Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,129 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:22 AM

Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? (30847 Views)

Top 13 Highest Paying Companies In Nigeria 2016 / Are Chinese Good Employers / Oil/Gas Companies in Naija and their Career Websites!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by elari(m): 6:26am On Aug 10, 2014
Since I have had cause to encounter some, lemme bring to light my own story. In 2012, Makurdi , I went into Nobis supermarket to get somethings, na Im Chinese man stand for road. I told him excuse me, I wanna go through. Him keep quite and I knew he heard me cos my voice was high, if u see the way I carry push am go one side, na im d police wey follow am rush come with gun. I just told him, Abeg commot for my face, wetin u wan come do? Just look their face waka.
Second time was at kubwa Abuja. If una know that railway wey pass in front of daughters of charity clinic byazhin. I was going to d clinic to see a doctor, one of the naija brother working on the bridge fell and had a fracture and was just being looked at. When some naija fellow workers went to help him. Na so one stupid smelly Chinese shouted in ineligible English that t"hey go to work". Yes! I may say what bizness of my was it? But if u see the anger wey I rush take tear d guy slap for him red face. Come vex give my naija brodas set na them dey cos dis thing. Oboy before u know na so people follow me dey hala . in less than 2 minutes some Chinese guys radioed a hilux to come pick d guy go hospital.

When it come to whites trying to intimidate a Blackman, I sabi buy case like dat.

8 Likes

Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by hustla(m): 6:34am On Aug 10, 2014
saxywale:
He who pays the piper.........

na why I quit
cheesy

Piper were wo
Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by kobonaire(m): 6:45am On Aug 10, 2014
InvertedHammer:
/

Barbaric you say? OK. Keep giving excuses and rationalizing nonsense. The police should have been involved. The police should have involved
themselves without invitation. But how much confidence does the public have on NPF against the machination of Arabs and Chinese?

China cleans herself from corruption by execution. Barbaric? Yes! But works for them and they are progressing. But we will continue to ITK nonsense till kingdom come. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Continue to wait for the police.

/
the same Chinese that are maltreating Nigerians, you now call them progressive .... lipsrsealed
You mentioned US labour laws in your previous post and yet also propose mob lynchings as a means of justice.... That's called taking 1 step forward and 3 steps back ...
Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by iamord(m): 6:48am On Aug 10, 2014
Bimfo: Chinko?? Beat me?? Walahi, if he touches me, I will break him into two with my eyes closed. He can keep his salary.

Okay nw! Don't worry.! You go shock as them go change am for you, police go brush you and put allegation untop your. Head. Next stop- crime fighters. You know the rest!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by NaLaugh: 7:11am On Aug 10, 2014
Why are they?

Well, because they are being allowed to.
Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by delishpot: 7:14am On Aug 10, 2014
golddeejay: they are maltreat nigerians because they see us maltreat and enslave ourselves. Because they know we have government dat doesnt give a heck abt the welfare of their citizens. And Some people here are blamin the people working in those companies...i think going through these maltreatments is better than not been able to provide for ur family. That is the worst thing that can happen to a MAN.

Is it only men that work in those companies? Or only men provide for their families? Abi maltreating the women is no biggie?
Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by Btruth: 7:17am On Aug 10, 2014
Well, I'm not surprised that this is coming up now. Here is my former complaint about them on the nairaland........

https://www.nairaland.com/1333643/ever-been-cheated-foreigners-here

cool
Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by Elle780(f): 7:28am On Aug 10, 2014
Last bullet! Last bullet! Dis ur bullet no dey finish
OkikiOluwa1:
1st Bullet

The Nigerian government & Nigerians are the 1st molesters! The FG has failed to develop & protect Nigerians. The Companies Act on employers rights is dead!

2nd Bullet

Workers do not v the right to complain about salary or wages when they are employed. They v the opportunity of negotiating before employment. The only complain or question they can raise is when there's a clause for increment. So... in my opinion, those labourers taking N15,000, N20,000, N30,000 etc took up the job because they agreed with their employers.

3rd Bullet

People should learn how to fight for themselves by seeking Human Rights Commission offices in their State. Any employee that's maltreated should run to them. They are helpful if well seeked.
They should also ask questions from their employers like clauses in their contract or employment, if there's going to be pay rise at a particular time or a pay rise for extra service. Any job that is not worth doing from the start is not worth doing till one is sacked or resigned!

