Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,656 members, 7,820,284 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:31 PM

The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria - Jobs/Vacancies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria (39997 Views)

Amosun Offers Automatic Employment To 12 First Class Graduates / Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... / Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:28am On Sep 02, 2014
kibo:

I have never read so much poo in my life coming from two individuals. Its either two of you are confused or you just want to comment.

Referring to the bolded, If the so called private universities are churning out less qualified 1st class graduates, then they shouldnt be a threat in the labour market. But according to you, its a problem. Its either the HR folks are getting it wrong by employing them or they are just as good as their public contemporaries. Obviously, the latter is the case.

Dont compensate for your laziness by speaking poo about people that hustled hard for their paper. Wake up from your slumber, the labour market has changed, there is more competition now, people work harder now for their digits.

@op, i advice you to treat some suggestions on this thread as opinions, rather than absorbing it, if not you might just end up in their sorry state with the wrong mentality.

You can never go wrong with a positive attitude. You are a first class material, keeping pushing, your breakthrough is eminent. Please dont let anybody put you in a pitiable state because your mentality affects a lot in life.

Cheers.

You are very silly. You don't have to accept my shit as u put it. Everybody here has one experience or the other and thats what my statement is based on. Which sorry state did u put me or are u talking about. Who doesn't no how private universities dish our first class anyhow.... maybe u are a product of one hence d thing dey pain u cus that was the only point ur brain could register.. Abeg stay on your lane and don't quote me again......
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:31am On Sep 02, 2014
Rich4god: Better start thinking about what to do now before you graduate... The situation in Nigeria dawned on me when I went for IT back then in 2010... Common IT wey dem fit no pay you sef, person no see do upon all the places I waka go... How much more normal graduate job. Since then, I started planing on what to do. I already have a business plan but my greatest set back is funding and banks are not helping matter in times of loan... Its getting to a year after my service year and I have not gotten the type of job that I need...
Thanks bro,I pray you be successful and have class,just continues in your strive and best believe anything is possible if you put your mind and heart into it.
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:34am On Sep 02, 2014
Jst 3 months and u are complaining?! Mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew. Go park well
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by athorello(m): 10:38am On Sep 02, 2014
Seriously I don't see much difference between a first class graduate like me and others. Just that we focused our intelligence on different aspects. I do refer to a friend who graduated with 3rd class as a genius though we may argue about that. On the unemployment thing, bro, take it easy. I've passed out of service for over a year now but still hustling. Your course of study and your technical/personal skills have a role here. Plus it takes lots of balls to take a menial job now. Jobs like dry cleaning, cleaner, security, driver, teaching, etc, are readily available.

1 Like

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by chemicstein: 10:38am On Sep 02, 2014
The Uncomfortable Truth About Jobs Posted Online | Michael M. | LinkedIn

https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140901045327-1229690-the-uncomfortable-truth-about-jobs-posted-online?trk=api*a221151*s229119*
SamSara01: Friday 5th of September will make it exactly 3 months I passed out of service. I'm a 1st class holder and the best graduating student of my department and faculty in a reputable public university in the south-west but I'm currently unemployed. Of course, my cause of worry does not major on being currently unemployed, but majors on how the hope of getting a job soon seems so deem. More worrying is how professionals, lecturers, friends, family and everyone else alike kept and keep singing to my hear how so easy it will be for people like me to secure not just a job but a very good job. As it is, I don't seem better off than someone who spent every single night at a night club while I was burying my head in books during my school days. How do I motivate an aspiring student who thinks what I'm carrying is the gateway to success? If this has been the tale of people like me, then 1st class honour has truly been over-hyped in Nigeria.
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:38am On Sep 02, 2014
Giannakopoulos: I agree with you,but there are a lot of private sector jobs out there to easily grab,without GMAT or whatsoever with minimum starting pay of @least 100k,Fed/State job isn't easy.

