Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,714 members, 7,816,943 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:45 PM

Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? (10677 Views)

#bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota / Best Diaper For Babies / Starting Daycare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by ibeeraheem16(m): 8:28am On Aug 06, 2014
They both don't gaurantee proper child up bringing. Asuch, i don't see why i should weigh them to determine which is better...
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by igbalajobi: 8:50am On Aug 06, 2014
Live-in nannies seem better as they integrate better with the family and don't have any other task apart from looking after your child. but the professional ones may have up to 20 kids at a go and there will be allegiance to the child they like for one reason or the other or the kind of relationship/treatment from the parents. I once heard that some professional nannies drug troublesome children to sleep so that they can have peace of mind and when you return to pick them, you will just see your child as calm as cucumber and they will be telling you he/she has been very co-operative whereas behind the calmness is the effect of sleeping drug. You can now imagine if sleeping drug is being given to your child on a daily basis.
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by wellmax(m): 8:58am On Aug 06, 2014
You mean

3 Likes

Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Godmystrength: 9:23am On Aug 06, 2014
wellmax: You mean
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by yomickey(m): 9:36am On Aug 06, 2014
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by numericalguy(m): 10:28am On Aug 06, 2014
aisha2:

MEN not I said MEN not boys are not dogs. They respect themselves and their bodies and dont just pounce on any female close by.
Men have standards, women should Marry MEN and not boys

If men and/or boys are dogs, it goes to show that:-
your father is a dog
your brothers are dogs
your husband is a dog
your son is a dog
your uncles are dogs
your male cousins are dogs
in short all the males in your village are all dogs

1 Like

Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Nobody: 10:41am On Aug 06, 2014
numericalguy:
If men are dogs, it goes to show that:-
your father is a dog
your brothers are dogs
your husband is a dog
your son is a dog
your uncles are dogs
your male cousins are dogs
in short all the males in your village are all dogs

I wish you would properly read and digest my points before you jump and attack. I am saying men are not dogs contrary to what some of the men here are saying and projecting. I am saying Men are Men with a brain and not animals like some one here was saying. Men think of the consequences of their actions they dont just pounce on any woman close by.

Please dont be quick to rush and insult, understand the context. I was actually saying men with low morals should stop roping other men into their issues as most men are responisble

6 Likes

Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by walearoy(m): 10:47am On Aug 06, 2014
ITbomb: Live in preferred but must be above 40 years and ugly

She'll steal your household items and take care of her family
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by ADETAYATA: 11:38am On Aug 06, 2014
A live in nanny is better cos.
You don't have to go through the daily risk of logistics to and from a creche

Your nanny can develop a good bond that allows proper care. Afterall she is handling just one child, unlike daycares.

It's better she is of grandma age cos that was she has experience and less distractions.

Give her he weekend off or has she desires.

Also from my experience its better she eats and sleeps in the house, like everybody else.
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by armadeo(m): 12:01pm On Aug 06, 2014
There no advantage or disadvantage that makes one better than the other. I have had live in nannies and I can tell you most are a horror.

They either feel indispensable or begin to look at Oga ( thinking why can't they be the wife and have their own nannies).

I always ensured wifey does the selection with no input from me, I never interact with them on any level, if I want something I call my wife to get it and she gets my point.
Jus

Be careful wishing you the best.
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by armadeo(m): 12:02pm On Aug 06, 2014
[quote author=wellmax]You mean [/quote

angry
grin grin
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by bigheart2013(m): 12:30pm On Aug 06, 2014
aisha2:

You asked what works for us you didnt ask for scary stories, some of us have no stories to share, we cant manufacture it to feed your fear.
I was thinking you were looking for realistic practical advice I think I know wherethis all is going lol

Feminist things, at the end poster will bring out the scary stories and say allwomen should stay home and care for their kids, how is that your niece copying with her hatred for feminists after seeing a "feminist" church lady in a married mans hotel?

Nawa for you sef. U be God that sees future? LoL! You don already siddon for ya house sabi where the thread will go in future. I SMH for some people sha. No wonder dem say Mind-reading cause more problems in relationships.

