Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,544 members, 7,819,934 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:03 AM

Any HSE Professionals In The House? - Career (59) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Any HSE Professionals In The House? (406742 Views)

Re: Hse Professionals / Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? / Hse Professionals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (113) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by jonnepapayo(m): 12:39pm On Jun 23, 2016
Please how do I acquire ISPON's student membership. I'm a 400level Chemical Engineering student, FUTMINNA
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Greatken007(m): 9:03pm On Jun 27, 2016
It is acquired after ur NYSC, you don't need to rush, General HSE... HSE competence Development Level 3... Membership, that is the sequence
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Boltam(f): 6:24am On Jun 28, 2016
please safety personels in the house i need a job as a a safety officer,i have done my general HSE and the level 3 from ispon.i dont mind even if it is a volounteer job just for me to gather expereince.thank you
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Boltam(f): 6:24am On Jun 28, 2016
please safety personels in the house i need a job as a a safety officer,i have done my general HSE and the level 3 from ispon.i dont mind even if it is a volunteer job just for me to gather expereince.thank you
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Nobody: 11:27pm On Jun 28, 2016
sasquareT:
hello Fellas I'm a serving corps member in Anambra pls where can I learn HSE and NEBOSH here in Anambra and how much does it cost and pls which one of the 2 professional courses can you advise a geology grad should to go for?

I just finished General and level 3 H.S.E last week sunday at Anambra. Their venue now is Amawbia by Adam & Eve bus-stop.
The number of their co-ordinator is on d ISPON website. Call him and make enquiries as to when they'd kick off d next session.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Nobody: 11:29pm On Jun 28, 2016
jonnepapayo:
Please how do I acquire ISPON's student membership.
I'm a 400level Chemical Engineering student, FUTMINNA
Just graduate first. U can do it during ur nysc.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by sasquareT(m): 10:46am On Jun 29, 2016
Wealthgang:

I just finished General and level 3 H.S.E last week sunday at Anambra. Their venue now is Amawbia by Adam & Eve bus-stop.
The number of their co-ordinator is on d ISPON website. Call him and make enquiries as to when they'd kick off d next session.
tnx bro.....pls how much does it cost? and is it possible to start from HSE 2 wothouth neccessarily doing HSE 1
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Nobody: 11:27am On Jun 29, 2016
sasquareT:

tnx bro.....pls how much does it cost? and is it possible to start from HSE 2 wothouth neccessarily doing HSE 1

Gen H.S.E is 45k while level 3 is 25k. U must do Gen H.S.E b4 level 3.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by temitopeking(m): 4:44pm On Jun 29, 2016
Boltam:
please safety personels in the house i need a job as a a safety officer,i have done my general HSE and the level 3 from ispon.i dont mind even if it is a volounteer job just for me to gather expereince.thank you

if u re in lagos, send me mail at micholatop@gmail.com, i will forward a company add to u, u will submit ur cv but they re not recruiting for now but hopefully soon coz im in there HSSE dept and we re pushing for more staffs.atleast i started with the same qualification u re holding 2 years ago.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Boltam(f): 5:28pm On Jun 29, 2016
temitopeking:

if u re in lagos, send me mail at micholatop@gmail.com, i will forward a company add to u, u will submit ur cv but they re not recruiting for now but hopefully soon coz im in there HSSE dept and we re pushing for more staffs.atleast i started with the same qualification u re holding 2 years ago.
thank you..mail sent
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by xxgig(m): 4:00pm On Jun 30, 2016
I AM REALLY HAPPY FOR THIS THREAD. GOING THROUGH ISPON SITE, I NOTICED THEY DONT HAVE ANY OFFICE HERE IN NASARAWA STATE, WHERE I AM CURRENTLY SERVING. WHICH MEANS I'LL TO DO IT SOME WHERE ELSE. SO I'LL TO KNOW, HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE RUN GHSE?
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Sprintson(m): 1:43pm On Jul 01, 2016
This thread is awesome. Please I hold a B.sc in Fisheries and Aquaculture and I supervise farms. I want to know where to start from during HSE. A). Must I do General Hse? B). Which level do I start from? C). Where is their office in Lagos.. Thanks people.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by mikeSPIRIT: 6:36pm On Jul 04, 2016
hello fellaz... i am a graduate of elect/elect engr and want to do HSE certification. pls is it beter to do General HSE or to do HSE 1,2,3. also, Novelle and ISPON centers seem to be the hottest cakes. which is the better of these two. I want to avoid getting a cert only to find out that it is not highly recognized.
thanks in advance for your help
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jul 04, 2016
mikeSPIRIT:
hello fellaz... i am a graduate of elect/elect engr and want to do HSE certification. pls is it beter to do General HSE or to do HSE 1,2,3. also, Novelle and ISPON centers seem to be the hottest cakes. which is the better of these two. I want to avoid getting a cert only to find out that it is not highly recognized.

