Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,478 members, 7,819,739 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:03 PM

The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria - Jobs/Vacancies (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria (39992 Views)

Amosun Offers Automatic Employment To 12 First Class Graduates / Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... / Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by addempsea(m): 7:18pm On Sep 02, 2014
oyeludef: wat do u mean by dat. watin happen to lautech
it is a sub standard school.
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by oyeludef(m): 8:20pm On Sep 02, 2014
addempsea: it is a sub standard school.
ok. it wld b childish for me to start comparing sch wit u but u r 100percent wrong in ur thought
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:40pm On Sep 02, 2014
Jarus:

smh for someone that could speak English

The only thing I didn't get in my statement was thought. And that's because my phone automatically spells. Number 2 writing in long words when typing it's a bit tedious. Hence I used short forms at times.. If u judge my spoken English wiv those spellings, u are just trying to be mischievous. Anyway, i don't owe u or anybody any explanation. If u are pained by my statements it's ur problem.
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:45pm On Sep 02, 2014
ephi123:

Breathe in, breathe out, and then calm down. I don't understand the level of aggression you are demonstrating all over the thread (abi did a first class holder once vex you ni?) Life is too short to be getting this worked up by other people's affairs so chill abeg.

OP, do not get derailed or demoralized by whatever anyone here is saying. You have done your part, trust in God, have the right mindset, be positive and remain focused, you will certainly get there.

But u got worked up by my comment hence my reply so u need to chill. If u didn't quote me I sure won't no u exist. Meanwhile when did commenting on a topic as much as u want become anybody's problem? You should breathe in and out and stay on ur lane
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:57pm On Sep 02, 2014
sandijey:

The only thing I didn't get in my statement was thought. And that's because my phone automatically spells. Number 2 writing in long words when typing it's a bit tedious. Hence I used short forms at times.. If u judge my spoken English wiv those spellings, u are just trying to be mischievous. Anyway, i don't owe u or anybody any explanation. If u are pained by my statements it's ur problem.

& the punctuations? lol, just calm down.
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:01pm On Sep 02, 2014
kibo:

It is simple, you keep on making the same mistake. First Class was never dished out to anyone. These folks worked hard for it and it is very wrong and inhumane to assert that their papers were given to them on a platter of gold because you dont agree or conform to their system.

May i remind you that the so called first class private university graduates in their numbers topped the recent federal government scholarship exam for first class students only.
NOW BEAT THAT !!!

You dont come up here and start destroying the efforts of people because you feel like or its your opinion. Be ready to backup your assertions with facts and figures !!!

And u are also missing my arguments. I believe a first class graduate is meant to back it up. If u carefully read my statements I was made to believe a first class graduate is all in all. Why should a first class graduate stay at home for more than 1 year. How can a first class graduate go for interviews and not be picked. How come many first class and 2'1 don't have jobs. Doesn't it mean that something is wrong somewhere. Doesn't it mean that it's not all about getting a first class. In those days first class graduates see jobs almost immediately. Why d sudden shift. Preferences were given to first class graduates. What happened to those special recognition. Does it mean they are not as exemplary as before. What more backing up do u need. Is the op not enough proof. I am tired. I don't expect u to accept my arguments but I won't accept yours too.

2 Likes

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:04pm On Sep 02, 2014
coolbibz:

& the punctuations? lol, just calm down.

Yes and the punctuations.....i never give up. grin
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:06pm On Sep 02, 2014
woodcook:

Bros you may need to take a second look at the highlighted.
I'm not confused bro , You have to make yourself employable .... There are Jobs in Nigeria and you can get them either :

a) Being recommended by somebody who has goodwill in an Organisation i.e someone who knows someone that knows someone

Or

b) Perform exceedingly well in your aptitude test and superbly deliver your lines in your interview and Gbam , win your dream Job without Man-No-Man but Merit !!

There is this thing called ''cost benefit analysis'' ..... No employer will employed someone whose cost is beyond the benefit or @par with the benefit to reap from that person .