Guy where them dey? Example plsssss
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:39am On Sep 02, 2014
tuwayz: I just hope it's not what am thinking
Doesn't matter what you think what matters is getting paid,cash rule the world,always think that!!
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:42am On Sep 02, 2014
ephi123:

How on earth do people make generic statements like this?! Kai. Naija
1st class is not a measure of intelligence but to make such a statement is wrong on all levels.
Students, study hard and put your best foot forward - please do not listen to stuff that would make you think it doesn't matter.

Even with the man-know-man in Naija, there are still those that get jobs without knowing anyone.

Madam I repeat a lot of first class material are not intelligent. A first class graduate of maths that I no who thought me in my 300 level could not speak English well. New nothing about current affairs. But He was great in maths. Many of them are like that. Brilliant but bad personality and no nothing outside their course. My course is a course that u must do presentation. Talk in class in front of everybody. One of my seniors in school was always fidgeting and she always failed presentations. How can she pass an interview wiv her 2'1. I am not making generalisation. This problem is very common. To me A first class graduate is more than paper qualifications. When u speak it must show. Such a person is an all rounder. I have been to many interviews o and I no exactly what I am saying. Its not about reading to pass. Which many people do. You should be able to defend what u came out wiv. The fact that u came out wiv a 1 st class has put u above a lot of people. It must show in everything. These interviewers can be crazy. Ask crazy questions unrelated to ur course. Ask real life questions that has nothing to do wiv what u write on paper in school. That is my point between brilliance and intelligence.

4 Likes

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 10:46am On Sep 02, 2014
laplace19:

I am aware of that....nowadays civil engineers are going into architectural softwares... I don't wanna know only civil softwares,cos I like to be vast especially in other careers....If I get a contract instead of giving an architect to perform his own part I will do it,get the pay and still do the civil aspect(get the pay too).... ndi igbo turu ilu si na "anaghi edebe otule ofu ebe aza ezi"...

Btw,where do you domicile,cos I really need to learn one or two softwares from you.... thanks

leave architecture for architect bro....I was once like you bro, I can also use revit, sketch up and 3D home. civil engineering is a very wide course and u can specialized in different area like structures ( consultancy and construction), water resources, high way engineering, geotechnic and project management etc
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:57am On Sep 02, 2014
chizzy94:

Same thing Total E&P asked me after acing their test...

I'm yet to be called as at the time of my quoting you smiley and recruitment has begun.

Oga thank you. They asked my brother in breweries. Meanwhile who he knew was in the panel nd that one don tell am say make in no talk anything. Seplat nko! I have to many real life stories and I am pained. I have been to interviews too and I no what I have seen. 1st class for this country no sure cus they are many........
I remember my friend who finished wiv a third class and she cried hell when we were graduating. In my head I was always pitying her. Immediately we finished serving, My friend is working in................ oil company! she did no interview. She got to know the daughter of someone who is a top management staff in that company when she was in camp. Who u no helped her. This girl is not olodo contrary to what people think about third class people. She is so intelligent. Ask her anything and she would give u answers. Sometimes I think the course we study have a lot to do wiv our grades. Sometimes we are not where we are supposed to be. The teaching style of the lecturers. Etc. So many variables. In a normal country there shouldn't be discrimination. When you go for a test or interview everybody should be leveled. You would see how well this 3Rd class people will do. But not possible in Nigeria. Anyway me I don dey learn hand work....

3 Likes

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by ephi123(f): 11:14am On Sep 02, 2014
sandijey:

Madam I repeat a lot of first class material are not intelligent. A first class graduate of maths that I no who thought me in my 300 level could not speak English well. New nothing about current affairs. But He was great in maths. Many of them are like that. Brilliant but bad personality and no nothing outside their course. My course is a course that u must do presentation. Talk in class in front of everybody. One of my seniors in school was always fidgeting and she always failed presentations. How can she pass an interview wiv her 2'1. I am not making generalisation. This problem is very common. To me A first class graduate is more than paper qualifications. When u speak it must show. Such a person is an all rounder. I have been to many interviews o and I no exactly what I am saying. Its not about reading to pass. Which many people do. You should be able to defend what u came out wiv. The fact that u came out wiv a 1 st class has put u above a lot of people. It must show in everything. These interviewers can be crazy. Ask crazy questions unrelated to ur course. Ask real life questions that has nothing to do wiv what u write on paper in school. That is my point between brilliance and intelligence.