Last Bullet

It's a pity Chinese, Indians, Lebanese & other Asian companies v taken advantage of Nigerian government's laxity in protecting her citizens.
I can mention names of companies in Lagos & other parts of Nigeria that enslave their staff. Tech-Mahindra, Mikano Generator, Jubaili Bros, most of those Asian companies in Ikorodu & other parts of Lagos State. They practice modern slavery?
When your government, Nigerians also enslave you, you are at everyone's mercy.
Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by Nsonaso(m): 7:30am On Aug 10, 2014
onoerime: It is no more a news that the Chinese companies in Nigeria are indirectly enslaving nigerians but I am wondering why the federal government of Nigeria has kept mute to this barbaric acts of these people. I shall carefully pin points some of their misdeeds maybe the appropriates bodies could read and come to the aids of nigerians.
SALARY SCALES... I want to use China civil engineering construction cooperation (Ccecc ) as an example.
Labours- between.#15000 and #21000
workmen_ between #27000 and #31000
STAFF- between #45000 and #50000

WORKING PERIODS- 7.30am-6.00PM @30 days that means no rest days.
PENALTIES... penalties for offense committed could range between #5000-#20000 and could be deducted once from your salary.
JOB SECURITY- insecured.
Apart from salaries paid, no extensive employee packages. No health insurance, no paid time off from work, no retirement plans for workers, workers are fired at will, what pains me most is a Chinese man beating up a Nigerian because of a slight offense. Sometimes a whole salary could be seized just because of an offense. Why, why, why, these Chinese men are highly respected in Nigeria yet nigerians are enslaved home and abroad. The labour unions will come and do investigations but nothing happens thereafter. LAMATA pretends as if they hear or know nothing hmmmm. Can nigerians go to other countries and allowed to act this way?

Yes bro you're very correct.... I know about that company and they're indirectly enslaving our people like you said. When they were constructing my neighbors house @ Abuja and the way they maltreated our people there, you will know that there is no job in Nigeria for a common man.......
Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by Nsonaso(m): 7:30am On Aug 10, 2014
onoerime: It is no more a news that the Chinese companies in Nigeria are indirectly enslaving nigerians but I am wondering why the federal government of Nigeria has kept mute to this barbaric acts of these people. I shall carefully pin points some of their misdeeds maybe the appropriates bodies could read and come to the aids of nigerians.
SALARY SCALES... I want to use China civil engineering construction cooperation (Ccecc ) as an example.

PENALTIES... penalties for offense committed could range between #5000-#20000 and could be deducted once from your salary.
JOB SECURITY- insecured.
Apart from salaries paid, no extensive employee packages. No health insurance, no paid time off from work, no retirement plans for workers, workers are fired at will, what pains me most is a Chinese man beating up a Nigerian because of a slight offense. Sometimes a whole salary could be seized just because of an offense. Why, why, why, these Chinese men are highly respected in Nigeria yet nigerians are enslaved home and abroad. The labour unions will come and do investigations but nothing happens thereafter. LAMATA pretends as if they hear or know nothing hmmmm. Can nigerians go to other countries and allowed to act this way?
Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by dasparrow: 7:35am On Aug 10, 2014

JOB SECURITY- insecured.

This is what happens when you come from a country like Nigeria where you have leaders who don't give a damn about her citizens. Can the Chinese try this crap in the UK, USA, Canada, Germany, France and the likes? Of course they can't because these countries have labor laws in place that are strictly enforced. Secondly, unlike most Nigerians who 'worship' anyone who is not a member of the black race, people of other races and nationalities respect and hold members of their race and fellow citizens in high esteem. I can't go to USA and maltreat an American and expect that Americans will have my back and support me. Americans will support their own first, they will support their fellow indigenous American citizen over any immigrant, naturalized US citizen, or American-born offspring of a once-upon-a-time immigrant.

The average Nigerian on the other hand will throw his or her fellow Nigerian citizen 'under the bus' while supporting the foreigner instead. Take it from me who was born and has lived outside Nigeria for an extended period of time, it is NOT done that way anywhere. Nigerians are the only set of human beings that I know of that are quick to support foreigners over their own fellow Nigerian citizens both at home and abroad. Other Africans don't do that, Americans don't do that, Europeans don't do that, Asians don't do that. They support their own citizens but the Nigerian? Nope!

