Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,426 members, 7,815,961 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:13 PM

Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us (11848 Views)

What Is The Most Hurtful Thing Yr Parents Told You Out Of Anger? / Things My Parents Told Me / Lies Our Parents Told Us! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by newguy1(m): 6:39am On Sep 15, 2014
My is alway about d amimal kingdom, in refrence to d cunningness of d tortoise.
Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by KelvinGraphics(m): 6:47am On Sep 15, 2014
UjSizzle: Hian. I was an English speaking child, and my grandparents were Igbo speaking folks. Neither of us could understand the other undecided
Unless ofcourse you consider 'bia' and 'kedu' fairytales tongue

Ok. I remember one Christmas when we visited the village. I was sitting at the backyard with my grandma and she kept talking and talking and talking; me i was in siddon look mode.
Then my aunt came out and asked her what she was doing and she said, "I'm just talking to Uju". The woman laughed eh, "How can you be talking to someone who doesn't know what you're saying" grin

Anyway I learnt Igbo by force, but the woman was dead before I could have an actual conversation with her. God rest her soul sad
Amen!
wink
Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by kevoh(m): 7:05am On Sep 15, 2014
Abeg where can one get a compilation of these stories especially Benin (Edo) and Yoruba stories. Only remember a handful of them and won't want to deny my kids the same joy I received when being told these stories. Too much Oyibo cartoon network no good for our pikin dem!
Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by Caracta(f): 7:24am On Sep 15, 2014
My grandmother doesn't even know me and my grandfather died before I was born.

Fairly tales I heard was told by my elder brother. He told me tales as we gazed at the moon, especially about the tortoise and a certain rich man. We would count the stars and name the ones we counted. I mean real names like Richard, Bimpe, Kenny, Emeka, etc. The next night, we would shout In excitement and go, "Bimpe! Bimpe!! Bimpe!!!" and wave like there was no tomorrow.

But really, what were we thinking?
Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by ochon: 7:31am On Sep 15, 2014
chr1s:
topic was fairy tales our grand parents told us....not stories abt ur grand parents
Buwahahahahahahahah gringringrin
Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by elopee3000(m): 7:43am On Sep 15, 2014
My parent told me how oduduwa fail down from sky with parachute grin grin grin grin cheesy
Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by Atmmachine(m): 8:18am On Sep 15, 2014
My grandfather can lie from morning till night grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by Yemisi63: 8:29am On Sep 15, 2014
Lmfaooooooooooo. Guys, If you're having a bad day, read this post http://naijasinglegirl.net/cut-thy-coat-according-to-thy-size-2/ and thank me later
Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by WoodcrestMayor(m): 8:42am On Sep 15, 2014
I miss those dayscry cry cry...stories were from my mum tho.

Most centred on Ijapa and Yanibo.
Asin(Mole) and Okere(Squirel)
Erin(Elephant dat was made to sit on a well)
Obo(money) and Kiniun(Lion)
Ijapa(Tortoise) and Sigidi(Sticky effigy)

These stories are best told in Yoruba Language-save for few.I tried telling dat of the Lion and Monkey to my cousins who came from obodo oyinbo and they were just starring at me.Couldn't get them to laff.

Indomie has spoilt everytin nau sad...smh
I dey look for book wey get compilation of these stories abeg.Gimme info if u know anyone.
Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by WoodcrestMayor(m): 8:44am On Sep 15, 2014
I swrcheesy...I dey find am too
kevoh: Abeg where can one get a compilation of these stories especially Benin (Edo) and Yoruba stories. Only remember a handful of them and won't want to deny my kids the same joy I received when being told these stories. Too much Oyibo cartoon network no good for our pikin dem!
Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by Nobody: 8:51am On Sep 15, 2014
adonbilivit: fairy tales are often told to amuse children and i know our grandparents tell us lots of them. some could be scary, some funny while some are just not imaginable. please share the fary tales your grandparents told as a kid
They never told me any sad.
Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by Nobody: 8:55am On Sep 15, 2014
Atmmachine: My grandfather can lie from morning till night grin grin grin
lmao! Sure,old folks lie. grin
Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by Olyboy16(m): 9:07am On Sep 15, 2014
Stories for the Gods...bt criously...i had an extreme-polictian for a grandad And believe me...i always avoid being left alone with him...
Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by kenex4ever(m): 9:23am On Sep 15, 2014
Ok let's start.
If I say piom piom, u guys will say kpara numa!!

Piom piom
Kparanuma
Piom piom piom piom, kparanuma
Piokuru ede, kparanuma
Ede ana eri eri, kparanuma
Msi ya, kparanuma
Onye akala ogiri, kparanuma
Onye igbirigbi mmor, kparanuma. Am tireeeed
Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by VivyGift(f): 9:25am On Sep 15, 2014
safarigirl: Wasn't close with my grandparents. Paternal grandparents died before I turned 3, my maternal grandma had a stroke when I was born so she couldn't talk and grandpa was mostly in church.

