Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,903 members, 7,828,184 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:54 AM

A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians (28232 Views)

A Thread Dedicated To Orisa Nla (obatala). / The Ancient City Of Benin: Our Bronze Heritage In Pictures / Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Nobody: 8:16pm On Aug 12, 2014
Mixed boy here.

Mum = Remo and Egba

Dad = waterside Ijebu.

Heritage = Ijebu-Remo/Egba! cool
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by FKO1(m): 8:16pm On Aug 12, 2014
FATHER - ETSAKOR
MOM - ESAN
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by suyu: 8:17pm On Aug 12, 2014
KingTom: Mummy is from Igbo. Daddy is Yoruba. Mummy's mum is from Cross river. Daddy's mum is Hausa. I am Yoruba or

paternally you are yoruba but culturally you will lean to your mothers side

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by KingTom(m): 8:18pm On Aug 12, 2014
suyu:

paternally you are yoruba but culturally you will lean to your mothers side
But learning all those languages was not easy oo grin

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by suyu: 8:21pm On Aug 12, 2014
KingTom:
But learning all those languages was not easy oo grin

yea it will be hard, true, but it will be impossible to pass to your future kids, it ends with you.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Nobody: 8:22pm On Aug 12, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Nne yi ka I yili! Ogbo nne yi ka I bu!

I na-adi isi ka nne gi. tongue
e na ekwu okwu ka onye ma nnem. E ma nnem biko?
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Atk1nson(m): 8:25pm On Aug 12, 2014
Proudly (Igbo+yoruba)= proudly igbo + proudly yoruba

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by soulglo: 8:25pm On Aug 12, 2014
egopersonified:

Edo language grad? More grease to your elbow. Seems your edo writing is better than your english.

Thanks for the compliment but let me point out that my Edo and English writing is better than yours
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by chronique(m): 8:26pm On Aug 12, 2014
I'm half Edo and half Ondo. Dad is Esan from Edo and mum is from Ifon in Ondo. Unfortunately,we were raised as English speaking children. Apart from English,the only Nigerian language I can speak properly,is pidgin English. Recently,I've been learning how to speak Yoruba but I'm not yet fluent in it. I wanna learn Esan but it seems like a daunting task. Don't even know where to start from.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Nobody: 8:32pm On Aug 12, 2014
Am half igbo half ikwerre and some fulani is in the mix. undecided
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Idrismusty97(m): 8:32pm On Aug 12, 2014
Can't speak any of my parents language. I Wish i was pure breed.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by egopersonified(f): 8:32pm On Aug 12, 2014
soulglo:

Thanks for the compliment but let me point out that my Edo and English writing IS better than yours

Dream on dreamer, sorry to burst your bubble, read all your posts and their errors. I'm not just one for pointing out spelling mistakes or errors, it just makes one look childish, so I'll let you be, cos you are not worth a minute of my quality nairaland time, regards.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Nobody: 8:32pm On Aug 12, 2014
Father is Igbo, Mother is Yoruba,

My dads mother is Yoruba

My moms mother is Igbo

My wife is Yoruba.

6 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by egopersonified(f): 8:32pm On Aug 12, 2014
*Double post*
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by bigfrancis21: 8:33pm On Aug 12, 2014
GboyegaD: My dad is mixed but he is more of a Yoruba man and my mum is a Benin princess. One of the funny experiences I can relate with is the fact that growing up, we detested anything that had to do with Yoruba and even at some point, we all agreed no one should marry from the Yoruba tribe however, those who are married amongst we children married Yoruba people. I am quick as an individual to point it out that I am not a full blown Yoruba and one reason is because by my standard, they do not have the respect they claim to have. I remember some people while we were growing up in church and in my dad's family kept complaining we don't call ourselves brother and aunty and my dad will tell them off instantly that he is not a party to that. Some times, when some people complain too much, he tells us to avoid such people.

Another one is the fact that my mum and one of my dad's sisters are not so close and it has been like that since she married my dad. The funny part was one day my mum told us she had to ask her that whenever the reverend father asked if there was anyone who was not in support of their marriage should indicate and since she did not she should forever hold her peace. I learnt the argument was always centered on my mum not been Yoruba.

What a complex family situation you have there. It is always interesting to observe mixed-tribe homes and how they pull through the circumstances.