And you are talking about someone not knowing how to speak English well?! I rest my case. Just always remember that when you point a finger at someone, the remaining four are pointing back at you.

1 Like

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Rich4god(m): 11:21am On Sep 02, 2014
Just like sandijey said... There are so many brain that ended up with 3rd class/2:2... Thast why I have always advocated that multinationals should give every degree holder equal chance in their recruitment. Since there are so many recruitment agency that will help them manage the crowd at the initial stage of recruitment.

2 Likes

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by kibo: 11:31am On Sep 02, 2014
sandijey:

You are very silly. You don't have to accept my shit as u put it. Everybody here has one experience or the other and thats what my statement is based on. Which sorry state did u put me or are u talking about. Who doesn't no how private universities dish our first class anyhow.... maybe u are a product of one hence d thing dey pain u cus that was the only point ur brain could register.. Abeg stay on your lane and don't quote me again......

I can quote you when and how i like, as a matter of fact, i am doing it now and there is nothing you can do about it.

You simply made a wrong assertion about hardworking folks and i simply challenged you by CALLING YOUR BLUFF !!

I dont have to accept your "shit" as you put it and so those everyone else here because it is mediocre, lacks substance and can destroy self esteem.

Infact, if i could, i cant advice a dog to think this way. This is not a call for bitterness or unnecessary sentiments towards people who have worked hard for their paper. My advice for you is to use the time you spend on rating first class graduates to work on yourself and develop your potentials.

I am a product of excellence by grace. It has nothing to do with the degree, but in personal determination and self worth.

Peace.
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by ogawisdom(m): 11:48am On Sep 02, 2014
kibo:

I have never read so much poo in my life coming from two individuals. Its either two of you are confused or you just want to comment.

Referring to the bolded, If the so called private universities are churning out less qualified 1st class graduates, then they shouldnt be a threat in the labour market. But according to you, its a problem. Its either the HR folks are getting it wrong by employing them or they are just as good as their public contemporaries. Obviously, the latter is the case.

Dont compensate for your laziness by speaking poo about people that hustled hard for their paper. Wake up from your slumber, the labour market has changed, there is more competition now, people work harder now for their digits.

@op, i advice you to treat some suggestions on this thread as opinions, rather than absorbing it, if not you might just end up in their sorry state with the wrong mentality.

You can never go wrong with a positive attitude. You are a first class material, keeping pushing, your breakthrough is eminent. Please dont let anybody put you in a pitiable state because your mentality affects a lot in life.

Cheers.

If u see me in real life u ll lie down to greet me, thank God for virtual life on internet dt gave u d right to talk nonsense. Most first class and 2.1 degrees are bought in many universities in Nigeria using favour and money esp in Private university where it is a compensation for paying high sch fees. If dt breaks your heart then u can go n die. First class quality varies from sch to sch some first class graduates in many glorified secondary schools universities cant even graduate (as in with a pass degree) in top universities in Nigeria like UNN, ABU, UNIBADAN, UNILAG,UNILORIN,OAU etc You cant get first class in these unis and nt b top notch (prof soludo comes to mind first graduate of UNN, late prof dora 2.1 product of UNN) but when you buy get it from glorified secondary schools u r on ur own.

Very very few first class degree and 2.1 graduates merit them and those ones dnt attend more than 3 job interviews before getting a job.
Water don pass garri as far as d quality of graduates r concerned. Ndi mechanic ekwere anyi mara ndi ara. If u ve a first class and u attend three interviews without landing a job then u shld bury ur head in shame bc u didnt merit dt first class u parade with and u r an embarrassment to real first class graduates.