Me think this is a very matured, family-friendly thread. Every working parent, at some point, will have to make these decisions whether they like it or not. so cool down sista, make we learn abeg.
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Godmystrength: 12:42pm On Aug 06, 2014
aisha2:

You asked what works for us you didnt ask for scary stories, some of us have no stories to share, we cant manufacture it to feed your fear.
I was thinking you were looking for realistic practical advice I think I know wherethis all is going lol

Feminist things, at the end poster will bring out the scary stories and say allwomen should stay home and care for their kids, how is that your niece copying with her hatred for feminists after seeing a "feminist" church lady in a married mans hotel?
lol grin grin grin you are not serious o.

1 Like

Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Godmystrength: 12:50pm On Aug 06, 2014
kelechiodo:

You make me laugh or are you naive. In terms of skirt issue, everyman is a boy. Just dont play with a tiger whether alive or dead. Protect your own in what ways you can and not on the assumption that my husband is a "man" and not a "boy". A word is enough for the wise
If i have to protect him from temptation at home, please how do i intend to protect him when he is not at home, when he goes to church, when he strolls out, when he goes to work etc. That one go be real burden o. When will i now have to even enjoy him when i am spending all the quality time protecting him....

I am not saying you should present temptation right in the husband's face but if you have to start taking some measures religiously to keep your man in check, then i can't but wonder o
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Gold45(f): 1:15pm On Aug 06, 2014
I prefer live in any day. Even if the nanny is trying to do something they don't like to them, they will be able to resist or say no more when they are in their own home than in a daycare. They know where the phone is to call me or daddy should anything go wrong. There are friendly and nosy neighbours around who will let me know if my baby cries unnecessarily when I'm gone. As for child abuse, its not limited to only day care centres. There are many stories of nannies that abuse the children when no one is at home.

I started working as a live in nanny/ sleep over nanny at 19yrs.(The mum works shifts as a doctor). The law was simple, no boyfriends, smoking, drinking or immoral acts in the house. I had my own insurance. I ate with the family, I got hired through an agency and had to provide 3 references which were thoroughly checked. The equivalent of what I was paid is roughly $1600 monthly (considering the amount of inflation between now and then)

Age isn't what matters but strength and experience. All things being equal, I'll prefer someone between 18-36 provided she agrees to my rules

Hope this helps

2 Likes

Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Simplefaithy(m): 1:16pm On Aug 06, 2014
ITbomb: Live in preferred but must be above 40 years and ugly
. Lolz, >40ys nd ugly, op its not what am thinking sha?
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Woged2005(f): 1:29pm On Aug 06, 2014
Gold45: I prefer live in any day. Even if the nanny is trying to do something they don't like to them, they will be able to resist or say no more when they are in their own home than in a daycare. They know where the phone is to call me or daddy should anything go wrong. There are friendly and nosy neighbours around who will let me know if my baby cries unnecessarily when I'm gone. As for child abuse, its not limited to only day care centres. There are many stories of nannies that abuse the children when no one is at home.

I started working as a live in nanny/ sleep over nanny at 19yrs.(The mum works shifts as a doctor). The law was simple, no boyfriends, smoking, drinking or immoral acts in the house. I had my own insurance. I ate with the family, I got hired through an agency and had to provide 3 references which were thoroughly checked. The equivalent of what I was paid is roughly $1600 monthly (considering the amount of inflation between now and then)

Age isn't what matters but strength and experience. All things being equal, I'll prefer someone between 18-36 provided she agrees to my rules

Hope this helps

Wow!! great insight. Thanks sister for the clear and straight-to-the point contribution.

1 Like

Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by LegitDiva: 2:32pm On Aug 06, 2014
Emmm................

Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Aug 06, 2014
bigheart2013:
Nawa for you sef. U be God that sees future? LoL! You don already siddon for ya house sabi where the thread will go in future. I SMH for some people sha. No wonder dem say Mind-reading cause more problems in relationships.
Me think this is a very matured, family-friendly thread. Every working parent, at some point, will have to make these decisions whether they like it or not. so cool down sista, make we learn abeg.