Conclusion, if you don't know anybody , know your profession very well both academically and professionally

, know the company under review very well , know there Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats

Show the company the passions you have for them in deploying your skills to boast their Opportunities and Strength and Eradicate their present threats and weaknesses

It works well for Private sector but Public Sector is majorly strictly by ''recommendation'' i.e ManKnowMan !!

Therefore, you wanna work in public sector , please make yourself employable , by knowing somebody who knows somebody in the Ministry,department or agency of your choice and gbam , you will get the Job !

Wetin again ?
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Marvin67: 10:18pm On Sep 02, 2014
I've read all sorts on this thread. Including the good the bad and the ugly posts. Here's my opinion.
@Op. Yes, to an extent, graduating with a first class is over hyped. But that's the same way studying GMATS is over hyped, Preparing for Interviews is over hyped, and developing yourself is over hyped.
All those are very necessary because it gives you an edge (no matter how small) over others. However, I've come to realise that nothing gives a person a Job faster than the Grace of God upon that person's life and who you know (especially in Nigeria). I know what I'm saying.
This is how it works. Okay, you have a first class degree, that's fantastic. You apply for jobs, note that even if the employer requests for applications from only first class holders, he'd still get thousands of applications. You're invited for test, where you'd face GMATS, at the point, forget your university first class. You eventually pass the test, you get invited for an interview, infact at this stage, your first class becomes more of a liability, this is because the employer wants you to prove you're a first class material, he therefore fires questions at you, you have no excuses not to perform, because you're an almighty first class holder. You pass the interview stages and go for a medical. At this point fast and pray that one "oga at the top" doesn't remember that he has one unemployed cousin somewhere, cos if he remembers, he'd most likely remove one name from the list of successful applicants. So at this point, your first class can't help you. Only God can direct his hands to pick another name and not yours.
All said, please don't misunderstand my point. Getting a first class is fantastic, studying GMATS is very necessary, preparing for interviews is very important. But most important of them all, is the Grace of God, because that grace can make even a third class holder get a good job without going through any of the recruitment stages.
Lastly op, three months without a job is nothing. I woke up last week to realise that I've stayed for six months. Just keep yourself busy. Look for a teaching job, let children benefit from your first class brain.

4 Likes

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by DrGroove(f): 11:21pm On Sep 02, 2014
Thank God for Medicine and surgery.... We don't do first class things..Spend 6 years or more(as the case may be)Struggle to pass exams,get your certificate, start housemanship and earn a lovely 6-digit salary.For the smart ones,add private practice.. More cash. Go for NYSC, earn more than all other corpers. Write primaries, start residency, become a consultant in 6-8years and you rule! God bless doctors!!
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by alhabeeb(m): 11:33pm On Sep 02, 2014
awayeyebundle: My fellow commentator in Nairaland please know this that someone comes out with Pass in University does'nt mean that someone with 1.1 or 2.1 is more knowledgeable than him/her take for example someone that studies Applied Geology with Pass and someone that has 2.1 in Agric.Science are not the same,no matter how brilliant he/she maybe...so pls course are different,rigorous than each other and also some people cannot defend their result because of bribery issue in most of our higher institution....
wht ar u sayin? Is obvious u ar absolutely ignorant. If nt what is called "Agric Sci." U thought is secondary sch subject right. Get this straight, Agriculture is a faculty/college that comprises of various depts such as Ani sci, Crop sci, Soil sc, Fisheries etc. How on earth could a Pass certf Holder in Geology or wateva u said can b better of/intelligent/hardworkin than 2:1 in any specialization of Agriculture. Certainly they offered the same basic science courses(chm, Mat,Phy,Bio,Sta etc) in 100L . Mind you the field of Agriculture arnt meant for lazy pple . #Proudly Agriculturist.
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by seribroo56(m): 12:55am On Sep 03, 2014
addempsea: it is a sub standard school.
what are you saying. It is now your school that is standard she.rubbish
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by alentyno: 3:32am On Sep 03, 2014
ephi123:

Breathe in, breathe out, and then calm down. I don't understand the level of aggression you are demonstrating all over the thread (abi did a first class holder once vex you ni?) Life is too short to be getting this worked up by other people's affairs so chill abeg.

