Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:30 AM

Ebola Panic In Ife: OAU Student Quarantined, Confesses Contact With Enemuo - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Ebola Panic In Ife: OAU Student Quarantined, Confesses Contact With Enemuo (44390 Views)

Dr Enemuo's wife have Died of ebola in lagos / Breaking: Ebola Goes Out Of Control As 21 Quarantined In Enugu - Fg / Ebola: Lagos Govt Confirms 2 Contact With Dead Victim Had Fever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ebola Panic In Ife: OAU Student Quarantined, Confesses Contact With Enemuo by tclever: 9:00am On Sep 10, 2014
Fear gripped students, parents and staff of Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife on Tuesday over a report that a patient on admission at the OAU Health Centre was a suspected Ebola Virus Disease victim.

Though the management of the school initially denied the development but the Oyo State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Temitope Ilori, said the sick student had confessed having contact with the late Port Harcourt doctor, Iyke Enemuo, who died of the EVD after he secretly treated an infected ECOWAS diplomat, Olu-Ibukun Koye, in a hotel in the Rivers State capital.

The commissioner said the female student had been put in the isolation ward.

Ilori said, “I was told that a student of the OAU who had contact with the doctor who died of the Ebola virus in Port Harcourt walked into the health centre when she was sick.

“She was said to have told doctors at the health centre that she had contact with the Port Harcourt doctor and was put under surveillance but she said she tested negative that time.

“Now she returned to the OAU to continue with her studies and was sick. She was said to have walked to the health centre and told them everything about her contact with the doctor.

“Her blood sample has been taken for another test in Lagos and we are awaiting the result. We pray she is not positive but she has been isolated at the health centre.”

When one of our correspondents visited the hospital on Tuesday, it was observed that health officials were disinfecting the surroundings of the medical centre and more attention was paid to places where patients sit before being attended to.

It was also learnt that top officials of the hospital held an emergency meeting after testing the suspected patient, who was said to have been on admission in the hospital since Monday.

Before the confirmation by the commissioner, the Public Relations Officer of the Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospital Complex, Ile Ife, Mr. Olu Bello, had denied the report that a suspected Ebola virus patient had been admitted to the hospital.

Bello said he also heard that a student of the OAU, who returned from Port Harcourt, was down with the virus but he said the hospital did not have any case of Ebola.

“There is no case of Ebola at the OAUTHC. Nothing like that; I also heard something like that but such rumour has been causing unnecessary tension among the people but it is not true.”

When contacted, the Public Relations Officer of the university, Mr. Abiodun Olanrewaju, said the university would make its findings known to the public later Tuesday night.

“It is a suspicion; we don’t know yet. We will make our position on it known tonight. We are still working; we are in the office now,” he told one of our correspondents on the phone.

Olanrewaju later told The Punch that the ailing student had been moved to Lagos.

Though, medical officials in the hospital had denied that the said student tested positive to the Ebola virus, they confirmed that the Federal Government Emergency Ebola Team had been contacted.

One of the officials, who preferred not to be identified because he was not authorised to speak, said the suspected patient would be made to go through an intensive examination on Wednesday (today) by the EVD team from Lagos.

Another official claimed that the symptoms showed by the student “are not too different from fever”.

The official said, “A patient was brought to the health centre and due to the fact that she hails from Port Harcourt there were fears that it might be Ebola. We have carried out tests on the victim and found that she is suffering from a likely fever. Not satisfied, we pressed further by holding an emergency meeting which finished five minutes ago.”

When asked why the hospital was disinfecting its surroundings, another staff said, “We are only taking preventive measures. To be 100 per cent satisfied, we have sent a letter to the Ebola Emergency Team in Lagos and the team should arrive by tomorrow (today).”

To ensure calmness in the institution, the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Bamitale Omole, urged students to desist from spreading rumours about EVD.

He spoke during the 52nd matriculation ceremony for 5,608 newly-admitted students of OAU on Tuesday.