Got no stories from em. Got a lotta tortoise stories from my parents though, but mostly songs. There was this one in Igbo:

Ochicha n'oke no n'ime motor
Oke bu driver
Ochicha bulu passenger ne se cigar (sneeze)

Translation:
A cockroach and a rat were in a car
The rat was the driver
The cockroach picked a passenger smoking cigarette. (Sneeze)

Dunno if anyone else is familiar with the song
Yeah! I'm familiar with the song. Sometimes, my siblings and I sing it at home whenever we remember the good old days... But ours is sang like this:

Oke n'ochichana no n'ime motor
Oke bu driver
Ochichana na ni me motor we pu cigar fiaamm

2 Likes

Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by Mexzy88(m): 9:48am On Sep 15, 2014
Madam koi koi. scarrry as hell.
Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by lawrenceunaa: 10:11am On Sep 15, 2014
adonbilivit: fairy tales are often told to amuse children and i know our grandparents tell us lots of them. some could be scary, some funny while some are just not imaginable. please share the fary tales your grandparents told as a kid
shey u no get grandparents, why don't u post urs b4 requesting for ours.
Next tym don't open a thread and 'leave'
Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by adonbilivit: 10:17am On Sep 15, 2014
lawrenceunaa: shey u no get grandparents, why don't u post urs b4 requesting for ours.
Next tym don't open a thread and 'leave'
my apologies bro...i had to take care of something. i'm back now to nurse the thread
Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by DopeAngel(m): 10:59am On Sep 15, 2014
safarigirl: Wasn't close with my grandparents. Paternal grandparents died before I turned 3, my maternal grandma had a stroke when I was born so she couldn't talk and grandpa was mostly in church.

Got no stories from em. Got a lotta tortoise stories from my parents though, but mostly songs. There was this one in Igbo:

Oke bu driver

Translation:
The rat was the driver

No we re not familiar with ur lies:/
Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by DopeAngel(m): 10:59am On Sep 15, 2014

Oke bu driver

Translation:
The rat was the driver

Dunno if anyone else is familiar with the lies
No we re not familiar with ur lies:/
Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by kennypoka2(m): 11:54am On Sep 15, 2014
This topic is meant to be a hit but i dont know why only few ppl are commenting and viewing..

And no one has said a good story since except few...

Common throw in some great tales here and not some history abt ya grandparents.. Girls especially be warned
Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by tochstorm(m): 3:07pm On Sep 15, 2014
My grand didn't tell me fairy tale..... But they told me a lot of folks tale.
Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by adesexy(m): 7:47pm On Sep 15, 2014

Oke bu driver

Translation:
The rat was the driver

...when is the burial ceremony,I would love to come!
Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by adesexy(m): 7:52pm On Sep 15, 2014
kenex4ever: Ok let's start.
If I say piom piom, u guys will say kpara numa!!

Piom piom
Kparanuma
Piom piom piom piom, kparanuma
Piokuru ede, kparanuma
Ede ana eri eri, kparanuma
Msi ya, kparanuma
Onye akala ogiri, kparanuma
Onye igbirigbi mmor, kparanuma. Am tireeeed
...every fellow on dis thread is above 10yrs,so b matured,no one is singing dah shit wit u...*LOLB*
Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by oluwanoni: 9:04pm On Sep 15, 2014
Omo Una no sabi

OLURONBI or The pumpkin girl..
Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by Haryoryhemie(f): 9:23pm On Sep 15, 2014
Concerning how tortoise broke his shell, I was told about 18 versions of that, 6 different stories on why pig grumbles, 4 reasons why lizards keeps nodding and d list goes on............
Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by Mchugh(m): 9:42pm On Sep 15, 2014
https://www.nairaland.com/1904566/research-use-emoticons-emoji...please-step

Nairaland Fam...pls click on the link and comment...please... Im researching on the use of emoticons... kiss
Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by Nmeri17: 1:20am On Sep 16, 2014
grandpa said to me BRO if you don't phOck pOOssy konji is gonna kill you, thunder will strike you and yo ancestors shall not receive you when u die angry angry
Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by tomiobj(m): 7:34am On Sep 16, 2014

oyinbonizing. you cant call the adventures of sango a fairytale
Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by Kbraims(m): 9:32am On Sep 16, 2014
Ijapa ati iyanibo,i wnt 4get dat tale
Re: Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us by Gynacologist(m): 12:21pm On Sep 16, 2014
bist:

Na who ask u abt ur life history?
e wan mk we feel remorse fo am nah

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Unconditional Love Practical In Marriage / Soldier Reunited With Mom After 30 Years (Thanks to google) ;D / Did You Have Sex With your Spouse Before Marriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.