No be today. Poster posts mostly on how bad Nigerian Women are, she has been called out before. If not see all the valuable advice she got she didnt even say thank you she came and was more concerned with horror stories from day care. WHY?

Last time she came writing on one niece that decided that all Nigerian "Feminists" are evil because she saw a church member in a hotel room, even the Anti Feminists here called her out, today again she don reach with this one. See me wasting my energy at 2am to reply and all she wanted meanwhile was the horror stories not practical advice that works for us.
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Infinitegrace: 7:33pm On Aug 06, 2014
aisha2: Live in? No, resume at 6.30 close at 6.30 when we are back from work, we dont need a live in, we can care for our child by ourselves when we get home.

Hiring? By recommendations, terms of employment clear, stipends clear and fair.

No feeding and accomodation for me because you no go stay in my house, I have a Nanny Cam to ensure everything goes on well.

Friends and visitors during working hours? No, do that on your own time when you close.

Boyfriend? Her life, her choices, she is an employee not a slave, same way I wouldnt work somewhere that regulates when I can marry or have babies.

Age bracket? 18 years and above or 16 years if she is done with school. Nothing less than that
I like your suggestion.please how do I get the Nanny Cam? Does it work without Electricity?
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Godmystrength: 8:57am On Aug 07, 2014
Infinitegrace: I like your suggestion.please how do I get the Nanny Cam? Does it work without Electricity?
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Nobody: 9:12am On Aug 07, 2014
You can check security gadget shops, not all need electricity, some work with batteries. Just put it somewhere that would capture whats going on.
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Godmystrength: 9:17am On Aug 07, 2014
aisha2: You can check security gadget shops, not all need electricity, some work with batteries. Just put it somewhere that would capture whats going on.
okay. i think i will give it a trial.
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Louislewis: 2:46pm On Aug 07, 2014
You were born to train and take care of your child. Stop looking for someone to enslave in the name of nanny or daycare. Avoid the mistakes you are bound to make by doing so now, than regretting later when it will be late. Women don't be lazy!
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Godmystrength: 4:04pm On Aug 07, 2014
Louislewis: You were born to train and take care of your child. Stop looking for someone to enslave in the name of nanny or daycare. Avoid the mistakes you are bound to make by doing so now, than regretting later when it will be late. Women don't be lazy!
What if you have to go to work as a woman? Are you saying working women are lazy?

If you see daycare are slavery, then that means we shouldn't even send our children to school o. Abi why can't we teach our child and stop looking for someone to enslave in the name of teachers and lecturers.... What will i not hear on NL.....

2 Likes

Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Aug 07, 2014
Godmystrength: What if you have to go to work as a woman? Are you saying working women are lazy?
If you see daycare are slavery, then that means we shouldn't even send our children to school o. Abi why can't we teach our child and stop looking for someone to enslave in the name of teachers and lecturers.... What will i not hear on NL.....

Lmao, I no talk am? When the poster dey find horror stories wetin remain?

Yes oh, super mothers like you have 10 children and home school them to university level, Lazy Nairaland women with una feminist agenda, go home and take care of ya shildrens
Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Godmystrength: 5:02pm On Aug 07, 2014
aisha2: Lmao, I no talk am? When the poster dey find horror stories wetin remain? Yes oh, super mothers like you have 10 children and home school them to university level, Lazy Nairaland women with una feminist agenda, go home and take care of ya shildrens
lol.
if this is the definition of super mothers abeg let them keep the super and leave only the mother for me o. i am okay the way i am. grin

1 Like

Re: Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? by Godmystrength: 9:29am On Aug 08, 2014
yomickey: My honest opinion is none.

If you have the means, take care of your children yourself or get their grand parents or close family.

You are right. But most people don't have the means o. For someone like me, my MIL is old, FIL is late, my parents are still working and not near, all our siblings are either married, working or in school. We don't dig extended family thingy etc. So we have no option than to use a nanny or daycare or in my case, both.
Nobody likes to leave their children in the care of strangers but we've got to do what we've got to do jare and just leave the rest to God.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can You Continue With The Marriage? / Two Months After Wedding, No Sex. Help! / Are There Still Men Who Believe In Abstinence Till Marriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.