Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,033 members, 7,818,047 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:59 AM

‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California - Foreign Affairs (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California (67019 Views)

4 Killed In California Shooting Spree / A Kenyan To Be Governor Of California: These Kenyans Na Waa Oh / The People Of California Have Banned Gay Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by Sagamite(m): 8:24pm On Sep 03, 2014
MrOrioye: So many rape cases ahead. I hope black musicians and celebrities use their senses in cali.

I think the law only applies on university campus at the moment.

If it was applicable generally, we will have a huge rise in false accusations against rich people.

Especially considering that in the US people can file civil suit for millions if someone else can be found guilty of hurting them.

Lap-dancers offering sex would become millionaires over-night.

1 Like

Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by Zekkmixes(f): 8:25pm On Sep 03, 2014
CFCfan:
She can agree by writing it out. The law says "affirmative, conscientious" consent. So if both parties sign a contract to mess themselves; in the law court that contract will be regarded as a valid 'yes' or consent.
Nawa oh. All these grammar because of konji grin
@bold grin grin grin
Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by Sixix: 8:26pm On Sep 03, 2014
Sagamite:

How can it be in the best interest of men?

By women having the liberty to create false accusations at their whim?

And if California is like the moronic sexist UK, she can make her false accusation with complete anonymity while his name is plastered in the papers and on the internet for eternity?

Consent would be clear cut for who?

Well, In law you can't just accuse someone, your accusations have to fulfil the conditions laid down by law. The law stipulates that she has to be 'affirmative, conscious, and voluntarily agree' . Before the court would agree with the defendant she has to be able to CONVINCE (beyond reasonable doubt) the court that she did not give consent as per the definition in the statutes and its legal interpretation, note that every tiny bit of info leading to the issue in dispute would be analysed.

The interpretation the writer gave the definition may (in my opinion 'will') not be used. Law can be interpreted in various ways. For instance the brief explanation of what would not count as affirmation and voluntary agreement did not include affirmation by positive reaction, it however stated that ' silence or a lack of resistance ' should not be counted as affirmation or voluntary agreement. The rest is left for the Judges to interpret as they deem fit.

The law has always been a double edged sword, welcome to life cheesy

2 Likes

Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by Sagamite(m): 8:29pm On Sep 03, 2014
patrickmuf: What if she says yes and goes on to deny? A very senseless law...

In the West, that does not matter when making laws as long as it is only men that are likely to suffer.

That is why the moronic UK also made a law where there is a ban against naming the person accusing raape, while the accused (which is virtually always a man) can be named and his face plastered all over the papers.

Guilty until proven innocent.

As long as it is only men it affects, .....................Fine!

And when he is found innocent, the women still keeps her anonymity. So it is basically freedom to make false allegations with impunity and have a weapon against men if you want to punish them.

Welcome to the West!

3 Likes

Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by deols(f): 8:34pm On Sep 03, 2014
Sagamite:

So they should sign a contract?

What part of that don't you understand?
Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by Sagamite(m): 8:34pm On Sep 03, 2014
Sixix:

Well, In law you can't just accuse someone, your accusations have to fulfil the conditions laid down by law. The law stipulates that she has to be 'affirmative, conscious, and voluntarily agree' . Before the court would agree with the defendant she has to be able to CONVINCE (beyond reasonable doubt) the court that she did not give consent as per the definition in the statutes and its legal interpretation, note that every tiny bit of info leading to the issue in dispute would be analysed.

The interpretation the writer gave the definition may (in my opinion 'will') not be used. Law can be interpreted in various ways. For instance the brief explanation of what would not count as affirmation and voluntary agreement did not include affirmation by positive reaction, it however stated that ' silence or a lack of resistance ' should not be counted as affirmation or voluntary agreement. The rest is left for the Judges to interpret as they deem fit.

The law has always been a double edged sword, welcome to life cheesy

First of all, from the reports heard so far, what you termed "voluntarily agree" means primarily she has to vocalise "Yes" hence the label "Yes means Yes".

Now we all know based on the process of sex with most women, that is a moronic requirement.

Secondly, how can a law make sense where it states "silence or a lack of resistance" cannot be regarded as consent, but instead raape?

Which person, in her right frame of mind, that is about to be "raaped" or about to have sex she does not want will remain silent or lack resistance without a weapon to her head?

