Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,520 members, 7,812,618 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:16 PM

A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians (28159 Views)

A Thread Dedicated To Orisa Nla (obatala). / The Ancient City Of Benin: Our Bronze Heritage In Pictures / Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by suyu: 7:48pm On Aug 12, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

You missed the point.

Mixed people will generally chose to opt for a general culture or a National/International Identity. usually english or pidgin in Nigeria.

Not all of them, especially the ones that have half hausa or yoruba in them

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Nobody: 7:49pm On Aug 12, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

Please who are you kidding?

What use is appreciation when it stands chance of losing practice?

Is our culture a masquerade or something?

and how is it good from genetic point of view? I believe it brings about newer diseases. I as a full-blooded African Hausa man feel more immune,stronger and resistant than a mixed oyinbo.

Note: No one is talking baout marrying blood relatives. Let us just marry within our tribes and expand ourselves.
Brother, I respect you more than 99% of this forum so I'm gonna respectfully ask that we agree to disagree on this one. African essence comes primarily from genetics, which is why a white man can learn Yoruba language, dance Bata dance, wear traditional clothes and memorise all 30,000 Odu Ifa but he can never be a Yoruba African man. Whereas even the 'lost' African Americans still have a deep African soul even if they don't know it. Check out the Geeche people of South Carolina, a group descended from African slaves who have maintained a very vivid African culture for centuries. They even have their own language. You cant reduce Africanism to Tribe. It's much, much more than that.

8 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by tpia1: 7:49pm On Aug 12, 2014
Jaymaestro:

Maternal Grandma hated Yorubas but realised my dad's a betta suitor compared to his Igbo counterparts

lol, another e-war will soon begin.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by shadowwalker201: 7:50pm On Aug 12, 2014
okay
[img]http://www.?aff=391[/img]
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Nobody: 7:50pm On Aug 12, 2014
tpia1:

they're actually plenty but most likely are hausa, especially if they grew up in the north. Pagan is just trying to spread misinformation.

Hausa intermarry a lot, with virtually any tribe.
Respond to your mail will you?
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:51pm On Aug 12, 2014
tpia1:

heritage in nigeria is patrilineal, with relatively few exceptions.

That aint the point.

and honestly you as a woman should be against this part of our custom.

I believe men and women should have equal representation in cases such as their own personal culture,etc.

Why is your native language called mother tongue ? Because the mother is the one who usually leaves her home to her in-laws. and when she goes there, she passes on her language, customs, etc., to her kids.

Also different tribes have overall general traits. we must preserve that.

And some tribes belong to completely different ethnic groups.

To me an igbo marrying a Hausa is no different from Igbo marrying Chinese.

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by mcfarlin(m): 7:54pm On Aug 12, 2014
Proud of my heritage_________ika-annang+yoruba. cool

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by tpia1: 7:54pm On Aug 12, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

In the past, it might have taken in minute numbers but was overall diluted by the centuries of breeding among the same stock.

it doesnt take centuries plz.

within one or two generations (less than 60- 100 years), culturally speaking.

and in these days of globalization and change, its hard to predict where anyone will be at any point in time.

your "purebreed" may find themselves not even in nigeria and perhaps the only face among a sea of foreign faces, should they remain unmarried then?

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by mployer(m): 7:54pm On Aug 12, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Common guys! Where is your sense of humour?! undecided
Ain't you seeing 'lol' in ma post?
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by tpia1: 7:55pm On Aug 12, 2014
smartchoice:
Respond to your mail will you?

bro, i told you i cant receive mail from here.

what did you want to discuss?
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by macof(m): 7:57pm On Aug 12, 2014
egopersonified: Sorry I'm full blown etsakor(edo), my mum, dad, stepmum, aunties, husband, children,etc,etc are all etsakor

grin true daughter of her father's village
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:58pm On Aug 12, 2014
rickkid: Brother, I respect you more than 99% of this forum so I'm gonna respectfully ask that we agree to disagree on this one. African essence comes primarily from genetics, which is why a white man can learn Yoruba language, dance Bata dance, wear traditional clothes and memorise all 30,000 Odu Ifa but he can never be a Yoruba African man. Whereas even the 'lost' African Americans still have a deep African soul even if they don't know it. Check out the Geeche people of South Carolina, a group descended from African slaves who have maintained a very vivid African culture for centuries. They even have their own language. You cant reduce Africanism to Tribe. It's much, much more than that.

No i have to disagree here. a whiteman imitating Yoruba suffers from deep inferiority complex and needs to go see a pschyatric, unless he is just doing it for fun.

There is no such thing as 1 African people. Africans are composed of different stocks that have graduallly split and evolved to their current forms.

Let me give you an example.

Igbos & Yorubas might infact be of same ancestry that split and evolved to their current forms.

same with say, Marghi and Hausa.

yet both groups are unrelated.

However they have evolved too much that they have formed their own separate distinct identities.

The same can be applied to humans. Humans and Chimps shared common ancestry but split to their current forms. However in this case, the split and evolution is to such an extent that breeding between the two is now impossible.

I believe evolution is a natural process, and the tribes are a natural part of this process. The process is extremely slow though. We must not tamper with this process and let it carry on its course. The Ethnic groups exist for a purpose.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:00pm On Aug 12, 2014
tpia1:

it doesnt take centuries plz.

within one or two generations (less than 60- 100 years), culturally speaking.

and in these days of globalization and change, its hard to predict where anyone will be at any point in time.

your "purebreed" may find themselves not even in nigeria and perhaps the only face among a sea of foreign faces, should they remain unmarried then?

I will just do my duty and leave the rest to the Gods. My culture and tribe has given me everything. An identity, a brotherhood, a family, pride, culture, etc.

I will marry among my own people, though not blood relatives.

