Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,672 members, 7,820,360 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:36 PM

The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria (39998 Views)

Amosun Offers Automatic Employment To 12 First Class Graduates / Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... / Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:21pm On Sep 01, 2014
SamSara01: Friday 5th of September will make it exactly 3 months I passed out of service. I'm a 1st class holder and the best graduating student of my department and faculty in a reputable public university in the south-west but I'm currently unemployed. Of course, my cause of worry does not major on being currently unemployed, but majors on how the hope of getting a job soon seems so deem. More worrying is how professionals, lecturers, friends, family and everyone else alike kept and keep singing to my hear how so easy it will be for people like me to secure not just a job but a very good job. As it is, I don't seem better off than someone who spent every single night at a night club while I was burying my head in books during my school days. How do I motivate an aspiring student who thinks what I'm carrying is the gateway to success? If this has been the tale of people like me, then 1st class honour has truly been over-hyped in Nigeria.
It all depends on the field of study and the reputation of the school you graduated from in nigeria . Comm'on a first class in a very good field of study shouldn't give you extra effort in finding a job but I have a friend like in similar situation, he graduated with a first class in french and its almost a year now since he's been looking for a job. He's has so many questions to answer than ask because its really going to be tough for him.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by WoodcrestMayor(m): 5:24pm On Sep 01, 2014
I agree.Many school 'lld give him funding + stipends sef as a GA
hok4u: @OP I think you should go for your post graduate study(if you can afford it) pending the time your dream job will surface.
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:32pm On Sep 01, 2014
Realistically,type of situations and comments you guys are posting on here is really scary for us undergraduate still in school hoping to join the labour market pretty soon *eyes rollin,anyways I already have a masterplan as an undergraduate with a capitalist mentality and top of 2015 I hope to be earninq atleast _____ per week while chasinq this degree in here.
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by tuwayz(m): 5:49pm On Sep 01, 2014
aaronson: Realistically,type of situations and comments you guys are posting on here is really scary for us undergraduate still in school hoping to join the labour market pretty soon *eyes rollin,anyways I already have a masterplan as an undergraduate with a capitalist mentality and top of 2015 I hope to be earninq atleast _____ per week while chasinq this degree in here.
I just hope it's not what am thinking
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Rich4god(m): 5:59pm On Sep 01, 2014
Giannakopoulos: I agree with you,but there are a lot of private sector jobs out there to easily grab,without GMAT or whatsoever with minimum starting pay of @least 100k,Fed/State job isn't easy.
I dont think there is stress in getting a job as a doctor cos of little competition... At worst, you get in a private/mission with atleast 60k as start up. Now, compare that with other graduates who hardly get a job and when they do, the start up might be less than 50k after the stress of test/interview. The best course to do now is medicine... Then maybe civil engr/architect where you can easily start on your own with little or no capital...

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Rich4god(m): 6:07pm On Sep 01, 2014
aaronson: Realistically,type of situations and comments you guys are posting on here is really scary for us undergraduate still in school hoping to join the labour market pretty soon *eyes rollin,anyways I already have a masterplan as an undergraduate with a capitalist mentality and top of 2015 I hope to be earninq atleast _____ per week while chasinq this degree in here.
Better start thinking about what to do now before you graduate... The situation in Nigeria dawned on me when I went for IT back then in 2010... Common IT wey dem fit no pay you sef, person no see do upon all the places I waka go... How much more normal graduate job. Since then, I started planing on what to do. I already have a business plan but my greatest set back is funding and banks are not helping matter in times of loan... Its getting to a year after my service year and I have not gotten the type of job that I need...

3 Likes

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by MissJennifer(f): 6:19pm On Sep 01, 2014
Gorimakpa: My dear you are still in a relatively good situation. You have been in the labour market for only three months, which I do not consider long enough to provoke angst or despondency......

As incredible as it sounds, I intentionally did not make 1st Class because I already knew the implications in a country like Nigeria. It puts too much pressure on you and makes it more humiliating when things don't go your way after graduation. I easily made a 'strong 2.1' even with more than enough social life and extra-curricular activities. In spite of my 2.1, I have not been able to secure the sort of job I have always wanted, and I do not think it would have been any different if I made a 1st Class; probably would have been more humiliating and difficult to bear. Countless times I've done well in aptitude tests and interviews, only to later find out that some barely-literate dolts (with due respect) who can hardly string a decent sentence in English got the jobs through their connections and other back-door means. Sometimes when you interact with the characters that get employed in these great establishments (NCC, NNPC, NERC, Nigerian Breweries, etc), feelings of humiliation and sadness overwhelm you because you know that under normal and fair conditions, they are no match for you.

