Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,423 members, 7,812,243 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:35 AM

A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians (28158 Views)

A Thread Dedicated To Orisa Nla (obatala). / The Ancient City Of Benin: Our Bronze Heritage In Pictures / Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:24pm On Aug 12, 2014
tpia1:

in what way?

You just saw the example of the quoted person.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Nobody: 7:25pm On Aug 12, 2014
PAGAN9JA:
I detest mixed-marriages.

Marriages between close groups is ok though. (e.g., Urhobo-Esan, Bini-Yoruba, Igbo-Ekpe, Marghi-Bura, etc.)

Mixed Marriages destroy tribes and cultures.

Or they may produce children who have an appreciation for both cultures.....or who may just simply take on their father's culture.

Also good from a genetic point of view.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by hardbody: 7:26pm On Aug 12, 2014
tpia1:

were you full "insert something here" before?

At this time of the day, my brain needs rebooting. I did not quite understand your post, may i request that you re-couch your question.

Were you in anyway asking whether i was full igbo/efik at any point in time? if that was your question, please re-read my post, i think it is self explanatory.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by soulglo: 7:27pm On Aug 12, 2014
egopersonified: Sorry I'm full blown etsakor(edo), my mum, dad, stepmum, aunties, husband, children,etc,etc are all etsakor

Etsako nor Etsakor
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Okijajuju1(m): 7:27pm On Aug 12, 2014
Sadly All4Naija can't be here.. grin

The guy is a mixed breed like Nkita and Alsatian.. grin

7 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Okijajuju1(m): 7:29pm On Aug 12, 2014
all4naija: OP is biased! Mixed heritage can also include one of the parents being white, yellow or black. Aye!

You don't belong here sir..

You are mixed specie.. Your problems are spiritual and psychological in nature. grin

9 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Okijajuju1(m): 7:31pm On Aug 12, 2014
All4Naija is like Seuns Dog..

nobody knows what the fhuck to call it.. Ekutian.. Or Alkuke.

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by egopersonified(f): 7:31pm On Aug 12, 2014
soulglo:

Etsako nor Etsakor

Are you my long lost step father ni?
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by DAVE5(m): 7:32pm On Aug 12, 2014
dad - igala, mum -igbo, dnt hia a word in ma dad's tongue at all embarassed cry

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:33pm On Aug 12, 2014
rickkid: Not always true. I'm a mix myself and I speak fluent Yoruba along with some Efik. It depends on the parents' willingness to pass down their cultural context and awareness. And by the way, the current cultures and languages here came from interaction and mixing with others as well. For example the word for 'onion' in Yoruba, 'Alubosa' is actually a Hausa word which was adopted after interaction with the Hausa people. Culture is fluid, not static. Don't be afraid of change. As long as that basic African awareness is incorporated into the new culture, we're good to go. It's better to have an English speaking generation of Nigerians who respect their Africanness and prosper with mutual cooperation than millions of native language dolts who kneel to foreign gods and destroy their own economy by chasing imports and foreign fads, which is what we have currently.

Exactly. you speak some Efik.

Mixing causes the neglect of cultures. If not both sides, then atleast one side. whose language will you speak? whose culture will you follow? whose Gods will you worship? ,etc..

Then imagine, you as a mixed pesin goes on and marries another mixed person. or even a pure person of another ethnicity, lets say Fulani.

Then are you saying me your offspring has to balance 3 or 4 cultures, learn 3-4 languages,etc.? Ofcourse not!
In this age, your child is more likely to go for English as in the example above.

Going further, by the 3rd generation, (your offsprings children), the cultures will be extinct!

Culture is supposed to develop. Not mixed or get destroyed. We are not African-Americans. We are Mainland Africans and what makes us unique is our Various tribes, ethnic groups, languages, outlooks, personalities, etc. If we work together, we are a force to be reckoned with.

We cannot afford to lose our tribes.

The West lost their tribes and went on a rampage, destroying others cultures. Today the west has no proper culture, deteriorating morality, lack of family /tribal kinship and values, etc.

Hausas never mixed with Yorubas. We are both of separate and different stock. Your example of onions is useless. The reason for that loanword is because onions probably never existed in Yorubaland ,prior to introduction by Hausa farmers and Traders from the North. Hausas never breeded with Yorubas to produce onions . tongue

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Nobody: 7:34pm On Aug 12, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Or they may produce children who have an appreciation for both cultures.....or who may just simply take on their father's culture.