So then, why should it come as a surprise that foreigners treat Nigerians like dirt in their own homeland? The Chinese know that Nigerians are sadly not united and have never been. They know that Nigerians hate each other with impunity and will not come together to fight foreign oppressors on our soil. So obviously, the average abusive Chinese employer will continue with his wickedness knowing fully well that he will get away with it or he can easily bribe his way out of the situation.

The day Nigerians begin to truly support one another is the day things will begin to look up for us as a people and as a nation. However, as long as we keep supporting foreigners over our own people, as long as we are quick to have a foreigner's back while throwing fellow Nigerians 'under the bus,' we will continue to suffer as a nation and will never reach our full God-intended potential. When you have a country like Nigeria where many of her citizens are filled with self-hate and are always looking to tear each other down wherever they find themselves - home or abroad, on the world wide web and in-person - how can we expect people from other nationalities to respect us and take us seriously? I mean, think about it.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by delishpot: 7:36am On Aug 10, 2014
Nyikoro: Oga please stop taking pictures in such places. With the way terrorisim is growing here and there, we do not know who is who.
If a security guy approaches to stop you from taking pictures do not be angry with him/her he or she is doing his/her job to protect your life.
Terrorist take pictures of some important places and send it back to their boss for future attack.
please we should learn how to respect our service members. throwing insult on them do not help in any way.
you ask him if he can do that to a white man? you, can you talk to a NY police officer that way?

Na so na. If na yankee airport him dey, fear no go gree am make fem. Fear of deportation. Him go kneel down dey cry please officer ah officer Abeg, my God will bless you officer dont take me back to naijiriya! Lol.

Somehow, I do not believe that officer wanted to sieze the phone outright. I believe he was asked to stop but he refused and was rude to the guy that was why the guy wanted to sieze it I could be wrong but that is my take.
Naija security agencies sef no get class there is a way you handle people that will be calm and still show you mean business and of course if the person insults you, you give him a good choke hold till the mumu passes out angry (eh, I know say I over react). Some nigerians are sooo rude and then when their stupid behaviour is not accepted abroad they are quick to play the race card.
BTW, are there no labour agencies in naija? Let the workers form a union and go to them.
Ehm, biko, make una no vex, howmuch is the state govt sallary scale In naija?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by Elle780(f): 7:38am On Aug 10, 2014
Re u implying that the less educated ones should be treated like poo. Everyone is before God equal no Mata ur qualification
topsyking: look guys.. wen you say chinese or indians are maltreating nigerians it depend on de class of people dey are maltreating..can dey do dat to any educated and professional no,,, dey can only do dat to labourers and dose dat doesnt no deir left from right.. dose i never chop people...
Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by Oyiboman69: 7:38am On Aug 10, 2014
hey!!!! so dis na wetin dey hapen.somebody have to go to lagos
Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by Dexema(m): 7:43am On Aug 10, 2014
Reference: Today in my service delivery 7 out of every 10 of my clients has a primary concern which is cost. I have lost clients due to my inability to 'tighten up'. Even those who started out as purist quality seekers are now value seekers. They take quality for granted because competition is tough. The only card which I play and which works for me forever in Nigeria is the integrity joker. As for survival I have to constantly look for cost savings, I have to work hard and of course the staff have to sacrifice as well.

If the Chinese are to survive in Nigeria and undermine their more established Euro-American competitors, they will have to keep costs low. As an individual - graduate, trainee, professional, consultant, whatever my advice is: work hard, improve your competencies, 'moderate' your demands and maintain your integrity and dignity. You will succeed. Stop complaining.

What sort of capitalist/elitist advice are u giving? “Stop complaining“ even if ur being used like a donkey? I'm sure that's the same path that led to your own supposed success.
Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by toprealman: 7:49am On Aug 10, 2014
Because most Nigerian are corrupt, selfish and greedy. You report the matter to police, the Chinese throw money around and that's it. Very sad.
Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by ElFenomeno1: 7:51am On Aug 10, 2014
aanumama: Because even our Leaders are maltreating us, there are no acts in place that covers those people.
our leaders are spoiler, they've ruined this country, you see a bloody Chinese and a bastard India from a rotten village giving orders as if they are in their country! nothing is working in this country nothing, our leaders have sold us to them.

Spot on!

And Nigerians can't stand up for what is right or what they believe in... Nigerians are cowards

1 Like

Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by toluene12: 7:53am On Aug 10, 2014
GeneralShepherd: All the BRIC countries (Brazil,Russia, India and China) have no respect for human rights.