U do General H.S.E b4 level 3.
In some centres they call General H.S.E level 1 and 2.

Its advisable to do with ISPON cos they're like Nigeria's own safety body with govt approval (just like ICAN is for accounting).
They also use Shell's modules for training and with ISPON ID card u can access any Shell facility.
Also, to be licensed as a safety practitioner, u have to be a member of ISPON. And for u to be a member, u MUST have done General n level 3 H.S.E under them. So even if u do it elsewhere u'll still come and start afresh from ISPON b4 u can get membership.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Gentleme1: 11:46pm On Jul 04, 2016
mikeSPIRIT:

Hi MikeSPIRIT,

Like I commented in an earlier post, there are lots of misleading posts and people should be careful how they make comments so we do not confuse people. For the records I did my training with Novelle in June,2014 and today I work with OGFZA (Oil and Gas free zone Onne) and I'll recommend them everywhere.

Here are few things you should know:

1. Novelle is a training company approved by centres like NEBOSH, BISO, ISPON, BPMA, PECB, IRCA, GTACS to offer professional training skills in Health and safety. Approvals like the above imply that such centres are big. We are talking about approvals that take as much as N3million and above to get.

2. When I did my training in Novelle, we were trained with UK and Nigeria curriculum which gives you an edge over others, because most companies in Nigeria operate with British Standards (otherwise known as BS Codes) and they respect and employ you when they know you have something bigger than the average safety practitioner in Nigeria. I dont wish to blow my whistle, but the training I got was one of the reason I easily bagged my appointment with OGFZA Onne.

3. ISPON even recognises Novelle as a training company. Any company recognised and approved by ISPON to training is big. Lets leave too much talk, simple!

4. It was during my training at Novelle Centre that I learnt that safety has six levels (Level 1, level 2, level 3, level 5, level 6, and level 8. . Level 1 gives you background knowledge in safety, level 2 is a practical level, you will be required by Novelle to do a site visit to pass this level, level 3 deals on first aid, fire safety and environmental management, level 5 is NEBOSH preliminary, level 6 is Nebosh IGC which is equivalent to OND according to scottish Vocational qualification and finally Level 8 is Nebosh diploma which is equivalent to BSc.

With a Nebosh diploma you can go on straight to do your masters in any UK university. Check for yourself: https://www.nebosh.org.uk/students/currently_studying/default.asp?cref=813&ct=2

All Novelle HSE courses and certificates are straight from United Kingdom and their HSE level 1-3 makes you eligible for Nebosh instantly. Finally, I have 2 friends working with Lagos state ministry of Environment with the UK HSE certificate from novelle, so my brother shine your eyes and leave sentiments. For me, I'd prefer to run a course that is recognised inside and outside Nigeria.

Also, I learnt that Novelle now pays for international student membership with the UK HSE body to students who complete their course and write the exam for FREE.

Finally, I'll advise you to run your HSE with a centre that will give you examination after training like Novelle, not a place that just dash certificates to everyone who attend the 4 or 5days course without exams. kiss kiss kiss

O and sorry did I fail to mention that this company called Novelle won the British International Safety awards 2015. Won the Best HSE training institute in Nigeria 2015 (this award was powered by ISPON Lagos branch and Lagos State Government), won the Total quality awards from BIS Geneva, and just recently won the Queens Achievement Award for health and safety company 2016. I got all these info from their website and facebook page www.facebook.com/NovelleCenter. My guy twale for people weh sabi. abi no be so?

