Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,141 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa (19045 Views)

Naira Drops To 251/dollar, External Reserves Now $29.7bn / N25.7bn Fraud: Court Frees Francis Atuche / MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by Okeikpu(m): 8:58am On Aug 09, 2014
iwonbaoko: You no get sense!! they just bleeped Nigeria $2.5 billion and you are here feeling cool. How many Nigerian companies are taking $2.5 billion out of SA
1st time you reason like human being -wink xD 2battles of Amstel 4you.

Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by Okeikpu(m): 9:07am On Aug 09, 2014
Abiagirl777:

is it Glo dat is better?2 mths now i've been trying to reach dem but a woman kips answering in yoruba,no language option.is evry body in Nigeria yoruba.i'm afta quality not being patriotic
Mtn is great in my area.

Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by Nobody: 9:12am On Aug 09, 2014
MTN SA is busy giving their subscribers R120 airtime for every R6 spent, and they gave 500MB to all their subscribers

Maybe its a tactic to Gain more Subscribers in south africa

1 Like

Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by Nawtiguy: 9:13am On Aug 09, 2014
They make so much money from Nigeria yet they are reducing staff and downsizing. Using our money to improve other countries

1 Like

Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by Dreyl(m): 9:24am On Aug 09, 2014
LMAyedun: MTN milking Nigerians dry since 1953.

Lets wake up Nigerians and discard MTN like SA did and are still doing.. Afterall, MTN is one of the poorest network provider in this country.
spot on

1 Like

Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by Kirinwa: 9:37am On Aug 09, 2014

Lets wake up Nigerians and discard MTN like SA did and are still doing.. Afterall, MTN is one of the poorest network provider in this country.

Supported. MTN knows how to tap into my account.I will subscribe with my BB data yet they dip their filthy hands into my account balance.

Seems SA have a more responsible government you can count on to complain to. They have not solved our power problem when am being charged 9000 naira monthly on PHCH without seeing light up to 4 days in a month if combined.
My light has problem I will still pay them to fix it.Bleep our goernment!

2 Likes

Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by Nobody: 9:42am On Aug 09, 2014
kobonaire: true but Nigeria has also gained more .... think of the employment, secondary industries that exist because of MTN's operations etc ..all that values to much more than the $2.5B that they took out.. you do not blindly nationalize your companies, the world is becoming a global village and so you have to open your markets/economy to foreign investment.
It is true we need foreign investors but we need them in those areas where we cannot operate or compete. The telecommunication industry is not complex at all and Nigeria should raise our game in this sector we should have the biggest company in Africa. The main barrier is capital not know-how which can be bought in easily
It is also a very sensititive industry in these days of security challenges and espionage. The reason why MTN is doing well is because we have the biggest market but we are not organized in business at these levels. This is equally true in the airline industry where we are getting screwed by another set of companies and yet Nigerians continue to feel cool making stupid songs like "maga don pay" . When you think about it deeply ,as a nation we are MAGAS and we are paying!!!

We do not align our education to face realities. Let us look at Nollywood e.g where we hhave an edge where are the international TV networks where are the Universities offering courses in Modern Film,broadcasting,cinema special effects etc? We need to wake up

2 Likes

Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by switsylver: 9:43am On Aug 09, 2014

we can't discard mtn cos despite it's poor browsing speed, it still remains the network that provides most affordable service in Nigeria
Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by danthamccoy(m): 9:48am On Aug 09, 2014
JUO: I pay them over 10k on data monthly
You have money na. Or you're just an ediot. Or maybe both. Don't mind me.
Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by Nobody: 10:10am On Aug 09, 2014
I make 40dollars frm dis website everyday.. Dont be let out join now its free

http://tureprofit.com/?ref=Fastclick
Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by benarex(m): 10:37am On Aug 09, 2014
Very sad. But how can a company performing below optimal level make such an amount of profit? Something is wrong somewhere. It's either the consumers are too blind or something somewhere is protecting the company. Another thing that baffles me is why are the rest service providers not able to compete well with this mtn?
Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by HandOfChukwu: 11:16am On Aug 09, 2014
Why are some of you people excited about a s1tty white owned company that isn't going to invest anything into the land of Nigeria making 2.5 billion off of us in 1 month?

