Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,273 members, 7,829,612 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:31 AM

The Origin Of The Word Oyibo - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Origin Of The Word Oyibo (36435 Views)

What's The Origin Of Rag Day In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions? / Picture Of Oyibo Cheating In Exam / Prof. Gabriel Oyibo (GAGUT Theorem): Mad man or Genius (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by Nobody: 6:58pm On Aug 08, 2014
Waspy: Stop deceiving yourself OP angry angry.... Ya'll don't have to make it look as if Igbos gat things to prove always or needs to be seen as winners/contenders in some kind of imaginary rat race. Stop the unneccesary aggrandizement angry angry. Its kinda annoying and basically for losers.

For the records tho....Bini and Yorubas had an earlier and longer contact with the whites.. It would make more sense if we agree that they came up with a name for the whites. In fact, the whites wouldnt have called themselves a misnomer of Onyi Igbo, why would they call themselves that or learn to call Igbo pple that??. This is not to add the fact that they felt the slavery blow more too.
Very unreasonable opinion you've made here. I do conform whole-heartedly with the Op; his topic made sense.

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by EMMABC1(m): 6:58pm On Aug 08, 2014
Waspy: Stop deceiving yourself OP angry angry.... Ya'll don't have to make it look as if Igbos gat things to prove always or needs to be seen as winners/contenders in some kind of imaginary rat race. Stop the unneccesary aggrandizement angry angry. Its kinda annoying and basically for losers.

For the records tho....Bini and Yorubas had an earlier and longer contact with the whites.. It would make more sense if we agree that they came up with a name for the whites. In fact, the whites wouldnt have called themselves a misnomer of Onyi Igbo, why would they call themselves that or learn to call Igbo pple that??. This is not to add the fact that they felt the slavery blow more too.
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by safarigirl(f): 6:58pm On Aug 08, 2014
dabossman:

I don't think this is a case of tribalism, but more a case of trying to correct what might be misinformation on the part of the OP. Now we have two perspectives. Maybe at the end of the day, we will have one.
what makes you think the other side isn't a misinformation as well?

Yoruba people must claim everything. It's very annoying, like they must get a one-up on Igbos for all the times they've been served by same people.

That's how one da.ft eediot from some lungu in the deepest part of Ibadan came and claimed most of the slaves sent to America were Yoruba and rained curses on the OP (an African-American) who said 60% of AA are Igbos accusing him of being Igbo. I mean, how pathetic do you have to be to give a detailed explanation of how your forefathers sold their own people with pride?

Well, as long as UN isn't giving out awards for whoever coined the term, I really don't give a flying fVck about the origin of 'oyibo'...sounds Yoruba to me sha

10 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by EMMABC1(m): 6:59pm On Aug 08, 2014

Will I say you are either suffering frm inferiority complex or u are a complete dunce having prob with understanding. The article says Oyinbo is a yoruba word for peeled skin while Oyibo is a shortened Igbo phrase for white man. And oyibo is a popular word used in Nigeria. Why haven't u ask Oduduwa, Ajayi or Awolowo the name they called White men in those days? Is it an Igbo man's fault that Oyibo is now more popular than Oyinbo? Why can't a yoruba man be open-minded and accept facts and figures as they concern Igbo intellectualism. Frm Chike obi, Achebe, Kenneth Dike, Oduah, Emeagwali, nollywood, etc and now to a common to word. Kai! Pls know it today that Pull him down syndrome and jeolousness are inimical to one's progress in life..

11 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by tuffgongjo(m): 7:05pm On Aug 08, 2014
henryobinna: please what did you drink last.
he took Zobo like Amahala.
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by Nobody: 7:08pm On Aug 08, 2014
Oyinbo-yoruba
Oyibo-igbo
Both have convincing theories. Why do we turn everything tribalistic

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by CharlieMaria(m): 7:12pm On Aug 08, 2014
henryobinna: please what did you drink last.
Burukutu grin
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by Nobody: 7:16pm On Aug 08, 2014
Woow !! this discovery is worth celebrating -_-

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by EMMABC1(m): 7:17pm On Aug 08, 2014
charlzchudi: Oyinbo-yoruba
Oyibo-igbo
but they have different meanings, Oyibo being more apt to the meaning.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by EMMABC1(m): 7:21pm On Aug 08, 2014
charlzchudi: Oyinbo-yoruba
Oyibo-igbo
but they have different meanings, Oyibo being more apt. In igboland there two popula towns called Oyibo. One is Oyigbo in Rivers, another is Oyibo in Anambra.
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by Pvin: 7:24pm On Aug 08, 2014
ajoguegbe: What's the origin of Oga is it Igbo or Yoruba?
it is also coined from Igbo. A short form of Ogaranya(a big man who calls the shut)

8 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by MrT2011(m): 7:25pm On Aug 08, 2014

YOU ARE A CURSE!!! TO YOUR GENERATION!!!