And in addition, in the interest of building a national identity which is stronger than ethnic affiliation, intermixing is key. This is one of the reasons why the youth service scheme was created. Incidentally, I met my fiancee in camp during NYSC. Why is there less ethnic-based violence in Southern Africa compared to West and Central/East Africa? Because after centuries of mixing, they're all practically the same people now. An Ndebele from Zimbabwe can understand the language of a Xhosa in South Africa or a Kalanga from Malawi. They get on a whole lot better than us up here.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by suyu: 7:37pm On Aug 12, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

Exactly. you speak some Efik.

Mixing causes the neglect of cultures. If not both sides, then atleast one side. whose language will you speak? whose culture will you follow? whose Gods will you worship? ,etc..

Then imagine, you as a mixed pesin goes on and marries another mixed person. or even a pure person of another ethnicity, lets say Fulani.

Then are you saying me your offspring has to balance 3 or 4 cultures, learn 3-4 languages,etc.? Ofcourse not!
In this age, your child is more likely to go for English as in the example above.

Going further, by the 3rd generation, (your offsprings children), the cultures will be extinct!

Culture is supposed to develop. Not mixed or get destroyed. We are not African-Americans. We are Mainland Africans and what makes us unique is our Various tribes, ethnic groups, languages, outlooks, personalities, etc. If we work together, we are a force to be reckoned with.

We cannot afford to lose our tribes.

The West lost their tribes and went on a rampage, destroying others cultures. Today the west has no proper culture, deteriorating morality, lack of family /tribal kinship and values, etc.

Hausas never mixed with Yorubas. We are both of separate and different stock. Your example of onions is useless. The reason for that loanword is because onions probably never existed in Yorubaland ,prior to introduction by Hausa farmers and Traders from the North. Hausas never breeded with Yorubas.

Actually they have, I know a girl whose mother is yoruba and father hausa and there are others

small numbers but they exist

6 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:38pm On Aug 12, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Please who are you kidding?

What use is appreciation when it stands chance of losing practice?

Is our culture a masquerade or something?

and how is it good from genetic point of view? I believe it brings about newer diseases. I as a full-blooded African Hausa man feel more immune,stronger and resistant than a mixed oyinbo.

Note: No one is talking baout marrying blood relatives. Let us just marry within our tribes and expand ourselves.

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Danhumprey: 7:39pm On Aug 12, 2014
Victoriousvic: Hehehe.

Efik and Ibibio. Birds of the same feather sha. grin
My own na Efik and Annang.grin

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:39pm On Aug 12, 2014
suyu:

Actually they have, I know a girl whose mother is yoruba and father hausa and there are others

Please we are not talking about this century.

In this age, man mixes with man, woman mates with donkey and what not.

In the past, it might have taken in minute numbers but was overall diluted by the centuries of breeding among the same stock.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Okijajuju1(m): 7:40pm On Aug 12, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

Please who are you kidding?

What use is appreciation when it stands chance of losing practice?

Is our culture a masquerade or something?

and how is it good from genetic point of view? I believe it brings about newer diseases. I as a full-blooded African Hausa man feel more immune,stronger and resistant than a mixed oyinbo.

Note: No one is talking baout marrying blood relatives. Let us just marry within our tribes and expand ourselves.

I understand you absolutely, but I have to disagree with you on this one..

Diversity isn't always a bad thing.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by suyu: 7:40pm On Aug 12, 2014
rickkid: And in addition, in the interest of building a national identity which is stronger than ethnic affiliation, intermixing is key. This is one of the reasons why the youth service scheme was created. Incidentally, I met my fiancee in camp during NYSC. Why is there less ethnic-based violence in Southern Africa compared to West and Central/East Africa? Because after centuries of mixing, they're all practically the same people now. An Ndebele from Zimbabwe can understand the language of a Xhosa in South Africa or a Kalanga from Malawi. They get on a whole lot better than us up here.

it isn't all positive though, some don't have a sense of identity like the west and central Africa

There is good and bad in both sides of the argument

some like to mix and some don't
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:42pm On Aug 12, 2014
Okijajuju1:

I understand you absolutely, but I have to disagree with you on this one..

Diversity isn't always a bad thing.

How will there be diversity in the future when every one becomes mixed?