I'll always do FREE Publicity for Novelle my people because they blessed my life. No worry

www.novellecenter.com

1 Like

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jul 05, 2016
Please HELP ....I need a job as a Safety Officer ..I have some required Certification but a little experience ,as so ,I wouldn't mind serving as an INTERN ..

I am based in Abuja but I 'll be glad to relocate .

Thanks
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by faro02455(m): 10:31am On Jul 10, 2016
Hello house, gone through this thread from the first page up till here; and I can say it's been really educating. I'm a chemical engineering student currently on IT. Where do you I start the HSE program from? I had ND in chemical engineering too....so, I'm kinda confused either to start from the general HSE or level 3..... thanks.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jul 10, 2016
faro02455:
Hello house, gone through this thread from the first page up till here; and I can say it's been really educating. I'm a chemical engineering student currently on IT. Where do you I start the HSE program from? I had ND in chemical engineering too....so, I'm kinda confused either to start from the general HSE or level 3..... thanks.

It is advisable to tackle the HSE Training from an NVQ Level 3 which is NEBOSH International General Certificate...This certification is now the basic requirement for those entering the HSE Profession in all industries.

If you have deep pockets you can tackle the NEBOSH International Diploma though it is advisable to have a NEBOSH IGC as a background or if you have a sharp brain you can take the NEBOSH Diploma which is NVQ Level 5 (BSc. Level)

NEBOSH is not the only moneymaking Abbreviation in the Safety Profession BUT nwannem please when you get this Safety Qualification get one with an address....Like the Ekwulobia Urban Mass Transit ....udoh! grin
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by faro02455(m): 11:51pm On Jul 10, 2016
WilliamXi:

It is advisable to tackle the HSE Training from an NVQ Level 3 which is NEBOSH International General Certificate...This certification is now the basic requirement for those entering the HSE Profession in all industries.

If you have deep pockets you can tackle the NEBOSH International Diploma though it is advisable to have a NEBOSH IGC as a background or if you have a sharp brain you can take the NEBOSH Diploma which is NVQ Level 5 (BSc. Level)

NEBOSH is not the only moneymaking Abbreviation in the Safety Profession BUT nwannem please when you get this Safety Qualification get one with an address....Like the Ekwulobia Urban Mass Transit ....udoh! grin
thanks bro. But can you give the difference between the ISPON level 3 and Nebosh IGC?
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by zeongeon: 9:22am On Jul 11, 2016
faro02455:
thanks bro. But can you give the difference between the ISPON level 3 and Nebosh IGC?
ISPON in general teaches you how to manage and adapt your HSE skills to the Nigerian environment for example in ISPON you hear things like community affairs, tribes totem, shrine, omonile, hostile locals but Nebosh IGC teaches you how safety is managed internationally and you see things like safe work procedures during winter, spring, heaters in the toilets and offices.

However, you can still function excellently as a safety professional with Ispon training as there trainings and lectures are designed after Shell Petroleum Development Company Standards.

Finally, Nebosh and Ispon are both good it now depends on you if you would like to carry your safety trainings and exposure beyond the Nigerian system.

Hope my rants did justice to your question.

God bless safety professionals.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Nobody: 10:35am On Jul 11, 2016
That is correct...
But getting a NEBOSH or any International Certification will do your career a whole lot of good.
Once you get employed as a Safety Professional, you will get OJT-ed by your employee to conform to certain client requirements for Safety Professionals and ISPON alone nor NEBOSH will not fill that void.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Dgaffer(m): 11:46am On Jul 11, 2016
Gentleme1:

Hi MikeSPIRIT,

Like I commented in an earlier post, there are lots of misleading posts and people should be careful how they make comments so we do not confuse people. For the records I did my training with Novelle in June,2014 and today I work with OGFZA (Oil and Gas free zone Onne) and I'll recommend them everywhere.