This is the least I can do to give back something and ensure its survival for the next generation.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by jericco1(m): 8:00pm On Aug 12, 2014
Eggon & Nupe abi?
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by UnknownT: 8:00pm On Aug 12, 2014
Jaymaestro: Dad : Ekiti
Mama : Anambra [ understands Yoruba like a true indigene to an extent she now has trouble keeping up with her mom when she speaks Igbo]
Maternal Grandma hated Yorubas but realised my dad's a betta suitor compared to his Igbo counterparts
Paternal Grandpa : Best Igbo I have ever known
I : mixed psychological physically and linguistically .
Paternal Grandpa cant be Igbo since u said ur dad is an Ekiti man

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Nobody: 8:00pm On Aug 12, 2014
tpia1:

bro, i told you i cant receive mail from here.

what did you want to discuss?

You have a PM.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Jaymaestro(m): 8:00pm On Aug 12, 2014
tpia1:

lol, another e-war will soon begin.
Lol . That's their problem oh !
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by tpia1: 8:01pm On Aug 12, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

That aint the point.

and honestly you as a woman should be against this part of our custom.

I believe men and women should have equal representation in cases such as their own personal culture,etc.

Why is your native language called mother tongue ? Because the mother is the one who usually leaves her home to her in-laws. and when she goes there, she passes on her language, customs, etc., to her kids.

Also different tribes have overall general traits. we must preserve that.

And some tribes belong to completely different ethnic groups.

To me an igbo marrying a Hausa is no different from Igbo marrying Chinese.

on occasion, i'm one of the greatest advocates of people marrying within their own comfort zone tribe/ethnicity, however, that doesnt mean there should be no inter-whatever marriage at all.

to each their own, i only give my point of view.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Nobody: 8:02pm On Aug 12, 2014
While I am yourba, mum frm ondo dad frm ogun. I feel I am more of an igbo persn. All my klose childhood frnd we're igbo, its so bad I dnt even like yourba gals but igbo I guess it cos most yourbas always mock me. Even wen in skul. Buh I can't speak both lang. I do hear yourba sha can speak a little buh the tonation is way off dats wat gives me away then wen they hear the name the go gaga

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by suyu: 8:03pm On Aug 12, 2014
Nomso007:

Dad's Hausa, Mum Ibo.. true story

wow..how did that happen
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:04pm On Aug 12, 2014
suyu:

chill Pagan, most Nigerians marry within their tribe and most mixed nigerian are 0.05% and get absorbed into larger tribes anyway

Yes I know and Its great. Just worried for the future now.

No harm in educating. Those who heed the advice, its good for them.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Jaymaestro(m): 8:04pm On Aug 12, 2014
UnknownT: Paternal Grandpa cant be Igbo since u said ur dad is an Ekiti man
Thanks . Maternal . sadly ' both died this year.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Nomso007(m): 8:05pm On Aug 12, 2014
suyu:

wow..how did that happen
lol. I get that a lot.. beats me

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by suyu: 8:07pm On Aug 12, 2014
Nomso007:
lol. I get that a lot.. beats me

yea really strange but I have heard there are igbo/hausa couples but they keep it quiet

Never bumped into a mixed like you

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:07pm On Aug 12, 2014
Marrying withing your ethnicity is good for many reasons:

-You will understand your partner well. Too well infact.

-You will relate well with your partners family. Marriage between 2 people of the same ethnicity is not just a union of 2 people. IT is a Union of 2 families.

- You will pass on your ethnic/tribal culture for future generations.

-Your offspring will feel more included in your community.

-Having a Tribe has side-benefits as well. Especially in the job sector.

-We dont know what the future holds. Countries and Nations rise and fall. If such a case happens, then who else will you run to?
Your Tribe ofcourse.

-Tribes were created for a reason. It is the system of humanity.

,etc.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by suyu: 8:09pm On Aug 12, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

Yes I know and Its great. Just worried for the future now.

No harm in educating. Those who heed the advice, its good for them.

Naija will be fine

majority always marry their own, that includes other africans and races

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by HawtMummie(f): 8:11pm On Aug 12, 2014
Mum is Urhobo Delta, Dad is Ekiti Yoruba, hubby is Idoma Benue. One Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Ishilove: 8:12pm On Aug 12, 2014
chukxie: Mom's Esan (Ekpon to be precise) and Dad's from Akwa Ibom.
@bolded, grin grin
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by macof(m): 8:13pm On Aug 12, 2014
Freelancer00: My father is 'Eko Epe', my dad is 'Ijebu Epe'. I guess I'm mixed grin
grin is Eko epe not ijebu epe grin
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by egopersonified(f): 8:14pm On Aug 12, 2014
soulglo:

I don't have to be to teach you how to spell properly in your language. You cannot end any edo name with a "r" following an "o" to make the "or" sound. The alphabet already has a letter for that which is the O with a tonal mark underneath. Won't charge you for this lesson. Go in peace.

Edo language grad? More grease to your elbow. Seems your edo writing is better than your english.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by KingTom(m): 8:15pm On Aug 12, 2014
Mummy is from Igbo. Daddy is Yoruba. Mummy's mum is from Cross river. Daddy's mum is Hausa. I am Yoruba or
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by bigfrancis21: 8:16pm On Aug 12, 2014
princesa: I'm not mixed, my mum is. She's part yoruba and Igbo. So i got a yoruba grandmother, aunty and an uncle

sometimes, when we do wrong, my dad would often say its the yoruba blood in us acting. Crazy grin

I Wish I was mixed thoughsad
Where's your dad from?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Hollywood High School Hosts Ooni Of Ife In USA(photos) / Culture Or Cruelty? Do We Still Need Tribal Marks?(pics) / Igbo Slang

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.