I use Globabcom because they are Nigerian and they are also the better company, I also have a Innoson SUV because if you don't buy Nigerian products the economy will NEVER grow.

2 Likes

Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by Nobody: 11:21am On Aug 09, 2014
macjosh:

you don't expect SA to beat us with our population. we are almost x2 of south Africa. when Nigerian companies start to develop good business strategies, we will topple that amount
You too you no get sense. Nigerian companies?? Start to develop good business strategies How?? By Holy Ghost Fire? By TB Joshua? How exactly? Nigerians refuse to operate like adults often livin in a fantasy world. We have a large population this is true but most of our population are idiots and imbeciles. We believe in "sowing seeds, night vigil and money rituals and all kinds of supernatural solutions to our daily problems.
Our "maga don pay" for them alagbari MTN
What is the biggest company in the Nigeria film industry today?

1 Like

Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by osystein(m): 11:49am On Aug 09, 2014
HandOfChukwu: Why are some of you people excited about a s1tty white owned company that isn't going to invest anything into the land of Nigeria making 2.5 billion off of us in 1 month?

I use Globabcom because they are Nigerian and they are also the better company, I also have a Innoson SUV because if you don't buy Nigerian products the economy will NEVER grow.

MTN is black owned.. do your research..

1 Like

Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by HandOfChukwu: 12:01pm On Aug 09, 2014
osystein:

MTN is black owned.. do your research..
Prove it....I don believe you..
Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by osystein(m): 12:19pm On Aug 09, 2014
HandOfChukwu: Prove it....I don believe you..

Hmmm, Here are quotes from this article.

"The Turkcell case threatens to tarnish the reputation of both MTN -- a black-run company widely seen as a post-apartheid success story --.and the South African government, including former President Thabo Mbeki."

and

MTN's strong ties to the government are well documented: the company was set up with government help in 1994 as the first black- owned company after the end of apartheid.

http://mg.co.za/index.php?view=article&urlid=2012-03-30-mtn-shares-slide-amid-bribery-scandal&views=1&mobi=true&KEY=gnros30qjoovgfucnds81fsup1

mtn group
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTN_Group

1 Like

Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by slap1(m): 1:05pm On Aug 09, 2014
And they still can't give us affordable android data plans...
Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by Nobody: 2:20pm On Aug 09, 2014
i know my money is in this billions just made by mtn, stealing me blind since 2001
Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by Nobody: 2:38pm On Aug 09, 2014
Abiagirl777:

is it Glo dat is better?2 mths now i've been trying to reach dem but a woman kips answering in yoruba,no language option.is evry body in Nigeria yoruba.i'm afta quality not being patriotic
Mtn is great in my area.
True, Glo network is more slower than a snail.
Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by HandOfChukwu: 3:45pm On Aug 09, 2014
osystein:

Hmmm, Here are quotes from this article.

"The Turkcell case threatens to tarnish the reputation of both MTN -- a black-run company widely seen as a post-apartheid success story --.and the South African government, including former President Thabo Mbeki."

and

MTN's strong ties to the government are well documented: the company was set up with government help in 1994 as the first black- owned company after the end of apartheid.

http://mg.co.za/index.php?view=article&urlid=2012-03-30-mtn-shares-slide-amid-bribery-scandal&views=1&mobi=true&KEY=gnros30qjoovgfucnds81fsup1

mtn group
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTN_Group
I would like to believe MTN is a black owned company, and maybe they are or were but after a quick look on their website, it shows that out of 11 executive board of directors only 2 are black, one is the CEO of the company and one is the CEO of MTN Nigeria, the rest are white and Asian. I find it hard to believe that those uneducated South African bush men could make something as big as MTN, but if they did then good, either way I will still continue using GLO.

