Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,864 members, 7,821,012 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:48 AM

Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? (24261 Views)

My Question On 'heaven Helps Those Who Help Themselves' / Problems With Biblical Inerrancy / Heaven Help Those Who Help Themselves Is Not A Biblical Word. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by omooye4real(m): 4:05pm On Sep 21, 2014
Yes"it is true ......because bible says whach and pray?
Yes!
Yes!!
Yes!!! You're right
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Orunto: 4:06pm On Sep 21, 2014
KJV. THEFAITH, THEHOPE MEAN CHRISH. CHECK THEIR NUMBERS. AND IF YOU BELIEVE AND TRUST, YOU WILL HAVE UNDERSTANDING.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by ayodeleakinadew(m): 4:07pm On Sep 21, 2014
There is no scripture in the bible that specifically state that but there are spiritual implications of such. For example the bible says in Mathew that "Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy" it simply means that if you desire mercy,you must have mercy on others.So if you want heaven to help you with mercy then you must help yourself by having mercy on others.

1 Like

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by LLVelly: 4:13pm On Sep 21, 2014
In this world u define as u understand, some work from 5am to 8pm yet they are still poor while some dnt have to work at all yet they dnt lack. In some cases some are likely to lose their wealth due to ill-luck.
There are too many hopeless situation in this world, I've seen a hopeless girl from a poor family pay her way to school through 'runz' becouse even her relatives refuse to assist her family.
If I become a Billionaire tomorow. I wonder whom I'll attribute it to.

1 Like

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Sep 21, 2014
Koolking: The phrase was coined by Benjamin Franklin. He was one of the founding Fathers of America. Infact, some Historians refer him as First America.

You can never find the phrase in the bible. The bible in other, emphasizes on work and prayer as elements for reward, hence the phrase, giveth not food to a lazy man.

You are right! Ben Franklin reportedly said this to encourage people to delve into and solve their own problems. Socrates also said it in a different way "Heaven never helps the man who will not act."

1 Like

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Olusanya333(m): 4:14pm On Sep 21, 2014
How long will it be known by Christain that God speak in figures. D interpretation is unscriptural.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by zinny01: 4:16pm On Sep 21, 2014
Lie God can only help those who cannot help the selves .if u can help ur self y do u need God. there is nothing like heavens help those who them self
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by redsun(m): 4:20pm On Sep 21, 2014
LLVelly: In this world u define as u understand, some work from 5am to 8pm yet they are still poor while some dnt have to work at all yet they dnt lack. In some cases some are likely to lose their wealth due to ill-luck.
There are too many hopeless situation in this world, I've seen a hopeless girl from a poor family pay her way to school through 'runz' becouse even her relatives refuse to assist her family.
If I become a Billionaire tomorow. I wonder whom I'll attribute it to.

You can either become a billionaire by being a psychopathic opportunist like most Nigerian billionaires and rich cleargies or work your brain and asss out to become a billionaire like bill gate or Oprah Winfrey. It is not just about having all the money in the work,the important thing is for you to be able to live without fear of the lack of the basics of life.

1 Like

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Sep 21, 2014
Ben Franklin was reputed to have said this not in support of the Bible but in mockery of it like his other quotes:

When a religion is good, I conceive it will support itself; and when it does not support itself, and God does not take care to support it so that its professors are obliged to call for help of the civil power, 'tis a sign, I apprehend, of its being a bad one.
-- Benjamin Franklin, letter to Richard Price, October 9, 1780, quoted from Adrienne Koch, ed, The American Enlightenment: The Shaping of the American Experiment and a Free Society, New York: George Braziller, 1965, p. 93.

