Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,935 members, 7,828,292 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:56 AM

A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians (28238 Views)

A Thread Dedicated To Orisa Nla (obatala). / The Ancient City Of Benin: Our Bronze Heritage In Pictures / Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by macof(m): 8:55pm On Aug 12, 2014
sandijey: Yoruba/ itshekiri.

Mother yoruba, father itshekiri. Ekiti/delta. But I am more of Yoruba. Speak it and understand it. Don't understand itshekiri and I have never been to delta. embarassed

Wat part of Yorubaland? cus u may need to learn ur mother's language too.
Btw Itsekiri language is also Yoruba

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Nobody: 8:57pm On Aug 12, 2014
macof: grin is Eko epe not ijebu epe grin

Sir Macof, Eko Epe is the Awori settlement, while Ijebu Epe is the real Epe.

My dad is Ijebu Epe.

So, if you see Eko Epe, that means Awori.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by macof(m): 8:59pm On Aug 12, 2014
rickkid: It's more interesting this way isn't it? grin My dad is Egun (Lagos) and my mum is Ibibio (from Akwa Ibom) but we all speak Yoruba and English. My brother married an Ikwerre lady (Rivers) and my fiancee is Bini.
We're Nigerian like that grin

More like southern Nigeriangrin

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by macof(m): 9:02pm On Aug 12, 2014
SirShymex:

Sir Macof, Eko Epe is the Awori settlement, while Ijebu Epe is the real Epe.

My dad is Ijebu Epe.

So, if you see Eko Epe, that means Awori.
Is it not the same Epe along ikorodu-ijebu ode??

abi there's two epe in Lagos??
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Emeca: 9:05pm On Aug 12, 2014
Jaymaestro: Dad : Ekiti
Mama : Anambra [ understands Yoruba like a true indigene to an extent she now has trouble keeping up with her mom when she speaks Igbo]
Maternal Grandma hated Yorubas but realised my dad's a betta suitor compared to his Igbo counterparts
maternal Grandpa : Best Igbo I have ever known
I : mixed psychological physically and linguistically .

am quite sure you didnt get ur pettiness from him.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by favouryemmy: 9:05pm On Aug 12, 2014
Dad=Yoruba
Mum= Igbo
Good combination!
Wonderful family on both sides.
Was considering marrying Hausa/Fulani but it didn't work.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Nobody: 9:06pm On Aug 12, 2014
macof:
Is it not the same Epe along ikorodu-ijebu ode??

abi there's two epe in Lagos??

The people identity themselves as either Eko Epe or Ijebu Epe...just as all the other places around the axis with Awori's and Ijebu's.

Since the Awori's settled there with their exiled King, from Lagos Island in the 19th century or so, they have become part of the place.

They both live together peacefully, with separate kings.

Anyway, you can ask people from there in Nigeria about how they identify themselves.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Bryan12(m): 9:08pm On Aug 12, 2014
Idowuogbo:
Thunder fire you! Everything about you will be terrible IJN! Oloshious anoufia!
sorry ma'am but I DO NOT xchange words with ugly people.thanks.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Nobody: 9:12pm On Aug 12, 2014
repogirl: My moms ijaw, my dads Yoruba, my husband is Ibo grin
Nice Combosmiley
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by macof(m): 9:12pm On Aug 12, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

How will there be diversity in the future when every one becomes mixed?

Take Nigeria for example, imagine all our tribes destroyed. no more igbo vs Yoruba e-war.

no more different Nigerian Tribal cultures, from Igbos to Yorubas , to Hausa all the way upto Marghi.

Instead only 1 black people without any culture or identities. it is depressing.

This is true.
There won't be tribal consciousness anymore, which is a practical sin against God

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by macof(m): 9:15pm On Aug 12, 2014
Danhumprey: My own na Efik and Annang.grin

grin get out of here..this is not mixed
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Nobody: 9:20pm On Aug 12, 2014
#Igatigbobloodflowinginmyveinssmiley
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Feedmemore(f): 9:21pm On Aug 12, 2014
My dad is Igbo, my mum is Yoruba. Super duper combination. cheesy wink

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by GboyegaD(m): 9:22pm On Aug 12, 2014
bigfrancis21:

What a complex family situation you have there. It is always interesting to observe mixed-tribe homes and how they pull through the circumstances.

What's the other side of your dad's?

Where's your mom from?

Must be confusing to have all these sides to you right?

My dad's other half is Sierra Leone.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by macof(m): 9:23pm On Aug 12, 2014
SirShymex:

The people identity themselves as either Eko Epe or Ijebu Epe...just as all the other places around the axis with Awori's and Ijebu's.

Since the Awori's settled there with their exiled King, from Lagos Island in the 19th century or so, they have become part of the place.

They both live together peacefully, with separate kings.

