Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,411 members, 7,830,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:47 PM

The Origin Of The Word Oyibo - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Origin Of The Word Oyibo (36437 Views)

What's The Origin Of Rag Day In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions? / Picture Of Oyibo Cheating In Exam / Prof. Gabriel Oyibo (GAGUT Theorem): Mad man or Genius (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by dapsonlou(m): 7:59pm On Aug 08, 2014
Why do Igbo people like claiming everything for themselves? Oyinbo means peeled skin in Yoruba and oga means someone high , do u guys think we will forget our language cos u claim it for yourself?

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by MrT2011(m): 8:00pm On Aug 08, 2014
Waspy: You got nothing on me a***hole grin grin

You will until your curse will begin.

I am the DEVIL behind you - following you everywhere you go!
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by Nobody: 8:00pm On Aug 08, 2014
Which Area Did The White Visited First In Nigeria? I Need Reference On This And The Origin Of Oyibo.
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by OdenigboAroli(m): 8:01pm On Aug 08, 2014
homerac7:

It does not in anyway discredit the postulation of OP.

Alubosa is part of Nigera north-south acculturation . ALUBOSA is onion in Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba along with hundreds of other minority languages. Same as box for APOTI in Yoruba, AKPATI in Igbo and AKWATI in Hausa. Rice is SHINKFA in Hausa while it is OSHIKPA/OSHIPAKA in Igbo. Numerous words as such aren't peculiar to a language.

Albosa is a northern word....we in Anambra call onion "yabas".
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by Nobody: 8:05pm On Aug 08, 2014
Okada (motorcycle) is also an igbo word.

Here's the story as my grandfather narrated to us.

When the first motorcycles were brought to Lagos, Nigeria, everybody was surprised.

When passengers rode on it, people taught they would fall off the bike, because it was not like the bicycle that was pedaled

When ever people rode on the bike, Nigerians would ask themselves, "he would have fallen down"

The igbo would say "o ka ada" ....meaning (he would have fallen down).

The bikes created then were not as strong as the modern ones and people fell from it easily.

The igbo phrase "o ka ada" grew so popular around Lagos and its environs that it finally became the nickname of the motorcycle

Source: My late grandfather, who never lies.

5 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by henryobinna(m): 8:05pm On Aug 08, 2014
CharlieMaria:
Burukutu grin
hahaha... definitely
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by Waspy(m): 8:07pm On Aug 08, 2014
sandijey:

As in I am so irritated. See the way they claim everything. They claim other people's lands and now want to claim language. Wtf. That's what yorubas call white people, Oyinbo alawo fun fun. That was the full meaning before they shortened it to Oyinbo. If u don't correct it, that is how the story will keep changing and then the generations yet unborn will believe Oyinbo is an igbo word. Do not allow anybody rewrite your history.

The mere fact that the yorubas and binis were in contact wiv the whites long before any other group, says a lot. But on a second note. Both tribes have similar meaning.
These are my thoughts exactly, now some goons are all over me like they want to give heads angry undecided angry. I wonder why they always come up with stuffs like this, trying to measure up as if they Tyson against Evander grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by henryobinna(m): 8:10pm On Aug 08, 2014
tuffgongjo: he took Zobo like Amahala.
hahaha..
imagine.. that her manager self na wa oh
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by continentalceo(m): 8:11pm On Aug 08, 2014
Waspy: Stop deceiving yourself OP angry angry.... Ya'll don't have to make it look as if Igbos gat things to prove always or needs to be seen as winners/contenders in some kind of imaginary rat race. Stop the unneccesary aggrandizement angry angry. Its kinda annoying and basically for losers.

For the records tho....Bini and Yorubas had an earlier and longer contact with the whites.. It would make more sense if we agree that they came up with a name for the whites. In fact, the whites wouldnt have called themselves a misnomer of Onyi Igbo, why would they call themselves that or learn to call Igbo pple that??. This is not to add the fact that they felt the slavery blow more too.