The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason: The Morning Daylight appears plainer when you put out your Candle.
-- Benjamin Franklin, the incompatibility of faith and reason, Poor Richard's Almanack (1758)

I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies.
-- Benjamin Franklin, quoted from Victor J Stenger, Has Science Found God? (2001)

Many a long dispute among divines may be thus abridged: It is so; It is not so. It is so; it is not so.
-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, 1743

If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution. The primitive Christians thought persecution extremely wrong in the pagans, but practiced it on one another. The first Protestants of the Church of England blamed persecution in the Romish Church, but practiced it upon the Puritans. These found it wrong in the bishops, but fell into the same practice themselves both here and in New England.
-- Benjamin Franklin, An Essay on Toleration

Lighthouses are more helpful than churches.
-- Benjamin Franklin (attributed: source unknown)

He [the Rev Mr. Whitefield] used, indeed, sometimes to pray for my conversion, but never had the satisfaction of believing that his prayers were heard.
-- Benjamin Franklin, from Franklin's Autobiography
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by obailala(m): 4:39pm On Sep 21, 2014
It's really ridiculous that there are a lot of people who think the statement is not biblical.. As a matter of fact, it seems to be one of the most important of all the messages contained in the bible. It is also a basic principle of common sense that a lazy person would definitely go hungry. I wonder why people expect everything to be spelt out literally as if they are kindergaten pupils. I think the reason most people assume this statement to be unbiblical is because they erroneously assume the phrase "help themselves" to mean indulging in illegitimate things.

Benjamin Franklin may have coined the statement ,"God helps those who help themselves" and there is a similar statement of latin origins, "Laborare est orare (to work is to pray)." However, the message conveyed by these statements is very very biblical and there are countless cases in the bible where work was expected to accompany faith for favourable results to be achieved. I would just mention one verse:

James 2:14

14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

1 Like

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Dhotseal(m): 4:42pm On Sep 21, 2014
Orunto: Yes! It is in the Book of Proverbs. It simply means WORK AND PRAY!

No, I think it is in the book of " u don't know jack about the scriptures"
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Joebeck(f): 4:43pm On Sep 21, 2014
NO! If you can help yourself then you don't need God's help. So God help those that cannot help themselves.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by elblanco(m): 4:53pm On Sep 21, 2014
No God helps those who are helpless. If you can help yourself why do you His help then?
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by mzchinny(f): 4:54pm On Sep 21, 2014
I don't know. I rarely read the bible. GOD help my soul.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Maximus85(m): 5:02pm On Sep 21, 2014
If you're praying to God to bless you and you aren't doing anything, you're wasting your time. You have to show God something he can bless for you. So, help yourself first by starting something and God will bless it.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by obailala(m): 5:12pm On Sep 21, 2014
Mbediogu:

It is implied in many places. St Paul tells us that faith without work is dead. There is also the parable of the two servant, narrated by Christ Himself.
In addition, there's the parable of the 10 virgins; 5 helped themselves with extra oil but the remaining 5 were foolish and lazy and we all know the end result.

As a matter of fact, "God helps those who help themselves" has to be one of the most important and most repeated messages in the bible. I am really surprised there are people who doubt this undecided
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by manutdadex(m): 5:23pm On Sep 21, 2014
'heaven help those who cannot help themself ' its nt in d bible, there are countless instances in d bible where help had come to those who cannot help themselves...eg...isrealite ate mana witout plantin a corn talkless of havin a bakin flour, the lame man by d pool of :::::sadi don forget) he has been by d pool for a long time wit nobody to help but he recieved healing frm Jesus(the helper of d helpless), naming a few, for me it is God helps those who cannot help themselves and he pushes those who can
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Sep 21, 2014
[color=#770077][/color]

Oooh Ok

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by destante(f): 5:33pm On Sep 21, 2014
Tallesty1: It is not in the bible but some verses support it. Eg, Deuteronomy 28:12 The LORD will open the heavens, the storehouse of his bounty, to send rain on your land in season and to bless all the work of your hands. You will lend to many nations but will borrow from none.

We know that God is the helper of the helpless but you gotta try your own best. As a specific example, if you are in need of a job, ask the Lord to help you find a job - but then be active in actually looking for a job. You grab?
This is right. But again it depends on the perspective. You can go doing the interview with the mindset that everything you go to do is in Gods hands and your own efforts amount to nothing
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Sep 21, 2014
Dhotseal:

No, I think it is in the book of " u don't know jack about the scriptures"

Yea right
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by naijaaone(m): 6:04pm On Sep 21, 2014
in my opinion i think what that quote implies is, faith without work is dead. If anybody no finish school,no learn handwork, no gree hustle come join d fact say him wan live large nd come dey wait make manna fall from heaven, it means manna no dey fall from heaven dis days my son.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Udoabasi(m): 6:25pm On Sep 21, 2014
mzchinny: I don't know. I rarely read the bible. GOD help my soul.
His grace is available.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Sep 21, 2014
wellmax: No its not.
Bible says "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.

