Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,981 members, 7,814,336 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:15 AM

12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death (41706 Views)

Soldiers Attack GOC, Victor Eziegwu Over Food, Water Shortage In Maiduguri / Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction / 50 Terrorists, 12 Soldiers, Policemen Feared Killed In Borno Attacks. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Sarimah(f): 7:45am On Sep 16, 2014
Dem get mind sha embarassed
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by chronique(m): 7:50am On Sep 16, 2014
Such a sad tale. The best their colleagues can do for them,is to ensure they find a way of assassinating that greedy G.O.C(if truly the allegations made against him is true). Evil men should not be allowed to breathe/live.
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by lyntiffany(f): 7:50am On Sep 16, 2014
pascal2525: Y will they do that, imagine the only son of a widow, the father of 5months old baby that they want to destroy, it is only those that dont have the spirit of God in them amoge the lawyers will approve the execution, and they final execute them, i promise!! They will never have peace in their lives!!
Amen to that.
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Afritop(m): 7:55am On Sep 16, 2014
Too bad! Consequences for participating in one nigeria
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Abbey2sam(m): 7:56am On Sep 16, 2014
donnypool: A military court sitting in Abuja on Monday found 13 out of the 18 soldiers standing trial for mutiny and other offences guilty.

Twelve of the convicted soldiers were sentenced to death, five were discharged and acquitted while the remaining one was jailed for 28 days with hard labour.

The soldiers had on May 14, 2014 fired shots at the General Officer Commanding the newly created 7 Division of Nigerian Army, Maj. Gen. Ahmed Mohammmed, in Maiduguri.

The act is viewed in the military as mutiny.

Those discharged are David Robert, Mohammed Sani, Iseh Ubong, Sebastine Gwaba and Naaman Samuel.

Jeremiah Echocho was sentenced to 28 days with hard labour.

Those who were sentenced to death are Jasper Braidolor, David Musa, Friday Onuh, Yusuf Shuaibu, Igonmu Emmanuel, Andrew Ugbede, Nurudeen Ahmed, Ifeanyi Alukagba, Alao Samuel, Amadi Chukwuma, Alan Linus, and Stephen Clement.

They were found guilty of criminal conspiracy, mutiny, attempt to commit murder (shooting of the vehicle of the GOC); insubordination to a particular order; insubordination and false accusation.

The President of the Court Martial, Maj. Gen. C.C. Okonkwo, said the 12 soldiers were found guilty of three of the most heinous charges bars.

The legal team of the convicts pleaded with the court martial to temper justice with mercy.

The team reeled out pathetic stories about the family backgrounds of the convicted servicemen.

One was said to be the only son of his octogenarian widowed mother.

Another is the father of a five-month-old baby.

The defence team argued that giving them maximum sentence would do more harm than good, adding that it would increase the agony of their dependants.

The attack on the GOC and his men reportedly occurred when they visited the cantonment.

The Maimalari Cantonment is the headquarters of 7 Division, the newest Division of the Nigerian Army.

Military sources said that soldiers at the cantonment had been complaining of insufficient ammunition, food and allowances prior to the GOC’s visit.

They were also reportedly unhappy and their morale was at its lowest ebb because there had not been troop rotation for a long time since their deployment to combat Boko Haram terrorists in the North- East.

“The GOC’s visit coincided with the arrival of the corpses of soldiers killed in an ambush in Chibok on the night of May 13, 2014.

“The apparently agitated soldiers, on sighting the corpses of their slain colleagues became hysteric. Some opened fire on the GOC, who was lucky to have escaped unhurt. However, the bullets hit and seriously injured some of his bodyguards, who also fled to safety,” the source said.

http://www.punchng.com/news/12-soldiers-who-attacked-goc-sentenced-to-death/

they should have just sent them sambisa instead of hanging them

sad though

mutiny is a great offense
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by gallantsoldier(m): 7:57am On Sep 16, 2014
Nigeria army is filled with useless an selfish officers what about the Goc who gave the soldiers wrong information which led to there ambush the soldier we'r coming back from a successful operation against bokoharam he called them and ask of there wer about ther told him and he told them to go back and passed the other road the soldiers said tat there came to chibok tru the road but he disagree and said it was an order the soldiers turn back and that was the end boko haram ambush them. 322 artillery battalion and fourth brigade garrison of benin in edo state wer ambush in kogi yesterday
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by mastengsynergy: 7:58am On Sep 16, 2014
This is serious! I pitied the officers and their family. Such conditions could be frustrating though, but they went too far.
The GOC too should be investigated. The soldiers in the war zone should be adequately taken care of else they compromise.
I feel President Jonathan should step in as the Commander in chief of the Armed forces for the condemned soldiers to get a little reprieve because of their family and the defenseless.
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Nobody: 8:02am On Sep 16, 2014
its a pity those guys got frustrated n neglected..executing or jailing them does nobody or da na or da nation no good. Nigerians should not allow those soldiers get executed
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by alcuin(m): 8:03am On Sep 16, 2014
What kinda soldiers shoot and miss? They need to be sentenced to death missing the target.