1 Like

Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by asudan: 4:15pm On Aug 09, 2014
MTN Nigeria will continue to dominate the market until other service providers change their market strategies and focus on what the consumers want. take for instance Airtel over throwing Glo to top 2 and might top 1 very soon if care is not taken. just look at the freebies given by Glo to lure subscribers but they can't meet up or maintain standards. they just reduce validity period to 2days on the Glo bounce plan(the free mb plan),increase in call rate within the network from 5k/sec to 9k/sec.some persons blame ncc when from what I observed ncc favours them more. take a look all bands given to mtn and Glo on flat rate and removal of family and friends, yet they went ahead to introduce Glo ringa plan and 9k/sec to Glo numbers. who is deceiving who here.
Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by vickysolo(m): 5:05pm On Aug 09, 2014
iwonbaoko: You no get sense!! they just bleeped Nigeria $2.5 billion and you are here feeling cool. How many Nigerian companies are taking $2.5 billion out of SA
you are on point

1 Like

Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by deeobserver209(m): 5:49pm On Aug 09, 2014
I just wished the increase profits and yearly turnovers of MTN is directly proportional to the quality of the services provided.

1 Like

Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by deeobserver209(m): 5:56pm On Aug 09, 2014
switsylver: we can't discard mtn cos despite it's poor browsing speed, it still remains the network that provides most affordable service in Nigeria
You are wrong. Their products are expensive. The only advantage MTN have over other networks is wider network coverage. Glo network provides the cheapest service in Nigeria, though their signal is too poor in my area.

2 Likes

Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by kobonaire(m): 6:26pm On Aug 09, 2014
iwonbaoko: It is true we need foreign investors but we need them in those areas where we cannot operate or compete. The telecommunication industry is not complex at all and Nigeria should raise our game in this sector we should have the biggest company in Africa. The main barrier is capital not know-how which can be bought in easily
It is also a very sensititive industry in these days of security challenges and espionage. The reason why MTN is doing well is because we have the biggest market but we are not organized in business at these levels. This is equally true in the airline industry where we are getting screwed by another set of companies and yet Nigerians continue to[b] feel cool making stupid songs like "maga don pay" . When you think about it deeply ,as a nation we are MAGAS and we are paying[/b]!!!

We do not align our education to face realities. Let us look at Nollywood e.g where we hhave an edge where are the international TV networks where are the Universities offering courses in Modern Film,broadcasting,cinema special effects etc? We need to wake up
I agree with you on some points here .. I know your reaction was to my first comment here .. I was really just stoking the rivalry we feel we have with SA .. especially on NL (SA is a member of BRICS, we should be able to aspire to be a BRICS nation too). I do agree with you that we get caught up in the the success of some fraudulent operations/individuals. Though i think we choose to be magas in Nigeria because it's a well known fact that Nigerians in diaspora excel legally.
I don't agree that the telecoms is an easy technology industry. Sure these service providers to do not invent the technology 4G LTE, or make the complex equipment (transmitters, switches, amplifiers etc) but they do have challenging operations : RF planning, infrastructure install and deployment, customer service and management, frequency licenscing and procurement, permits, just to mention a few. MTN has excelled in this respect and yes they have made a lot of Nigeria, but Nigeria has definitely gained more. If this was an easy operation there would have been other successful providers.
I totally agree with you that we need massive investment in Nollywood especially with the talent and existing relative popularity. The Bollywood industry has been able to do so and I feel we can be the beacon for Africa in the entertainment industry.
Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by Nobody: 6:46pm On Aug 09, 2014
kobonaire: I agree with you on some points here .. I know your reaction was to my first comment here .. I was really just stoking the rivalry we feel we have with SA .. especially on NL (SA is a member of BRICS, we should be able to aspire to be a BRICS nation too). I do agree with you that we get caught up in the the success of some fraudulent operations/individuals. Though i think we choose to be magas in Nigeria because it's a well known fact that Nigerians in diaspora excel legally.
I don't agree that the telecoms is an easy technology industry. Sure these service providers to do not invent the technology 4G LTE, or make the complex equipment (transmitters, switches, amplifiers etc) but they do have challenging operations : RF planning, infrastructure install and deployment, customer service and management, frequency licenscing and procurement, permits, just to mention a few. MTN has excelled in this respect and yes they have made a lot of Nigeria, but Nigeria has definitely gained more. If this was an easy operation there would have been other successful providers.
I totally agree with you that we need massive investment in Nollywood especially with the talent and existing relative popularity. The Bollywood industry has been able to do so and I feel we can be the beacon for Africa in the entertainment industry.

