Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,229 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:09 AM

MY* Blackberry Z3 Review - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / MY* Blackberry Z3 Review (34731 Views)

Sony Xperia Z3 Review And Price Onkonga / Blackberry Z3 Now Available In Nigeria / Blackberry Z3, Z30 ,Z10,q10,q5 & All Nokia Lumia Remote Unlocking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by henry007(m): 11:42pm On Aug 25, 2014
Purchased the z3 on Jumia at N36,800, it arrived 4 days later.
And now my review.

Hardware:  Upon unboxing, the first thing you see is the device with 4-corner edges, solid build quality and a very interesting casing. The textured back is the best on any BlackBerry on the market coz it has the most aesthetically pleasing friction to prevent accidental drops. The hard keys have been moved to the left leaving the right side of the device seemingly bare as there's a sim and sd slot on there that's covered by a tight protective cover/flap that doesn't creak or move when you apply pressure thus adding to the overall build quality of this device. I have only had it for a week and I get asked if it's an xperia Z or some Sony device. How one could mistake plastic for glass is unknown but the z3 unibody minimalist design is a steal for its price.

Screen and Display: Turning the device on you may not notice it's a 540X960 screen resolution until you put it side by side a 720p phone. As you would expect the 720p is slightly sharper but not by much. It also has a yellowish tint to the display but adjusting white balance which is a feature on the phone would fix that. The glass used on the screen is a finger print magnet, luckily it doesn't scratch do I dropped it on the screen by mistake but I mean, it's a finger print troll and could affect viewing experience in day light. I advise you get/order a screen protector to come with or suffer from the ugly sight of extreme  smudges. Other than these small gripes, screen isn't bad to look at. I find sometimes, lengthy reading on some phones' display at night gives me a headache but the z3 is so easy on the eyes, like staring at a book, no strain what so ever even after several hours of continuous "night" chitchatting, something that causes headaches and strain the eyes on most SAMOLED displays. 

BB10 OS and Android Runtime: the z3 runs on BB10 OS smoothly and without lag. Runs 4 apps simultaneously compared to the other os10 devices which run 8 apps. That's the only real life  difference, RAM limitations didn't reflect in the day to day usage and apps haven't closed on me yet. Android runtime needs work but some android apps like instagram, tube mate,photo grid, mxplayer opera mini and some android games like candy crush work without any hitch but some other android apps lag occasionally or don't work at all like ubersocial and 
Google play store. Might interest you to know we'd be seeing an upgrade in the android  runtime to 4.4 kitkat this September to further bridge the games and apps. The OS is otherwise fluid and very seamless, if you've used any bb10 device, you already know what I mean, everything just flows, if not, it's never too late to find out. 

Camera: it's a 5-mp shooter, nothing impressive here. Takes great pics for Facebook,IG and other social media. Black and white documents show up nicely. It's an auto focus lens and that's about it. Color rendition, noise cancellation and other options need work and apparently we would be seeing a few of that with the new OS 10.3 soon to be released. 

Keyboard: BB10 OS has the best on-screen keyboard on planet earth. Everyone should know this. Unfortunately not Everyone does but take it from someone that has used a lot of touch keyboards  (ios, android, swype swift wp7/8 etc).
 Much can be said about the z3's keyboard, it's classic, it's black, it reads our minds lol, learns from our texts and emails,  the pattern with which we communicate  and then form a  sentence in a few swipes using only one finger with built in word prediction which is more intelligent than any android/ios keyboard so far. 
By the way, this entire review was done with my trusty z3 keyboard. 

Battery Life:  what's a smart phone without battery life?! Z3 packs a 2500mAh battery which is more than enough for your daily use which is about 12 hours of combined use with 2hrs standby before you hit 10% granted you're not playing heavy games  for too long. I'm a heavy user so battery life is subjective to my daily use which is continuous browsing the web,chatting, instagram , twitter, emailing, light gaming (20mins of candy crush etc) , 30mins of music over headset,15 mins of calls daily and about 10 emails sent and received. Battery showed great improvement too after the first few days of use. The z3 takes about 2hrs 30mins  to charge from 10-100%. I have to say that this is the battery life the z10 so desperately needed to be a true beast as at when launched but I guess that omission makes it easier for new users to decide what phone to get btw the z10 and the z3. For comparison sake, Gsmarena.com puts z3 at 15 hrs of call time while z10 only 10, z10 gives you 46hrs of music playback while z3 gives you 84hrs which is almost double.

In conclusion, the z3 is a very affordable smartphone that excels at the simple stuff other smart phones might take for granted (even high end ones) thanks to the buttery smooth OS 10. Z3 isint going to win any spec or innovation awards but it is the surest way to get a 5inch bb10 device without shelling out sub 70k.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by Nobody: 12:17am On Aug 26, 2014
Wowww. I have never heard of it
N36,800? Is it mint?
The price seems fair for the qualities it has.
Enjoy your phone.
I love the back above all, though it seems fragile, If this one fall... lipsrsealed

Awesome review. Did you type all this?
You wouldn't mind telling me what OS your brain operates on- I want to upgrade. undecided

Anyway, my Q10 gives me so much satisfaction, I have calculated its depreciation using my preferred method and its value as @when I bought it. I'm not disposing it anytime soon.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by immortalvoices(m): 12:23am On Aug 26, 2014
Splendid but better soup na money kill am

1 Like

Re: MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by siegfried99(m): 12:27am On Aug 26, 2014
Good value for money.
Re: MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by johnwizey: 12:36am On Aug 26, 2014
Shey na normal subscription e dey use abi e get I'm own?

