Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,464 members, 7,816,088 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:48 AM

HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? (4752 Views)

Concern As More Us-based Nigerians Murder Their Spouses / Maid Who Savagely Beat Ugandan Toddler To Face Attempted Murder Charge / Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by jauntty: 11:34pm On Aug 06, 2014
Hello NLers....This incident happened today. A neighbor ran over a 10 years old kid on an express today and the boy died. I don't really know how it happens and so can't tell who is to blame. He has be arrested and have being in police custody since afternoon. The whole neighborhood is confused. what are the best way to resolve this, especially as it concerns the bereaved family. Please what are his options. Will he go to jail Thanks. (Pls nobody should ask about pix, this is not a joke)
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by Nobody: 11:36pm On Aug 06, 2014
sad
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by coogar: 11:45pm On Aug 06, 2014
jauntty: Hello NLers....This incident happened today. A neighbor ran over a 10 years old kid on an express today and the boy died. I don't really know how it happens and so can't tell who is to blame. He has be arrested and have being in police custody since afternoon. The whole neighborhood is confused. what are the best way to resolve this, especially as it concerns the bereaved family. Please what are his options. Will he go to jail Thanks. (Pls nobody should ask about pix, this is not a joke)

vehicular manslaughter!
it depends on what really happened. was the driver drunk? did he overspeed? was the child at fault for crossing the road carelessly?

you have to provide those facts before one can tell you how to go about it.......

1 Like

Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by jumzzy448: 11:46pm On Aug 06, 2014
Wow....so sorry. Guess he'll be charged with manslaughter.
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by write2obi(m): 12:05am On Aug 07, 2014
coogar:

vehicular manslaughter!
it depends on what really happened. was the driver drunk? did he overspeed? was the child at fault for crossing the road carelessly?

you have to provide those facts before one can tell you how to go about it.......
Dose he have a genuine drivers licence?

1 Like

Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by jauntty: 12:05am On Aug 07, 2014
coogar:

vehicular manslaughter!

He was not drunk. Really don't know about the speed. It was an express road so I guess it was on the high side.
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by jauntty: 12:06am On Aug 07, 2014
write2obi:
Dose he have the correct licence?
Yes. He is also a Govt worker.
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by jauntty: 12:08am On Aug 07, 2014
jumzzy448: Wow....so sorry. Guess he'll be charged with manslaughter.
Gracious God !!! Manslaughter sound extremely serious.
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by Amhappy(f): 12:09am On Aug 07, 2014
Bad day. He need a good lawyer. If he gets an option to settle out of court,he should take it.
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by jauntty: 12:15am On Aug 07, 2014
Does that out of court mean compensating the family? Cos right now the family of the deceased boy are mourning and very angry
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by coogar: 12:21am On Aug 07, 2014
jauntty: Does that out of court mean compensating the family? Cos right now the family of the deceased boy are mourning and very angry

yes, he will need to compensate the family of the deceased & rub the palms of the officers in charge of the case. quick settlement is his best option otherwise...........he might spend the next 20 years in kuje prison while awaiting trial.
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by jauntty: 12:27am On Aug 07, 2014
This is far more than I have imagined
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by JeffreyJamez(m): 12:50am On Aug 07, 2014
If it was on the express, and the boy crossed the road carelessly, with a good lawyer he has no fault.... but come to think of it.... what would a 10years old boy be doing on the express all alone?

2 Likes

Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by coogar: 12:51am On Aug 07, 2014
JeffreyJamez: If it was on the express, and the boy crossed the road carelessly, with a good lawyer he has no fault.... but come to think of it.... what would a 10years old boy be doing on the express all alone?

selling gala, mangoes, corn, pure water, etc.
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by JeffreyJamez(m): 12:54am On Aug 07, 2014
coogar:

selling gala, mangoes, corn, pure water, etc.

Then the parents are going to jail that's for sure!!

2 Likes

Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by Ugojames(m): 12:55am On Aug 07, 2014
Spped is his best option but he has to handle the deceased's family very gentle, for them to drop the case and a very good lawyer would go a long way.
Good luck!!!
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by jauntty: 6:47am On Aug 07, 2014
Never knew one can go to jail for that. I am seriously scared to drive anytime soon.
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by adebasket97: 7:32am On Aug 07, 2014
jauntty: Never knew one can go to jail for that. I am seriously scared to drive anytime soon.

I guess you're under 18..lol...so cos person hit person now, u no go drive go work if you're already working

Back to topic : A good Lawyer plus Prayer won't land him in jail ELSE e go bcme "REAL" govt worker o.
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by jauntty: 8:00am On Aug 07, 2014
adebasket97:

I guess you're under 18..lol...so cos person hit person now, u no go drive go work if you're already working

Back to topic : A good Lawyer plus Prayer won't land him in jail ELSE e go bcme "REAL" govt worker o.
Funny U. Am a actually farrrrr older and am a working doctor. The reason y I said that is because I don't have a car yet but my and my friend always drive his car round town on weekends and mehn, we dey drive ruff. Don't wanna hit some1 and get jail.
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by adebasket97: 8:18am On Aug 07, 2014
jauntty: Funny U. Am a actually farrrrr older and am a working doctor. The reason y I said that is because I don't have a car yet but my and my friend always drive his car round town on weekends and mehn, we dey drive ruff. Don't wanna hit some1 and get jail.