OP, do not get derailed or demoralized by whatever anyone here is saying. You have done your part, trust in God, have the right mindset, be positive and remain focused, you will certainly get there.
Check her profile pic you will understand why she is sounding so aggressive grin
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by alentyno: 3:48am On Sep 03, 2014
DrGroove: Thank God for Medicine and surgery.... We don't do first class things..Spend 6 years or more(as the case may be)Struggle to pass exams,get your certificate, start housemanship and earn a lovely 6-digit salary.For the smart ones,add private practice..More cash. Go for NYSC, earn more than all other corpers. Write primaries, start residency, become a consultant in 6-8years and you rule! God bless doctors!!
It's always about money........... Passion indeed is BS. Funny thing is 99% of nigerian students deny this fact. We are actually in for the cash that's just the end game!
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by lymelyte(m): 5:50am On Sep 03, 2014
DrGroove: Thank God for Medicine and surgery.... We don't do first class things..Spend 6 years or more(as the case may be)Struggle to pass exams,get your certificate, start housemanship and earn a lovely 6-digit salary.For the smart ones,add private practice.. More cash. Go for NYSC, earn more than all other corpers. Write primaries, start residency, become a consultant in 6-8years and you rule! God bless doctors!!
keep quiet my friend.. That is how u pple spoil d medical profession and become quack doctor.. " struggle to pass exam" shocked SMH...
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Yemisi63: 8:01am On Sep 03, 2014
LOL. Funny blog post dedicated to all nigerian girls with natural hair. Read and thank me later
http://naijasinglegirl.net/natural-hair-is-not-for-poor-nigerians-thank-you/
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by toygod2: 8:18am On Sep 03, 2014
hmmm

1 Like

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by ziidamsel: 8:29am On Sep 03, 2014
sandijey:

Oga thank you. They asked my brother in breweries. Meanwhile who he knew was in the panel nd that one don tell am say make in no talk anything. Seplat nko! I have to many real life stories and I am pained. I have been to interviews too and I no what I have seen. 1st class for this country no sure cus they are many........
I remember my friend who finished wiv a third class and she cried hell when we were graduating. In my head I was always pitying her. Immediately we finished serving, My friend is working in................ oil company! she did no interview. She got to know the daughter of someone who is a top management staff in that company when she was in camp. Who u no helped her. This girl is not olodo contrary to what people think about third class people. She is so intelligent. Ask her anything and she would give u answers. Sometimes I think the course we study have a lot to do wiv our grades. Sometimes we are not where we are supposed to be. The teaching style of the lecturers. Etc. So many variables. In a normal country there shouldn't be discrimination. When you go for a test or interview everybody should be leveled. You would see how well this 3Rd class people will do. But not possible in Nigeria. Anyway me I don dey learn hand work....
So whats the right answer to give? Yes I know someone or No I don't
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by ziidamsel: 8:36am On Sep 03, 2014
SamSara01: I studied Banking and Finance, I just completed a professional course and I'm now a Chartered Banker and no I'm not frustrated. The class of degree I'm carrying as just not so far lived up to the hype students, lecturers and professionals alike have given it.
Meanwhile banks are recruiting well now na. Try access its still on.
U know when I started reading your post, at a point, I thought you read an engineering course tho.
Just keep the hopes high. Its still early(for the Nigeria situation sha) to loose hope.
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by ephi123(f): 8:55am On Sep 03, 2014
alentyno:
Check her profile pic you will understand why she is sounding so aggressive grin

LOL! I can see why now oooh cheesy
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by luvola(m): 9:43am On Sep 03, 2014
sandijey:

Take it easy.
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:19am On Sep 03, 2014
ziidamsel:
So whats the right answer to give? Yes I know someone or No I don't

It depends on who told u about the interview. The person that told u might not want to be known so his/her job won't be jeopardised. If the person is among the panel, the person will help u secretly, But if u say u no this person, he won't be able to talk on ur behalf because they will say he is biased. That's usually how it's done in non governmental org.... if na govt org. u might not even do any interview. They' d just fix u somewhere.
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by ThaSlimKidd: 10:27am On Sep 03, 2014
LOOL!! Just read painstakingly through all the posts, comments, backslashes etc

