Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,221 members, 7,815,268 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:57 AM

We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out (20238 Views)

Ezekwesili: We’re Being Reminded Of Military Era. The Cable. / SSS Uncovers Stockpiles Of Arms, Ammunition In Akwa Ibom Govt House-PremiumTimes / DSS Invasion Of Akwa Ibom Govt’s House Unacceptable – Fayose (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by Systeme101: 2:45pm On Sep 16, 2014
what is all this insane comparism b/w Akpabio nd fashola? I mean why shld a state lik akwa ibom b compared to d foremost federal capital of d country simply because of revenue allocation? Apart from d eco atlantic project, Fashola is maintening/beutiying an already establish structures which wer constructed by the fed govt while akpabio is building a pedestran state which had suffered several years of negligence from the scratch? I tink we shld start rating d progress of akwa ibom from 2007 wen d revenue ws increased nd stop making useless remarks!
Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by arresa: 2:49pm On Sep 16, 2014
Another huge Akpabio scam is the Ibaka Seaport..

They budget billions for this invisible and non existing Seaport every year, even common fence and access road doesn't exist, but somebody is pocketing billions every year...

By Samson Echenim

Ibaka Deep Seaport Not in National Projects Plan - Investigation

Despite the yearly allocation of several billions of naira for the construction of a proposed greenfield deep seaport at Ibaka in Akwa Ibom State by both the State Government and the Nigeria Ports Authority (NPA) since 2011, the project has remained elusive, with no evidence of a port being built at the proposed site.

The project is missing in the National Integrated Infrastructure Master Plan and in the list of similar projects planned in partnership between the federal government and state government, with expectations of private investors collaborations.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201312160580.html

That state is one huge scam...

2 Likes

Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by abagoro(m): 2:53pm On Sep 16, 2014
evegran: . Now it is apparent you're one of those sadists from other tribes who doesn't appreciate the development of Akwa Ibom state or even the development of places outside your tribe. I can smell jealousy all around ya! And you're delighted my state is going through this. Well as a proud oron lady, I'm optimistic for my state- so how about you save your criticisms or pile em up together and throw em at your Gov whoever the Bleep he is.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/akpabio-underdeveloped-oron-says-ex-commissioner/

ta Awak, an Oron man, is a trained aircraft engineer and a former Information Commissioner in Akwa Ibom State under former Governor Victor Attah. He spoke with reporters on the politics of succession and the  alleged marginalisation of Oron Nation in Akwa Ibom State. Kazeem Ibrahym was there. 
Considering the massive cash inflow into Akwa Ibom State, how would you assess the performance of the state government so far?
You may not believe it, but I tell you that there is massive hunger in Akwa Ibom State. Like everybody knows, the annual revenue profile of Akwa Ibom State equals that of Lagos State. As a matter of fact, from 2007 till date, it will be interesting to know that Akwa Ibom State is one of the states that have grossed up to or about 2 trillion naira. Such vast volume of money has never entered this state since the creation of this state in 1987. It may also interest you further that what Akwa Ibom State grosses annually from the Federation Account equals the total amount of money that accrues to all the Igbo-speaking states of the Southeastern zone. It does appear also that it is equal to the total amount of money received by all the Hausa-Fulani North eastern states put together. As a matter of fact, in this year’s budget, what we have is about N500 billion, which is about four times the total amount of money that Cross River State is budgeting for this year. So,what are we trying to say? In terms of the revenue we have received compared to our recorded development, there is a wide gap. As it is, Akwa Ibom State is known to be one of the richest states in the country, but the vast majority of the people of Akwa State are pauperised, the economic class in Akwa Ibom State has been reduced to executive beggars. It is a tragedy, a supreme tragedy that we can have this huge amount of money, yet it is not reflected in an improved standard of living of Akwa Ibom people. It will be interesting to know what the current poverty index of Akwa Ibom State is, but I know for sure that there is hunger in this state. Very, very saddening, indeed. Thank you very much.
But the Governor keeps talking of “Uncommon Transformation” of Akwa Ibom State. How then do you justify this statement with what you have just said?
In all fairness to my good friend, the Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Obong Godswill Obot Akpabio, he has, to all intents and purposes, recorded some measurable structural development within the Uyo metropolis. Please note that Uyo metropolis only constitutes just one local government of the nine Local Governments that make up Uyo Senatorial District. This hyperbolised claim about uncommon transformation can also be seen in a section of Ikot Ekpene Senatorial District where my dear governor hails from. That is where you see this so-called uncommon transformation. Have you taken a ride through Eket Senatorial District? It may interest you to know that the petrodollar that drives the economy of Akwa Ibom State all comes from Eket Senatorial District. When you get into Eket Senatorial District, what accosts your sight is the glaring and soulful evidence of uncommon neglect. Then, when you now go to the Oron Nation, where I come from, you will see stark reality of criminal marginalisation of both the natives and the communities. Further, when you get into the 31 LGAs of Akwa Ibom State, all you see is evidence of neglect, plunder and uncommon roguery. That is what is going on in Akwa Ibom State.
Akwa Ibom State is getting prepared to elect a successor to Governor Godswill Akpabio. The most current situation is that the Executive Council of Akwa Ibom State has recently nominated three persons…

