Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,622 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? (4749 Views)

Concern As More Us-based Nigerians Murder Their Spouses / Maid Who Savagely Beat Ugandan Toddler To Face Attempted Murder Charge / Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by jauntty: 12:46pm On Aug 07, 2014
richarts:
5. He should get ready to part with a large amount of money to lawyers and the police but he should spend wisely or else he will waste money.
I was informed now that he has gotten a lawyer and are negotiating his bail terms. Something else came up. The lawyer was suggesting that they settle Out-of-court. (Compensation) but the family is saying that "they cannot sell their son for money. "
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by worry359(m): 12:50pm On Aug 07, 2014
jauntty: I was informed now that he has gotten a lawyer and are negotiating his bail terms. Something else came up. The lawyer was suggesting that they settle Out-of-court. (Compensation) but the family is saying that "they cannot sell their son for money. "

That just means that he has not offered enough money yet!

1 Like

Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by jauntty: 12:50pm On Aug 07, 2014
coogar:

they won't grant him bail unless he rubs the palms of the police officers. you better tell your friend to pay up as soon as he can before things escalate....

you dunno lagos police officers - they would soon substitute him for an armed robber son of a billionaire. the billionaire's son would be released & your friend would replace him.
That's why I don't ever want anything to do with Nigerian police. You can be innocent and yet some will falsely accuse and beat you to confess to a crime you never committed
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Aug 07, 2014
jauntty: I was informed now that he has gotten a lawyer and are negotiating his bail terms. Something else came up. The lawyer was suggesting that they settle Out-of-court. (Compensation) but the family is saying that "they cannot sell their son for money. "

It was on the express and it's a bit tricky sha.
God help him.
He might not be able to drive again.
The psychological trauma we all go through in life, na only God fit help us.

1 Like

Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by jauntty: 1:33pm On Aug 07, 2014
worry359:

That just means that he has not offered enough money yet!
I guess it because they are still grieving. I really feel for the family.
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Aug 07, 2014
SAMBARRY: wetin be traffic lights for Nigeria grin

are you living in Nigeria at all . aren't you aware that people cross express road when there is no alternative route to pass.call a spade a spade, if you want to do something do it in moderation, if you want to speed, speed like a normal human being not like some wasted junky that's about committing suicide

a person cannot be blamed if they are driving at normal speed on the expressway, and hit someone who was crossing the road (or hawking).

i am amazed at the Nigerian "if you dont have money, an innocent man will rot in jail" attitude.

2 Likes

Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by SAMBARRY: 4:52pm On Aug 07, 2014
MRbrownJAY:

a person cannot be blamed if they are driving at normal speed on the expressway, and hit someone who was crossing the road (or hawking).

i am amazed at the Nigerian "if you dont have money, an innocent man will rot in jail" attitude.
yes o at the bolded.if you don't have money or anyone to bail you or you don't know any chief or alhaji or senator you better behave yourself otherwise na kirikiri the person go chop half made beans without salt plus stones in it plus cutting grass taya. undecided

too many psychotic people driving this days and putting the lives of other road users at risk undecided
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by worry359(m): 4:54pm On Aug 07, 2014
MRbrownJAY:

You obviously have no conception of how Nigerian Police, Security and the justice system operates!
(Or fails to operate is closer to the truth!)

Whatever the true rights or wrongs of the case, the one who shouts loudest, has the better connections or pays more will win!
There are not many places in the world, including U.K. or U.S.A. where a car driver killing a 10 year old child will win the case!
In Nigeria he may be lucky to get to prison! Street justice is quick and cheap.
Also prison is not the luxury holiday camp like in the west.
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Aug 07, 2014
SAMBARRY: yes o at the bolded.if you don't have money or anyone to bail you or you don't know any chief or alhaji or senator you better behave yourself otherwise na kirikiri the person go chop half made beans without salt plus stones in it plus cutting grass taya. undecided

too many psychotic people driving this days and putting the lives of other road users at risk undecided

this is one of the reason why the country is so backward and failing miserably.
btw:you are talking as if the guy misbehaved in any way.

worry359:
You obviously have no conception of how Nigerian Police, Security and the justice system operates!
Whatever the true rights or wrongs of the case, the one who shouts loudest, has the better connections or pays more will win!
There are not many places in the world, including U.K. or U.S.A. where a car driver killing a 10 year old child will win the case!