True, faith without work is dead, but God doesn't help those who try Ŧo cut corners.
While we go about our work, God demands total dependance on Him.
He said, "...for without me, ye can do nothing"
Please explain this should I wait for the Lord to come to my aid when next I want to urinate or defecate or climb my wife or is there a list of things I can do and others the Lord will do like clean my room and wash my car
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Cpumping(m): 6:52pm On Sep 21, 2014
Udoabasi: I have tried on my own to find out whether there is any bible portion that supports the expression, "God helps those who help themselves". What I've discovered however is that the bible seems to teach the opposite. Jesus Christ did not come for those who can help themselve but for those who are helpless. That is why the bible teaches total dependence on, and acceptance of the will of God. Suprisingly, many christians, even the clergy, use this expression as if it was spoken by Christ himself. Others use it to justify themselves when they go contrary to the tenets of christianity. It is for this reason that I want to know, perhaps, there may be a verse in the bible that such expression could be found. Anyone who knows of such should please post it. Thanks.

It isn't in the bible. It was actually quoted by [b] BENJAMIN FRANKLIN [b/]

Maybe dere might be verses in the bible dat support dis or refute it.
But one thing I noe is 'it isn't a bible verse'
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by kingzjay(m): 6:55pm On Sep 21, 2014
Udoabasi: Eyen Akwa Ibom.

Ayineka nkpo abadie?
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by simplisity(m): 7:04pm On Sep 21, 2014
Imy believe is that God help those who r helpless. The bible made us to know that, we r alive or doing watever we r doing is not by our might but by the special grace of God. We can do nothin includin, breathin, eatin, urinatin, seeing, etc without d grace of God. So we r virtualy nothing witout God's grace, but can do all virtualy all things perfectly wit his Grace. We r not help our self bcs virtualy everything we do, is by his power.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by WoodcrestMayor(m): 7:11pm On Sep 21, 2014
Watch and pray...

Grace covers us all too.

Look thru the bible and u'll notice this phrase on a number of occasions-"...God prospered the works of his hand"
Itz obvious d bible preaches hard work smiley
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by tete7000(m): 7:25pm On Sep 21, 2014
simplisity: Imy believe is that God help those who r helpless. The bible made us to know that, we r alive or doing watever we r doing is not by our might but by the special grace of God. We can do nothin includin, breathin, eatin, urinatin, seeing, etc without d grace of God. So we r virtualy nothing witout God's grace, but can do all virtualy all things perfectly wit his Grace. We r not help our self bcs virtualy everything we do, is by his power.

Yes God helps the helpless but not the lazy man. Infact Paul says he who does not work must not eat. God does expect us to use the resources he gave us to make wealth but in doing so to remember all things good comes from him. He can inspire but it is in our power to act. He won't come down from heaven to do for us what we can do ourselves.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by fridayj(m): 7:41pm On Sep 21, 2014
I agreed you...we have the food well prepare dine on the table but some are too lazy to eat by themselve undecided
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Nobody: 8:04pm On Sep 21, 2014
I believe this statement emanated from the interpretative deduction from the passage of the bible that says "faith without work is dead". Just ma opinion though.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Orikinla(m): 8:16pm On Sep 21, 2014
Read the Parable of Talents of our Lord and Messiah Jesus Christ. And also the Parable of the Sower.

Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might,[a] for there is no work or thought or knowledge or wisdom in Sheol, to which you are going.
~ Ecclesiastes 9:10English Standard Version (ESV)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is It Normal To Pray Before Sex? / Why Do People Find It Difficult To Pay TITHES? / Seven Things To Expect In A Real Godly Relationship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.