At least....it will be worth it.
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by BlackTechnology: 8:06am On Sep 16, 2014
gallantsoldier: Nigeria army is filled with useless an selfish officers what about the Goc who gave the soldiers wrong information which led to there ambush the soldier we'r coming back from a successful operation against bokoharam he called them and ask of there wer about ther told him and he told them to go back and passed the other road the soldiers said tat there came to chibok tru the road but he disagree and said it was an order the soldiers turn back and that was the end boko haram ambush them. 322 artillery battalion and fourth brigade garrison of benin in edo state wer ambush in kogi yesterday

This is what Ihejirika curtail

In his era, he contained BH at Sambisa

3 Likes

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Nobody: 8:06am On Sep 16, 2014
its a pity those guys got frustrated n neglected..Though they went too far(who wudnt in da line of flying bullets),executing or jailing them does nobody or da na or da nation no good. Nigerians should not allow those soldiers get executed
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by rhames(m): 8:08am On Sep 16, 2014
donnypool: A military court sitting in Abuja on Monday found 13 out of the 18 soldiers standing trial for mutiny and other offences guilty.

Twelve of the convicted soldiers were sentenced to death, five were discharged and acquitted while the remaining one was jailed for 28 days with hard labour.

The soldiers had on May 14, 2014 fired shots at the General Officer Commanding the newly created 7 Division of Nigerian Army, Maj. Gen. Ahmed Mohammmed, in Maiduguri.

The act is viewed in the military as mutiny.

Those discharged are David Robert, Mohammed Sani, Iseh Ubong, Sebastine Gwaba and Naaman Samuel.

Jeremiah Echocho was sentenced to 28 days with hard labour.

Those who were sentenced to death are Jasper Braidolor, David Musa, Friday Onuh, Yusuf Shuaibu, Igonmu Emmanuel, Andrew Ugbede, Nurudeen Ahmed, Ifeanyi Alukagba, Alao Samuel, Amadi Chukwuma, Alan Linus, and Stephen Clement.

They were found guilty of criminal conspiracy, mutiny, attempt to commit murder (shooting of the vehicle of the GOC); insubordination to a particular order; insubordination and false accusation.

The President of the Court Martial, Maj. Gen. C.C. Okonkwo, said the 12 soldiers were found guilty of three of the most heinous charges bars.

The legal team of the convicts pleaded with the court martial to temper justice with mercy.

The team reeled out pathetic stories about the family backgrounds of the convicted servicemen.

One was said to be the only son of his octogenarian widowed mother.

Another is the father of a five-month-old baby.

The defence team argued that giving them maximum sentence would do more harm than good, adding that it would increase the agony of their dependants.

The attack on the GOC and his men reportedly occurred when they visited the cantonment.

The Maimalari Cantonment is the headquarters of 7 Division, the newest Division of the Nigerian Army.

Military sources said that soldiers at the cantonment had been complaining of insufficient ammunition, food and allowances prior to the GOC’s visit.

They were also reportedly unhappy and their morale was at its lowest ebb because there had not been troop rotation for a long time since their deployment to combat Boko Haram terrorists in the North- East.

“The GOC’s visit coincided with the arrival of the corpses of soldiers killed in an ambush in Chibok on the night of May 13, 2014.

“The apparently agitated soldiers, on sighting the corpses of their slain colleagues became hysteric. Some opened fire on the GOC, who was lucky to have escaped unhurt. However, the bullets hit and seriously injured some of his bodyguards, who also fled to safety,” the source said.

http://www.punchng.com/news/12-soldiers-who-attacked-goc-sentenced-to-death/

But the Nigerian AArmy kept denying allegations of mutiny within its ranks repeatedly.
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Stoical: 8:10am On Sep 16, 2014
ikwoche: and what is the sentence for the Generals that betray the followers. I expect a serious revolt from all rank and files in the armed forces. They could be in this situation tomorrow. The mutiny law should exclude people fighting for a change. All junior ranks should revolt and everybody sentenced to death and I expect a serious tweet to begin #Freemutinysoldiers #killcorruptgenerals

Sorry to say this bro...but you talk ignorantly. This aint civilian that we are talking about. Civilian tolerates a lot of what you are talking about, but this is different in the military. Just like one person said here; military is like a cult and there are set down rules and disciplinary actions that follow suit. There are different means to air your grievianves in the military...including, usind the press, your relatives, the masses and so on...but please, you dare not go against your CO not to talk of GOC-i beg to say, no matter what they do to you (if you recall the popular saying, that in military, it is OBEY BEFORE COMPLAIN). Even those that have saved in NYSC can atleast attest to some of these sayings.

