Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,169 members, 7,821,962 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:55 PM

Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? (24265 Views)

My Question On 'heaven Helps Those Who Help Themselves' / Problems With Biblical Inerrancy / Heaven Help Those Who Help Themselves Is Not A Biblical Word. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Rapture4real(m): 8:17pm On Sep 21, 2014
It is not biblical. It is no where stated in the Bible. Where it is implied it means you have a godly role to play as God helps you .if I'm praying to pass exams, I must read.Abraham obeyed God upon God's promises Gen 12.David killed Uriah to get his wife.He can't say he did it to help fulfill God's purpose. Any blessing you get thru sin is not from God. People quote it to indulge in sin. A lady who sleeps with a man to get a job should not quote this statement or else she is deceiving herself.rapture4real.prepare.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Pearlvictory(m): 8:33pm On Sep 21, 2014
shooo...?? Are u guys that daft? That statement is an old chinese proverb. It states rather "heaven help those who help themselves". You may google it up yourselves. Trust Nigerians, they incorporate everything in2 d bible to suit their beliefs.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Johncuppa(m): 8:47pm On Sep 21, 2014
Udoabasi: I have tried on my own to find out whether there is any bible portion that supports the expression, "God helps those who help themselves". What I've discovered however is that the bible seems to teach the opposite. Jesus Christ did not come for those who can help themselve but for those who are helpless. That is why the bible teaches total dependence on, and acceptance of the will of God. Suprisingly, many christians, even the clergy, use this expression as if it was spoken by Christ himself. Others use it to justify themselves when they go contrary to the tenets of christianity. It is for this reason that I want to know, perhaps, there may be a verse in the bible that such expression could be found. Anyone who knows of such should please post it. Thanks.
gud one @ op, bt pls permit me to add mine. Pls, wia are these ones too can be seen in d bible;
1. 'the #SWEET fellowship (some version use communion instead of fellowship) of the Holy Spirit when shearing d grace as recorded in 2corin 13:14
2. When d wicked/evil men suffer, d righteous men also partake in it
3. 1 night vigil is equivalent to 3days of fasting
4. d thief dat was saved on d cross was d right hand thief
5. Cain offering was rejected because he gave bad sacrifice to God
pls, wia are all these recorded in d bible or pple jst use their own intelligence or idea for d above or my own bible is imcomplete. Clarification pls.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by mcsnup: 8:47pm On Sep 21, 2014
the expression God help those who help themselves, can be trace down the years of slavery, its was first heard within black American at the time, the original phrase goes "heaven help those who help themselves" no part of the bible support this as you have rightly noted. It's simply a black proverb... Now why would God waste is time in helping folks who can help themselves? Just me thinking
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by 100Cents: 9:58pm On Sep 21, 2014
James 2:20. But wilt thou know, o vain man, that Faith without works is in vain.

1Timothy 5:8 But if any provide not for his own, and especially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

1Thessalonians 4:11 And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...

Job 14:15. Thou shalt call, and I will answer thee, : thou wilt have a desire to the work of thine hands..

1 Like

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by mzchinny(f): 10:05pm On Sep 21, 2014
Udoabasi: His grace is available.
Yea it is. Thanks
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by felifeli: 10:10pm On Sep 21, 2014
Udoabasi: I have tried on my own to find out whether there is any bible portion that supports the expression, "God helps those who help themselves". What I've discovered however is that the bible seems to teach the opposite. Jesus Christ did not come for those who can help themselve but for those who are helpless. That is why the bible teaches total dependence on, and acceptance of the will of God. Suprisingly, many christians, even the clergy, use this expression as if it was spoken by Christ himself. Others use it to justify themselves when they go contrary to the tenets of christianity. It is for this reason that I want to know, perhaps, there may be a verse in the bible that such expression could be found. Anyone who knows of such should please post it. Thanks.

Not scriptural but sensible. God does not help lazy people,
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by oyewolestephen(m): 11:05pm On Sep 21, 2014
Trash phrase. Why can't heaven help those that can't help themselves
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by bngene: 12:42am On Sep 22, 2014
God helps those who help themselves....another way of rendering this is 'Heaven helps those who help themselves'

It is not scriptural at all, but if we look at it from the 'meaning' perspective...it simply implies, PREPARATION plus Opportunity equals success, for when you have the opportunity and you are not prepared, then you fail.

