Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,614 members, 7,816,521 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:34 PM

Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students - Education (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students (60042 Views)

Sad! Lecture Room 184 At The University of Jos.(pic) / Are Science Students Really More Intelligent Than Art Students? / Polytechnics Barred From Admitting Business, Art Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by tuwayz(m): 5:16pm On Oct 09, 2014
Please can somebody help me out on this? Find x, 8x^-2=2/25
Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by tuwayz(m): 5:18pm On Oct 09, 2014
Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by mathefaro(m): 7:12pm On Oct 09, 2014
tuwayz:
8x-2 = 2/25 (Note that the power(-2) is meant for x alone since there's no bracket)
==> 8/x2 = 2/25
So by cross multiplication,
==> 2x2 = 25*8
==> 2x2 = 200
Divide both sides by 2
==>x2 = 100
Find the square root of both sides
==> x = 10

1 Like

Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by tuwayz(m): 7:47pm On Oct 09, 2014
mathefaro:

8x-2 = 2/25 (Note that the power(-2) is meant for x alone since there's no bracket)
==> 8/x2 = 2/25
So by cross multiplication,
==> 2x2 = 25*8
==> 2x2 = 200
Divide both sides by 2
==>x2 = 100
Find the square root of both sides
==> x = 10
. Thanks bro, I was kind of confuse on how to go about It, I took the reciprocal of the left hand side because of the negative power but got it wrong, thanks a lot
Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by mathefaro(m): 7:49pm On Oct 09, 2014
tuwayz:
. Thanks bro, I was kind of confuse on how to go about It, I took the reciprocal of the left hand side because of the negative power but got it wrong, thanks a lot
you're welcome
Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by mathefaro(m): 7:50pm On Oct 09, 2014
Benjaminbest:
displaying corrupted file on my fone
ok, download directly from here

http://campusportal.com.ng/files/JAMB-Syllabus/Biology.pdf
Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by smartdave1: 2:17am On Oct 10, 2014
Good morning roomie... Sir Benjaminbest, Sir mathefaro and/or any one in the hux pls help me solve these physics questions:

A car moves with a velocity of 72 km/hr. It is brought to rest in 10 s. Find:
(i) the velocity in m/s
(ii) the retardation

The sped of a bus increases uniformly from 15m/s to 60m/s in 20 seconds. Calculate:
(a) the average speed
(b) the acceleration
(c) the distance travelled during the entire period.

*abstracted from New School Physics textbook*

Many thanks!
Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by smartdave1: 2:22am On Oct 10, 2014
A body of mass 25kg, moving at 3m/s on a rough horizontal floor is brought to rest after sliding through a distance of 2.5m on the floor. Calculate the coefficient of sliding friction [g=10.0m/s^2)
Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by Benjaminbest(m): 7:20am On Oct 10, 2014
alryt still wondering were to start from
Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by Benjaminbest(m): 9:21am On Oct 10, 2014
pls because of d little time dat i have i will not b able to write everytin out i wil jst drop d answers later
Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by Segipaul: 11:11am On Oct 10, 2014
smartdave1:
A body of mass 25kg, moving at 3m/s on a rough horizontal floor is brought to rest after sliding through a distance of 2.5m on the floor. Calculate the coefficient of sliding friction [g=10.0m/s^2)
S=2.5m m=25kg v=3m/s but F X S=1/2mv^2.
1/2 x 25 x (3)^2 =112.5
F X 2.5=112.5 F=112.5/2.5=45N
u=F/mg =45/25 x10 =45/250
u=0.18
Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by Segipaul: 11:34am On Oct 10, 2014
smartdave1:
Good morning roomie... Sir Benjaminbest, Sir mathefaro and/or any one in the hux pls help me solve these physics questions:

A car moves with a velocity of 72 km/hr. It is brought to rest in 10 s. Find:
(i) the velocity in m/s
(ii) the retardation

1a.to convert km/hr to m/s multiply by 10/36.
72 X10/36 =20m/s....daz d velocity
1b. V=u-at but v=0 0=20-10a 10a=20. a=2m/s
Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by Segipaul: 11:54am On Oct 10, 2014
smartdave1:

The sped of a bus increases uniformly from 15m/s to 60m/s in 20 seconds. Calculate:
(a) the average speed
(b) the acceleration
(c) the distance travelled during the entire period.