1 Like

Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by Sixix: 8:36pm On Sep 03, 2014
Sagamite:

Will they both have to make sure their lawyers are present so that the lawyers can analyse the contract as genuine, valid and well written? grin grin grin grin grin grin

When you meet a girl and it seems action will take place tonight, ........call your lawyer first. grin grin grin grin

A purely daft law!

I can't stand fcktards. This is what we get when fcktards are allowed into the decision-making or policy-setting process.

UK legislators will never pass this kind of law, that is US for you, the only state you can make millions if the coffee you bought was too hot

And this law screams political pressure
Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by Sagamite(m): 8:39pm On Sep 03, 2014
deols:
What part of that don't you understand?

The part you think blurred lines is a synonym for contract.
Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by Sagamite(m): 8:40pm On Sep 03, 2014
Sixix:

UK legislators will never pass this kind of law, that is US for you, the only state you can make millions if the coffee you bought was too hot

And this law screams political pressure

You must be joking!

The sexist, Theresa May, will propose and sign this law in an instance.
Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by Sagamite(m): 8:43pm On Sep 03, 2014
all4naija: Wow! They should also extend this to young girls coerced into p o r n.

And hear the person think stupidity should spread!
Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by Zekkmixes(f): 8:48pm On Sep 03, 2014
all4naija: Wow! They should also extend this to young girls coerced into p o r n.
I agree.
Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by Sixix: 8:48pm On Sep 03, 2014
[quote author=Sagamite]

First of all, from the reports heard so far, what you termed "voluntarily agree" means primarily she has to vocalise "Yes" hence the label "Yes means Yes".

I partly agree with the interpretation of the bolded but you also have to interpret and define what silence is. And I believe that it would be given the ordinary interpretation.

I am yet to agree with the label Yes means Yes, from my own point of view the law is misconstrued. I will wait for the legal interpretation before making assumptions

Now we all know based on the process of sex with most women, that is a moronic requirement.

cheesy, say no to pre-marital sex tongue

Secondly, how can a law make sense where it states "silence or a lack of resistance" cannot be regarded as consent, but instead raape?

Which people, in their right frame of mind, that is about to be "raaped" or about to have sex she does not want will remain silence or lack resistance without a weapon to her head?

I agree, what do you expect from an American law undecided

1 Like

Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by Sixix: 8:50pm On Sep 03, 2014
Sagamite:

You must be joking!

The sexist, Theresa May, will propose and sign this law in an instance.

Yes she will, but she won't be able to sign it because they wont pass the bill.
Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by deols(f): 8:54pm On Sep 03, 2014
Sagamite:

The part you think blurred lines is a synonym for contract.

No. I didnt mean that blurred lines is a synonym for contract.

When Yes means Yes. The lines are clear and not blurred.

You can listen to Robbin Thicke's blurred lines to understand what I mean.
Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by Sagamite(m): 8:56pm On Sep 03, 2014
Sixix: I partly agree with the interpretation of the bolded but you also have to interpret and define what silence is. And I believe that it would be given the ordinary interpretation.

I am yet to agree with the label Yes means Yes, from my own point of view the law is misconstrued. I will wait for the legal interpretation before making assumptions

I don't think silence can be ambiguously interpreted when it comes to the use of vocal cords.

If they did not want to say it is raape if she did not explicitly state "yes" or something affirmative, then silence would not be in the law.

That is a catch them all phrase that ensures women have no responsibility except they choose to.

Typical.

Sixix: cheesy, say no to pre-marital sex tongue

angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

What kind of proposal is that?

Don't let me send my babalawo after you o.

Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by Sagamite(m): 8:58pm On Sep 03, 2014
deols:

No. I didnt mean that blurred lines is a synonym for contract.

When Yes means Yes. The lines are clear and not blurred.

You can listen to Robbin Thicke's blurred lines to understand what I mean.

And what I asked you was that:

So there is zero blurred lines.
Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by Evergreat2014(m): 9:02pm On Sep 03, 2014
caseless: consensual agreement btw both party.
Sexual cohesiveness btw the opposites.
They mean, sexual principle of reciprocity.
Infact, they mean no sexual militancy and insurgency.
They mean holo-sexual relativity.
I swear, they mean effusion of 'yeses'.
They are saying sexual desiderata . What the law preaches is romantic uniformitarianis. Infact, it encourages holo-hayalenal sexual acceptance. The law is frictional to rapemaniac, the law envices posterior and anterior compromise, they mean conspicous YES, as in, existentialistic YES is the case here. Like 'hemorhagic yes' is what they're talking about...Etc.
Hope u understand now.