2 Likes

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:53am On Sep 02, 2014

2 Likes

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by edogho(m): 11:58am On Sep 02, 2014
taiwolusol:

And this your post is supposed to be better?
grin grin
Funny Nigerians

BACK TO THE TOPIC
It takes smartness to Land the Big Jobs. Op, you first of all need to drop the "It should,be easy" thought and take the bull by the horn.
Get rugged and ruthless... Landing the Dream job is an Art in itself. You have to learn that Art, you need to master it!
know one thing, u are damn correct. 2sexy is smart believe me. he can learn this art and more only i feel he's overly distracted from a lot of things. i wish him success tho. it is well
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by ezelous: 12:17pm On Sep 02, 2014
Look young man,be patient! That time will come. Apply continuously,pray n be patient. period!
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by yankeedudu01(m): 12:38pm On Sep 02, 2014
SamSara01: Friday 5th of September will make it [b]exactly 3 months [/b]I passed out of service. I'm a 1st class holder and the best graduating student of my department and faculty in a reputable public university in the south-west but I'm currently unemployed. Of course, my cause of worry does not major on being currently unemployed, but majors on how the hope of getting a job soon seems so deem. More worrying is how professionals, lecturers, friends, family and everyone else alike kept and keep singing to my hear how so easy it will be for people like me to secure not just a job but a very good job. As it is, I don't seem better off than someone who spent every single night at a night club while I was burying my head in books during my school days. How do I motivate an aspiring student who thinks what I'm carrying is the gateway to success? If this has been the tale of people like me, then 1st class honour has truly been over-hyped in Nigeria.
Relax! The Job will come, just keep applying
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Danhumprey: 12:42pm On Sep 02, 2014
SamSara01: Friday 5th of September will make it exactly 3 months I passed out of service. I'm a 1st class holder and the best graduating student of my department and faculty in a reputable public university in the south-west but I'm currently unemployed. Of course, my cause of worry does not major on being currently unemployed, but majors on how the hope of getting a job soon seems so deem. More worrying is how professionals, lecturers, friends, family and everyone else alike kept and keep singing to my hear how so easy it will be for people like me to secure not just a job but a very good job. As it is, I don't seem better off than someone who spent every single night at a night club while I was burying my head in books during my school days. How do I motivate an aspiring student who thinks what I'm carrying is the gateway to success? If this has been the tale of people like me, then 1st class honour has truly been over-hyped in Nigeria.
I share your thought,bro. 1st class degree is just overhyped and exaggerated!
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:17pm On Sep 02, 2014
kibo:

I can quote you when and how i like, as a matter of fact, i am doing it now and there is nothing you can do about it.

You simply made a wrong assertion about hardworking folks and i simply challenged you by CALLING YOUR BLUFF !!

I dont have to accept your "shit" as you put it and so those everyone else here because it is mediocre, lacks substance and can destroy self esteem.

Infact, if i could, i cant advice a dog to think this way. This is not a call for bitterness or unnecessary sentiments towards people who have worked hard for their paper. My advice for you is to use the time you spend on rating first class graduates to work on yourself and develop your potentials.

I am a product of excellence by grace. It has nothing to do with the degree, but in personal determination and self worth.

Peace.

You just wanna talk for the sake of talking. I don't have time for argument. I am giving real life experiences so are u. I didn't say u were talking poo because u are entitled to your opinion. If u got to where u were because of hard work or whatever. There are a million people who did the same thing u did and are no where. I gave many reasons especially why the op should not rely on only his first class or feel entitled to it in a country like ours so what's your stress. And I still stand on the fact that first class almost has no meaning because of the way it's been dished out especially by private universities. A lot of people carry first class and 2'1 so the o.p is not special and shouldn't feel he is the only one around wiv a first. Class. If u dint like that statement. Its ur business. I still stand by my assertion
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:20pm On Sep 02, 2014
ephi123:

And you are talking about someone not knowing how to speak English well?! I rest my case. Just always remember that when you point a finger at someone, the remaining four are pointing back at you.

You that no English. I hope u don't use short forms in writing English and I hope u don't make mistakes when u type. If u do. Then hold ur peace. Am typing from a phone hence anyone is entitled to typos. U made no sense.
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 1:35pm On Sep 02, 2014
sandijey:

you don't really get the bigger picture.
Nigeria is a third class English speaking country, so we all struggled to speak good English.

Your ability to use mathematics, applied science, etc to solve human problem makes you an exceptional student.