its not about winning or losing a case, it is about this being an accident or not. no matter how much money someone has, if the case goes to trial, RIGHT will win unless the judges are corrupt too. it is what happens before it goes to trial that is the amazing part, especially on the police side.
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by SAMBARRY: 5:26pm On Aug 07, 2014
Lol you are talking about the ideal I am talking about the Nigerian reality. If you have money or your uncle, sugar daddy, boyfriend who is a commisioner or big boy in Nigeria, you can get away with anything including murder or money laundering. Examples bode g, ibori, muhammad abacha etc,

by the way he misbehaved by driving anyhow even if it is express road . you have to be mindful that people too can cross at anytime
MRbrownJAY:

this is one of the reason why the country is so backward and failing miserably.
btw:you are talking as if the guy misbehaved in any way.

its not about winning or losing a case, it is about this being an accident or not. no matter how much money someone has, if the case goes to trial, RIGHT will win unless the judges are corrupt too. it is what happens before that is the amazing part, especially on the police side.
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Aug 07, 2014
^^^Sista, i certainly understand what has Nigeria turned INTO, but i would have to believe that we all know what RIGHT is. so no matter how much oppressed and miserable the lives of people in 9ja can be, WRONG didnt suddenly turn into RIGHT.

as for his erratic driving, so far this has not been confirmed. he could have been driving properly and some careless kid ran out on the road (like it happens so often)

sometimes, pedestrians are the ones to blame, check the video below (especially the child at 1"10 or the stoopid lady at 1"24).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8yRvgSAC1I
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by SAMBARRY: 5:54pm On Aug 07, 2014
Airtel dey misbehave however I'll check it later. Be that as it may, kids will always be kids it is you that is driving that should be more cautious
do you know if he was caught red handed or did that in a residential area he will be lynched instantly and his car burnt.if he's lucky and police arrives there in the nick of time, hr might be rescued.
MRbrownJAY: ^^^Sista, i certainly understand what has Nigeria turned INTO, but i would have to believe that we all know what RIGHT is. so no matter how much oppressed and miserable the lives of people in 9ja can be, WRONG didnt suddenly turn into RIGHT.

as for his erratic driving, so far this has not been confirmed. he could have been driving properly and some careless kid ran out on the road (like it happens so often)

sometimes, pedestrians are the ones to blame, check the video below (especially the child at 1"10 or the stoopid lady at 1"24).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8yRvgSAC1I
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Aug 07, 2014
^^^i cant talk for the stoopidity of people who would lynch such a man, i can certainly think of the amount of would be mob/lynchers i can kill while on the wheel (trying to escape them)....and drive straight to a Police station, claiming self defense.

again, no amount of wrong can make this one RIGHT!
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by soulglo: 6:15pm On Aug 07, 2014
JeffreyJamez:

Then the parents are going to jail that's for sure!!

Absolutely. Why should a child be crossing the express way alone? Where are the parents?

1 Like

Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by soulglo: 6:19pm On Aug 07, 2014
worry359:

You are wrong. Nigerians are just comfortable taking the lazy and corrupt way out of situations. There are many accounts of people going by the law and getting justice. This mentality of short cuts and greasing palms needs to stop in Nigeria. The man needs a lawyer. He likely did not break any laws if indeed he was on an express way. What if he pays the bribe today and tomorrow the family files charges against him? What happens then? He spends the rest of his life looking over his shoulder for the rest of his life. He needs to get a good lawyer and clear his name if he did no wrong.
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by crackhaus: 6:35pm On Aug 07, 2014
@OP, Dude you should calm down a bit. Yes a child died, but talking about jail time is stretching it.

If the driver had all his particulars and papers up to date and it's determined that he wasn't reckless on the road, then it's just a case of highway accident. What I'm thinking is that the police is holding him based on something, probably something to do with his papers and particulars.

It's even a kid, so it's very much possible the child stumbled onto his right of way and he didn't notice it fast enough to avoid collision. Besides, what is he been charged with by the police?

I have been in an accident involving the car I was driving and an Okada rider, the guy was seriously wounded, close to death even. I was the one who stopped and used my car to take him to the emergency room with blood and all soaking the back seat.
When police came, I told them exactly what happened, wrote my statement (my version) even when they kept trying to coerce me into writing what I did not do.