YOU WILL DIE IN THE OCEAN OF MISERY!!!

DEATHS WILL BE YOUR COMPASSION FOREVER.

QUOTE ME AM WAITING.

3 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by smallJagaban: 7:28pm On Aug 08, 2014
OYINBO IS A YORUBA

#WHEN WILL IBO
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by smallJagaban: 7:29pm On Aug 08, 2014
OYINBO IS A YORUBA LANGUAGE
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by nothingdou1(m): 7:30pm On Aug 08, 2014
From my candid opinion,I'm not really here to support or oppose the op.But I'm here to advice my brothers from the west to see igbos as non competitive tribe,rather a tribe of creativity and that's y they excel in all they do cos they don't compete they create n set the pace.who God has ϐłêšš let no man curse!

3 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by richyfunky(m): 7:32pm On Aug 08, 2014
nerodenero: The OP is a joke.Lifting a writeup that isn't his and not acknowledging the source is criminal in nature.In my NYSC days in Anambra State,my Local Government Inspector's name was Oyibo Okolo.This claim could be true about oyibo being an Igbo name for whites.

Njikoka LGA, nice
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by nerodenero: 7:36pm On Aug 08, 2014
richyfunky:

Njikoka LGA, nice
grin grin grin grin
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by Nobody: 7:41pm On Aug 08, 2014
EMMABC1:
but they have different meanings, Oyibo being more apt. In igboland there two popula towns called Oyibo. One is Oyigbo in Rivers, another is Oyibo in Anambra.

Yorubas I'm sure came in contact with the White men b4 coming in contact with the Igbos and vice versa...

So it's fair to say both Yorubas and Igbos coined some words to describe the White man...

Yorubas don't just use Oyinbo, they use eebo, Eyinbo, etc, depending on which Yoruba dialect is being used....

The OP might be right by breaking down Oyi and bo to connote some meaning for white man in Igbo....

Why people say Oyinbo is a Yoruba origin is because it fits perfectly into Yoruba vocabulary without attaching any long history or name of a location to it....

Oyi..twister, wind, turn...

yin....scratch...
bo--pale, peel....

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by omokab: 7:45pm On Aug 08, 2014
Mr.op why are you fooling youself on unnecessary argument?oyinbo have no traces of ibo dielet from any angle.the white men arrive yoruba land before they even no where called ibo land.the yoruba of then have their reason of calling White men oyinbo as at that time.if you want to know the fact from the origin you wl do your reseach by trying to find out what an average yoruba man and woman of early time called the white men likewwise ibo people of that time.yoruba of then called white, oyinbo alawo funfun.That's what our forefather called the white men.pls, go and do your research very well and stop credting what does not belong to your tribe again.Thanks

3 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by AnanseK(m): 7:45pm On Aug 08, 2014
homerac7:

It does not in anyway discredit the postulation of OP.

Alubosa is part of Nigera north-south acculturation . ALUBOSA is onion in Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba along with hundreds of other minority languages. Same as box for APOTI in Yoruba, AKPATI in Igbo and AKWATI in Hausa. Rice is SHINKFA in Hausa while it is OSHIKPA/OSHIPAKA in Igbo. Numerous words as such aren't peculiar to a language.

And the origin of the onion name which is "al-basa " in Hausa. "Al-basal" in Arabic.
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by ROYALD(m): 7:46pm On Aug 08, 2014
omowolewa: Nice one

But I think 'Behkkeh' is the Ibo word for Oyinbo.

Or can we say 'Alubosa' (Onion) has a Ibo origin due to the fact that there is a word 'Alu' in Ibo language?