Take Nigeria for example, imagine all our tribes destroyed. no more igbo vs Yoruba e-war.

no more different Nigerian Tribal cultures, from Igbos to Yorubas , to Hausa all the way upto Marghi.

Instead only 1 black people without any culture or identities. it is depressing.

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by tpia1: 7:42pm On Aug 12, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

You just saw the example of the quoted person.

pidgin is a lingua franca not spoken only by mixed people.

its origins are from trade between europeans and blacks, not blacks who are mixed tribe.

so how does someone speaking pidgin become a big issue like you are making it to be?
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:43pm On Aug 12, 2014
Danhumprey: My own na Efik and Annang.grin

You are not mixed.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by tpia1: 7:43pm On Aug 12, 2014
hardbody:

At this time of the day, my brain needs rebooting. I did not quite understand your post, may i request that you re-couch your question.

Were you in anyway asking whether i was full igbo/efik at any point in time?

yes i was.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Idowuogbo(f): 7:44pm On Aug 12, 2014
Omo YORUIGBO ni mi swaaaaaaaaaagger! cool

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by soulglo: 7:44pm On Aug 12, 2014
egopersonified:

Are you my long lost step father ni?

I don't have to be to teach you how to spell properly in your language. You cannot end any edo name with a "r" following an "o" to make the "or" sound. The alphabet already has a letter for that which is the O with a tonal mark underneath. Won't charge you for this lesson. Go in peace.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:45pm On Aug 12, 2014
tpia1:

pidgin is a lingua franca not spoken only by mixed people.

its origins are from trade between europeans and blacks, not blacks who are mixed tribe.

so how does someone speaking pidgin become a big issue like you are making it to be?

You missed the point.

Mixed people will generally chose to opt for a general culture or a National/International Identity. usually english or pidgin in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Nomso007(m): 7:46pm On Aug 12, 2014
Chiamaka01: Hi, there. If your parents are Nigerian but from different tribes, maybe Itsekiri and Igbo, Yoruba and Hausa, Efik and Fulani, this thread is for you. Just share some of your experiences having relatives from various tribes.

Dad's Hausa, Mum Ibo.. true story
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by tpia1: 7:46pm On Aug 12, 2014
suyu:

they're actually plenty but most likely are hausa, especially if they grew up in the north. Pagan is just trying to spread misinformation.

Hausa intermarry a lot, with virtually any tribe.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by suyu: 7:46pm On Aug 12, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

How will there be diversity in the future when every one becomes mixed?

Take Nigeria for example, imagine all our tribes destroyed. no more igbo vs Yoruba e-war.

no more different Nigerian Tribal cultures, from Igbos to Yorubas , to Hausa all the way upto Marghi.

Instead only 1 black people without any culture or identities. it is depressing.

chill Pagan, most Nigerians marry within their tribe and most mixed nigerian are 0.05% and get absorbed into larger tribes anyway

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Jaymaestro(m): 7:46pm On Aug 12, 2014
Dad : Ekiti
Mama : Anambra [ understands Yoruba like a true indigene to an extent she now has trouble keeping up with her mom when she speaks Igbo]
Maternal Grandma hated Yorubas but realised my dad's a betta suitor compared to his Igbo counterparts
Maternal Grandpa : Best Igbo I have ever known
I : mixed psychological physically and linguistically .

6 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:47pm On Aug 12, 2014
Its hard enough to practice 1 culture. (If you fully practice it)

Now imagine trying to balance 2,3,4 or even 6 cultures (if you are 3rd generation hybrid). Its not possible or plausible for that matter.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by GboyegaD(m): 7:47pm On Aug 12, 2014
rahazaqa: Mr Man go and settle this among your parents or family not here!!

How does this concern you and who told you we have anything to settle? It is just an experience and if you cannot comprehend same, kindly ignore rather than expose your self on here.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by tpia1: 7:47pm On Aug 12, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

You missed the point.

Mixed people will generally chose to opt for a general culture or a National/International Identity. usually english or pidgin in Nigeria.

heritage in nigeria is patrilineal, with relatively few exceptions.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Idowuogbo(f): 7:47pm On Aug 12, 2014
Bryan12: Igbo+Yoruba=terrible combination.#proudlyIgbo tho
Thunder fire you! Everything about you will be terrible IJN! Oloshious anoufia!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Hollywood High School Hosts Ooni Of Ife In USA(photos) / Culture Or Cruelty? Do We Still Need Tribal Marks?(pics) / Igbo Slang

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.