The best thing for you is to maintain composure and act like you know the law, especially if it wasn't your fault...but don't do strong head sha.
The people you owe right now is the family of the deceased, offer them an apology and be genuine. As for the police, they just looking for ways to chop their own money.
The lawyer should be able to get them to grant bail if he really knows what he's doing.
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by SAMBARRY: 7:26pm On Aug 07, 2014
MRbrownJAY: ^^^i cant talk for the stoopidity of people who would lynch such a man, i can certainly think of the amount of would be mob/lynchers i can kill while on the wheel (trying to escape them)....and drive straight to a Police station, claiming self defense.

true. You are right
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Aug 07, 2014
MRbrownJAY: ^^^i cant talk for the stoopidity of people who would lynch such a man, i can certainly think of the amount of would be mob/lynchers i can kill while on the wheel (trying to escape them)....and drive straight to a Police station, claiming self defense.

This is the reality of Nigeria. It's a different world entirely here. Im sure when you come to naija you would hit the express road and sail the car like no worries in paris, bro you might hit 50 people in a day if care is not taken because in Naija we have many categories of road users you may not be used to, listed below:

1. car, buses, trucks ( normal)

2. billions of motorcycles, which we call okada flying everywhere around you as you drive (Not very normal)

3.Citizens, people darting across the road anywhere anytime and at any point. You slow down often when you see them crossing. (Abnormal)

4. Hawkers, kids, youth, women hawking on the road, some giving cars, buses a hot chase to sell their goods to a buyer in a speeding car not considering the danger, you would be driving and you would see like 3 hawkers chasing the speeding car in front of you. (Very abmormal)

This is naija system for you.

1 Like

Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by Nobody: 8:51pm On Aug 07, 2014
^^^bro, i have been to 9ja many times, buses/okada or any other road users are not a problem when driving on an expressway. they may swerve around you but they wont suddenly appear in front of you (miraculously) attempting to cross the road.

what you wrote in #4 made very little sense to me, if a car in front of me has slowed down because of hawkers then i would also be slowing down. how can anyone NOT consider such danger? driving fast can only be done when the road is clear, and not when the car in front of you is trying to buy groudnut?!

now what has to be taken into consideration is people overspeeding because of fear of armed robbery etc OR people who cant drive and just bought their license.....these are the REAL criminals!
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by coogar: 9:13pm On Aug 07, 2014
MRbrownJAY: ^^^bro, i have been to 9ja many times, buses/okada or any other road users are not a problem when driving on an expressway. they may swerve around you but they wont suddenly appear in front of you (miraculously) attempting to cross the road.

what you wrote in #4 made very little sense to me, if a car in front of me has slowed down because of hawkers then i would also be slowing down. how can anyone NOT consider such danger? driving fast can only be done when the road is clear, and not when the car in front of you is trying to buy groudnut?!

now what has to be taken into consideration is people overspeeding because of fear of armed robbery etc OR people who cant drive and just bought their license.....these are the REAL criminals!

actually, his number 4 made the most sense.
how would you know the car in front of you has slowed down when the car has no functional brake lights to warn you. this is nigeria we are talking about, driving there is chaotic.

there are some roads i deliberately avoid even if the alternate route would take me 2-3 hours longer. you have to contend with cars, carts, bikes and brainless pedestrians who just cross the roads without fear or fervour. people still attempt to cross 4-lane expressways in lagos even when there's a pedestrian bridge next to them.
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by Nobody: 9:20pm On Aug 07, 2014
coogar:

actually, his number 4 made the most sense.
how would you know the car in front of you has slowed down when the car has no functional brake lights to warn you. this is nigeria we are talking about, driving there is chaotic.

there are some roads i deliberately avoid even if the alternate route would take me 2-3 hours longer. you have to contend with cars, carts, bikes and brainless pedestrians who just cross the roads without fear or fervour. people still attempt to cross 4-lane expressways in lagos even when there's a pedestrian bridge next to them.