7 Likes

Re: MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by deife(m): 3:06am On Aug 26, 2014
Sleek!
Re: MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by DjAndroid: 3:28am On Aug 26, 2014
Kachisbarbie: Wowww. I have never heard of it
N36,800? Is it mint?
The price seems fair for the qualities it has.
Enjoy your phone.
I love the back above all, though it seems fragile, If this one fall... lipsrsealed

Awesome review. Did you type all this?
You wouldn't mind telling me what OS your brain operates on- I want to upgrade. undecided

Anyway, my Q10 gives me so much satisfaction, I have calculated its depreciation using my preferred method and its value as @when I bought it. I'm not disposing it anytime soon.

@ Bolded- , JUMIA dey sell tokumbo ?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by olenyi: 3:38am On Aug 26, 2014
Now this is a thread for night crawlers. You gat to give it to some Peeps though.
Re: MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by LMAyedun(m): 3:54am On Aug 26, 2014
Tell us about the subscription rates here in Nigeria, the best netwrk to use for it... etc
Re: MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by ogtavia(m): 4:17am On Aug 26, 2014
What is d data consumption like,does it compress data or sucks it up like android devices...na dt one me I wan know,I no too send pixel or keyboard or those things you mentioned,na data consumptn me I dey find,if I get a positive answer,then u got a z3 buddy in me,if nt,guy na d opposite oh.

5 Likes

Re: MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by Youngpo413: 5:43am On Aug 26, 2014
Nice
Re: MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by free2ryhme: 5:49am On Aug 26, 2014
Na so d price dey fall every day ooo I go buy my own when d price enter 25k. Just d way sim card was back in d days. We thank market forces for reductions like this . I pray it continues grin

8 Likes

Re: MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by nairaman66(m): 6:26am On Aug 26, 2014
Over hyped and a little piece of junk. Blackberry- defrauding unsuspecting Nigerians since 2007

3 Likes

Re: MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by Nobody: 6:27am On Aug 26, 2014
Blackberry still they exist

11 Likes

Re: MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by rill: 6:28am On Aug 26, 2014
The Uk used dey? Hw much
Re: MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by omisakint: 6:32am On Aug 26, 2014
Booked
Re: MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by ezicospot(m): 6:32am On Aug 26, 2014
Front page things.... For d second tym... Rain rain go away

1 Like

Re: MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by seuncyber(m): 6:32am On Aug 26, 2014
Is nice phone but after few month the phone will be 20k and they will bring another phone z2 out and they expect us to buy kilode

Am not working to get phone,I need to pay house rent,kids school fees,nepa bill water bill,dstv and other things

So bb or iphone or samsung and others please do just 1 phone every year,cause the rate young babes used phones now I ask myself Lobatan

18 Likes

Re: MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by holyboss: 6:33am On Aug 26, 2014
Ok! Boh I still ove my bold 5 to that Andriod like Device tongue

5 Likes

Re: MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by segradino(m): 6:35am On Aug 26, 2014
Another fone for tech hungry Nigerians

Good news for smart phone users, u can get d best data plan(MTN and Etisalat) for ur internet enabled devices why waste more when u can pay less for as low as N400 for 250mb...check dis out on this thread. www.nairaland.com/1852534/mtn-data-cheapest-rate#25391662
Re: MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by DJDOLA(m): 6:37am On Aug 26, 2014
O yea BB still remain d best smartphone for everybody....yes u can use BIS on it if u are using glo line

#Teambb

3 Likes

Re: MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by aboyaji(m): 6:38am On Aug 26, 2014
bb z3 ke. Until this Z is totally spoilt, then bb manufacturers go rest
Re: MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by lirusehn(m): 6:39am On Aug 26, 2014
cheesy

1 Like

Re: MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by Nobody: 6:40am On Aug 26, 2014
Ppl will start assumin d price of d z3 will drop in couple month's tym, drop kor hang ni, evn q5 is yet to enta d 20k's level.

5 Likes

Re: MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by elisinho(m): 6:43am On Aug 26, 2014
Team bb the best os ever

1 Like

Re: MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by YoungDaNaval(m): 6:44am On Aug 26, 2014
Does It Allow Android Heavy Games?
Re: MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by Nobody: 6:44am On Aug 26, 2014
BLACKBERRY is dead and buried

case closed!!!

7 Likes

Re: MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by Leetunechi: 6:49am On Aug 26, 2014
Crap undecided
Re: MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by Nobody: 6:53am On Aug 26, 2014
Nice review.. Just know subscription to enjoy the bb 10 runs at 3k monthly for 1.5gig etisalat
Re: MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by Nobody: 6:57am On Aug 26, 2014
Re: MY* Blackberry Z3 Review by chillykelly86(m): 7:00am On Aug 26, 2014
slimmy05: Nice review.. Just know subscription to enjoy the bb 10 runs at 3k monthly for 1.5gig etisalat
check my signature for something much better on MTN.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

7 Dirty Google Secrets Every Internet User Should Know / Etisalat Bis Users - Before You Resubscribe, Read This / Hilarious Replies From Glo Subscribers On Facebook Fans Page(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.