Why should we aspire to be a BRICS country? I don't get it.
I did not say that telecomms is "EASY" no business is easy otherwise everyone would be a business man. There is a world of difference between a thing being "not complex" and a thing being easy it is more than a semantic nuance. I never used the words easy but many things are very simple (not complex) but difficult. eg it is not a complex operation to score a penalty it is not an easy thing to do however.
I am not an English teacher please.
I don't know whether Nigeria has gained "MORE" as you claim, that is speculation without facts and figures. My point is we do not need foreign firms to do what MTN does especially as that is a very sensitive security industry. It is not as if proprietary technology are involved.
Mobile phone companies have the capacity to record every single telephone conversation not to mention internet traffic. We should be wary of giving that to foreign businesses
Glo is a company without a track record of note it is essentially a start-up. How many industries can one go into as a billion dollar start up and succeed. The issue of complexity as I stated it is a relative one. The mobile telephony business in Nigeria today is not complex when one takes into account the capital involved. Logistics is a very fancy word but for me selling a new alternative to Gulder or Guinness in Nigeria is more complex than the mobile telephony business especially as the phone companies operate within a very loose regulatory framework with standards that are far from challenging
Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by Skmoda360(m): 7:44pm On Aug 09, 2014
theplanmaker: cash made from robbing Nigerians
Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by kobonaire(m): 8:09pm On Aug 09, 2014
iwonbaoko:
Why should we aspire to be a BRICS country? I don't get it.
I did not say that telecomms is "EASY" no business is easy otherwise everyone would be a business man. There is a world of difference between a thing being "not complex" and a thing being easy it is more than a semantic nuance. I never used the words easy but many things are very simple (not complex) but difficult. eg it is not a complex operation to score a penalty it is not an easy thing to do however.
I am not an English teacher please.
I don't know whether Nigeria has gained "MORE" as you claim, that is speculation without facts and figures. My point is we do not need foreign firms to do what MTN does especially as that is a very sensitive security industry. It is not as if proprietary technology are involved.
Mobile phone companies have the capacity to record every single telephone conversation not to mention internet traffic. We should be wary of giving that to foreign businesses
Glo is a company without a track record of note it is essentially a start-up. How many industries can one go into as a billion dollar start up and succeed. The issue of complexity as I stated it is a relative one. The mobile telephony business in Nigeria today is not complex when one takes into account the capital involved. Logistics is a very fancy word but for me selling a new alternative to Gulder or Guinness in Nigeria is more complex than the mobile telephony business especially as the phone companies operate within a very loose regulatory framework with standards that are far from challenging
what the big deal of foreign telecom companies investing in telecoms? Vodaphone UK once had majority shares in once of the largest US Mobile phone companies (verizon). T Mobile is German and also operates in the US.
Toyota and Japan are foreign companies having very successful operations in the UK. Do you see a push to nationalize domestic auto companies there? Why should we have any angst or hostility against MTN? Are they a security threat? Have the breached any security? The mobile phone technology is a blend of propriety and open source technologies. I do not think it's on the same level as producing beer my guy.
We reach an economic milestone if we BRICS becomes BRICSN .... till then we have to figure out how to have 24x7 electricity in any 1 city in Naija.
Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by Nobody: 8:33pm On Aug 09, 2014
kobonaire: what the big deal of foreign telecom companies investing in telecoms? Vodaphone UK once had majority shares in once of the largest US Mobile phone companies (verizon). T Mobile is German and also operates in the US.
Toyota and Japan are foreign companies having very successful operations in the UK. Do you see a push to nationalize domestic auto companies there? Why should we have any angst or hostility against MTN? Are they a security threat? Have the breached any security? The mobile phone technology is a blend of propriety and open source technologies. I do not think it's on the same level as producing beer my guy.
We reach an economic milestone if we BRICS becomes BRICSN .... till then we have to figure out how to have 24x7 electricity in any 1 city in Naija.
It s not for me to educate you on the "big deal" educate yourself you are an adult!
UK and the US are military allies they have so many shared interests as is the case with Germany. would the US allow a Chinese or Russian company to own Verizon. It is a strategic sector that needs closer monitoring. Recently we heard that our military used mobile phone networks operationally in their fight against Boko Haram let us not make false arguments with half-truths. Toyota is not relevant to this very specific point. I have no specific hostility to MTN but ANY telecomm company is potentially a security threat. As we see in the recent struggle with Russia and China Multinationals are a tool of foreign policy. Obama hosted African leader last week and announced $14 billion investment is he the CEO of any company? Still he is in a position to make such an announcement ,how? why?