Hmmmmm!
Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by deols(f): 9:07pm On Sep 03, 2014
Sagamite:

And what I asked you was that:

So there is zero blurred lines.

Structure your question better next time.

They actually should be married before it. So, Yes! A contract should be signed. cool
Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by cassyrooy(m): 9:12pm On Sep 03, 2014
Jesuspistol: Mheeeen...Carlifornia prostitutes are about to experience a BOOM in business!!
Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by cassyrooy(m): 9:12pm On Sep 03, 2014
Jesuspistol: Mheeeen...Carlifornia prostitutes are about to experience a BOOM in business!!
Bros na now e go worst, 'cos once they see any f*ckable dude they all need do is shout YES and bam! Pukunchi don done be th@t! Easy but harder to shag over @ CA.
Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by Sagamite(m): 9:21pm On Sep 03, 2014
deols:

Structure your question better next time.

They actually should be married before it. So, Yes! A contract should be signed. cool

Let me first pack the religious dogma.

I will take it a bit intellectual.

So you don't think a "No" (that is raape) can exist in marriage?
Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by deols(f): 9:23pm On Sep 03, 2014
Sagamite:

Let me first pack the religious dogma.

I will take it a bit intellectual.

So you don't think a "No" (that is raape) can exist in marriage?

Well,a Yes means Yes. There are no blurred lines and all of those should dogmatically come after marriage.

Now D!
Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by Sixix: 9:26pm On Sep 03, 2014
[quote author=Sagamite]

I don't think silence can be ambiguously interpreted when it comes to the use of vocal cords.

If they did not want to say it is raape if she did not explicitly state "yes" or something affirmative, then silence would not be in the law.

That is a catch them all phrase that ensures women have no responsibility except they choose to.

Typical.

She may not say anything but if the guy touches her in a her sexual manner and she responded in a like manner, that is explicit consent...I don't believe they will make that type of law angry

'effectively requires the presence of a “yes” rather than the absence of a “no”

I won't interpret it as a oral no or yes

The law’s defenders, such as feminist writer Amanda Hess, dismiss as hyperbole claims that it would turn people into unwitting rapists every time they have sex without obtaining an explicit “yes” (or, better yet, a notarized signature) from their partner. Hess points out that consent can include nonverbal cues such as body language.

The bolded is my interpretation however

Yet even after those revisions, one of the bill’s co-authors, Democratic Assemblywoman Bonnie Lowenthal, told the San Gabriel Valley Tribune that the affirmative consent standard means a person “must say ‘yes.

Well, this is crazy shocked.

http://time.com/3222176/campus-rape-the-problem-with-yes-means-yes/

Just like the paper said, the law is ridiculed with ambiguity, I will wait for the legal interpretation from the court because the above interpretation is too illogical to follow (putting human behaviour into consideration)

angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

What kind of proposal is that?

Don't let me send my babalawo after you o.

To be on the safer side of course

1 Like

Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by Sagamite(m): 9:38pm On Sep 03, 2014
Sixix: She may not say anything but if the guy touches her in a her intimate manner and she responded in a like manner, that is explicit consent...I don't believe they will make that type of law

Nope.

That is not consent. That is "silence" or "lack of resistance"!

Do you know what "silence" or "lack of resistance" is under this extremely moronic law?

RAAPE!

That is how STUUUUUUPID the law is. The people that came up with it are fcktards!

Sixix: I won't interpret it as a oral no or yes

Once they say "silence" or "lack of resistance" is not a sign of consent, then you HAVE to interpret it as oral "Yes" or "No".

Otherwise you are saying deol's philosophy of elimination of blurred lines is wrong.

Sixix: The bolded is my interpretation however

Amanda Hess is a man-hating person that is trying to deceive people.

If the law says "silence" or "lack of resistance" is not consent, then except a woman explicitly tells you "Yes", nonverbal cues such as body language are just "silence" or "lack of resistance".

Do you know what "silence" or "lack of resistance" is under this extremely moronic law?