What's the other side of your dad's?

Where's your mom from?

Must be confusing to have all these sides to you right?
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by bigfrancis21: 8:35pm On Aug 12, 2014
J12: e na ekwu okwu ka onye ma nnem. E ma nnem biko?

A ma m nne yi...nwanyi anambra anwa na-ele afia na Eke Ukwu market, Owerri. cheesy
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Nobody: 8:37pm On Aug 12, 2014
bigfrancis21:

A ma m nne yi...nwanyi anambra anwa na-ele afia na Eke Ukwu market, Owerri. cheesy
Ta! Gbafuo!
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by KingTom(m): 8:37pm On Aug 12, 2014
suyu:

yea it will be hard, true, but it will be impossible to pass to your future kids, it ends with you.
Yoruba and Igbo will be a must for them
grin
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by suyu: 8:40pm On Aug 12, 2014
Alexkene: Father is Igbo, Mother is Yoruba,

My dads mother is Yoruba

My moms mother is Igbo

My wife is Yoruba.

wow it makes sense, your mother has yoruba paternal lineage but leaned towards her mom side and feel for a igbo man who has igbo paternal lineage but leaned towards his mother side and feel for your mom. It made sense your parents met and married. For you though your paternal line is still igbo but you ending up with a yoruba woman is not a shocker

If you were 100% igbo and had a yoruba wife, I would be surprised though

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Nobody: 8:40pm On Aug 12, 2014
My Mother is an Ibibio woman from Akwa Ibom, while my Father is an Ikale man from Ondo.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by suyu: 8:41pm On Aug 12, 2014
KingTom:
Yoruba and Igbo will be a must for them
grin

at least you want to try but it depends on who you marry as a wife, the mothers have strong influence on the kids.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by repogirl(f): 8:44pm On Aug 12, 2014
My moms ijaw, my dads Yoruba, my husband is Ibo grin

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by bigfrancis21: 8:45pm On Aug 12, 2014
J12: Ta! Gbafuo!

grin
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by 1miccza: 8:46pm On Aug 12, 2014
repogirl: My moms ijaw, my dads Yoruba, my husband is Ibo grin

And you are Nigeria
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Ezeibe(m): 8:49pm On Aug 12, 2014
My dad & mum are from same state, same LG, same town & same village..... My maternal home is not far from my paternal home...... They were one of the best couples that ever lived on the planet earth....
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by repogirl(f): 8:50pm On Aug 12, 2014
1miccza:

And you are Nigeria
lol, abi o!
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by bigfrancis21: 8:51pm On Aug 12, 2014
DAVE5: dad - igala, mum -igbo, dnt hia a word in ma dad's tongue at all embarassed cry

Which language do you speak?
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by bigfrancis21: 8:52pm On Aug 12, 2014
Jaymaestro: Dad : Ekiti
Mama : Anambra [ understands Yoruba like a true indigene to an extent she now has trouble keeping up with her mom when she speaks Igbo]
Maternal Grandma hated Yorubas but realised my dad's a betta suitor compared to his Igbo counterparts
Paternal Grandpa : Best Igbo I have ever known
I : mixed psychological physically and linguistically .

How's this possible? It sounds so unreal.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by 1miccza: 8:52pm On Aug 12, 2014
repogirl: lol, abi o!

And maybe just maybe your kids would be hausa to complete the equation.......
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by kemetic7(m): 8:53pm On Aug 12, 2014
MissMeiya:

I thought this is what OP meant, not tribalist ish

Yes, you are correct Sister. We have JOKERS in nl.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Nobody: 8:54pm On Aug 12, 2014
Idowuogbo: Omo YORUIGBO ni mi swaaaaaaaaaagger! cool
IDOWUOBO PLEASE EXPLAIN BERRA
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by yankidelta(m): 8:54pm On Aug 12, 2014
Dad=Omo isale Eko in Lagos
Mum=Esan in Edo
Wifey=Etinan in Akwa-Ibom
Kids=Intelligent and Beautiful

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Culture Or Cruelty? Do We Still Need Tribal Marks?(pics) / Real Estate Mogul Adron Homes GMD Pays Homage To New Olubadan / Ooni Ogunwusi Visits Fashola In His Abuja Residence. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.