Anyway, you can ask people from there in Nigeria about how they identify themselves.
Ok I think i understand u
Similar Ikere-Ekiti where a Bini chief settled with some people and became a second Oba?
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Okijajuju1(m): 9:25pm On Aug 12, 2014
PAGAN9JA: Marrying withing your ethnicity is good for many reasons:

-You will understand your partner well. Too well infact.

-You will relate well with your partners family. Marriage between 2 people of the same ethnicity is not just a union of 2 people. IT is a Union of 2 families.

- You will pass on your ethnic/tribal culture for future generations.

-Your offspring will feel more included in your community.

-Having a Tribe has side-benefits as well. Especially in the job sector.

-We dont know what the future holds. Countries and Nations rise and fall. If such a case happens, then who else will you run to?
Your Tribe ofcourse.

-Tribes were created for a reason. It is the system of humanity.

,etc.

Pagan9ja

Biologically speaking, don't you think too much of intra-tribal marriage can over a period of time lead to something close to inbreeding as after a while, people linage and ancestry can be traced to have crossed severally across different families.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Jaymaestro(m): 9:26pm On Aug 12, 2014
bigfrancis21:

How's this possible? It sounds so unreal.
it's quite real . I have nothing to gain from fabrication .
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by soulglo: 9:28pm On Aug 12, 2014
egopersonified:

Dream on dreamer, sorry to burst your bubble, read all your posts and their errors. I'm not just one for pointing out spelling mistakes or errors, it just makes one look childish, so I'll let you be, cos you are not worth a minute of my quality nairaland time, regards.

You actually went back and looked through my posts to prove that your written English is better than mine grin Go have a coke son
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Nobody: 9:29pm On Aug 12, 2014
macof:
Ok I think i understand u
Similar Ikere-Ekiti where a Bini chief settled with some people and became a second Oba?

Yes, something like that.

Epe and those areas from Lekki, all the way to Ikorodu have always been Ijebu. And the Awori's own all the other parts of the Island. However, when their King Kosoko was exiled by the British, the Awujale allowed him start a kingdom in Epe. That's why you've Awori settlements everywhere around there.

Anyway, is there any Bini settlement in Ekiti today?

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by repogirl(f): 9:30pm On Aug 12, 2014
GboyegaD: My dad is mixed but he is more of a Yoruba man and my mum is a Benin princess. One of the funny experiences I can relate with is the fact that growing up, we detested anything that had to do with Yoruba and even at some point, we all agreed no one should marry from the Yoruba tribe however, those who are married amongst we children married Yoruba people. I am quick as an individual to point it out that I am not a full blown Yoruba and one reason is because by my standard, they do not have the respect they claim to have. I remember some people while we were growing up in church and in my dad's family kept complaining we don't call ourselves brother and aunty and my dad will tell them off instantly that he is not a party to that. Some times, when some people complain too much, he tells us to avoid such people.

Another one is the fact that my mum and one of my dad's sisters are not so close and it has been like that since she married my dad. The funny part was one day my mum told us she had to ask her that whenever the reverend father asked if there was anyone who was not in support of their marriage should indicate and since she did not she should forever hold her peace. I learnt the argument was always centered on my mum not been Yoruba.
I feel you, no offense to Yorubas o but then most times Yoruba relatives don't like when their brothers marry from other tribes.... And they give the women a tough time.... One of my cousins that showed my mom 'wehn', is now married to Ibo himself, the irony!

My fathers relatives' attitude probably influenced my preference for ibos.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by repogirl(f): 9:31pm On Aug 12, 2014
1miccza:

And maybe just maybe your kids would be hausa to complete the equation.......
hmmmmmm, make I no comment on that one lipsrsealed
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by macof(m): 9:38pm On Aug 12, 2014
SirShymex:

Yes, something like that.

Epe and those areas from Lekki, all the way to Ikorodu have always been Ijebu. And the Awori's own all the other parts of the Island. However, when their King Kosoko was exiled by the British, the Awujale allowed him start a kingdom in Epe. That's why you've Awori settlements everywhere around there.

Anyway, is there any Bini settlement in Ekiti today?

Ok thanks for the little history.

No Bini settlements but there are Bini descendants in Ikere and Ado.
if u listen to Ado language, u would notice a Bini accent grin like Owo and Ondo too
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Nobody: 9:41pm On Aug 12, 2014
Hmmm... can be worrisome. had an igbo boyfriend once. NYSC, kogi state, mopa precisely. Everyone knew us... and mocked us actually. He never left Igbo land all his life. So couldn't understand yoruba for the life of him. And we were together for like 2 years after. Anytime his mum visited same time as me, chai, See drama. to the point that one day she told me that she'd make my life miserable if I don't leave her son. But his dad was an angel, he'd lived in Ondo state for a long time while growing up. He'd always be on my side. Was thinking of marrying this dude, then his dad died. Omo, all hell broke loose. Even the smiling smiling sisters, became hostile. I broke it off.