He said, “A current issue of concern to us as an institution, which is also related to the judicious use of the facilities in the halls of residence, is maintaining a high standard of personal hygiene to halt the spread of EVD. The virus, which is not airborne, spreads through bodily fluids such as blood, sweat, urine, saliva and vomit. We should all co-operate to halt the spread of this disease by arming ourselves with adequate information about the disease and avoid spreading false rumours that certainly can cause fear and panic.

“A committee of experts had been set up in the university and it will step up its sensitisation and enlightenment campaign about the symptoms, modes of transmission and preventive measures of the disease.”
Source http://www.osundefender.org/?p=185820

2 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ebola Panic In Ife: OAU Student Quarantined, Confesses Contact With Enemuo by codemarshal08(m): 11:20am On Sep 10, 2014
May God delivers us from this Deadly Virus o
Re: Ebola Panic In Ife: OAU Student Quarantined, Confesses Contact With Enemuo by BlackPeni5: 11:21am On Sep 10, 2014
Khaki don dey turn to leather...Its more dangerous when people hide this deadly disease.

1 Like

Re: Ebola Panic In Ife: OAU Student Quarantined, Confesses Contact With Enemuo by Bishop4bella(m): 11:21am On Sep 10, 2014
I heard it on camp yesterday. To my surprise Obafemi Awolowo Teaching Hospital Ile Ife called health centre not bring the patient to hospital because there is no equipment to treat the index and to control the spread.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ebola Panic In Ife: OAU Student Quarantined, Confesses Contact With Enemuo by Nobody: 11:21am On Sep 10, 2014
What! The said student had contact with course, level, school and room mates. With lover, church/mosque brothers/sisters. On the bus, used toilet, handled money etc... The scary part is that the people who had contact with the student will also have contact with others and the cycle continues.

So scary.

angry angry

They should bring the vaccines already.

4 Likes

Re: Ebola Panic In Ife: OAU Student Quarantined, Confesses Contact With Enemuo by sirjohnson(m): 11:21am On Sep 10, 2014
Still On Ebola. The British guy that has just been cured of Ebola wants to return to Sierra Leone to fight Ebola. Everyone including his mum is begging him not to go. Read it Here. After reading the story, you will agree with me that white people are just exceptional.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ebola Panic In Ife: OAU Student Quarantined, Confesses Contact With Enemuo by kunlesehan(m): 11:22am On Sep 10, 2014
News these days is becoming ebolic

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ebola Panic In Ife: OAU Student Quarantined, Confesses Contact With Enemuo by Gooci(m): 11:22am On Sep 10, 2014
since yesterdae, ds thin jst de make first page
tho the news seems true, bt my folks in oau still said na lie, even till this morning when i called them
Re: Ebola Panic In Ife: OAU Student Quarantined, Confesses Contact With Enemuo by extremelygolden: 11:22am On Sep 10, 2014
Her room mates, coursemates, family members and friends who have made any form of contact with her should also be mandated to go for test, otherwise, this ebola might likely spread faster than we thought.

May God save us from this noisome pestilence.
Re: Ebola Panic In Ife: OAU Student Quarantined, Confesses Contact With Enemuo by wisolf(m): 11:22am On Sep 10, 2014
I hope it remains negative
Re: Ebola Panic In Ife: OAU Student Quarantined, Confesses Contact With Enemuo by sirjohnson(m): 11:23am On Sep 10, 2014
kunlesehan: News these days is becoming ebolic

This english has instantaneously been installed in the oxford dictionary.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ebola Panic In Ife: OAU Student Quarantined, Confesses Contact With Enemuo by busky101(m): 11:23am On Sep 10, 2014
Just wondering what kinda contact she had with the late doctor, moreover was her parents aware of her migration to ph? Smh...