You can read more from many sources

http://sensornewsonline.com.ng/content/gov-akpabio-blamed-poor-roads-oro-nation

http://lailasblog.net/news/akpabio-hates-us-oron-youths

http://www.plusnaija.com/video-akpabios-hypocrisy-oron-people-surfaces-youtube/

4 Likes

Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by arresa: 2:57pm On Sep 16, 2014
Systeme101: what is all this insane comparism b/w Akpabio nd fashola? I mean why shld a state lik akwa ibom b compared to d foremost federal capital of d country simply because of revenue allocation? Apart from d eco atlantic project, [b]Fashola is maintening/beutiying an already establish structures which wer constructed by the fed govt [/b]while akpabio is building a pedestran state which had suffered several years of negligence from the scratch? I tink we shld start rating d progress of akwa ibom from 2007 wen d revenue ws increased nd stop making useless remarks!

Sorry burst your burble, every thing in the link below was built and commissioned by Fashola within his 2 terms in office and it's pages long...Show us the federal projects if you can..

And when you say federal projects, what's the meaning of that? Can you name them?

Please leave ignorance alone..

https://www.nairaland.com/1894158/lagos-state-pride-south-west

2 Likes

Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by BlackTechnology: 3:02pm On Sep 16, 2014
GodMode:

The law of basic accounting/economics cannot be erased by a motivational speaker.

Anything can lose value.

I understand asset in terms of basic accounting/economics

But note

Some definitions were defined years ago with little subjection to real life economic challenges

That is why we update our definitions with time when we see their incompleteness.

Is like you saying your TV is an asset

If banks do accept assets as collateral

Will any bank accept your TV as a collateral.? No

The only reason banks will accept your house as an asset that can be used as collateral is because it is assumed that the land beneath it will always appreciate in value with time.

Now to the topic

Akwa Ibom spent xbillion naira to build a stadium
The questions the governor should have asked himself are

, How much will the stadium generate.?
Will the profit be sufficient to maintain it.?
Will it have a much desired socio-financial impact on at least 50% of indigenes.?

If the answer is no,

what he would have done if he still wants to build the stadium for beautification of Uyo is to acquire assets whose cash flows are sufficient to maintain the stadium

Why

Because the stadium will need maintenance and the next set of governments might not be stadium conscious.

Or

He focuses on other projects that will lift the ordinary indigenes out of poverty since it is well known that a large number Akwa Ibom people are house helps etc

What are those projects

Education but he failed in ensuring that teachers salaries are paid constant

Microcredit facilities but the commissioner did not mentioned it

Others which he never mentioned.

1 Like

Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by LaRoyalHighness(f): 3:05pm On Sep 16, 2014
Impossible....we are rich mbok..
Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by Systeme101: 3:11pm On Sep 16, 2014
evegran: . Thank you for your optimism. smiley. If most Nigerians reasoned like you or delighted themselves in the progress of the whole country, Nigeria would probably have been developed.
one bottle of beer for u jare! No mind dem haters since de couldnt succeed in impeaching akpabio, de r now condemning anything he does as if ders any govt. That dnt loot!