Look... Don't be deceived, having a first class is a huge bonus. It gives you an edge that's all. You have to do the rest.. I.e. Prove your worth. Also, I think your personality also matters in getting jobs. Most get past the test phase but fail woefully in the interview stage due to this. I've been to group interviews where the interviewer was shocked at the lack of any sort of personality by these so called first class holders. Most of them have no life outside books..
So just keep applying and get your head outta your arse. Get out there, get experience no matter how small, have a personality and most IMPORTANTLY don't forget to pray and ask for grace.
#MyInput

2 Likes

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 11:07am On Sep 03, 2014
DrGroove: Thank God for Medicine and surgery.... We don't do first class things..Spend 6 years or more(as the case may be)Struggle to pass exams,get your certificate, start housemanship and earn a lovely 6-digit salary.For the smart ones,add private practice.. More cash. Go for NYSC, earn more than all other corpers. Write primaries, start residency, become a consultant in 6-8years and you rule! God bless doctors!!

and live an average life for the rest of your life..
salary paying job always end you up in the ' rat race'.
educational excellency us highly recommended, read ws if yout life depends on the degree, get practical experience in your field of study, plan how to capitalized on the great potential we have in this country.

Wolrd richest people are entrepreneurs, that create opportunities in mining, agriculture, trading, telecommunications, construction, manufacturing etc.

salary earners will always be in the rat race
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by buzoo: 4:38pm On Sep 03, 2014
Gorimakpa: My dear you are still in a relatively good situation. You have been in the labour market for only three months, which I do not consider long enough to provoke angst or despondency......

As incredible as it sounds, I intentionally did not make 1st Class because I already knew the implications in a country like Nigeria. It puts too much pressure on you and makes it more humiliating when things don't go your way after graduation. I easily made a 'strong 2.1' even with more than enough social life and extra-curricular activities. In spite of my 2.1, I have not been able to secure the sort of job I have always wanted, and I do not think it would have been any different if I made a 1st Class; probably would have been more humiliating and difficult to bear. Countless times I've done well in aptitude tests and interviews, only to later find out that some barely-literate dolts (with due respect) who can hardly string a decent sentence in English got the jobs through their connections and other back-door means. Sometimes when you interact with the characters that get employed in these great establishments (NCC, NNPC, NERC, Nigerian Breweries, etc), feelings of humiliation and sadness overwhelm you because you know that under normal and fair conditions, they are no match for you.

I happen to have a high standard in terms of employment, with a preference for government MDAs or multinational companies. All the small one-man company jobs or bank/marketing jobs that I have come across are just not my kind of thing, so for some time now I have opted for self-employment - earning a decent living by providing niche services with my own knowledge and skills. The income is not bad at all; certainly better than most of these small companies and even banks can pay entry level employees, with plenty freedom and flexibility for that matter. Sometimes I earn up to N100k for a week's work; other times I earn much less or nothing at all during dry spells, but it's all good. I am still looking out for my dream jobs - especially federal government jobs. Unfortunately, class of degree or even competence are rarely considered for these kinds of jobs. You can be a dullard with a pass degree for all they care, as long as you can get one senator or traditional ruler to intervene on your behalf, you will get the job. It's really sad, but there has to be a way somehow, one day.
Pls, how does 1 get 2 Earn a living providing Niche Services. pls explain cos I am quite interested.
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by buzoo: 4:47pm On Sep 03, 2014
Gorimakpa: My dear you are still in a relatively good situation. You have been in the labour market for only three months, which I do not consider long enough to provoke angst or despondency......

As incredible as it sounds, I intentionally did not make 1st Class because I already knew the implications in a country like Nigeria. It puts too much pressure on you and makes it more humiliating when things don't go your way after graduation. I easily made a 'strong 2.1' even with more than enough social life and extra-curricular activities. In spite of my 2.1, I have not been able to secure the sort of job I have always wanted, and I do not think it would have been any different if I made a 1st Class; probably would have been more humiliating and difficult to bear. Countless times I've done well in aptitude tests and interviews, only to later find out that some barely-literate dolts (with due respect) who can hardly string a decent sentence in English got the jobs through their connections and other back-door means. Sometimes when you interact with the characters that get employed in these great establishments (NCC, NNPC, NERC, Nigerian Breweries, etc), feelings of humiliation and sadness overwhelm you because you know that under normal and fair conditions, they are no match for you.