I happen to have a high standard in terms of employment, with a preference for government MDAs or multinational companies. All the small one-man company jobs or bank/marketing jobs that I have come across are just not my kind of thing, so for some time now I have opted for self-employment - earning a decent living by providing niche services with my own knowledge and skills. The income is not bad at all; certainly better than most of these small companies and even banks can pay entry level employees, with plenty freedom and flexibility for that matter. Sometimes I earn up to N100k for a week's work; other times I earn much less or nothing at all during dry spells, but it's all good. I am still looking out for my dream jobs - especially federal government jobs. Unfortunately, class of degree or even competence are rarely considered for these kinds of jobs. You can be a dullard with a pass degree for all they care, as long as you can get one senator or traditional ruler to intervene on your behalf, you will get the job. It's really sad, but there has to be a way somehow, one day.

Lol, sometimes I wish I did the same........plus am jus not interested in lecturing but I believe God let it happen for a reason.
@ op, keep calm and trust God
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by crudedude(m): 6:23pm On Sep 01, 2014
Gorimakpa: My dear you are still in a relatively good situation. You have been in the labour market for only three months, which I do not consider long enough to provoke angst or despondency......

As incredible as it sounds, I intentionally did not make 1st Class because I already knew the implications in a country like Nigeria. It puts too much pressure on you and makes it more humiliating when things don't go your way after graduation. I easily made a 'strong 2.1' even with more than enough social life and extra-curricular activities. In spite of my 2.1, I have not been able to secure the sort of job I have always wanted, and I do not think it would have been any different if I made a 1st Class; probably would have been more humiliating and difficult to bear. Countless times I've done well in aptitude tests and interviews, only to later find out that some barely-literate dolts (with due respect) who can hardly string a decent sentence in English got the jobs through their connections and other back-door means. Sometimes when you interact with the characters that get employed in these great establishments (NCC, NNPC, NERC, Nigerian Breweries, etc), feelings of humiliation and sadness overwhelm you because you know that under normal and fair conditions, they are no match for you.

I happen to have a high standard in terms of employment, with a preference for government MDAs or multinational companies. All the small one-man company jobs or bank/marketing jobs that I have come across are just not my kind of thing, so for some time now I have opted for self-employment - earning a decent living by providing niche services with my own knowledge and skills. The income is not bad at all; certainly better than most of these small companies and even banks can pay entry level employees, with plenty freedom and flexibility for that matter. Sometimes I earn up to N100k for a week's work; other times I earn much less or nothing at all during dry spells, but it's all good. I am still looking out for my dream jobs - especially federal government jobs. Unfortunately, class of degree or even competence are rarely considered for these kinds of jobs. You can be a dullard with a pass degree for all they care, as long as you can get one senator or traditional ruler to intervene on your behalf, you will get the job. It's really sad, but there has to be a way somehow, one day.

Bros share with me this trade secret if you can. I believe your saying you deliberately made a 2.1. Had a friend then who did same. Its kinda funny but I see his reasons now.
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by obiscolly(m): 6:54pm On Sep 01, 2014
Man, take heart! I can relate..There is nothing wrong with you. We just have to blame the system for this anomaly. In more civilized societies, bagging a first class automatically guarantees your employment after school. That was also the case here in Nigeria; back in the days. I really wonder why that had to change. I wonder how the confidence in our first class graduates deteriorated to this state. It's quite pathetic!

As I'll say always, persistence is key! Just keep pushing!
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by dammytosh: 7:53pm On Sep 01, 2014
SamSara01: Friday 5th of September will make it exactly 3 months I passed out of service. I'm a 1st class holder and the best graduating student of my department and faculty in a reputable public university in the south-west but I'm currently unemployed. Of course, my cause of worry does not major on being currently unemployed, but majors on how the hope of getting a job soon seems so deem. More worrying is how professionals, lecturers, friends, family and everyone else alike kept and keep singing to my hear how so easy it will be for people like me to secure not just a job but a very good job. As it is, I don't seem better off than someone who spent every single night at a night club while I was burying my head in books during my school days. How do I motivate an aspiring student who thinks what I'm carrying is the gateway to success? If this has been the tale of people like me, then 1st class honour has truly been over-hyped in Nigeria.

What course did you study ?

There is nothing wrong with having a first class. You need information. With the grade you are laying claim to, there are several international scholarships you qualify for.

You need information not venting unnecessary anger after just 3 months.

Send me a PM and also spend more productive times not on nairaland but looking for scholarship to further your career

And to all the posters claiming they intentionally did not have first class, "FOR AU LONG WILL THOU DECEIVE THY SELF ?"

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:57pm On Sep 01, 2014
Whoever said a first class degree or 2:1 wuld land you a first class job was/is a scammer.......Its a scam dude...I say it loud again 'its a big scam'...! Imagine a Chinese firm pricing me 20k as salary during an interview today. I laughed in Chinese for them & they foolishly responded not knowing am weeping inside. Please keep your head up and don't be depressed.....THE BEST IS YET TO COME....ONLY TIME WILL TELL. May the labour of every graduates never be in vain! Selah!!!

17 Likes

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by D33VA(f): 7:58pm On Sep 01, 2014
What did u read?? It's nt all abt being a first class. If u read a course dt does nt hv mch employment opportunities den srry.