Okay bro. Abeg holla nma make una resume o..lol

1 Like

Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by Nobody: 8:25am On Aug 07, 2014
nonsense, that's simply an UNFORTUNATE ACCIDENT!
what was the child doing on an express road?! there is no need to pay anybody and should fight this nonsense! what next? Russia type settlement where people are jumping on top of your car and expect to be settled?! LMAO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b31Jn1LMjuM
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by SAMBARRY: 9:01am On Aug 07, 2014
Many nigerians are guilty of speeding unreasonably.both commercial drivers, okada riders and private cars are all guilty. To cross road na wahala. Does he want to say he didn't see the boy from afar when he was driving like a mad man.common sense no tell am to slow down undecided

they will open their eyes wide like frog own, see people dey cross them go still dey speed like person wey dey on drugs undecided

e don happen na, im body don cool down. Anyway he should pray and get a good lawyer and be ready to spend MONEY because manslaughter is not easy to get away with in Nigeria whether you be government worker or Jonathan worker.msheeeeeewwww

1 Like

Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by Nobody: 9:18am On Aug 07, 2014
^^^you do know that driving slow on an express way can be deadlier than proper speed? an express way is not a place to cross the road, there are traffic light or overpass to do so (only when light is red), but sadly many want to cut corners in life.
this is NO manslaughter, thats just an accidental death.

3 Likes

Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by Teespice(f): 9:28am On Aug 07, 2014
[quote author=jauntty] Gracious God !!! Manslaughter sound extremely serious. [/quote

manslaughter is not as serious as murder. while manslaughter carries a term of imprisonment, murder carries the death penalty.

OP,

depending on the circumstances of the accident, it would be on the court by way of circumstantial evidence to prove that it is manslaughter. the factors outlined by cougar would be put into consideration as well. having a very good lawyer would also boost his chances of an acquittal or reduced sentence.

I wish him well. but however he should not be held in custody for more than 24 hours as this is an infringement of his fundamental human rights.
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by jauntty: 9:32am On Aug 07, 2014
UPDATE : Police has refused to grant him bail. This is getting serious. Please, is this not a Bailable offense
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by worry359(m): 9:40am On Aug 07, 2014
If he get's bail he had better be carefull that he does not end up in the hands of the very angry family!
He is reasonably safe in jail.
He could be the victim of "Street /Jungle Justice" if the family get hold of him!
"An eye for an eye"
A life for a life"!
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by jauntty: 9:55am On Aug 07, 2014
Safe maybe but these our Nigeria police cells are so pathetic. The conditions there are just terrible.
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by coogar: 10:03am On Aug 07, 2014
jauntty: UPDATE : Police has refused to grant him bail. This is getting serious. Please, is this not a Bailable offense

they won't grant him bail unless he rubs the palms of the police officers. you better tell your friend to pay up as soon as he can before things escalate....

you dunno lagos police officers - they would soon substitute him for an armed robber son of a billionaire. the billionaire's son would be released & your friend would replace him.
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by Nobody: 11:34am On Aug 07, 2014
If he is a govt worker, the first person to help him is his overall boss if they have a cool relationship.
Nobody will come out in Nigeria as witness and that one is against him already.
Another chance he has is that:
1. The boy is 10 years and should not be on the express (but for Naija) you kill you die ni.
2. If there is a cross over bridge there and the boy didn't use it.
3. If all his papers are complete to the letter if not his wife or people should quickly go and do it.
4. He should call someone who knows someone who knows someone to speak with the DPO. He will just spend like 10 days and then be released.
5. He should get ready to part with a large amount of money to lawyers and the police but he should spend wisely or else he will waste money.

If he is guilty of
1. Overspeeding.
2. Drunk
3. Incomplete paper
4. Someone make a mistake to point out that he is not a good man.
5. Or a witness came... Omo, he could still repeat the above to get freedom.

I heard of someone who was charged to court for fraud and after so many come back come back come back... Or postponement by the court the guy stopped going and they forgot about the case. Who get time?

However, justice in Nigeria is unpredictable. This issue as it is can make him be in jail for the rest of his life.
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by SAMBARRY: 12:12pm On Aug 07, 2014
MRbrownJAY: ^^^you do know that driving slow on an express way can be deadlier than proper speed? an express way is not a place to cross the road, there are traffic light or overpass to do so (only when light is red), but sadly many want to cut corners in life.
this is NO manslaughter, thats just an accidental death.
wetin be traffic lights for Nigeria grin

are you living in Nigeria at all . aren't you aware that people cross express road when there is no alternative route to pass.call a spade a spade, if you want to do something do it in moderation, if you want to speed, speed like a normal human being not like some wasted junky that's about committing suicide
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by CoCoLav(f): 12:25pm On Aug 07, 2014
It depends on the law he is charged under. It is a highway offence so the punishment might not be the same as that of murder. If the police refuses to grant bail, he should get a lawyer ASAP to either settle or get bail from the court so he doesn't spend the weekend in jail.

That said, I find it very sad that most of the victims of reckless driving are kids. The last time I was in court, a woman had oversped and knocked down a 12 year old boy who became crippled. Please, people need to be careful with the way they drive.
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by coogar: 12:29pm On Aug 07, 2014
CoCoLav: It depends on the law he is charged under. It is a highway offence so the punishment might not be the same as that of murder. If the police refuses to grant bail, he should get a lawyer ASAP to either settle or get bail from the court so he doesn't spend the weekend in jail.

That said, I find it very sad that most of the victims of reckless driving are kids. The last time I was in court, a woman had oversped and knocked down a 12 year old boy who became crippled. Please, people need to be careful with the way they drive.

even when these kids throw themselves in front of a moving vehicle? parents should be getting arrested for leaving their kids by a big motorway. i dunno the details of this particular incident but if the driver kept to the speed limit of the motorway where the incident took place, he shouldn't have been arrested.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Chaircover,osisi ,BB,outstrip,mukina,and co, the men too, oyb,olabowale . . . / Banned From His Wife's Bedroom / Help Me Sort This Out Pls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.