1.1 or 2.1 in engineering is when u can use what have learned in school to tackle real life situations. You don't need to graduate with 1.1 to know what is going on around you ( when you have the internet)

1 Like

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:01pm On Sep 02, 2014
abdulwastecx:

you don't really get the bigger picture.
Nigeria is a third class English speaking country, so we all struggled to speak good English.

Your ability to use mathematics, applied science, etc to solve human problem makes you an exceptional student.

1.1 or 2.1 in engineering is when u can use what have learned in school to tackle real life situations. You don't need to graduate with 1.1 to know what is going on around you ( when you have the internet)

That is not true. Who doesn't know what they teach in schools are theories. You can never be excellent wiv out using real life situations. Architects who don't go on field trips. Lawyers who don't go to law courts, or as simple as my course may sound. I studied psychology and went to psychiatric hospital once. It wasn't even planned by the school authorities. We students planned it. This is something that should be compulsory. All we knew was paper work, theory. Only course which seem really good is medicine. They deal wiv humans from scratch I think. Maybe because it's more delicate. That's my point. U don't have to agree
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by bigmoztj(m): 2:31pm On Sep 02, 2014
Ferdybaba: Just Three months? Pls don't sweat it bro...The first class thingy is just for personal pride or maybe to impress on your children in future, it has nothing to do with getting a good job...Many first class are without good jobs for more than 2 years and ppl with even 2.2 have good jobs, some resort to to taking a GA job in the University. It's not by your power, TIME and CHANCE answers all botherin problems..Just keep cool, your job will come in due time with God by ur side and it will be massive. Thanks.
Atimes i wonder why sum1 will go to school with the assumption that making a first class is a sure way to success........Reality of life is beyond that understanding, I'm 2.2 graduate and I bet a few of the so called first class ppl can match up with my stuff. If you worth your salt as a first class graduate and the best student of your dept. i expect jobs openings should be asking your where about. I hate this brainwashing. Anyway i wish you lock and pray to God, stop depending on your ego as a First Class stuff because nobody will automatically give job just because you have first class tag, you must prove your worth!

1 Like

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by kibo: 2:43pm On Sep 02, 2014
sandijey:
You just wanna talk for the sake of talking. I don't have time for argument. I am giving real life experiences so are u. I didn't say u were talking poo because u are entitled to your opinion. If u got to where u were because of hard work or whatever. There are a million people who did the same thing u did and are no where. I gave many reasons especially why the op should not rely on only his first class or feel entitled to it in a country like ours so what's your stress. And I still stand on the fact that first class almost has no meaning because of the way it's been dished out especially by private universities. A lot of people carry first class and 2'1 so the o.p is not special and shouldn't feel he is the only one around wiv a first. Class. If u dint like that statement. Its ur business. I still stand by my assertion

It is simple, you keep on making the same mistake. First Class was never dished out to anyone. These folks worked hard for it and it is very wrong and inhumane to assert that their papers were given to them on a platter of gold because you dont agree or conform to their system.

May i remind you that the so called first class private university graduates in their numbers topped the recent federal government scholarship exam for first class students only.
NOW BEAT THAT !!!

You dont come up here and start destroying the efforts of people because you feel like or its your opinion. Be ready to backup your assertions with facts and figures !!!

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by oyeludef(m): 3:32pm On Sep 02, 2014
addempsea: Probably cause of your school. E.g. LAUTECH.
wat do u mean by dat. watin happen to lautech
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by ephi123(f): 3:54pm On Sep 02, 2014
sandijey:

You that no English. I hope u don't use short forms in writing English and I hope u don't make mistakes when u type. If u do. Then hold ur peace. Am typing from a phone hence anyone is entitled to typos. U made no sense.

Breathe in, breathe out, and then calm down. I don't understand the level of aggression you are demonstrating all over the thread (abi did a first class holder once vex you ni?) Life is too short to be getting this worked up by other people's affairs so chill abeg.