N again y wait for a 'job'?
Find a need, fill dat need my friend.
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by pussyeater(m): 8:00pm On Sep 01, 2014
What did u major in, I mean ur 1st class?
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by code11(m): 8:07pm On Sep 01, 2014
guy don't tell me that this my 4.87 GP n.a. rubbish, I better rock this my final year forget GP!

1 Like

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:07pm On Sep 01, 2014
Sorry bro. I dont have a job for you but send me an emai let me know what you did study in the university. For those telling him there are over a million scholarship out there he qualified for. You people should not raise his hopes again. Funding are not easy to come these days so you better brace yourself up.

1 Like

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by EbiJUNIRO(m): 8:08pm On Sep 01, 2014
Still asking myself same question sha
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:10pm On Sep 01, 2014
Just 3 months and the guy is already frustrated. How many jobs have u applied for, how many interviews have u attended, do u even have GMAT? wat interview skills have u acquired? If u have not attended up to five interviews, then you are just impatiently ranting. The days where jobs wait for you have been gone since d days of shagari. Just take ur time and do things right!

Nigerian youths... always impatient since d days of Nebuchadnezzar...

2 Likes

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by iamord(m): 8:10pm On Sep 01, 2014
taiwolusol:

And this your post is supposed to be better?
grin grin
Funny Nigerians

BACK TO THE TOPIC
It takes smartness to Land the Big Jobs. Op, you first of all need to drop the "It should,be easy" thought and take the bull by the horn.
Get rugged and ruthless... Landing the Dream job is an Art in itself. You have to learn that Art, you need to master it!

U r right.. But that art seems to be mastered by the ones that went to club!

1 Like

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by leonard509(m): 8:11pm On Sep 01, 2014
Gbesay
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by goldfish80(m): 8:11pm On Sep 01, 2014
Why is the op deliberately avoiding questions of the course he majored. Am thinking he studied library science or something like that at federal college of education Ohaji Egbema.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by ewizard1: 8:13pm On Sep 01, 2014
Education gaan....
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by rozayx5(m): 8:15pm On Sep 01, 2014
any undergraduate in Nigeria who does not have powerful relatives in Nigeria , should better have some little entrepreneural traits, unless lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:16pm On Sep 01, 2014
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Jarus(m): 8:17pm On Sep 01, 2014
First Class will not get you automatic employment. You still have to work for it. What efforts are you making? Are you nosing for information?

What were you doing during NYSC?

Have you written any test in the past? Did you pass them?

I know at least 10 companies that don't care about your course of study (and even school), once you have 2.1 and above and not above 26 years: Accenture, KPMG, PwC etc. I can assure you that if you apply to these companies, you will be called for test, now left for you to prove yourself.

This is KPMG recruiting graduates irrespective of course (http://www.jarushub.com/kpmg-recruiting-graduates/), have you applied for it?

Look, the greatest mistake you can make is sitting there and thinking First Class will land you automatic employment.

And for me, spending 3 months at home, post-NYSC, is not too much, especially in this season of general lull. To me, it becomes an issue when it reaches 1 year. Some companies' recruitment process takes 1 year. I know First Class grads that spent 1 years at home. In fact, one of my friends not only had First Class, he also had ICAN, but did not get job until after 1 year. He's now doing well with a top bank in Nigeria.

By the grace of God, I also hold a First, and got a job within 2 weeks of completing my NYSC. I can tell you that First Class is a leg up if you truly worked for it.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Bryan12(m): 8:18pm On Sep 01, 2014
This dude graduated with 1st class and he's complaining.What do you expect 3rd class graduates to do? Commit suicide??

2 Likes

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 8:21pm On Sep 01, 2014

You need to review your application capabilities and interview skills.

If you have a first class degree from any of Nigeria's Top 10 or so universities and can't get a job, then majority of the blame lies with you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by caxim04(m): 8:21pm On Sep 01, 2014
You are good. proof it don't rest go and start writing professional course(s).

if not OYO!!!
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:23pm On Sep 01, 2014

You are now learning the hard way cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Donkunxex(m): 8:23pm On Sep 01, 2014
@op. what course did u study... u no paste am
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by vision2050: 8:26pm On Sep 01, 2014
Which course you study? Many go to school for going sake because they have tired of been sitting down at home, they will accept any course to study. E.g Soil science. If you have first class in irrelevant course broda na oyo you dey o

2 Likes

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by TopUpGold: 8:27pm On Sep 01, 2014
You just joined the league and you're complaining.

Calm down bro. It's too early to cry foul.
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:27pm On Sep 01, 2014
just 3 months... u think as per 1st class, u go get job d next week after service abi... nonsense..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigeria Customs Shortlists 162,399 Candidates For Aptitude Test / Sterling Bank is Giving 2nd Chance / Nigerian Army Begins 2018 Recruitment Of 77 Regular Recruits: How To Apply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.