1 Like

Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by GodMode: 3:15pm On Sep 16, 2014
BlackTechnology:

I understand asset in terms of basic accounting/economics

But note

Some definitions were defined years ago with little subjection to real life economic challenges

That is why we update our definitions with time when we see their incompleteness.

Is like you saying your TV is an asset

If banks do accept assets as collateral

Will any bank accept your TV as a collateral.? No

The only reason banks will accept your house as an asset that can be used as collateral is because it is assumed that the land beneath it will always appreciate in value with time.

Now to the topic

Akwa Ibom spent xbillion naira to build a stadium
The questions the governor should have asked himself are

, How much will the stadium generate.?
Will the profit be sufficient to maintain it.?
Will it have a much desired socio-financial impact on at least 50% of indigenes.?

If the answer is no,

what he would have done if he still wants to build the stadium for beautification of Uyo is to acquire assets whose cash flows are sufficient to maintain the stadium

Why

Because the stadium will need maintenance and the next set of governments might not be stadium conscious.

Or

He focuses on other projects that will lift the ordinary indigenes out of poverty since it is well known that a large number Akwa Ibom people are house helps etc

What are those projects

Education but he failed in ensuring that teachers salaries are paid constant

Microcredit facilities but the commissioner did not mentioned it

Others which he never mentioned.

this your opinion is long....

it depends on the type of tv, so banks will still accept it depending on the value of the tv but it is wiser to use... but in cases of economic meltdown where the value of houses reduce... banks will not accept it that's what led to the fall of banks worldwide which also led to a global economic meltdown in 2008/2009.

back to the topic:
all the govt needs is to generate income from different means...
Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by CharliParker: 3:21pm On Sep 16, 2014
I said it PDP Govnors are not working
Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by swezenberg(m): 3:25pm On Sep 16, 2014
As a westerner, this is one of the states I cherish so much. If the governor used the money for meaningful projects and he needs more money I think the Federal Government should hence forth start looking into such cases and assist such Government and guide them on management of fund. There are states that are not given much but they only embezzle all with nothing to show for it.

The federal government should also make this governors accountable for their allocations and encourage competitions among states to discourage the bad eggs among these governors.
Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by Chibokgame: 3:30pm On Sep 16, 2014
Jakpon: Your fact is hinged on the figures of a flawed census that is eight years behind time.
Do you know the number of LCDA's that has been created out of Alimosho local government since 2006?

The combination of the population at Ejigbo, Ikotun, Idimu Egbeda, Igando and Akowonjo alone which are just few areas in Alimosho local government is higher than the entire Akwa Ibom

Population this
Population that.
Each time i see or hear people comparing the population of a Local govt council to a State in critics to development,

i wonder , and begin to ask,
Are they feeding the citizens with free food ?

And i ask again ,
Is Alimosho LGA feeding its ever increasing population with food ?
Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by BlackTechnology: 3:36pm On Sep 16, 2014
GodMode:

it depends on the type of tv, so banks will still accept it depending on the value of the tv but it is wiser to use... but in cases of economic meltdown where the value of houses reduce... banks will not accept it that's what led to the fall of banks worldwide which also led to a global economic meltdown in 2008/2009.

back to the topic:

Thanks for verifying my view that banks will only accept buildings that is sure to appreciate in value as collateral

But concerning your view on the need to increase other income source, yes it is good but the best financial principle is

For every low or no income generating infrastructures, there should be assets whose incomes can maintain it and clear any loan attached to it if was built on loans
Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by arresa: 3:41pm On Sep 16, 2014
Chibokgame:

Population this
Population that.
Each time i see or hear people comparing the population of a Local govt council to a State in critics to development,

And i ask again ,

Population matters and this is common sense.

With almost 4 times the population of Akwa Ibom, it means you need more schools, more hospitals, more roads and road maintenance, more teachers and so on in Lagos state to keep up with the higher and expanding population.

It's absurd and ridiculous that a state with just less than 5 million people and with the highest state budget in West Africa can only boast of less than 5 projects and they are all uncompleted even with years of huge budgets and allocation.

