarigirl, well said! smiley

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by dejahvu(m): 12:09pm On Aug 14, 2014
Like I said one of our greatest problemm is Lagos Monopoly of the entertainment industry cos deir is dis belief that u have to enter Lagos to make it and assuch it affects creativity coming from other regions of Nigeria. When u get to Lagos sometimes or rather mosttimes the gamecontrollers force you to conform to what they want. And I want to believe there is improvement in nollywood just that its moving at a very slow pace and until Indie Producers starts producing their movies reallife and not on paper the status quo might remain the same

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

BBNaija: Housemates Nominated For Possible Eviction On Sunday / Big Brother Naija Vs Gulder Ultimate Search; Which Is More Interesting? / Profile Of Chichi, Bbnaija Season 7 Housemate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.