Here are few things you should know:

1. Novelle is a training company approved by centres like NEBOSH, BISO, ISPON, BPMA, PECB, IRCA, GTACS to offer professional training skills in Health and safety. Approvals like the above imply that such centres are big. We are talking about approvals that take as much as N3million and above to get.

2. When I did my training in Novelle, we were trained with UK and Nigeria curriculum which gives you an edge over others, because most companies in Nigeria operate with British Standards (otherwise known as BS Codes) and they respect and employ you when they know you have something bigger than the average safety practitioner in Nigeria. I dont wish to blow my whistle, but the training I got was one of the reason I easily bagged my appointment with OGFZA Onne.

3. ISPON even recognises Novelle as a training company. Any company recognised and approved by ISPON to training is big. Lets leave too much talk, simple!

4. It was during my training at Novelle Centre that I learnt that safety has six levels (Level 1, level 2, level 3, level 5, level 6, and level 8. . Level 1 gives you background knowledge in safety, level 2 is a practical level, you will be required by Novelle to do a site visit to pass this level, level 3 deals on first aid, fire safety and environmental management, level 5 is NEBOSH preliminary, level 6 is Nebosh IGC which is equivalent to OND according to scottish Vocational qualification and finally Level 8 is Nebosh diploma which is equivalent to BSc.

With a Nebosh diploma you can go on straight to do your masters in any UK university. Check for yourself: https://www.nebosh.org.uk/students/currently_studying/default.asp?cref=813&ct=2

All Novelle HSE courses and certificates are straight from United Kingdom and their HSE level 1-3 makes you eligible for Nebosh instantly. Finally, I have 2 friends working with Lagos state ministry of Environment with the UK HSE certificate from novelle, so my brother shine your eyes and leave sentiments. For me, I'd prefer to run a course that is recognised inside and outside Nigeria.

Also, I learnt that Novelle now pays for international student membership with the UK HSE body to students who complete their course and write the exam for FREE.

Finally, I'll advise you to run your HSE with a centre that will give you examination after training like Novelle, not a place that just dash certificates to everyone who attend the 4 or 5days course without exams. kiss kiss kiss

O and sorry did I fail to mention that this company called Novelle won the British International Safety awards 2015. Won the Best HSE training institute in Nigeria 2015 (this award was powered by ISPON Lagos branch and Lagos State Government), won the Total quality awards from BIS Geneva, and just recently won the Queens Achievement Award for health and safety company 2016. I got all these info from their website and facebook page www.facebook.com/NovelleCenter. My guy twale for people weh sabi. abi no be so?

I'll always do FREE Publicity for Novelle my people because they blessed my life. No worry

www.novellecenter.com

Bros, thanks so much for the clarification above.. I will like to know which course to do between Project Management program PMP and HSSE..I want to maximize cost .however, I studied Building Technology and a serving corps member with aim to run the program before my service elaps.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Nobody: 11:59am On Jul 11, 2016
PMP and HSSE are like oil and water...they can only mix inside a pot of soup. grin
It is a "desirable to have" for a Safety Professional but a "Must have" for a Project Manager or Planner/Planning Engineer.
And if you have both, well Adukpe lowo Jesu.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by faro02455(m): 3:12pm On Jul 11, 2016
zeongeon:
ISPON in general teaches you how to manage and adapt your HSE skills to the Nigerian environment for example in ISPON you hear things like community affairs, tribes totem, shrine, omonile, hostile locals but Nebosh IGC teaches you how safety is managed internationally and you see things like safe work procedures during winter, spring, heaters in the toilets and offices.

However, you can still function excellently as a safety professional with Ispon training as there trainings and lectures are designed after Shell Petroleum Development Company Standards.

Finally, Nebosh and Ispon are both good it now depends on you if you would like to carry your safety trainings and exposure beyond the Nigerian system.

Hope my rants did justice to your question.