11 Likes

Re: Ebola Panic In Ife: OAU Student Quarantined, Confesses Contact With Enemuo by snadguy007(m): 11:23am On Sep 10, 2014
May God protect us. Amen
Re: Ebola Panic In Ife: OAU Student Quarantined, Confesses Contact With Enemuo by hardywaltz(m): 11:24am On Sep 10, 2014
which kin contact, hope say no be chuku chuku contact grin
University girls and waka waka
now the Doctor's wife that survived the Ebola will soon be faced with anoda dilemma.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ebola Panic In Ife: OAU Student Quarantined, Confesses Contact With Enemuo by SafetyFirst(m): 11:24am On Sep 10, 2014
I forsee the entrance of Ebola drug before the year runs out.

2 Likes

Re: Ebola Panic In Ife: OAU Student Quarantined, Confesses Contact With Enemuo by mbadinujiu(m): 11:24am On Sep 10, 2014
May God help her in Jesus name amen
Re: Ebola Panic In Ife: OAU Student Quarantined, Confesses Contact With Enemuo by Nobody: 11:24am On Sep 10, 2014
I'd pretend like i didnt read this
Bishop4bella: I heard it on camp yesterday

8 Likes

Re: Ebola Panic In Ife: OAU Student Quarantined, Confesses Contact With Enemuo by hernars(m): 11:25am On Sep 10, 2014
Chai ! I better warn CHIAMAN JIDEAMA
Re: Ebola Panic In Ife: OAU Student Quarantined, Confesses Contact With Enemuo by Nobody: 11:26am On Sep 10, 2014
May God the Almighty save us all from this evil!
Re: Ebola Panic In Ife: OAU Student Quarantined, Confesses Contact With Enemuo by JerryJJZ(m): 11:26am On Sep 10, 2014
OAU!!! Ebola!!! Jesus Kristi,,,,,, When I thought this deadly disease is going low, it is now in our campus,,,, May God help us o,,,, I just hope this didnt delay the resumption of our students again.
Re: Ebola Panic In Ife: OAU Student Quarantined, Confesses Contact With Enemuo by Nobody: 11:26am On Sep 10, 2014
Her parents sent her to school to go and read and make a future for herself. Not go and have *contact*with doctors. By the way,how did she teleport from Ife to PH? Biatch. Mtchew undecided

Warning:if you quote me and type nonsense,you will run mad. angry

2 Likes

Re: Ebola Panic In Ife: OAU Student Quarantined, Confesses Contact With Enemuo by ogashman(m): 11:26am On Sep 10, 2014
Abeg make d result be negative ooo!

1 Like

Re: Ebola Panic In Ife: OAU Student Quarantined, Confesses Contact With Enemuo by Gidihub: 11:26am On Sep 10, 2014
ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ebola Panic In Ife: OAU Student Quarantined, Confesses Contact With Enemuo by Iniotong(m): 11:27am On Sep 10, 2014
It's really getting scary these days..... good thing is she has admitted getting in contact with the said doctor

1 Like

Re: Ebola Panic In Ife: OAU Student Quarantined, Confesses Contact With Enemuo by ichidodo: 11:27am On Sep 10, 2014
You don't know how much i missed been here...
Re: Ebola Panic In Ife: OAU Student Quarantined, Confesses Contact With Enemuo by hernars(m): 11:27am On Sep 10, 2014
jossi994: What sort of contact? How did she teleport from Ife to PH? Runs girl. Mtchew undecided
next time plz use ur brain

2 Likes

Re: Ebola Panic In Ife: OAU Student Quarantined, Confesses Contact With Enemuo by johnstar(m): 11:27am On Sep 10, 2014
e don red... choi, ife is nt save anymore, I 1der ow many ppl, expecially guys go don hug or touch dis babe, make I park my bag run comot 4 ife first

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Everything You Need To Know About Sore Throat + Basic Home Treatment / Abdulwahab Mohammad, Judge Slumps, Dies After A Tooth Removal Procedure (Photos) / Nigerian Man Slumps, Dies In Malaysia (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.