I see deep anger and pain in you boy, resentment and hate has eating down ur spine. Now bitterness has overtaken your brain. I suggest you seek therapy bcus what will cure ur case is not on this Post or on Nairaland as a matter of fact...No matter how much you hate on the igbos, we will still run things and this will only break you heart further. save yourself now boy and seek therapy cus in your case a stitch in time will save 500more! Now wipe ur tears boy! Lol

8 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by EMMABC1(m): 8:11pm On Aug 08, 2014
sandijey:

Hahahhahahha. Claim everything na.you people also coined the word ashewo, Oya, abi, shey, be claiming everything. Lmao
Yes we know that d words u listed above originate frm yoruba. However we have our equivalent of those words which are popular too. In Igbo Oya is Ngwa, Ashewo is akwuna or onye akwuna, abi and shey mean okwa ya. See, my people are open-minded and progressives. He is right about Oga which is derived frm ogaranga ( a big man who calls the shot). If u dispute it, then tell us your own.

6 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by Waspy(m): 8:11pm On Aug 08, 2014
MrT2011:

You will until your curse will begin.

I am the DEVIL behind you - following you everywhere you go!
Keep following goon... you are meant to....you are born to come behind. As*licker. Keep at it loser/attache-by-force
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by azezola(m): 8:17pm On Aug 08, 2014
Omo aje okuta mamu mi don come again ooo, inferiority complex Igbo people.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by EMMABC1(m): 8:18pm On Aug 08, 2014
Alexkene: Okada (motorcycle) is also an igbo word.

When the first motorcycles were brought to Lagos, Nigeria, everybody was surprised.

When passengers rode on it, people taught they would fall off the bike, because it was not like the bicycle that was pedaled

When ever people rode on the bike, Nigerians would ask themselves, "he would have fallen down"

The bikes created then were not as strong as the modern ones and people fell from it easily.

The igbo phrase "o ka ada" grew so popularly around Lagos and its environs that it finally became the nickname of the motorcycle

You cud be right anyway. But popularly, Okada is an Edo word.

4 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by EMMABC1(m): 8:19pm On Aug 08, 2014
Alexkene: Okada (motorcycle) is also an igbo word.

The igbo phrase "o ka ada" grew so popularly around Lagos and its environs that it finally became the nickname of the motorcycle

You cud be right anyway. But popularly, Okada is an Edo (benin) word.
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by smallJagaban: 8:23pm On Aug 08, 2014
ROYALD:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyibo

You mean wikipedia anyone can edit to suit his or herself
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by EMMABC1(m): 8:23pm On Aug 08, 2014
dapsonlou: Why do Igbo people like claiming everything for themselves? Oyinbo means peeled skin in Yoruba and oga means someone high , do u guys think we will forget our language cos u claim it for yourself?
Aren't u s2upid. How does a peeled skin mean white man. Are the two synonymous?

6 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by Nobody: 8:38pm On Aug 08, 2014
EMMABC1:

Me sef dey wonder ooo

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by Ihuomadinihu: 9:08pm On Aug 08, 2014
EMMABC1:
I wonder. Tribalism and sentiments will not allow them to see the truth.

3 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by redsun(m): 9:10pm On Aug 08, 2014
Alexkene:

Me sef dey wonder ooo

Peeled skin means underneath the black skin,like a burnt out black skin.My ancestors thought they were taboos/wraths from the gods that should never be dealt with,go near or touched
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by fearlessigboman(m): 9:14pm On Aug 08, 2014
Oyibo has nd wil always will be from the Igbos... I don't care for Oyinbo... oyibo is 100% Igbo..

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by heedsa10: 9:14pm On Aug 08, 2014
u know y I hate naira land? pple abuse and pass insults to themselves anyhow. cant you pple show some decorum. we argue to learn, I don't blv you have to insult the other person simply because he does not buy to you idea or your view.
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by AnanseK(m): 9:25pm On Aug 08, 2014
The Hausa no deh inside this fooolish argument. They call the whiteman Bature and white woman Baturia. This is from the British Queen Victoria who reigned from 1837 to 1901. Every whiteman is called Bature and the white woman Baturia ( Victorian ). Britain and in fact the whole of Europe is called Turai.
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by omowolewa: 9:28pm On Aug 08, 2014
Thank God you were not.
ROYALD:
omowolewa if i happen to be your teacher i would have fractured you
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by Ranchhoddas: 9:40pm On Aug 08, 2014
ajoguegbe: What's the origin of Oga is it Igbo or Yoruba?
it's yoruba... O ga meaning he's big.
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by timilehing(m): 9:50pm On Aug 08, 2014
Codedrock: What the??