Hate Americans all you like but you can't be treated with disrespect in American or an European company.

They are very courteous regardless of our weak labour laws.

I will always be with USA and Europe.

In the end if we can't run a juice factory,or a plastic company or even a biscuit factory but wait on technicians not even educated indians and Chinese to run these simple organisations for us. Then we deserve what we get.

Maximum respect to all manufacturers that don't employ indians and Chinese eg Beloxxi food industries

the above is the summary.
bric countries dont respect labour or human right laws.
u dont xpect their companies to do otherwise.
the truth is their own citizens are treated worse.
the average salary of an indian factory worker is #15,000/ month, in bangladesh- the largest producer of textiles products- its #6,000. in china u're very lucky to earn #30,000 in a month.
there is nothing like pensions, health insurance, hazard allowance or compensation for any industrial accidents. if u take a leave u wont be paid for that period, and u can be sacked at will without prior notice.
unfortunately, this cheap wages and poor labour laws is the single factor that enabled them become global industrial power.
now everybody is saying we should look towards the east for foreign investment.
and thats exactly what our govt did.
virtually all factories that produces in this country are owned by lebanese, indians or chinese.
now u dont expect them to come n implement chevron style of salaries or western type of labour laws.
i think we should just adjust to the new fresh air breezing over africa currently, because its going to be here for a very long time.
until we learn to stand n produce by ourselves.

most nigerian business men will love to go into manufacturing.
at least they pay better and create a better conducive environment for employees.
but the cost of production n lack of financial support from banks is the major obstacle.
this is where our govt can assist.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by Elle780(f): 7:54am On Aug 10, 2014
See ur mouth na only u sabi blow grammar.
all4naija: Now the blame is gradually being channeled to the Chinese. They haven't spend tens of years on the continent they are already being blamed for bad practice of maltreating workers. I think the Brits didn't do as much in the past long years they spent in the country as we have seen from the Chinese within a very short time. Africans are just full of excuses for their incompetence. Soon Chinese will live you to your miserable lazy bottoms in your poor development. Bunch of unruly people who wouldn't want to follow rules and regulations.

Get organized and live a civilized live. I don't think Chinese would maltreat Nigerians if they follow the rule. Lawless bunch of cockroaches(in Libyan Qaddafi's voice)

1 Like

Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by Elle780(f): 7:59am On Aug 10, 2014
Beat d hell outta dem.
Lebee4:

I kept saying this, the day an employer will raise his hand to hit me, especially foreigner, that day hmmmm, may it never come cos I will sketch d map of his country on his body with my hands.

I was supervising a Lebanese coy sometimes ago n the Workers complained d Mechanical section Supervisor usually call them Monkey in their own country and they are happy.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by emilo26(m): 8:00am On Aug 10, 2014
xp17: before you transform the world, you need to start up by changing yourself. Nigerians are only good for correcting others and never accept their own deficits.

team work is good, but if one person breaks the chain, everything would colapse. just like a soccer game, you have to pick from the best "individuals" to make a strong team.

hope I make sense to you?

No Sir! at the bold part. I think sometimes Nigerians are judge for what is not their fault and cause. There is no egalitarian society anywhere but many first world and second world countries have lived with the slogan of "Injustice to one, is injustice to all" What we are experiencing now could be liken to the first outbreak of machine which triggered the industrial revolution, the aftermath of the first and second world war and many more. Due to our low level of technological advancement, we employed the help of others allowing them to extract from our natural resources, sheltering them and even allowing them to make money here and take back to their countries yet we being maltreated and we blame it on ourselves. In America, Europe and other continent we have the presence of Asian countries will you tell me that this people are maltreated just like the africans? We have an individualist society where "ones its well with me the rest can go to hell" that is why they allow Nigerians to be treated anyhow even in their father's land. Sometimes ago one Arabian company locked his workers in a factory and allowed them to burn to death yet nothing was being done about that. apart from maltreatment and low salary coupled with longer hours of work, sometimes they owe you salary ranging from 2 to 3 month. And we expect with individualist approach we will change anything? the answer is no. History has shown that Marxist and Rebel way remains the own way to make the liberal and elite shift grows.
Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by golddeejay(m): 8:10am On Aug 10, 2014
delishpot:

Is it only men that work in those companies? Or only men provide for their families? Abi maltreating the women is no biggie?
i used men because majority of nigerians working in those 'kora' and chinese companies are men. Not taking anything away the womenfolk
Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by TerryCarr(m): 8:14am On Aug 10, 2014
it's amazing how the Asians are moving into Africa & are more successful then the native Africans on their own turf. it's a shame tongue

1 Like

Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by Mavor: 8:14am On Aug 10, 2014
Nigerian's have no respect or high regard for their average countryman. When a foreigner comes to your country and sees how you treat one another like $hit, of course he will do the same. When in Rome they say, behave like the Romans.