Having said the above...revolt is not even in the book for them. But, I only wish the C-in-C could step in and reduces their punishment (this is the emotional me talking though). But, truth be told, in as much as we wish things can be done properly in this country and investigation carried out to either avoid future reoccurence by purnishing the officers involved...you DARE NOT act in such manner, as a military personnel.

Yes, its emotional to lost peeps, especially when they where somehow reacting out of frustration, but that's military for you Bro and they all knew before they went in.

I also bet you that even the current recruitment going on, a lot of peeps are still going into it. Whether you go in because of lack of employment or not. An adage says, "When you are in Room, behave as the Romans".

1 Like

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Nobody: 8:22am On Sep 16, 2014
This kin work sef get as e b.they shld av been given prison sentences with hard labour or dishonorly discharge rada dan execution..R.I.P in advance to d fighting men
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by hotwax: 8:22am On Sep 16, 2014
How many Boko-haram have been sentensed to death so far? Not even 1. Nigerians need to start taking laws into their hands. These Government is our sour enemy
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Hero10001: 8:23am On Sep 16, 2014
Zarathena: Height of indiscpline undecided
Coupled with bad shooting skills, lack of killer instincts, low I.Q and no bullet law.
Imagine, 12 armed field men couldn't terminate a fat pot-belle GOC and his 4 man convoy right in their barrack successfully?!
What a shame, let them go and die!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by kenex4ever(m): 8:24am On Sep 16, 2014
Dey have to pardon dem else they will curse d nigerian army. God help pls
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by jauntty: 8:26am On Sep 16, 2014
The actions of the soldiers were unethical and unprofessional. Its condemnable. Lesser sentences should be meted out to them. Sentencing them to death is harsh, callous, primitive and does not solve the underlying problems and motive behind the mutiny. What pains me most is the fact that Boko Haram members are still feeding fat from our tax money in our prisons and all we can do is to execute our own soldiers.
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by dnawah(m): 8:27am On Sep 16, 2014
Pangea: I dey see some Nairalanders on that list!
Naa wa o!

On a serious note,
The nigerian military is like a secret cult!
You can't protest against your commanding officer even if he decides to kill you.

The worst of it all is that, the higher authority will still protect the officer, even if he is wrong!

What a wicked organisation!

I still remember the story of the ECOMOG soldiers that protested against the embezzling of their allowance by their commander!
How they were dealt with by a kangaroo court martial and even a lady among them was lumped together with the males in thesame cell.
We don't even know what happened to them again!

There is no justice in this country, that's all I will say now!
you were or be army?
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by 100Cents: 8:34am On Sep 16, 2014
gratiaeo: I wonder what prompted them to attacked their GOC, despite the fact that they know they will be facing death penalties for Mutiny. The Nigerian Army should addressed the motive behind these soldiers action to thwart the reoccurrence of such action.
This is too bad, How many Boko Haram, that have been killing scores of people sentenced to Death? Somebody please tell them that jailing and executing demoralized soldiers is certainly not an effective way of instilling discipline in the army.

WORD..
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Sagamite(m): 8:34am On Sep 16, 2014
Moronic nation, moronic people!

Our person nation led by a cretinous person president can sentence them to death but no charges would be brought against the military leadership thieves they were rebelling against. The thieves looting the budget meant for arming and feeding them, then who are sending them poorly trained and armed to be killed and humiliated by some few illiterate rag-tag Allahu-Akbar militias who have completely humiliated the so-call "Giant of Africa" army and shown they are quacks that are only able to kill and oppress unarmed people.

person GEJ and his continued support for corruption.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Oyiboman69: 8:42am On Sep 16, 2014
this is extremely politics and prejudice.
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Hamazz1: 8:45am On Sep 16, 2014
Controversy: Double whala….. the GOC left unhurt,,,, yet they were convict to death. I wish they could have killed the GOC and it would server as deterrent to those oga at the top. It is easier to arrange and convict them, but it is difficult for to find lasting solutions to the reason for their agitations.
Quick judgement, bt not quick solution to the cause of the problem, nigerian military wit funny characters, u send christians to go nd die in war torn north east abi? This judgement must not be allowed to stay. It is indeed an illwind. It will blow no one no good. A word is enough for the wise.
FOOL whn it constitutes predominantly muslims units u say they were nt able to carry out there duties effectively bc they BH sympatizers nw this unit has been sent u draging religion into it.nigerian millitary procedure stipulates u dnt send soldiers wt a line of sympathy to d presumed enemy hence mst soldiers dt fought in d ND were mstly northern muslims n this explains y dt unit constitutes mostly christians logic they ll hv no interest in d war impartiality n neutrality.
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by omonla555: 8:57am On Sep 16, 2014
TRADELYN: We sympathise with them, their friends and family members.

