Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,215 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:33 AM

Outrageous Brideprice! - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Outrageous Brideprice! (7903 Views)

Why Must Yam Be Brideprice? What If One Demands For Iphone 6? / Ladys How Much Are You Worth? Lobola An APP TO Calculate Your Brideprice ;D / Brideprice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by igwe11(m): 10:08am On Nov 04, 2008
Am still calling on whatever90 /100 to retract her/his statement ABOUT IGBOs now oooooooh!!!
hmmm!
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by Exstar(f): 10:09am On Nov 04, 2008
koooool Temper!!! cheesy
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by presido1: 10:20am On Nov 04, 2008
whitelexi:

Bros, u have hit the nail on the head with that statement grin grin grin
You must now add my email addy to your YIM because we gats to yarn from now onwards. I don't accept anyhow so mention your name and i will add u.
Bros Mba 5ive gat to slow down for the levy, person wan marry u go see truck wey d pass like dangote wan go supply rice.
I go holla u anyway.
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by Mgbejume: 10:23am On Nov 04, 2008
So what will you now say, of the Tarouk people in Plateau State? the guy has to build a house for the brides father. I know of a lady who got married in 2003 (Tarouk by tribe) her father tried to relive the burden from the young man and just her brideprice was a N100,000.00 Meanwhile all other things were yet to be done!!!!

BridePrice is tradition and should be done. But on the other hand, Parents should not use that as an avenue to expliot their future inlaws, they should be considerate, including our Umunna,UmuAda, village heads, Igwe, extended family etc!!!!

CHEERS. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS  wink
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by Exstar(f): 10:27am On Nov 04, 2008
Uhmmm! A house ? just because you want to marry their daughter? shocked Na wa, o!
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by Mgbejume: 10:33am On Nov 04, 2008
Exstar:

Uhmmm! A house ? just because you want to marry their daughter? shocked Na wa, o!

wink things dey happen oh! What of he groom to be serving 6/7 years of hard labour for his parents and the brides parent in order to show that he is well able to provide for his family?
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by tamai(f): 10:37am On Nov 04, 2008
going through all this really makes me appreciate the fact that i'm a woman. tongue tongue
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by whatever90(f): 11:01am On Nov 04, 2008
presido1:

@Danke
6 million?  shocked shocked shocked shocked maybe in CFA or old Cedi.
If its in Naira then he did the traditional wedding at the same time.

"Weda" bride price or "wedan't" who wan marry go marry.

presido forget matter,i know wetin i dey talk,no be NGWA pple and their terrible bride price,which traditional marriage?never even talk of lists and co

igwe 1:

Am still calling on whatever90 /100 to retract her/his statement ABOUT IGBOs now oooooooh!!!
hmmm!

withdraw wat?u igbos r thieves,bite me
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by whatever90(f): 11:05am On Nov 04, 2008
iceblue:

pot calling the kettle black about brains!!  angry angry angry for someone who claims to have brains you're awfully small minded! The outrageous bride price is a TRADITION, one that wasn't rooted in thievery. In those days, a man was proud to pay it, because it showed his worthiness to marry their daughter. It has been abused, like unscrupulous elements in any other tribe would do had the tradition been theirs. Most of all, with enlightenment and changes in priorities, people are kicking against it.

That's a very insultive statement. If you have any decency you should take it back and apologise  angry angry angry

kill urself if u want to,but believe me apology is d last thingy on my mind now

accept the fact dat igbos r thieves or leave it

igwe 1:

You better recant that statement b/4 i take it up on you!!!!!!!
Is anything wrong with your brain.Were you forced and how could you say that?

take wat out on me? undecided u r dreaming,infact wake up from that slumber

y'all(igbo in general and their cultures) are big thieves
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by waleab: 11:10am On Nov 04, 2008
we only take 23Naira bride price in my family. nothing more nothing less
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by Nobody: 12:58pm On Nov 04, 2008
@ whatever 90
we have a saying that one does not stand in the market and hold debate with a confirmed mad man. i have nothing further to say to you. it is obvious you're incapable of logical or objective discourse.