In addition our government is mega-$hit by the way. Immigration officials and officials of the Ministry of Labor are very corrupt and turn a blind eye on all these atrocities committed by Chinese, Indian & Lebanese companies.

I'm no tribalist, but most Yorubas in HR and admin positions in these companies don't help matters at all. That's all I will say concerning that.
Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by FEMoxylian: 8:18am On Aug 10, 2014
Our daft leaders allow foreign companies practice in Nigeria what never practiced in their homeland. The ministry of labour is blind and the NLC now partisan. We need a strong leader with discipline like former Buhari/Idiagbon to put things right. Can Buhari still do it without late Idiagbon? Has the leopard changed its spots due to its friendship with the political lizards? May God help us.
Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by swedbase(m): 8:23am On Aug 10, 2014
Very sad reading how Chinese Lebanese, and Indians maltreats Nigerians in Nigeria. This is why we Biafrans called Nigeria a zoo

1 Like

Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by badboym: 8:24am On Aug 10, 2014
This is absolutely true and it's sad things haven't changed . I am saying this because I talk from experience. I worked for a Chinese company namely, western metal product company limited situated in Ogba lagos, Nigeria and everything the OP narrated is true asides for the fact that we(The least earners )were paid 9000 naira monthly then. The Labour union (Nigerians) meant to care for the welfare of the workers were bribed with meagre funds and they end up exacerbating the situation. Some workers had their hands cut off while working on the hazardous machines and despite the fact that they were rendered disabled perpetually as a result of that and the metal trauma that would cost them, they end up getting as little as below 100 thousand naira then for compensation. etc.

The so called Staffs you would discover got the position by being sycophants to the Chinese and they get worse when their objective is achieved. Back then, those who were staffs made it look like it was the end of the World and we the contract workers saw them as gods. I was very young then as it was in 2001 and I'm never the type to bow to no one so I always had troubles with them. The Chinese believes Blacks are slaves . That is what they are told in their schools back home . The Chinese guy who was in charge of our section always told us that that and if for any reason he is not satisfied with whatever task he gives you to execute, you get kicked or beaten. However, they were scared of some tough looking workers. Sometimes they start it like it's a trifle but it later gets serious . For those of us who were hard headed, we just don't allow it at all.

Life in there was like living in Jail and I'm glad I'm out of the system now. May God help us in that Country.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by Nobody: 8:35am On Aug 10, 2014
Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by Nobody: 8:36am On Aug 10, 2014
starlite101: Why are the Chinese allowed in? Learn your worth and stop allowing foreigners to suck your economy dry to their benefit.
That's a good statement. I totally agree with you.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by Nobody: 8:36am On Aug 10, 2014
foreigner beat me inside my father land If i was there, i qould have flogged that Nigerian more sef.... mtcheww..... How one idiot go come my country come beat me God know say if na me be the Nigerian, I swear on my life, I' ll cripple that Chinese man.... RUBBISH!!!!! The wey dem beat no try atal..... foreigner beat me inside my father land If i was there, i qould have flogged that Nigerian more sef.... mtcheww..... How one idiot go come my country come beat me God know say if na me be the Nigerian, I swear on my life, I' ll cripple that Chinese man.... RUBBISH!!!!! The wey dem beat no try atal..... angry

Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by lolaluv1(f): 8:40am On Aug 10, 2014
What a question. When a government doesn't care for and about It's citizens, what do you expect? Can their rubbish ever happen in America?

While they are the worst, they aren't the only one. Most Nigerian employers under the guise of 'there is No job out there' mistreat and maltreat their staff.

This country enh
Re: Why Are Chinese Companies In Nigeria Maltreating Nigerians? by Missmossy(f): 8:43am On Aug 10, 2014
Its so saddening i must say,its no surprise to see so many unskilled labourers being under these people working endlessly like there is no tomorrow.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Statistics Of Unemployed Nigerians By Gender And Qualification. Do You Agree? / Graduate Trainees At Actionaid Nigeria - October 2013 / You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.