Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,368 members, 7,815,786 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:22 PM

FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” - Agriculture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” (45199 Views)

EU Ban On Nigerian Food Exports / FG Plans To Ban Fertiliser Importation / FG Set To End Importation Of Processed Tomato Paste (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by MizMyColi(f): 3:29am On Sep 10, 2014
tuhorns:
Meat with no nutrition? That's unhealthy if you ask me.
Also, Nigeria stands chance of exporting some goods but Oil.
This is a nice initiative if you ask me. Moreover, leather exportation rewards the livestock farmer more financially than processing and sale of ponmon.

If finally this initiative is implemented and livestock(ponmon) farmers/exporters start earning huge Dollars and cool cash. I see ranch owners showing up pretty quick.
Ranch owning/farming will be hot cake then.
Okay, noted.
Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by nagoma(m): 6:08am On Sep 10, 2014
chizobad1: i no want leather! Na by force?! D ponmo go turn to leather 4 my belle. Make govt just collect my the physics from my nyansh dry am. Thnk u.

You would rather have this craftwork in your stomach? African tribes are funny grin

(Kano leather works)

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by Nobody: 6:29am On Sep 10, 2014
BIG MYTH that pomo has no nutritional value.

Asides protein, cow hide has significant amounts of Vitamin D.

1 Like

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by Nobody: 6:30am On Sep 10, 2014
nagoma:

You would rather have this craftwork in your stomach? African tribes are funny grin

(Kano leather works)

You would be surprised about how many cultures worldwide eat animal hide (pomo).

In the US, Pork Rinds are a very popular snack and are made of pig's skin:

1 Like

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by Nobody: 6:34am On Sep 10, 2014
Mexican version of pomo (cow and pig skin) - also called chicharron:

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by Shollay20(m): 6:35am On Sep 10, 2014
Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by Fulaman198(m): 6:49am On Sep 10, 2014
chulla12: BIG MYTH that pomo has no nutritional value.

Asides protein, cow hide has significant amounts of Vitamin D.

Why eat a cows hide when it can be used for much more productive things?
Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by Nobody: 7:47am On Sep 10, 2014
CFCfan:
cheesy cheesy GEJ wan put sand inside country man garri
these people have the right to chopping kpomo he cannot take that away from them
Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by IYANGBALI: 7:56am On Sep 10, 2014
My senator man friend no go like this news at all,the man like ponmo including my own ponmo no be small
Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by lharmberry(m): 8:13am On Sep 10, 2014
So of all the problems confronting us a Nation
Banning of hides and Skin is on the topmost agenda of the Minister of Agriculture...
******Patiently Musing*************
Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by buoye1(m): 8:29am On Sep 10, 2014
May dem no try me oh!!hw i wan dey cook my efo riro?

1 Like

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by rareman(m): 8:30am On Sep 10, 2014
Simple economic will suffice here "the higher the demand for PONMO either for consumption or for leather the higher the value added both in dollars and naira" both can still go hand in hand, that will also encourage more farmers to go into cattle rearing

1 Like

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by Nobody: 8:45am On Sep 10, 2014
Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by Nobody: 8:46am On Sep 10, 2014
Mondisweets: these people have the right to chopping kpomo he cannot take that away from them

https://www.nairaland.com/1896004/join-kponmo-lovers-association-a.k.a
Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by Wealthyegg(f): 9:12am On Sep 10, 2014
Obiagelli: Heard this 2yrs ago. Ban the damn thing already. We should be producing and exporting leather instead of eating kpomo that has been smoked with burning tyres.
siSter.... i hail oooo.. u no well... asif no be ponmo u go order for if u go canteen go chop tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue grin
Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by segjosh(m): 9:18am On Sep 10, 2014
Repping the operation say no to PONMO consumption ban #teamponmounited#

1 Like

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by Decryptor(m): 9:35am On Sep 10, 2014
The skin (kponmo) of a female cow is harder than that of a male cow. That of the female is that one that takes ages to get soft until you pour sprite and potash into it. That is the one they are suppose to use for leather.
Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by Oluwasaeon(m): 10:35am On Sep 10, 2014
Why are we banning ponmo ? Ponmo never hurt anyone. Ponmo never embezzled. Ponmo never abducted schoolgirls. Ponmo never ran for president.

1 Like

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by generalissimo(m): 10:44am On Sep 10, 2014
If govt try am, na war dem dey find be dat oooo! Na by force to process am to leather

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by debbydee(f): 10:44am On Sep 10, 2014
I'm ready to go to jail for it

tie ti ba. tongue
Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by shady26(m): 10:58am On Sep 10, 2014
TrollMan: POMO is of No nutritional value, I don't know why peeps eat that “thing” to start with. A very healthy and agricultural move by the federal government.

angry angry

TMan.
Mr nutritionist whats your business with whether what we eat is nutritional or not since you are not paying for it.....abeg park joor angry angry angry.....POMO FOR LIFE tongue
Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by generalissimo(m): 10:58am On Sep 10, 2014
Fulaman198:

What productive things are u even talking about Mr hypocrite? U will be surprised that if the fed mugu or whatever, goes ahead to ban our beloved kpomo, it will be imported or better still smuggled into the country from the neighbouring countries by those who are more sensitive concerning its high demand and market values. Then, we'll now see whether u will replace most of ur fabrics with leather cos it is now produced in the country.
Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by Nobody: 11:17am On Sep 10, 2014
grin
Worksunlimited: This people arent nice.. E be like say this minister of agriculture never take iya calabar hot assorted meat peppersoup; with pomo doing breast stroke and backstroke insyd and lacing it with cold fresh palmwine wey dey foam proper before...