OP, do not get derailed or demoralized by whatever anyone here is saying. You have done your part, trust in God, have the right mindset, be positive and remain focused, you will certainly get there.
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by lockupman(m): 4:20pm On Sep 02, 2014
Chairman don't allow this country make nonsense of you. Go global, it's different out there. Take the GRE and TOEFL or IELTS with little funds you can get from say teaching in a secondary school, get very good scores in both tests and apply to schools in US. Further your education. You can 100% scholarship. Take those tests and apply for FALL 2015 in US.

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by mrnigeria(m): 4:57pm On Sep 02, 2014
What course did you major in?
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Jarus(m): 6:50pm On Sep 02, 2014
sandijey:

Madam I repeat a lot of first class material are not intelligent. A first class graduate of maths that I no who thought me in my 300 level could not speak English well. New nothing about current affairs. But He was great in maths. Many of them are like that. Brilliant but bad personality and[b] no [/b] nothing outside their course. My course is a course that u must do presentation. Talk in class in front of everybody. One of my seniors in school was always fidgeting and she always failed presentations. How can she pass an interview wiv her 2'1. I am not making generalisation. This problem is very common. To me A first class graduate is more than paper qualifications. When u speak it must show. Such a person is an all rounder. I have been to many interviews o and I no exactly what I am saying. Its not about reading to pass. Which many people do. You should be able to defend what u came out wiv. The fact that u came out wiv a 1 st class has put u above a lot of people. It must show in everything. These interviewers can be crazy. Ask crazy questions unrelated to ur course. Ask real life questions that has nothing to do wiv what u write on paper in school. That is my point between brilliance and intelligence.

smh for someone that could speak English

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Jarus(m): 7:05pm On Sep 02, 2014
chizzy94:

Same thing Total E&P asked me after acing their test...

I'm yet to be called as at the time of my quoting you smiley and recruitment has begun.

Naivety at play.

I seriously doubt Total E&P will recruit you based on who you know for the purpose of connection.

I know what you're talking about. It is a known fact that IOCs seek as much information as possible from applicants - some multi-stage online forms, with different sections and different questions. Such companies have robust systems, globally. That question of "Do you know someone that works in our company?" is common in forms - even in scholarship forms. The purpose is to safeguard their conflict of interest policy.

Guess what? It is better for you not to know anyone than to know someone there. Knowing someone means there is the risk - no matter how remote - that someone can aid your recruitment process, which is contrary to their policy of merit. Although it is not a criterion for automatic disqualification as the risk is usually assessed based on company policy.

This is a common question in forms anywhere in the world. I can see your naivety.

4 Likes

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:16pm On Sep 02, 2014
The whole ball of wax boils down to equipping yourself with the neccessary skills needed to thrive in the job market. Let me elucidate a little:

You studied banking & finance and would probably want to work in a financial organisation or a bank, right? Probably through any of their graduate trainee schemes, right? However, I deem it imperative to add that as we all know, most of these recruiting firms accept applications from virtually all courses—all you get are age & grade restrictions often times—as a result, everyone applies. The very smart engineering, accounting, mathematics, statistics graduates (just to mention a few) all apply for that same job opening, and guess what? Most of these aptitude tests are contrived to test your mathematical skill & maybe grammatical skill often times. You are competing with engineers, mathematicians, physicists with adept mathematical backgrounds— competition becomes stiff. Take a look at the comments here alone, you can tell there are many smart Nigerian graduates. No need being solipsistic, you aren't alone in this mess.

While you wait out on your dream job, accoutre yourself with the necessary skills needed to thrive in the job market—don't stop reading, be open-minded & informed, always visit the Nairaland job section for new opportunities, solve as many practice tests as you can & always apply for postgraduate scholarship opportunities —there are many of them. My 2cents.

Lest it escapes me, don't stop making your CV look better. On the other hand, you can write your GRE & TOEFL, try get ace scores, apply to mid profile US schools to accrue your chances of being funded via RA or TA, and leave the damn country.

May the Lord see us through.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigeria Customs Shortlists 162,399 Candidates For Aptitude Test / Sterling Bank is Giving 2nd Chance / Nigerian Army Begins 2018 Recruitment Of 77 Regular Recruits: How To Apply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.