Lets cut the crap now!
Oyinbo or Oyibo which ever one is it everybody knows it is a YORUBA WORD!
stop stealing other people's language!
No mind those igbo ppl jare. dere language no complete, na borrow borrow dem dey

Guess next topic will be: "What is the origin of 'Oga & Oya'"
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by timilehing(m): 9:54pm On Aug 08, 2014
fearlessigboman: Oyibo has nd wil always will be from the Igbos... I don't care for Oyinbo... oyibo is 100% Igbo..
Really? then, "Oga, Abi & Oya" are igbo too?? ndi ara. Igbo would say: i na-asu beekee meaning "do you speak english. wher oyinbo kon take enter am? iwu grade 1 iti

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by timilehing(m): 10:00pm On Aug 08, 2014
EMMABC1:
Yes we know that d words u listed above originate frm yoruba. However we have our equivalent of those words which are popular too. In Igbo Oya is Ngwa, Ashewo is akwuna or onye akwuna, abi and shey mean okwa ya. See, my people are open-minded and progressives. He is right about Oga which is derived frm ogaranga ( a big man who calls the shot). If u dispute it, then tell us your own.
When u ve those words na asusu igbo, i wonder y u ppl neglected it for d Yoruba words. Ofeke
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by timilehing(m): 10:09pm On Aug 08, 2014
Pvin:
it is also coined from Igbo. A short form of Ogaranya(a big man who calls the shut)
the "oga" in that ogaranya is (do-do) while d real "oga" is (do-mi)..

Ndi Igbos na Nairaland, your claim of superiority is getting outta hand. Be a good followers &u'll learn a lot. Una aghota??

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by jamace(m): 10:15pm On Aug 08, 2014
Waspy: Stop deceiving yourself OP angry angry.... Ya'll don't have to make it look as if Igbos gat things to prove always or needs to be seen as winners/contenders in some kind of imaginary rat race. Stop the unneccesary aggrandizement angry angry. Its kinda annoying and basically for losers.

For the records tho....Bini and Yorubas had an earlier and longer contact with the whites.. It would make more sense if we agree that they came up with a name for the whites. In fact, the whites wouldnt have called themselves a misnomer of Onyi Igbo, why would they call themselves that or learn to call Igbo pple that??. This is not to add the fact that they felt the slavery blow more too.
So, tell us what the binis and yorubas call the "oyibos" or are you telling us the binis and yorubas started/coined the name for the whites? Please complete your argument so that we know the truth.

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by redsun(m): 10:20pm On Aug 08, 2014
Oyinbo pepper,if you eatee pepper,you yellow more more.It was more like nursery rhyme when i was growing up.
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by omokab: 10:40pm On Aug 08, 2014
EMMABC1:
And Igbos called them Oyibo. So, what is ur headache. I hope u will not lose sleep over this.
mr man I have no single headache on this but just to correct your impression on unnecessary lie you are trying to tell your people.Is somebody like you that started the spread of telling people on the internet that driking of salt cure Ebola while it is harmful to heath.As people use alubosa as an example,alubosa is not a nigeria language is an Arabic language but people credit it Hausa been that they are the largest producer of Alubosa and they are conversant with Arabic language.It is a borrowed language.
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by Desola(f): 10:43pm On Aug 08, 2014
timilehing: the "oga" in that ogaranya is (do-do) while d real "oga" is (do-mi)..

Ndi Igbos na Nairaland, your claim of superiority is getting outta hand. Be a good followers &u'll learn a lot. Una aghota??

YOU killed it!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

I Need List Of Topics For My Seminar (b.sc Microbiology) / That Student Of Bowen University Impregnated VC's Wife Is False - Twitter User / Kaduna University Hikes Tuition Fees From N26000 To N500000 For Non Indigenes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.