Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,424 members, 7,819,536 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:42 PM

How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? (68366 Views)

He Drank Poison For Fear Of His Father's Scolding: Now, He's Dead / If You Drank Water From This...... / Have You Ever Drank A Baby's Milk?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by Lekcy001(m): 4:50pm On Aug 27, 2014
AMU......best way to get cool water
Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by jtchukwu: 4:52pm On Aug 27, 2014
Surely, I did drank from that in the village.
Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by Deepfreezer(m): 4:52pm On Aug 27, 2014
My grand Mom owns it. and I've drank from it severally wen we go to see her.
Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by 360command: 4:53pm On Aug 27, 2014
Tinyemeka:
The pot is semi-porous. Minute amounts of water percolate through the pot and evaporate taking away heat of evaporation from the water left in the pot.
Happens continuously so the water left in the pot cools over time.
And besides, the pot is usually kept in a cool, shaded place.
thanks amigo. I just found out that nairaland is using the share click.
Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by AriDsexy(f): 4:55pm On Aug 27, 2014
Nosaghae:
warrer indeed! Nor be well water u dey drink for house? Na people like u dey form say dem eat fried rice and salad, at the end of the day u go come dey vomit eba and waterleaf soup.
Back to topic i drank water from that ancient fridge;very chilled
Eba and waterleaf soup is good nau,I tot u were going to say garri and groundnut....just joking o grin grin btw was R ommited from ur monicker?
Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Aug 27, 2014
That was when I was in the village for my grandmother's burial...
Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by Vello(m): 5:04pm On Aug 27, 2014
jennykadry: My maternal grandma made me drink from that whenever I visited her in the village and shocking the water was always so cold and annoyingly refreshing.....ewwww. Mama loved her life in the village kiss this woman was a so no nonsense kind, like her daughter my mother.

My paternal grandma lives in my fathers house in the village so she got used to civilization very quickly seeing that we spent more time there....so nope she served us bottled water grin this grandma is so sweet and kind like her son my father. cheesy
Once upon a time in a story story kingdom. Why this AUTOBIOGRAPHY! The question put to you was even hardly answered. Eewu!!!
Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by larrysng(m): 5:04pm On Aug 27, 2014
OP what of the cup on top of the pot(amu) it is called ikenmu. Sweet old memory
Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by iceberylin(m): 5:07pm On Aug 27, 2014
mehn,this is Natural.....come December i'll drink from it again...
it makes water cool..
Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by iceberylin(m): 5:08pm On Aug 27, 2014
mehn,this is Natural.....come December i'll drink from it again...
it makes water cool..
we call it ITE MMIRI (igbo)
Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by Nsonaso(m): 5:09pm On Aug 27, 2014
bunmioguns: what do you call it in your native language?

Yoruba (Egba) call it Aamu (inside) or Ikoko (outside)

hope am correct?

I still drink from it till date
Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Aug 27, 2014
they are still in use in Enugu state,to be precise ,Achi and Inyi and some part of Agwu,its belived to preserve water naturally than any equipment.
Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by Chibokgame: 5:10pm On Aug 27, 2014
jennykadry: My maternal grandma made me drink from that whenever I visited her in the village and shocking the water was always so cold and annoyingly refreshing.....ewwww. Mama loved her life in the village kiss this woman was a so no nonsense kind, like her daughter my mother.

My paternal grandma lives in my fathers house in the village so she got used to civilization very quickly seeing that we spent more time there....so nope she served us bottled water grin this grandma is so sweet and kind like her son my father. cheesy

what a great poem !
But you did not answer the question.
What do you call it in you dialects
Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by Melkuk: 5:12pm On Aug 27, 2014
Nice one op. I still drink from it any time I travel home. In the Ngas language, (Plateau State) it's called "chulle-am".
Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by Nwapst(m): 5:13pm On Aug 27, 2014
Yea, I drank from that pot. Certainly not for the indomie generation.
Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by SirAbdull(m): 5:14pm On Aug 27, 2014
"Randa" in Hausa. If you are looking for cold water, its local its pure and its natural.
Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by gbemsone(f): 5:18pm On Aug 27, 2014
my granma has one in the village. We (family) all drank from it . She is long dead and I have no idea if the pot lives on.
Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by lanicky(f): 5:29pm On Aug 27, 2014
Ahhhh! Seriously I love amu water it's soooo refreshing smiley

I've missed it a lot......it's a kinda local fridge it doesn't cos pneumonia unlike d new generation fridge nd freezers cry
Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by oludashmi(f): 5:31pm On Aug 27, 2014
Good memory. We call it Amu in Yoruba.
The water is ever cold.

#NigerianHeadlines
Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by lenmafon: 5:33pm On Aug 27, 2014
well i have one which i bought during my nysc in gombe state, during the very hot period when even water from the tap and in the bucket is hot and of i couldnt afford to be drinking 'natural hot water.' as a matter of fact, i do the fetching of water by myself and i dont allow anyhow students near my 'local fridge'
Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by Ninapha(f): 5:34pm On Aug 27, 2014
joebases: Can't forget my days in my south eastern village where we call it ite

ite- cooking pot made from steel or clay
Udu- bigger size of same pattern made for preserving drinking water, seedings etc
Ite-mmri- same patter use in fetching water from the stream.

Op, its called Udu-
udu-mirir when its used specifically for preserving water.

Village things nah. I still crave for it and once i enter villa, na sure bet. So cold, so refreshing. If u use bornvita comcom wey dey for fire eeh. Miss old sch life joor.

1 Like

Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by Rilwayne001: 5:40pm On Aug 27, 2014
We still use it in ilorin my hometown
Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by ify84(m): 5:41pm On Aug 27, 2014
we still have it in our kitchen in d village.... d water inside dre de make sense..
Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by juman(m): 5:42pm On Aug 27, 2014
danielmichael: lols
..ebola is inevitable

grin
Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by juman(m): 5:43pm On Aug 27, 2014
Gives cold water.
Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by gebest: 5:49pm On Aug 27, 2014
TRADITIONAL REFREGERATOR
Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by yerilistik: 5:49pm On Aug 27, 2014
I drank from this during my village life. In the SE state where I come from it's called Udu or Ite.
Like previous observations, the water was refreshingly cold and I can assure you even healthier than what we drink these days. smiley
Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Aug 27, 2014
Na My Fridge B Dat 4 North Oh
Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by akatop: 6:00pm On Aug 27, 2014
that was my refrigerator
Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by jbc2u(m): 6:00pm On Aug 27, 2014
I have drank from it ooh.....Chai!! in those days....that's our local refrigerator ooh....if u drink frm it,trust me....ur water is always cold or cool....
Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by LuckyLadolce(m): 6:01pm On Aug 27, 2014
We still av it in my house
Re: How Many Of You Ever Drank Water From This? by Orezy5(m): 6:02pm On Aug 27, 2014
DickDastardly: Whats that? undecided Some fettish pot? wink I only take chilled boddle warrer cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

'I Miss Your Manhood & All The Styles’ - Widow Says During Late Husband’s Rite / This Lady Who Can't Remember Her Name In Lagos / Man Whose Wife Died Chasing Side Chick Is Not Dead. He Was In Coma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.