RAAPE!

Sixix: Well, this is crazy

One of the fcktards has explicitly told you what they meant with the law they created.

Sixix: Just like the paper said, the law is ridiculed with ambiguity, I will wait for the legal interpretation from the court because the above interpretation is too illogical to follow (putting human behaviour into consideration)

The minute I read it, I knew it was written by fcktards.

So, yes, it is illogical.

Fcktards don't understand logic.

Sixix: To be on the safer side of course

Some people are not interested in marriage, so what should they do?

They should never have sex?

What safe side can they be in?
Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by Sagamite(m): 9:43pm On Sep 03, 2014
deols:

Well,a Yes means Yes. There are no blurred lines and all of those should dogmatically come after marriage.

Now D!

So you admit marriage is not a panacea?

Neither does it give any justification that this law is not stuuupid?

Now secondly, if people do not have your religious beliefs and dogma, they should not be allowed to have sex?
Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by deols(f): 9:50pm On Sep 03, 2014
Sagamite:

So you admit marriage is not a panacea?

Neither does it give any justification that this law is not stuuupid?

Now secondly, if people do not have your religious beliefs and dogma, they should not be allowed to have sex?

The law does not say they should not have sex. It says they should seek her consent. I think the law is OK. So many people taking advantage of some girls' naivety wont av an excuse.

Once you agree to marriage, you have agreed to sex. Your partnee has as much right over your body as you have over theirs. This law cant hold in marriage.

In marriage, the possible law would be, No means no. And silence and lack of resiatance, no.
Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by Nobody: 9:52pm On Sep 03, 2014
deols:

The law does not say they should not have sex. It says they should seek her consent. I think the law is OK. So many people taking advantage of some girls' naivete wont av an excuse.

Once you agree to marriage, you have agreed to sex. Your partnee has as much right over your body as you have over theirs. This law cant hold in marriage.

In marriage, the possible law would be, No means no. And silence and lack of resiatance, no.

As at now, the law only applies to university students.
Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by deols(f): 9:54pm On Sep 03, 2014
CFCfan:
As at now, the law only applies to university students.

Then, the consent should be sought, thouroughly so.
Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by Nobody: 10:00pm On Sep 03, 2014
deols:

Then, the consent should be sought, thouroughly so.
Yeah
But the ambiguity could arise if a student from a private university doesn't get an oral consent from another student of a California state-funded school. And they both have intimacy outside a public university.
The male student from the private school could claim that he is not bound by this latest law, since he isn't from a state-funded school.
Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by deols(f): 10:30pm On Sep 03, 2014
CFCfan:
Yeah
But the ambiguity could arise if a student from a private university doesn't get an oral consent from another student of a California state-funded school. And they both have intimacy outside a public university.
The male student from the private school could claim that he is not bound by this latest law, since he isn't from a state-funded school.

I am more interested in the idea behind the law than its practicality at the moment. Soon, it will be passed by other Universities, States and possibly, Countries.

It makes sense that only mature people who can consent to or demand for sex, have it.
Re: ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California by Sagamite(m): 10:38pm On Sep 03, 2014
deols:

The law does not say they should not have sex. It says they should seek her consent. I think the law is OK. So many people taking advantage of some girls' naivety wont av an excuse.

No, the law did not say they should seek her consent.

The law said they should take responsibility that she says "Yes".

She has no responsibility. She does not even have to tell them she does not want to have sex.

That is a pure moronic law!

Don't give me that tosh about "naivety".

Are they kids? Or you are publicly admitting now that women are dumb and inferior intellectually?

Or what makes a girl of 18 too moronic that she needs special protection from a boy of 18 because of her "naivety"? She should be regarded as reetarded due to her gender?

deols:

Maybe in Saudi Arabia.

In the West, you do not live under Islamic law.

Your partner does not own your body or have rights to it except with situational consent. IF you say no and he goes ahead, then it is raape.

I still wait for the second question:

Are you saying if people do not have your religious beliefs and dogma, hence not interested in marriage, they should not be allowed to have sex?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply)

Putin Launches World's Longest 70 km Underground Rail Line In Russia (Photos) / Biggest US Navy War Games In 40 Years To Prepare For WW3( Pics) / This Is What The World's Biggest Nuclear Bomb Explosion Looks Like (Video, Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.