But, if we take it by the literal rendering, my dear ppl of nairaland...it is not scriptural, for if we could help ourselves, God would not have sent Jesus to help mankind.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by erico2k2(m): 4:40am On Sep 22, 2014
Udoabasi: I've got your points. But don't you think you need God's grace so as to be able to work?
At every point in life one needs God grace as it takes grace to give,evolve and to achieve.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Jerryolumide(m): 6:29am On Sep 22, 2014
Orunto: Yes! It is in the Book of Proverbs. It simply means WORK AND PRAY!
lie!!!
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by wellmax(m): 6:46am On Sep 22, 2014
iwonbaoko: Please explain this should I wait for the Lord to come to my aid when next I want to urinate or defecate or climb my wife or is there a list of things I can do and others the Lord will do like clean my room and wash my car

Please put sarcasm aside. I'll give you the Bible verse again.
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways ACKNOWLEDGE HIM , and he shall direct thy paths."

1 Like

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Ephemmm: 7:02am On Sep 22, 2014
JonBee1: Your pastor simply borrow from your sister faith Islam or the greek philosopher.
It is never in the bible. But, it's like p.i.m.p my ride verse
The quote God helps those who help themselves is found in the Quran
Verily never will God change the condition of a people until they change it themselves (13:11)
heaven ne’er helps the men who will not act. (Sophocle, Greek philosopher)

Read James 2:14, James 2:17-18. However, I expect you to do your home assignment very well before commenting.

Have a nice week.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by jaybee(f): 7:28am On Sep 22, 2014

Linguistically speaking what does it mean "God helps those who help themselves" ?. If you can help yourself why do you need God any more. What value is God adding to you? As a christian, that saying is paradoxical and adds nothing to my faith.

Firstly I became a Christian because I realized I cannot help myself, hence I need a God's help. That is the Bible says "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest" Mathew 11:28

And may I add here that just as you cannot help yourself, you cannot help God.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Nobody: 8:03am On Sep 22, 2014
wellmax:

Please put sarcasm aside. I'll give you the Bible verse again.
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways ACKNOWLEDGE HIM , and he shall direct thy paths."
My point is those verses are absolutely meaningless. OR They can mean whatever the reader wants them to mean . Now it is either we go out to plant seeds and till the soil or we wait for an imaginary god to do it . Either we conduct research and use our brains or we spent nights keeping vigil uttering mumbo jumbo. The meaning of the expression is this. God does not interfere in the lives of man over and beyond the existing natural laws. God will not help you pass exams if you do not have the brain power and or do not study . God will not part the Red sea so men can work o dry land.God will not turn water into wine or send down manna from heaven those are just fantasies.That kind of thinking is why Nigeria is still very backward and not contributing any innovation to modern life. God will not favour so called Christians over Muslims Hindus or Satan worshippers .The evidence is very clear believing or not believing in god does not confer ANY MATERIAL BENEFITS IN THIS LIFE
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by winiwini: 8:47am On Sep 22, 2014
Devil is seriously waging war against the church.......... Dont relent yet,......let pray and push on
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by wellmax(m): 12:58pm On Sep 22, 2014
iwonbaoko: My point is those verse are absolutely meaningless. OR They can mean whatever the reader wants them to mean ....
God will not favour so called Christians over Muslims Hindus or Satan worshippers .The evidence is very clear believing or not believing in god does not confer ANY MATERIAL BENEFITS IN THIS LIFE

If ýoü want go know thew truth ýoü have go free your mind of any baisedness and sentiments. Like I told ýoü earlier, put sarcarsm aside. Its a pity that many Nigerian christians have given people like ýoü right go talk ill of God and the scriptures. No where in the bible did God encourage laziness, infact to the contrary, the Bible talks s
o much and encourages hardwork, Änd I'm sure ýoü know this. Asking us go trust and rely on HIm for our every need doesn not connot laziness or waiting for mannars to fall from heaven.
Even when He gave manna, He still required the children of Isreal to go out Änd pick them. He didn't take the Isrealites across the Red sea, He parted the sea and still required them to walk across, anyone waiting by the shore for another miracle will have himself to blame. S
o my friend, understand the scriptures before ýoü raise some issues.
I'm on mobile, I would have been able to enlighten ýoü more.

1 Like

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Nobody: 1:22pm On Sep 22, 2014
wellmax:

If ýoü want go know thew truth ýoü have go free your mind of any baisedness and sentiments. Like I told ýoü earlier, put sarcarsm aside. Its a pity that many Nigerian christians have given people like ýoü right go talk ill of God and the scriptures. No where in the bible did God encourage laziness, infact to the contrary, the Bible talks s
o much and encourages hardwork, Änd I'm sure ýoü know this. Asking us go trust and rely on HIm for our every need doesn not connot laziness or waiting for mannars to fall from heaven.
Even when He gave manna, He still required the children of Isreal to go out Änd pick them. He didn't take the Isrealites across the Red sea, He parted the sea and still required them to walk across, anyone waiting by the shore for another miracle will have himself to blame. S
o my friend, understand the scriptures before ýoü raise some issues.
I'm on mobile, I would have been able to enlighten ýoü more.
He did not give Manna ,that is just a Jewish folktale like hundreds of other folktales around the world. I do not know why we should think Jewish folk tales of Noah and his Ark,Adam and Eve or Blowing down the walls of Jericho etc are more credible than Oduduwa coming down from Heaven with a chain. They are just folktales
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by jevic(m): 5:28pm On Sep 22, 2014
T's not in the bible. T's fromt he pit of hell.
So be wise.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Udoabasi(m): 6:53pm On Sep 22, 2014
Johncuppa:
gud one @ op, bt pls permit me to add mine. Pls, wia are these ones too can be seen in d bible;
1. 'the #SWEET fellowship (some version use communion instead of fellowship) of the Holy Spirit...
Some of those examples are not in the bible and the fact that people continually use them does not make them valid. It is even dangerous as the bible warns against adding or subtracting anything from the bible. Like your first example. Some churches warm against adding the adjective, "sweet" to "fellowship" while sharing the grace as there is no bitter fellowship with the holy spirit. The bible records, "the fellowship of the holy spirit" not "the sweet fellowship of..." Thank you.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Johncuppa(m): 7:16pm On Sep 22, 2014
Udoabasi: Some of those examples are not in the bible and the fact that people continually use them does not make them valid. It is even dangerous as the bible warns against adding or subtracting anything from the bible. Like your first example. Some churches warm against adding the adjective, "sweet" to "fellowship" while sharing the grace as there is no bitter fellowship with the holy spirit. The bible records, "the fellowship of the holy spirit" not "the sweet fellowship of..." Thank you.
God bless u bro.

1 Like

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by doofanc: 1:45am On Sep 23, 2014
Udoabasi: Some of those examples are not in the bible and the fact that people continually use them does not make them valid. It is even dangerous as the bible warns against adding or subtracting anything from the bible. Like your first example. Some churches warm against adding the adjective, "sweet" to "fellowship" while sharing the grace as there is no bitter fellowship with the holy spirit. The bible records, "the fellowship of the holy spirit" not "the sweet fellowship of..." Thank you.

So is it wrong to say "sweet fellowship"?
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Udoabasi(m): 6:26am On Sep 23, 2014
doofanc:

So is it wrong to say "sweet fellowship"?
I'm not to judge what is wrong or right. All I know is that the bible does not put it that way and it should not be used as if it is like that in the bible.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by larimo(m): 6:30am On Sep 23, 2014
[size=16pt]IT IS NOT BIBLICAL[/size]
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by 5solas(m): 7:32am On Sep 23, 2014
xthwonder:
Bros e nor dey. Nor mind that guy. [b]If u can help ur self, u don't need God! [\B]
Pretty much sums it up.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Orunto: 8:27am On Sep 23, 2014
The truth is always bitter!
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by jdilight(m): 10:26am On Sep 23, 2014

That quote is not in the bible. I once saw it in a library when I was reading quotes of great men. I have forgotten who made that quote but I think it was made in 1904.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by royalty2013: 8:40pm On Sep 23, 2014
Its not a biblical statement. Wat i understand by dat is "do ur best n leave d rest"
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Nobody: 2:00pm On Sep 25, 2014
Gross misinterpretation of the statement-'HEAVEN HELPS THOSE WHO HELP THEMSELVES.A lot of people misinterprete the bible when it says Jesus came to help the 'helpless', 'Helpless' contextually means the sinners, not a lazy person who is expecting wonders without even working for it.Why is it that some people can't think logically unless they see the exact instruction in the Bible? Let us get it right here-helping yourself doesn't mean you don't need the help of God, It means that you have to take the first step-E.g,you are not prepared for an exam and you expect to pass even after praying to God and you have no solid reason for not reading?- You know,you have to study well-then pray to God to help you. The woman with the free flow of blood had to struggle to get close to Jesus to touch his clothes in order to be healed.-She didn't just sit somewhere and expect a miracle to take place. Therefore it is biblical because the events in the Bible supported it. It is not a must for it to be a verse in the Bible to be biblical. WE HAVE TO REASON LOGICALLY.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by akoaki(m): 3:57pm On Oct 17, 2014
The expression is not biblical. It was derived from various wise sayings of old philosophers. However, Prophet Muhammed (PBOH) says in the holy quran 13:11 that you should " TIE YOUR CAMEL FIRST, THEN PUT YOUR TRUST IN GOD and give regards to worldly causes " This means that personal efforts must fail before you will call on God for support.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Do People Find It Difficult To Pay TITHES? / Seven Things To Expect In A Real Godly Relationship / This Is How To Fast And Have Serious Breakthroughs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.