So, this would restore the needed order and discipline?

May GoD bless Nigeria!

............ ................ ...............
FROM THE DESK OF TRADELYN.
Experts in Research Projects, Business Plans, Sales/Marketing, etc. 0708 860 8914, tradelyn@gmail.com, www.tradelyn.com.

Good thinking, Good product

1 Like

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Monjie(m): 9:04am On Sep 16, 2014
Why are the majority southern look in at the names. Is that an aspect to be investigated by the Army as a way of avoiding re-occurence.
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Suljosh: 9:11am On Sep 16, 2014
Controversy: Double whala….. the GOC left unhurt,,,, yet they were convict to death. I wish they could have killed the GOC and it would server as deterrent to those oga at the top. It is easier to arrange and convict them, but it is difficult for to find lasting solutions to the reason for their agitations.
Quick judgement, bt not quick solution to the cause of the problem, nigerian military wit funny characters, u send christians to go nd die in war torn north east abi? This judgement must not be allowed to stay. It is indeed an illwind. It will blow no one no good. A word is enough for the wise.
let's all hash tag the world on twitter #SaveThe12SodiersConvicted. What they have done is wrong but are the politicians steeling our money any better than this guys? This guys don't deserve to die this way. And for the Ogas At The Top your days are number.

1 Like

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by okpanachil: 9:11am On Sep 16, 2014
Apitch: Have any of U stopped to think that if 12 trained solders fired at the man who ran to safety, that he will survive? Nobody died?
My thought is that those MEN got angry and released some shots and maybe when the GOC ran away, they decided to mess his car up
For some of us making noise here, read the story again and put urself in their shoes, it's like sending them to their death knowningly. Low ammunitions to fight heavily loaded BH boys and they already know the outcome and U step in right when the corpse of their brothers where returned, I will do same and wait for my death
(I called them MEN cause they are the only people that deserve that title)
If they go, they should know that they will always live on in the hearts of people like me
WORD!And some persons will turn around and say it was indiscipline and that they deserve it.In as much as I dont advocate such reaction,truth is that is the only language some persons understand.
I keep wondering if the militarys definition of discipline is sending hungry,ill equipped and demoralized MEN out for slaughter.Ok the guys Mutinied but what is the punishment for the CO,if they think pardoning this guys will bring about indiscipline,what is the consequences of pardoning the CO.
Enriching yourself at the expense of your own MEN so much so that the consequence is death in their numbers.Some persons have actually sold their conscience.
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Nobody: 9:13am On Sep 16, 2014
A psychological evaluation of the soldiers should've been carried out before the sentencing. You can't just assume all is well with them, seeing as they had a lot of mental stress at the time.
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by ghettodreamz(m): 9:19am On Sep 16, 2014
With this kind of news, it is evident enough that Nigeria is a BIG joke.

Our judiciary is so quick at carrying out severe verdicts on the helpless citizens. Instead of doing their due diligence, tackling the situation from the roots, they are scraping it from the surface.

Has the dilemma and problem of the fighting soldiers been resolved?

How would it stop a re-occurrence of such in the Nigerian army?

How does killing these helpless and poor soldiers stop the Boko Haram from being killed?

I wonder if this verdict would have remain the same if those sentenced soldiers were well connected embarassed

Welcome to Nigeria, a state where the rule of law only favours the influentials and elites, the unconnected are being unfairly treated and the wheel of justice is a very slow one.

1 Like

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by nduchucks: 9:25am On Sep 16, 2014
They continue to kill the small fish, the peons, the jobless youths accused of being BH members, soldiers who were sent to the war front unequipped without any choice but to protest. A protest they now call mutity.

The death sentence was already the verdict for the soldiers when they were scheduled to go and fight with inferior equipment - even their wives and family members protested the injustice.

In the meantime, we are still waiting for the names of the BH sponsors in this administration which GEJ promised to reveal some 3 years ago. What about the 10 Generals being prosecuted Of Arming Boko Haram? These are the people who should be prosecuted and executed if found guilty, not these foot soldiers who were going to be the first to die in the war front anyway.

wharrrashame!!!

1 Like

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by san316(m): 9:26am On Sep 16, 2014
Boko haram kill una soldiers, una follow want help them kill more. Go ahead! It's the law. But know that whatever made the soldiers commit that crime, came from the NA as an organization and not from the soldiers.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Niger Delta: Buhari Made Me Cry Today, Essien Attah / Charly Boy Meets Peter Obi, Femi Kuti For 'Nigerian Youth Decide' To Hold In FCT / People At The Entrance Of The Presidential Tribunal Court (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.