there are equally nasty things to be said about every tribe in this country, big or small. an educated mind knows better than to spout that kind of rubbish.
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by whitelexi(m): 1:15pm On Nov 04, 2008
whatever90:

kill yourself if u want to,but believe me apology is d last thingy on my mind now

accept the fact that igbos r thieves or leave it

take what out on me? undecided u r dreaming,infact wake up from that slumber

y'all(igbo in general and their cultures) are big thieves

Dude, stop disgracing yourself, coming up in here and crying the igbos are thieves simply cos u cant afford a brideprice. That sweet soup was prepared by good money, you cannot expect everything to fall at your feet even if the world was a bed of roses, its as simple as that.

You know what they say about yoruba girls and dirtiness? Thats why we wont be thinking in that line grin grin grin

Leave our girls for us, we like them how they are, cheap or expensive, we know they're neat sha tongue tongue tongue
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by whatever90(f): 1:17pm On Nov 04, 2008
iceblue:

@ whatever 90
we have a saying that one does not stand in the market and hold debate with a confirmed mad man. i have nothing further to say to you. it is obvious you're incapable of logical or objective discourse.

there are equally nasty things to be said about every tribe in this country, big or small. an educated mind knows better than to spout that kind of rubbish.

wow,take it easy ,before u end up with a very bad heart attack grin

take it or leave it,iceblue u igbos are thieves cool

whitelexi:

Dude, stop disgracing yourself, coming up in here and crying the igbos are thieves simply because u can't afford a brideprice. That sweet soup was prepared by good money, you cannot expect everything to fall at your feet even if the world was a bed of roses, its as simple as that.

You know what they say about yoruba girls and dirtiness? Thats why we wont be thinking in that line grin grin grin

Leave our girls for us, we like them how they are, cheap or expensive, we know they're neat sha tongue tongue tongue

who's disgracing who? undecided

leave wat girls,im i holding them?

u igbos tend to jump out of ur selves wen d truth is been said

take it or leave it,igbos are criminals interms of bride price and even other things sef
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by JJYOU: 1:26pm On Nov 04, 2008
abuse is always inevitable if we dont know the use/importance of anything. nigerians generally dont like paying for anything.

the question is what is a good woman worth? can you really pay a family for their daughter? most family are only asking for acknowledgement for a job well done and that the lady you met where ever is someones child. is that too much to ask for?
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by KarmaMod(f): 7:44pm On Nov 04, 2008
whitelexi:

Leave our girls for us, we like them how they are, cheap or expensive, we know they're neat sha

That didnt stop you from dating one on NL now did it?

By the way  you're an slowpoke. whatever90 is jennykadri that every idiot on NL knows is an Igbo girl. Oponu.

Is it really that out of this world for you people to believe that someone from your own tribe is against your traditions that you had to immediately ASSUME the person must be Yoruba

Omo ale.
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by whatever90(f): 7:49pm On Nov 04, 2008
karma u even get time to tell him who i am and my gender,i wanted him to continue thinking im a yoruba guy

look at them jumping all over dis thread as if smone's shot their bom-bom wt catapult,all because im against our traditions/culture
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by KarmaMod(f): 7:50pm On Nov 04, 2008
na na I dont need that adodi insulting Yorubas cos he cant accept the fact that not all Igbos agree with their traditions
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by chika98: 7:53pm On Nov 04, 2008
lmao. Everyone is huffing and puffing. We all know our people like money sha and some villages go over board with it.
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by whatever90(f): 7:55pm On Nov 04, 2008
chika98:

lmao. Everyone is huffing and puffing. We all know our people like money sha and some villages go over board with it.

ooooo,dont mind them,igbos and their tradition like money,ndi'e oshi
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by whatever90(f): 8:06pm On Nov 04, 2008
KarmaMod:

That didnt stop you from dating one on NL now did it?

hahahahahaha grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by Sauron1: 8:08pm On Nov 04, 2008
whatever90:

leave what girls,I'm i holding them?

u igbos tend to jump out of ur selves when d truth is been said

take it or leave it,igbos are criminals interms of bride price and even other things sef