If he had.. He wouldnt have thought of this blunder of his..

*sipping my cold fresh palmwiine*
Guy you are so funny grin
Worksunlimited: This people arent nice.. E be like say this minister of agriculture never take iya calabar hot assorted meat peppersoup; with pomo doing breast stroke and backstroke insyd and lacing it with cold fresh palmwine wey dey foam proper before...

If he had.. He wouldnt have thought of this blunder of his..

*sipping my cold fresh palmwiine*
Guy you are so funny Lol
Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by Awoofawo(m): 11:28am On Sep 10, 2014
ChinDike:

Next time don't quote me, fool!

Look at him crying. LOL!

Go and learn how to construct correct sentences. Ode!

You are a fool and a waste to all your lineage! If indeed all Nigerian are dumb as you claimed in your first post that imply all your lineage are dumb!

Taking on you here will amount to an intellectual waste.

You got nothing on me cause you aren't up to it....

Run along boiboi mum is calling, it is time to take your medicine! I repeat you are Odè+Oponu ayeraye cool
Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by dayoungmoney1: 11:33am On Sep 10, 2014
sammieguze: just a joke am sure.

Just another avenue to spoke the poor people.

Is leather the only thing excitable in the country?

What has they done on the wide arrays of mineral resources lying fallow in the country?

Abeg abeg.... If na joke, make them stop am o.
English killer !!!
Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by hotwax: 11:44am On Sep 10, 2014
Stewpid illiterate politicians.

DOnt they know kpomo is safer that cancer causing red meats?
Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by Awoofawo(m): 11:46am On Sep 10, 2014
19naia: I miss Pomo Ooo! What kind of Economic ploy kills one market to make room for another? The real solution is to leave Pomo alone and put investments into Leather hides production and expanding the herd stocks of Nigeria to handle the leather demand... If the people truly demand leather, they will then shift their purchases to leather and see Pomo supply dwindle... Or a balance of the two Pomo and leather can coexist... This Banishment of Pomo thing is what small minds do, they wield power as in banning all kinds of things.. They don't wield intelligence to make both work out for even greater dollar yield in the general economy... Banning Pomo will destroy a market and lose jobs.. And when people hungry for Pomo come time to vote, politicians will wonder how Iya Rugbudu the Pomo seller who was put out of business and into poverty, got elected president by promising Pomo Dinners for all the nations people and also Oyinbo who come visit in Nigeria..

True talk jawe! They should let demand and supply force dictates the market and stop forcing their yeye silly policy on the mass, some people saying only the poor patronise pomo don't know what they are saying....

By the way during Abacha regime, one the Bamayi brothers attempted to do the same but failed. So this one can not stand cool

1 Like

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by Keky(m): 11:49am On Sep 10, 2014
We can go after ponmo but we can't go after Shekau and his goons. Well done.
Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by Nobody: 1:50pm On Sep 10, 2014
Fulaman198:

Depends on differing tastes. Americans tend to eat more of the pig skin but use cow skin for leather.

In Nigeria, can pig hide and other less eaten animals be made into significant quantities of leather? Even if not, there has to be a way to ration cow skin for eating vs leather instead of outright bans.

All I am saying is that government decisions should be in line with cultural tastes. In a way I'm not even sure that leather is so essential to clothing or the economy when Nigeria can also manufacture faux leather (as we see coming from china).
Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by Nobody: 2:44pm On Sep 10, 2014
chulla12:

Depends on differing tastes. Americans tend to eat more of the pig skin but use cow skin for leather.

In Nigeria, can pig hide and other less eaten animals be made into significant quantities of leather? Even if not, there has to be a way to ration cow skin for eating vs leather instead of outright bans.

All I am saying is that government decisions should be in line with cultural tastes. In a way I'm not even sure that leather is so essential to clothing or the economy when Nigeria can also manufacture faux leather (as we see coming from china).

Smh...! I smell burning animal skin in the air. Please, stop supporting bad practices.
Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by hotwax: 2:52pm On Sep 10, 2014
all4naija: Smh...! I smell burning animal skin in the air. Please, stop supporting bad practices.

Eating pomo is bad practice? Eating pig skin nko ?
Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by Elkewwty(f): 2:58pm On Sep 10, 2014
Afghanistan: Kai, elkewwty, bootybuttchic, wetin man go con dey chop like this na?

undecided undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

A Nigerian Farmer Displays His Harvested Cassava From His Farm, Hails Buhari / My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. / My Goat Gave Birth To A Premature Kid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.