I happen to have a high standard in terms of employment, with a preference for government MDAs or multinational companies. All the small one-man company jobs or bank/marketing jobs that I have come across are just not my kind of thing, so for some time now I have opted for self-employment - earning a decent living by providing niche services with my own knowledge and skills. The income is not bad at all; certainly better than most of these small companies and even banks can pay entry level employees, with plenty freedom and flexibility for that matter. Sometimes I earn up to N100k for a week's work; other times I earn much less or nothing at all during dry spells, but it's all good. I am still looking out for my dream jobs - especially federal government jobs. Unfortunately, class of degree or even competence are rarely considered for these kinds of jobs. You can be a dullard with a pass degree for all they care, as long as you can get one senator or traditional ruler to intervene on your behalf, you will get the job. It's really sad, but there has to be a way somehow, one day.
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by buzoo: 4:53pm On Sep 03, 2014
[quote author=buzoo][/quote] pls how does 1 get to earn a living providing niche services. Can u please explain better as I highly interested in wht it wud take to earn a living this way. Thank U.
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by thankyouJesus(m): 9:49am On Sep 04, 2014
laplace19:

My friend,it is possible for someone to make 2nd class upper intentionally....like in my own case.... harboured making first class while I was doing pre-degree in futo and made 5.0 CGPA,started my year1 and still make the stuff,but at a point(probably in my year2) I lost interest in this first class thing,but decided to make a strong 2.1 of which am still on now(4.xx).... Seriously, I have come to a stage that I don't fancy this first class stuff. As long as I have the brain why won't I get a job(upholding God's grace shaa)..... started solving GMAT in my year1 and am currently doing my IT in ph and equipping myself with few softwares in civil engineering like Revit Architecture, AutoCad...and will go for Staadpro if I find someone to teach me.... If I know these softwares why won't I find a job in a construction firm or be self-employed....

And if you crave to know how I do it without falling below 4.xx CGPA you can as well ask me.... I will simply tell you... it's so easy if your brain is that strong...

Good Morning Sir. Can I ask for a favour? Could you please send me a copy of the GMAT on ayadifayowole@gmail.com.
Thank you in anticipation of your favourable response.
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:38pm On Sep 19, 2014
edogho: know one thing, u are damn correct. 2sexy is smart believe me. he can learn this art and more only i feel he's overly distracted from a lot of things. i wish him success tho. it is well
bros, I don't understand... wetin I do?
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by liliangmail(f): 1:43pm On Sep 19, 2014
MARVIN@ u ar so so good... ur write up is kul.... so on point...
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by edogho(m): 2:22pm On Sep 19, 2014
2sExy1: bros, I don't understand... wetin I do?
u did nothing wrong bro. just want u to relax, don't worry too much. less than a years job hunting shouldn't be a cause for worrying. i'm just trying to say u'll figure it out. and things will fall in place, that's all. [url href=www.facebook.com/kelvin saturday adigheji] kelvin saturday adigheji [/url] remember me now. i'll to chat more with u on facebook when u're less busy or network permits. i'm thinking of just dropping messages in case i don't meet u online. d best bro
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:32pm On Sep 19, 2014
edogho: u did nothing wrong bro. just want u to relax, don't worry too much. less than a years job hunting shouldn't be a cause for worrying. i'm just trying to say u'll figure it out. and things will fall in place, that's all. [url href=www.facebook.com/kelvin saturday adigheji] kelvin saturday adigheji [/url] remember me now. i'll to chat more with u on facebook when u're less busy or network permits. i'm thinking of just dropping messages in case i don't meet u online. d best bro
where you the one that spoke with me today on facebook? the guy that asked if I was busy or it's network and i answered by saying both?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

n-power Batch C: Umar Farouq Hints On Those To Be Enrolled / Sterling Bank is Giving 2nd Chance / Nigeria Customs Shortlists 162,399 Candidates For Aptitude Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.