God bless safety professionals.
I appreciate this reply alot
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Dgaffer(m): 9:35pm On Jul 11, 2016
WilliamXi:
PMP and HSSE are like oil and water...they can only mix inside a pot of soup. grin
It is a "desirable to have" for a Safety Professional but a "Must have" for a Project Manager or Planner/Planning Engineer.
And if you have both, well Adukpe lowo Jesu.

thanks bro. I comprehend your suggestion. I guess,I need to start with PMP first for my pocket safety and then graduate to the other side
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Nobody: 4:57am On Jul 12, 2016
You are most welcomed good sir.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Nobody: 6:22am On Jul 13, 2016
faro02455:
ISPON level 3 is worth it's weight in Gold...only in Nigeria.
NEBOSH IGC carries it's weight internationally except in the US, Canada, New Zealand and a few other countries that have their own Safety Qualifications.

Employers will prefer people with NEBOSH IGC than those with ISPON Level 3...as any skill gap between the two can be covered by OJT (On the Job Training).

As some of the other members stated getting an expensive Safety Qualification is not an automatic guarantee of you getting a job ( a well paid one at that).
The NEBOSH IGC is now a benchmark as course providers have pushed it to the forefront...there are other alternative safety qualifications you can acquire that will be easy on your pocket and peace of mind while working.

I have a friend who was sent for NEBOSH Training by his company...this is not a universal practice amongst companies but you'll never know.

1 Like

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by zeongeon: 9:18am On Jul 13, 2016
WilliamXi:

ISPON level 3 is worth it's weight in Gold...only in Nigeria.
NEBOSH IGC carries it's weight internationally except in the US, Canada, New Zealand and a few other countries that have their own Safety Qualifications.

Employers will prefer people with NEBOSH IGC than those with ISPON Level 3...as any skill gap between the two can be covered by OJT (On the Job Training).

As some of the other members stated getting an expensive Safety Qualification is not an automatic guarantee of you getting a job ( a well paid one at that).
The NEBOSH IGC is now a benchmark as course providers have pushed it to the forefront...there are other alternative safety qualifications you can acquire that will be eay on your pocket and peace of mind while working.

I have a friend who was sent for NEBOSH Training by his company...this is not a universal practice amongst companies but you'll never know.
NEBOSH is recognized very well in canada, Newzealand, Australia, European countries and middle east...How did I know this? my facilitator who is British travels to these countries to teach Nebosh courses.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by harlyon(m): 9:51am On Jul 13, 2016
zeongeon:
NEBOSH is recognized very well in canada, Newzealand, Australia, European countries and middle east...How did I know this? my facilitator who is British travels to these countries to teach Nebosh courses.
Canada has its own safety qualification
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by zeongeon: 11:16am On Jul 13, 2016
harlyon:

Canada has its own safety qualification
Canada has it's own safety institution which is the BCRSP just like United Kingdom has IOSH. In canada your safety qualifications eg diploma, pgd, certificates are earned by going to designated schools,
https://www​.ccohs.ca/.../courses.html

Canada doesn't have a body like Nebosh that strictly issues out HSE certifications. Mind you canada, Australia and Newzealand all have a connection with England so Nebosh is well recognized.

1 Like

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jul 13, 2016
zeongeon:
They have theirs sir, for Australia and New Zealand you'd need atleast a Cert IV in WHS to get into Safety
BTW No be quarrel nah, who am I to challenge a whiteman grin grin grin. #BlackLivesMatter but #AllLivesMatterToo
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by zeongeon: 2:04pm On Jul 13, 2016
WilliamXi:

They have theirs sir, for Australia and New Zealand you'd need atleast a Cert IV in WHS to get into Safety
BTW No be quarrel nah, who am I to challenge a whiteman grin grin grin. #BlackLivesMatter but #AllLivesMatterToo
Jesu Christi....LMAO...before d guy commot gun shoot you on top safety matter...Lol

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (113) (Reply)

How Much Is Level 8/2 Based On New Salary Structure? / ICAN November 2023 Diet Exam - Let's Meet Here / Has Any Federal Civil Servant Received The New Minimum Wage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.