After 8 years in office-

No new hospitals

No new schools

No housing projects

No maternity centers

No skill acquisition centers

No meaningful commercial activities

No meaningful or visionary infrastructures..

They even budget billions for non existing projects.

2 Likes

Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by Nobody: 3:43pm On Sep 16, 2014
Chibokgame:

Population this
Population that.

And i ask again ,

How many schools do you need to provide for a population of 18m against 5m?

Ditto for all other infrastructures like hospitals, roads etc. The pressure on these facilities increases as the population increases, meaning more and more costs to you.

How many civil servants do you need to employ to run the state?

You might not feed citizens directly but you do need to put money in circulation through projects and the likes, that's how money gets to the common man.

If you look at all these you will see how different a place like Lagos is to akwa ibom or bayelsa.

1 Like

Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by johnwell(m): 3:44pm On Sep 16, 2014
What did you expect from a state ruled and govern by vampires?

Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by Akiika: 3:45pm On Sep 16, 2014
Great news, let the oil dry up everywhere, let there be no more allocation, the money doesn't get to the public anyway. Let the whole country go broke, the poor have been fending for themselves, let the Gov't do the same.
Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by Nobody: 3:47pm On Sep 16, 2014
johnwell: What did you expect from a state ruled and govern by vampires?

Too much money! The schools and roads all over akwa ibom ought to rival those from western nations.
Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by Nobody: 3:48pm On Sep 16, 2014
arresa:

Population matters and this is common sense.

With almost 4 times the population of Akwa Ibom, it means you need more schools, more hospitals, more roads and road maintenance, more teachers and so on in Lagos state to keep up with the higher and expanding population.

It's absurd and ridiculous that a state with just less than 5 million people and with the highest state budget in West Africa can only boast of less than 5 projects and they are all uncompleted even with years of huge budgets and allocation.

After 8 years in office-

No new hospitals

No new schools

No housing projects

No maternity centers

No skill acquisition centers

No meaningful commercial activities

No meaningful or visionary infrastructures..

They even budget billions for non existing projects.

We made a very similar post at the same time, i guess its common sense.

1 Like

Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by BlackTechnology: 3:50pm On Sep 16, 2014
GodMode:

back to the topic:

Thanks for verifying my view that banks will only accept buildings that is sure to appreciate in value as collateral

But concerning your view on the need to increase other income source, yes it is good but the best financial principle is

For every low or no income generating infrastructures, there should be assets whose incomes can maintain it and clear any loan attached to it if was built on loans
Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by chinasaekperem: 3:50pm On Sep 16, 2014
django1:

Too much money! The schools and roads all over akwa ibom ought to rival those from western nations.
this ibadan boy, why do you hate akwa ibom, oyo state also receives more allocation than most states in nigeria yet it look like a place in the jurassic age.

1 Like

Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by arresa: 3:50pm On Sep 16, 2014
django1:

We made a very similar post at the same time, i[b] guess its common sense[/b].

It is common sense of course,..
Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by mekadinho(f): 4:19pm On Sep 16, 2014
Jaideyone: loans that have been certified healthy for the state by professional economists.
Akpabio has been managing 4million people with over 200B fg allocation yearly. Fashola has managed a population of 18million people with just a little over 160B fg allocation.
Certified? By Economists? Hahaha...... Economists in Fashola's paying list? I feel like flogging Akpabio, but I wanna beat Fashola. They both lack one thing, financial managerial ability.
Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by Nobody: 5:00pm On Sep 16, 2014
The Akpabio administration is financially reckless with over bloated projects...imagine an entertainment complex costing 33 billion...the administration keeps building bridges and flyovers which are 15 times the normal price.He should be properly investigated after office but with a 'toothless bulldog' agency like EFCC and with Jonathan requiring all the support He needs for 2015,Akpabio will most likely end up a stinking Billionaire and a free thief when He leaves office in 2015.
Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by ibedun: 5:54pm On Sep 16, 2014
Chibokgame:
Population this
Population that.
And i ask again ,

Honestly no disrespect or insult intended BUT.........