Different countries have different strategic horizons and partners and this dictates who they allow into specific sectors n their economies.
I do not get the point about BRICS. I d not think you know what you are talking about. China and Brazil are not part of the so called G7 are they both not bigger economies than some G7 countries. Is China not the 2nd economy in the world? Should China be sayind to itself "China must be part of G7" the same is true for BRICS> Nigeria is a bigger economy than South Africa and the gap is growing so BRIC or block or cement is not the issue. I don't know what you mean by "level" I was talking about complexity quite often small businesses e.g restaurants are more complex than running an airline or an oil company. The real issue is understanding what is meant by complexity which in this context is the ease to establish systems and processes that can be used reliably day in day out.

1 Like

Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by kobonaire(m): 9:10pm On Aug 09, 2014
iwonbaoko:
It s not for me to educate you on the "big deal" educate yourself you are an adult!
UK and the US are military allies they have so many shared interests as is the case with Germany. would the US allow a Chinese or Russian company to own Verizon. It is a strategic sector that needs closer monitoring. Recently we heard that our military used mobile phone networks operationally in their fight against Boko Haram let us not make false arguments with half-truths. Toyota is not relevant to this very specific point. I have no specific hostility to MTN but ANY telecomm company is potentially a security threat. As we see in the recent struggle with Russia and China Multinationals are a tool of foreign policy. Obama hosted African leader last week and announced $14 billion investment is he the CEO of any company? Still he is in a position to make such an announcement ,how? why?

Different countries have different strategic horizons and partners and this dictates who they allow into specific sectors n their economies.
I do not get the point about BRICS. I d not think you know what you are talking about. China and Brazil are not part of the so called G7 are they both not bigger economies than some G7 countries. Is China not the 2nd economy in the world? Should China be sayind to itself "China must be part of G7" the same is true for BRICS> Nigeria is a bigger economy than South Africa and the gap is growing so BRIC or block or cement is not the issue. I don't know what you mean by "level" I was talking about complexity quite often small businesses e.g restaurants are more complex than running an airline or an oil company. The real issue is understanding what is meant by complexity which in this context is the ease to establish systems and processes that can be used reliably day in day out.
Is MTN owned by the Chinese, Russians or any other rogue nation? No it is owned by South Africa a nation that is regarded world wide not to be hostile or involved in nefarious activities.
If you had a better appreciation of economics you would not be raising your arms in the air about south Africa "taking $2.5B" away from Nigeria and not realizing how much more was going into the Nigerian economy. There are two sides to that equation that you fail to see. As to why you even think that making beer is as easy as cellular communication technology (your words not mine), I really have no idea.
Now you say a restaurant is more complex to run than an airline or a drilling oil company .... dear Lord ... I am speechless.
Yes Obama, can give a figure of the proposed investments in Africa ... he has a trade commission and so they provide that information to him about private American investors. Do i really have to bring out the crayons and explain the basics to you like this? You sound like a smart man.
Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by folu4real(f): 9:51pm On Aug 09, 2014
Stupid MTN. They got me annoyed this morning, I had to call there customer careline 2 complain of how they deduct all my money for just a minute call I made but d lady was just saying jagons I cut d call with annoyance. Majority of their customer care representative are imcompetence. Truly they make alots of money in Nigeria.
Re: MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa by Nostradamus: 12:14am On Aug 10, 2014
empty hen!!!same old bunch of thieves

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Difference Between A Business Name And Limited Company (cac-wise) / Otudeko Vs. Otedola: First Bank Shareholders Lose ₦‎80.76bn, Shares Crumble / Packaged Water Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.