*abstracted from New School Physics textbook*

Many thanks!
permit me to find acceleration ist
v=u+at, v=60m/s u=15m/s a=? t=20sec
60=15+20a, 45=20a, a=2.25m/s^2
c. Distance travelled: S= Ut+1/2at^2
S=15 X20 + 1/2 X 2.25 X (20)^2
S=300+450
S=750m....daz distance travelled
a. The average speed =distance/time taken
A.v=750/20
A.V=37.5m/s
Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by mathefaro(m): 1:28pm On Oct 10, 2014
Segipaul:
S=300+450
A.v=750/20
A.V=37.5m/s
Thanks for filling in for me, i've been busy since mawnin
Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by mathefaro(m): 1:33pm On Oct 10, 2014
Segipaul:
S=300+450
A.v=750/20
A.V=37.5m/s
Although, you can also get the average speed by using the formula (v + u)/2, it will save more time

NB: There's a difference between knowing the solution to a question and knowing the fastest method to use. so please always look for the fastest method. Also, i'll advice you guys to start practicing questions with timing
Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by Benjaminbest(m): 3:04pm On Oct 10, 2014
heys guys how are u all have being very busy since mawnin even till now am still in my working place wen am suppose to b at home. Oga mathefaro i tried accesing d site dat u pasted but i was unable to download it
Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by Nobody: 9:56pm On Oct 10, 2014
Someone should pls explain with examples addition, subtraction, multiplication & division of number bases. thanks
tag: mathefaro, benjaminbest and everyone else.
Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by Thewhizzkid1(m): 11:05pm On Oct 10, 2014
deb6:
Someone should pls explain with examples addition, subtraction, multiplication & division of number bases. thanks
tag: mathefaro, benjaminbest and everyone else.
Let's start with base 10...
(I) 15 +15=30 (ii) 16+16=32
Normally, we start calculating from d right hand side..Dat is for (i), 5+5=10, we write down "0" carry "1"..Then we move to d left hand side...1+1=2, we then add that "1" we carried from "10" to the "2" making it "3"..So we write down "3"...Hence we have 30 as d final answer....This is d general method we use in solving right? It looks very simple and easy cos we are adding in base 10...This is d base we use in everyday life...But when adding in other bases, we try to apply this method but we look very confused...Now this is because we didn't understand d process "mathematically"...Now this is d explanation..Let's start afresh..
As usual, we start from d right hand side...5+5=10...Since 5+5 is 10, 10 cannot be written in the answer space as it is equal to its base..If it was to be 5+4 = 9 , then we can write d 9 in d answer space cos it's not equal to d base(base 10)
I hope u understand dix...So what we have to do now is divide 10(from 5+5) by 10 (which is d base)...We now have "1" remainder "0"...We write down d remainder "0" and "carry" d one...Then we move on to d left hand side...1+1=2 (+1 we carried) =3..We can write dix 3 in d answer space since it's not equal to or greater than d base(10)..Hence we have our final answer as 30..This same rule applies to any other base...It. can be used for addition, subtraction and multiplication....I haven't tried it for division b4...
I know my explanation looks vague...U will need a solid background knowledge of number bases b4 u will be able to understand dix explanation clearly...I would have given other examples using other bases but m tired of typing....Pls pardon me...U will understand it better if u get someone to explain to u "one on one".
Let me leave d rest to the ogas@mathefaro and Benjaminbest for them to correct any mistakes and add to it also....

1 Like

Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by agafiya: 11:11pm On Oct 10, 2014
In a D.C. circuit, a 10microfarad(mf) capacitor is placed in series with a 10 ohm resistor. The total resistance of the combination is:
A. 10 ohms
B. 1 ohm
C. zero
D. 20 ohms
E. infinite
Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by smartdave1: 2:35am On Oct 11, 2014
Segipaul:
Thank you boss! You are really on point.
Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by smartdave1: 2:43am On Oct 11, 2014
mathefaro:
Although, you can also get the average speed by using the formula (v + u)/2, it will save more time
Thanks anyways, i think the bolded is a typographical error.
Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by mathefaro(m): 4:03am On Oct 11, 2014
smartdave1:

Thanks anyways, i think the bolded is a typographical error.
it isn't an error. It's actually the correct formula for average velocity. Use it in the question you posted earlier and compare the answer with the one you were given
Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by Benjaminbest(m): 7:00am On Oct 11, 2014
Thewhizzkid1:

Let's start with base 10...
(I) 15 +15=30 (ii) 16+16=32
Normally, we start calculating from d right hand side..Dat is for (i), 5+5=10, we write down "0" carry "1"..Then we move to d left hand side...1+1=2, we then add that "1" we carried from "10" to the "2" making it "3"..So we write down "3"...Hence we have 30 as d final answer....This is d general method we use in solving right? It looks very simple and easy cos we are adding in base 10...This is d base we use in everyday life...But when adding in other bases, we try to apply this method but we look very confused...Now this is because we didn't understand d process "mathematically"...Now this is d explanation..Let's start afresh..
As usual, we start from d right hand side...5+5=10...Since 5+5 is 10, 10 cannot be written in the answer space as it is equal to its base..If it was to be 5+4 = 9 , then we can write d 9 in d answer space cos it's not equal to d base(base 10)
I hope u understand dix...So what we have to do now is divide 10(from 5+5) by 10 (which is d base)...We now have "1" remainder "0"...We write down d remainder "0" and "carry" d one...Then we move on to d left hand side...1+1=2 (+1 we carried) =3..We can write dix 3 in d answer space since it's not equal to or greater than d base(10)..Hence we have our final answer as 30..This same rule applies to any other base...It. can be used for addition, subtraction and multiplication....I haven't tried it for division b4...
I know my explanation looks vague...U will need a solid background knowledge of number bases b4 u will be able to understand dix explanation clearly...I would have given other examples using other bases but m tired of typing....Pls pardon me...U will understand it better if u get someone to explain to u "one on one".
Let me leave d rest to the ogas@mathefaro and Benjaminbest for them to correct any mistakes and add to it also....
hope u have being admitted to study medicine and surgery in uniben
Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by DEGREE2466(m): 7:14am On Oct 11, 2014
Umartins1:

Guy, I didn't want to comment at first but I couldn't hold on to the frustration.

I is NEVER plural, it is rather a singular pronoun. In fact, it is a first person singular pronoun and therefore attracts a singular verb such as am, was etc.

Where did you school? It is quite absurd seeing that you can't differentiate between HAS and HAVE. HAS is a present tense, singular- it is the opposite of HAD. HAVE on the other hand is the past tense of both HAS and HAD.

NB: there are exceptions to the rule of concord though, as illustrated in the example you gave.

na night school you go?

Has is singular of Have

Had is the past tense of both Has and Have.

I is first person pronoun.
Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by Thewhizzkid1(m): 7:18am On Oct 11, 2014
Benjaminbest:
hope u have being admitted to study medicine and surgery in uniben
I've been admitted for medicine and surgery but in AAU...
Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by Nobody: 7:23am On Oct 11, 2014
Thanks @thewhizzkid1, i now understand
Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by Benjaminbest(m): 7:28am On Oct 11, 2014
guy will nid to talk i thought is uniiben dat admitted u pm me on my gmail
Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by Thewhizzkid1(m): 7:39am On Oct 11, 2014
deb6:
Thanks @thewhizzkid1, i now understand
Please try it with other bases and give me feedback...
Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by Thewhizzkid1(m): 7:48am On Oct 11, 2014
Benjaminbest:
guy will nid to talk i thought is uniiben dat admitted u pm me on my gmail
I've sent one..
Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by smartdave1: 7:51am On Oct 11, 2014
mathefaro:
it isn't an error. It's actually the correct formula for average velocity. Use it in the question you posted earlier and compare the answer with the one you were given
its alright, i'll do it later
Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by smartdave1: 8:18am On Oct 11, 2014
mathefaro:
ya! Its true... But, pls make me understand how you got the formula, since there is no '2' in the question.
Thanks
Re: Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students by Nobody: 8:41am On Oct 11, 2014
Thewhizzkid1:

Please try it with other bases and give me feedback...
I did this one: 321*25 in base six = 13305six. pls check if i'm right

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (27) (Reply)

Daughter Faked Studying Medicine At Oxford Uni To Con Penniless Mum (Pics) / Faith Omodon, Missing Delta Student 'Spotted In Her Boyfriend’s Residence' / Covenant University Is The Best In Nigeria-pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.