This must be the worst observation and question poised I have come across in Nairaland.

The OP of this question need to have their head examined. Sorry no offence intended! undecided
Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by Nobody: 5:54pm On Sep 16, 2014
400 billion naira is just a little more than 2 billion dollars. The State has done wonderfully well. I am impressed with the road network, the stadium and that is it. Its impressive. The road from Airport has no pot-hole.

If the next Governor engineers such progress, then we Lagosians will have to migrate to Akwa Ibom, cos apparently, such roads cant be found in Lagos. Such Stadium ? Hoo la la lah

If you havent been to Uyo do not comment, and you have been there and chorn out unwholesome statement, then you are imperialistically insincere.
Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by santosdan: 7:33pm On Sep 16, 2014
Their govt have done a very good job
Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by skyface00(m): 11:42pm On Sep 16, 2014
Lolz the same state that u want 2 be paid life pension, 100million 4 medical, 10million 4 feeding, house worth 500million, decoration n furintures 60million, etc in just a state how come u coming out now saying no money where do u intend 2 get all dis money for ur own personal life flexing...God will strike all dis bad leaders down before they turn us 2 arm robbers
Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by Nobody: 12:23am On Sep 17, 2014
Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by Cristo88: 3:42am On Sep 17, 2014
PAT4HOT: I said it....Akpabio has been brainwashing us since 2007, now he wants to bring Udom to continue dancing to his tune.

The poll will decide by next year.
Udom will be the next governor!
Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by lionelayo(m): 5:22am On Sep 17, 2014
Unfortunately akwa ibom state gets the highest allocation but the people are poor in mind and the government is yet to develop agriculture and education which is the bedrock of the future and people of the state, their internally generated revenue is almost zero if oil stops coming today they are doomed this is a state that gets over. 33billon as allocation monthly states like lagos gets only about 9billion (IGR is over 23billion) ,
The governor of akwa ibom pays media heavily to make his image look Good other states like kogi gets just 10%(3billion) of what he (akwa ibom) earns and generates internally over 800million monthly so unfortunate they akwa ibom earn so much but is so poor in development of projects that has direct impact on the lives of the ordinary man on the street!

1 Like

Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by BabaTony: 7:02am On Sep 17, 2014
lionelayo: Unfortunately akwa ibom state gets the highest allocation but the people are poor in mind and the government is yet to develop agriculture and education which is the bedrock of the future and people of the state, their internally generated revenue is almost zero if oil stops coming today they are doomed this is a state that gets over. 33billon as allocation monthly states like lagos gets only about 9billion (IGR is over 23billion) ,
The governor of akwa ibom pays media heavily to make his image look Good other states like kogi gets just 10%(3billion) of what he (akwa ibom) earns and generates internally over 800million monthly so unfortunate they akwa ibom earn so much but is so poor in development of projects that has direct impact on the lives of the ordinary man on the street!

I reaĺlly hate when people like this with very low IQ comparable to that of an slowpoke write like this. What do you mean by "akwa ibom people are poor in mind"?. If you want to abuse akpabio you can do that for all I care but immediately you cross that boundary to use the opportunity to expose your ethnic bigotry to the well articulate and very smart, humble, humane, intelligent and hardworking akwa ibomite you are in for trouble. Akwa ibom gets the highest allocation so what? Is it not our money? Its should even be more! Let us akwa ibom people deal with our issues, face your work! We know how to handle people like akpabio when the time comes. Go and face your own crooks in yoruba land that are milking your scarred faces blue.fooooooool.....
Re: We’re Broke, Akwa Ibom Govt Cries Out by apolonius(m): 7:28am On Sep 17, 2014
Yes,the truth of the unusual and wholesale robbery dubbed uncommon transformation is finally here.

Akpabio should be competing with Qatar or one of the 5 city-states of UAE-Dubai.Godswill is such a curse for the people whose state gets the largest share of the oil wealth!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Vice President Osinbajo Visit Oba Elegushi In Lagos / Again, Buhari Asks National Assembly To Amend Electoral Act / Nigeria Signs Agreement With UAE On Recovery Of Stolen Funds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.