Eziokwu??
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by whatever90(f): 8:10pm On Nov 04, 2008
~Sauron~:

Eziokwu?? 

hehehehe they r hon

check out the ABA bois and d fake things dey make for us,go to alaba market,onitsha and so many places,wayo people

not to talk of d bride price area,yeah rite,now that one is d worst sad
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by Sauron1: 8:13pm On Nov 04, 2008
whatever90:

hehehehe they r hon

check out the ABA bois and d fake things dey make for us,go to alaba market,onitsha and so many places,wayo people

not to talk of d bride price area,yeah rite,now that one is d worst sad

Noted!!! cool
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by BabyJinx: 8:19pm On Nov 04, 2008
All these men feeling strong-armed because of Brideprice. . . I say from now on, parents just start holding auctions and give the girl to the higest bidder.

SOLD to the man who've never seen before in our life for $100000000000000000000

It keeps things fair, that's what I think.

More! More!. . . Please, don't let this topic die
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by presido1: 11:03pm On Nov 04, 2008
Danke

I think you drank sometin strong, If Igbos are thieves as you wrote, is you dad and mum, u and ur husband, your kids, sisters and brothers among the thieves. If all mentioned are Igbos.
Pls let us know.
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by ifyalways(f): 11:49pm On Nov 04, 2008
Funny.
Bride in Igbo land is not same all over or fixed abeg.
There are so many factors that determine the bride price;lets not just start yarning dust.Some of those factors are the educational qualification of the bride,the brides family background and the grooms background amongst others.
the summary of it all is that it depends largely on the girl/bride and the groom.If you decide that your hubby wont spend more than what is necessary,He won't,no kinsman can make him do cool but quite unfortunately,most gurls would want to show off,try to outdo someone else and make her wedding the talk of the town which unfortunately almost everything is coming from the grooms pockets.Then again,If a young guy is loaded,i mean loaded,you dont expect him not to show off in his trad wedding do you?Most of these loaded guys go out of their way to get things that are not even asked for and maybe some dickhead by the corner wud assume he was forced to do so.
In my town now,the bride price for every graduate is just N56 but the list is endless and frightening.what every reasonable girl does is to collect the list from her parents,sit down with the hubby and sort it out,trash out the unnecessary items and get the basic ones which are more often then not,affordable.
does it mean "okada riders","chemist men" grin and even "roadside tailors" in igbo land don't marry? shocked shocked shocked
you hang your bag within your reach.simple
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by H2O2: 11:51pm On Nov 04, 2008
Abeg jare let us hear word. When will igboland get in line with the other lands. On the other thread you were talking naively about not understanding why the dead are buried in cemeteries. Now methinks you're just clueless and ethnocentric.
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by tope2000(f): 11:52pm On Nov 04, 2008
H2O2, Who are u 4real? cheesy
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by ifyalways(f): 11:53pm On Nov 04, 2008
H2O2:

Abeg jare let us hear word. When will igboland get in line with the other lands. On the other thread you were talking naively about not understanding why the dead are buried in cemeteries. Now methinks you're just clueless and ethnocentric.
u know what,go fry sand chop and stop following me around.
thank you
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by H2O2: 11:55pm On Nov 04, 2008
ifyalways:

u know what,go fry sand chop and stop following me around.
thank you
Who is following you and for what?  Please jare don't make me laugh this afternoon; as if you're important.

tope2000:

H2O2, Who are u 4real? cheesy
Why do you want to know? Are you single and looking ni?
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by whatever90(f): 11:56pm On Nov 04, 2008
presido1:

Danke

I think you drank sometin strong, If Igbos are thieves as you wrote, is you dad and mum, u and ur husband, your kids, sisters and brothers among the thieves. If all mentioned are Igbos.
please let us know.

this is d last thing i tot i'd read from u,here i was thinking u r one matured guy

yes igbos r thieves including me and my family,satisfied now?
Re: Outrageous Brideprice! by tope2000(f): 11:59pm On Nov 04, 2008
@h202
lol, pls dont make laff
im just wondering why you never get along with people on nl esp the ladies

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Africans Are Delusional About Aa's / Learning Yoruba (phonology) / How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.