Dude still calls me to say how unhappy he is. Poor him... undecided cry

Anyhoo, mum: osun and Dad: ogun (he is part egun though)

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Nobody: 9:42pm On Aug 12, 2014
macof:

Wat part of Yorubaland? cus u may need to learn ur mother's language too.
Btw Itsekiri language is also Yoruba

Ekiti. Omuo- ekiti to be precise. They talk like there is hot yam in their mouth. Plus I have been to ekiti several times. grin. I hear a little bit of itshekiri. Its so much like yoruba but very very twisted. Like ekaro( good morning) in yoruba is Erewuro in itshekiri.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by egopersonified(f): 9:46pm On Aug 12, 2014
soulglo:

You actually went back and looked through my posts to prove that your written English is better than mine grin Go have a coke son

Didnt go back, saw them from the initial 'etsako nor etsakor', normally I just overlook such spellings, just brought it up for you to see that no man is infallible. As much as you try to teach others, endeavour to learn in the process, you don't have anything to prove to anyone, believe me, it makes life easy.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by soulglo: 9:49pm On Aug 12, 2014
egopersonified:

Didnt go back, saw them from the initial 'etsako nor etsakor', normally I just overlook such spellings, just brought it up for you to see that no man is infallible. As much as you try to teach others, endeavour to learn in the process, you don't have anything to prove to anyone, believe me, it makes life easy.

Knowing what you just said you should have taken the correction you were given without bitterness. I mean we really would not be here talking if you actually live by what you preach.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by dayosaurus(m): 9:54pm On Aug 12, 2014
i wondder why some people wouldd say they hate the whole yoruba racce because of the actions of 2 to 3 yorubaa peeps out of millions.... All the igbos ive met are egoccentric, selfish and only waants the best for their kind at the detriments of others and never consider merit.. Buh this doesnt mean i should haate ibos, cos imm sure there are better hundreds of igbos out there..

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by macof(m): 10:01pm On Aug 12, 2014
sandijey:

Ekiti. Omuo- ekiti to be precise. They talk like there is hot yam in their mouth. Plus I have been to ekiti several times. grin. I hear a little bit of itshekiri. Its so much like yoruba but very very twisted. Like ekaro( good morning) in yoruba is Erewuro in itshekiri.
grin we Ekiti are so large that I have never heard of Omuo-Ekiti
Pls tell me a little about it? Have u ever been there?
Yes every unpopular Yoruboid language u hear always has its own twist..that's the beautiful thing
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Freelancer00(m): 10:03pm On Aug 12, 2014
peppyluv02: Your 'father' and your 'dad'

Lol. Typo. The other one should have been 'mum'
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Freelancer00(m): 10:04pm On Aug 12, 2014
macof: grin is Eko epe not ijebu epe grin
Na different places
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Nobody: 10:05pm On Aug 12, 2014
macof:

Ok thanks for the little history.

No Bini settlements but there are Bini descendants in Ikere and Ado.
if u listen to Ado language, u would notice a Bini accent grin like Owo and Ondo too

Lmao @ Owo and Ondo...that's Missy89 the half-Ondo and half-Bini stone-cold-steve-austin.

I think the poster Pstylish first alluded to it, then I asked my dad...and later read more about it on Google Scholar. That's why the Oniru throne is Ijebu. I think the Elegusi crown started as Bini or something, but it later became an Ijebu-Remo crown. Then Ikorodu is also Ijebu-Remo(more Remo though). Also, I believe the Awujale founded Lekki when he gave it to Dutch explorers as far back as the 16th or 17th century. Epe was the major trading coast then. Too much to talk about - I don't want to derail the thread.

Anyway, is that why Ekiti chics have ridiculous bodies? grin
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Nobody: 10:09pm On Aug 12, 2014
Am so surprised to see a lot of mixed people. Only mixed person I know is my friend. Tolu okonkwo. Her mum is yoruba and dad is Igbo. She is more of Yoruba considering what her dad's people did to them when he died.

I realised that in a lot of African settings the mothers people seem to be the good ones why the fathers people are bad. Reason why it's easy to lean towards your mum. Until recently never used to tell people am from delta and up till now u must not insult the yoruba tribe near me. I will take serious offence.

Marrying outside your tribe is not so rosy. Sometimes the child might have identity problems. Not to talk of the arguments. Right now my dad is a die hard jonathan fan solely because he is from the south- south while my mum loves apc. Sometimes I am so sympathetic to jonathan and at other times am so in love wiv apc. I have enjoyed being a yoruba more than being a deltan. I only enjoyed delta when I was collecting bursary cheesy. My Personal opinion, it is good to marry from your tribe or somewhere quite close. But u really never no where love carries you too.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply)

Culture Or Cruelty? Do We Still Need Tribal Marks?(pics) / Real Estate Mogul Adron Homes GMD Pays Homage To New Olubadan / Ooni Ogunwusi Visits Fashola In His Abuja Residence. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.