come on bro, we dont drive at speed on an expressway looking at the sunshine, we focus on the road as soon as we give it some speed.....so the minute you see an obstacle in the distance, you slow down (whether its lights are red or not). these are basic road rules, especially if there is someone like a hawker rushing that car. you will have more chances having an accident with a fool who slowed down unexpectedly (on the left lane) to buy something rather than killing someone that was trying to sell something to that slowed down car. now let us all remember that driving fast on the expressway is done one the left side, and what fool would stop in that part of the road to buy from hawker?! if a person does NOT know about the road rules then they are to blame, no one else.
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by coogar: 9:31pm On Aug 07, 2014
MRbrownJAY:

come on bro, we dont drive at speed on an expressway looking at the sunshine, we focus on the road as soon as we give it some speed.....so the minute you see an obstacle in the distance, you slow down. these are basic road rules, especially if there is someone like a hawker rushing that car. you will have more chances having an accident with a fool who slowed down unexpectedly (on the left lane) to buy something rather than killing someone that was trying to sell something to that slowed down car. now let us all remember that driving fast on the expressway is done one the left side, and what fool would stop in that part of the road to buy from hawker?! if a person does NOT know about the road rules then they are to blame, no one else.

lagos drivers don't stop because a hawker is approaching. they stop because they want to let someone alight from the bus or they are picking someone. with no brake-light, you are always in danger of hitting their vehicle.

then there are idiotic hawkers who emerge in between already parked cars. some are rushing to go quickly get more bags of water from the other side of the road because a passenger in the bus just beckoned to him to bring some.

the situation in lagos is pathetic. i don't even know who to blame. the kids risking their lives or the parents sending them on such a dangerous errands.....then the idiotic customers who only remember to buy stuff when their bus is about picking up speed...you see those kids give the bus a hot chase just to collect their money & so on and forth!
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Aug 07, 2014
MRbrownJAY:

come on bro, we dont drive at speed on an expressway looking at the sunshine, we focus on the road as soon as we give it some speed.....so the minute you see an obstacle in the distance, you slow down (whether its lights are red or not). these are basic road rules, especially if there is someone like a hawker rushing that car. you will have more chances having an accident with a fool who slowed down unexpectedly (on the left lane) to buy something rather than killing someone that was trying to sell something to that slowed down car. now let us all remember that driving fast on the expressway is done one the left side, and what fool would stop in that part of the road to buy from hawker?! if a person does NOT know about the road rules then they are to blame, no one else.

Sorry but almost no road rules obeyed in naija.

Talking about the left side of the express, When you have a traffic holdup, hawkers flood the road to sell. Now naija is crazy, when the traffic moves a little, a car on one lane could decide to manouver speedily and get into the front of a car on another lane, so you see cars throttling, bursting forward with speed so that that car manouvering on the side doesnt get into their front.

This is why many cars hit one another even in a heavy traffic in naija and sadly sometimes an unlucky hawker could get caught in the mix by accident.

PS: Are you a yankeenized naija guy or you are a yankee guy who has been to naija?
Re: HELP!!! Accidental Murder By Car: Can He Go To Jail??? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Aug 07, 2014
^^^^ come on bro, if the scenario you described (speedy manoeuvre) is what happened then the guy is indeed to be blamed for the accident, but it would STILL be an accident, and certainly not a manslaughter as someone said earlier. people have to be careful in traffic jams where hawkers can come out of anywhere. btw that CANNOT be call speed/speeding as they wont go at more than 30kmh at best!

the scenario i had in mind is/was someone speeding (90kmh and up), which means on the left lane cleared from traffic..... and suddenly a person/hawker comes out of nowhere. NOT GUILTY of any crime!

coogar:
lagos drivers don't stop because a hawker is approaching. they stop because they want to let someone alight from the bus or they are picking someone. with no brake-light, you are always in danger of hitting their vehicle.
then there are idiotic hawkers who emerge in between already parked cars. some are rushing to go quickly get more bags of water from the other side of the road because a passenger in the bus just beckoned to him to bring some.
the situation in lagos is pathetic. i don't even know who to blame. the kids risking their lives or the parents sending them on such a dangerous errands.....then the idiotic customers who only remember to buy stuff when their bus is about picking up speed...you see those kids give the bus a hot chase just to collect their money & so on and forth!

but bro, no bus would stop on the left lane while the road is clear from traffic, would they? parked cars are on the right side while a speeding car would be on the far left. what am i missing here?!

(1) (2) (Reply)

I'm Not A Big Fan Of ssex! Am I Normal? / Your Wife Tells You A Man Is Asking Her Out: What To Do? / Chaircover,osisi ,BB,outstrip,mukina,and co, the men too, oyb,olabowale . . .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.