If 'Onye-Ibo' is person from Ibo land,

'Onye-Behkkeh' should be the Ibo translation of person from western nation
(No offence intended pls).
omowolewa if i happen to be your teacher i would have fractured you

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by ROYALD(m): 7:47pm On Aug 08, 2014
omokab: Mr.op why are you fooling youself on unnecessary argument?oyinbo have no traces of ibo dielet from any angle.the white men arrive yoruba land before they even no where called ibo land.the yoruba of then have their reason of calling White men oyinbo as at that time.if you want to know the fact from the origin you wl do your reseach by trying to find out what an average yoruba man and woman of early time called the white men likewwise ibo people of that time.yoruba of then called white, oyinbo alawo funfun.That's what our forefather called the white men.pls, go and do your research very well and stop credting what does not belong to your tribe again.Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyibo
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by ROYALD(m): 7:48pm On Aug 08, 2014
[quote author=oboman]

Yorubas I'm sure came in contact with the White men b4 coming in contact with the Igbos and vice versa...

So it's fair to say both Yorubas and Igbos coined some words to describe the White man...

Yorubas don't just use Oyinbo, they use eebo, Eyinbo, etc, depending on which Yoruba dialect is being used....

The OP might be right by breaking down Oyi and bo to connote some meaning for white man in Igbo....

Why people say Oyinbo is a Yoruba origin is because it fits perfectly into Yoruba vocabulary without attaching any long history or name of a location to it....

Oyi..twister, wind, turn...

yin....scratch...
bo--pale, peel....

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by ROYALD(m): 7:48pm On Aug 08, 2014
blesszzy: Dem go still fight for this topic today. for me oyinbo sounds like a yoruba language.
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by ROYALD(m): 7:49pm On Aug 08, 2014
smallJagaban: OYINBO IS A YORUBA LANGUAGE

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by Nobody: 7:50pm On Aug 08, 2014
Pvin:
it is also coined from Igbo. A short form of Ogaranya(a big man who calls the shut)

Hahahhahahha. Claim everything na.you people also coined the word ashewo, Oya, abi, shey, be claiming everything. Lmao

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by Adelaide2: 7:52pm On Aug 08, 2014
zendy:

I'm not sure about the origins of the word 'Oyibo' but in Olaudah Equianos book (Olauda was an Igbo slave who was sold off in the West Indies in the 18th century but later regained his freedom and wrote about his experience) he stated that Igbos called foreigners who came to trade in the market place 'Oyibo'.

And at the time of Olauda Equiano, there was no record of Igbos living in Yoruba land and thus learning their language. So Oyibo is either Igbo or it evolved simultaneously but independently in Igboland (as Oyibo) and in Yorubaland (as Oyinbo)

Taking a different look, it sounds more Yoruba than Igbo though, but WTF. It does not solve anything
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by Waspy(m): 7:54pm On Aug 08, 2014
MrT2011:

YOU ARE A CURSE!!! TO YOUR GENERATION!!!

YOU WILL DIE IN THE OCEAN OF MISERY!!!

DEATHS WILL BE YOUR COMPASSION FOREVER.

QUOTE ME AM WAITING.
You got nothing on me a***hole grin grin

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by EMMABC1(m): 7:55pm On Aug 08, 2014
omokab: Mr.op why are you fooling youself on unnecessary argument?oyinbo have no traces of ibo dielet from any angle.the white men arrive yoruba land before they even no where called ibo land.the yoruba of then have their reason of calling White men oyinbo as at that time.if you want to know the fact from the origin you wl do your reseach by trying to find out what an average yoruba man and woman of early time called the white men likewwise ibo people of that time.yoruba of then called white, oyinbo alawo funfun.That's what our forefather called the white men.pls, go and do your research very well and stop credting what does not belong to your tribe again.Thanks
And Igbos called them Oyibo. So, what is ur headache. I hope u will not lose sleep over this.

3 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by homerac7: 7:55pm On Aug 08, 2014
AnanseK:
And the origin of the onion name which is "al-basa " in Hausa. "Al-basal" in Arabic.

Oh, really?! Thanks for the lesson bro!

@ others, thanks for the correction on my earlier post.
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by Infoay: 7:57pm On Aug 08, 2014
Good analysis....

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by Nobody: 7:57pm On Aug 08, 2014

As in I am so irritated. See the way they claim everything. They claim other people's lands and now want to claim language. Wtf. That's what yorubas call white people, Oyinbo alawo fun fun. That was the full meaning before they shortened it to Oyinbo. If u don't correct it, that is how the story will keep changing and then the generations yet unborn will believe Oyinbo is an igbo word. Do not allow anybody rewrite your history.

The mere fact that the yorubas and binis were in contact wiv the whites long before any other group, says a lot. But on a second note. Both tribes have similar meaning.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Photo: School Without Walls In Abuja / Adekunle Ajasin University Ondo Shut Down Over Protest. Photos / I Need List Of Topics For My Seminar (b.sc Microbiology)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.