Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,003 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:25 AM

Mutual Funds - Investment (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Mutual Funds (960205 Views)

Top 10 Mutual Fund Managers In Nigeria / Mutual Funds In Nigeria: Please Share Your Experience / Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (321) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mutual Funds by Moses247(m): 8:09pm On Feb 25, 2016
Greetings to the house. pls some one should help me calculate this. If i invest the sum of 600k at the rate of 7percent in 3months...how much go be my interest??
Re: Mutual Funds by Nobody: 9:17pm On Feb 25, 2016
Moses247:
Greetings to the house. pls some one should help me calculate this. If i invest the sum of 600k at the rate of 7percent in 3months...how much go be my interest??

10500 if am not mistaken... (7/100) x600000=42000 ...42000/4=10500
Re: Mutual Funds by Amebo123: 10:18pm On Feb 25, 2016
carpenter:

Bros you mean Bearish?

Sir please do you have any info on Leadcapital investment? I hear they have an investment arm apart from stocks
Re: Mutual Funds by ernie4life(m): 9:57am On Feb 26, 2016
omoteamac:
I need suggestion for an investment plan with guaranteed principal and interest.. Anybody please?

How much are you looking at and for how long?
Investment -one VGIF guarantees both interest and capital plus a host of other investments,
Re: Mutual Funds by Nobody: 10:56am On Feb 26, 2016
ernie4life:

How much are you looking at and for how long?
Investment -one VGIF guarantees both interest and capital plus a host of other investments,
about 500k sir and for 1year
Re: Mutual Funds by rinrin23(f): 11:50am On Feb 26, 2016
Re: Mutual Funds by rinrin23(f): 1:26pm On Feb 26, 2016
Re: Mutual Funds by ernie4life(m): 2:30pm On Feb 26, 2016
omoteamac:
about 500k sir and for 1year

yea Vgif can GUARANTEE you both interest and capital
Re: Mutual Funds by ernie4life(m): 2:36pm On Feb 26, 2016
rinrin23:

Can this trend you mentioned of looking past the current market conditions and investing more now apply to mutual funds? O r is it just with stock market that you can buy low and sell high to make a killing

Well it depends on the kind of mutual fund, at the introductory part of this thread I made mention of [b]Growth Funds [/b]there per unit price increases if the fund grown and it also reduces if the opposite happens. But most of the funds we have been discussing are money market funds so it’s different.
Re: Mutual Funds by Nobody: 4:37pm On Feb 26, 2016
ernie4life:

yea Vgif can GUARANTEE you both interest and capital
please what's the interest rate with VGIF? Do you know?
Re: Mutual Funds by Naijainvestor: 5:13pm On Feb 26, 2016
ernie4life:

Well it depends on the kind of mutual fund, at the introductory part of this thread I made mention of [b]Growth Funds [/b]there per unit price increases if the fund grown and it also reduces if the opposite happens. But most of the funds we have been discussing are money market funds so it’s different.

People have been emphasizing money market funds but bond funds are raking in huge returns. Last year all the bond funds returned a minimum of 10.76% the highest being 15.49%, check out my blog on the top performing mutual funds in 2015 posted on mutual funds nigeria dot com for the complete list
Those bond funds did better than money market funds
Though past performance does not ensure future performance but it can help you choose
Re: Mutual Funds by Nobody: 8:34pm On Feb 26, 2016
Naijainvestor:

People have been emphasizing money market funds but bond funds are raking in huge returns. Last year all the bond funds returned a minimum of 10.76% the highest being 15.49%, check out my blog on the top performing mutual funds in 2015 posted on mutual funds nigeria dot com for the complete list
Those bond funds did better than money market funds
Though past performance does not ensure future performance but it can help you choose

So how do you interprete the data displayed on the mutual funds section? I am a 'novice' as per what they mean. Thanks
Re: Mutual Funds by Naijainvestor: 10:24pm On Feb 26, 2016
NittaJ:

So how do you interprete the data displayed on the mutual funds section? I am a 'novice' as per what they mean. Thanks

There are a lot of data there, not sure which one you are talking about
(1) the valuation tab tells you how much each mutual funds total asset was as the date of the report
(2) the performance tab tells you how each mutual fund has performed on a month to date basis (that is for the month), for the year, for the quarter, 1 year ago, 3 years ago, 5 years ago and 10 years ago for some, this helps to gauge the consistency of the fund performance
(3) the monthly tab shows how each mutual fund performed month by month since say 2004, again this measures consistency and volatility in performance
There are a lot more decision making variables and data at our disposal but our IT group is working on releasing them one by one
We have like the risk profile of each fund which will help you ensure that the fund you are chosing lined up with your risk appitite
We have correlation Numbers that helps you choose the right combination of funds so as to have a diversified portfolio for maximizing your returns, we are releasing these gradually but can make it available upon request on an ala carte basis
Re: Mutual Funds by Hhansome(m): 9:04pm On Feb 27, 2016
Coolcash1:

Check my profile for my email title the subject Mutual Funds with your moniker and I will revert.

Dont know how dis works but i hav sent u mail severally which till now i havnt seen ur response.
Re: Mutual Funds by Coolcash1: 9:13pm On Feb 27, 2016
Hhansome:

Dont know how dis works but i hav sent u mail severally which till now i havnt seen ur response.

Sorry sir. I will check and revert.
Re: Mutual Funds by Nobody: 11:31pm On Mar 02, 2016
The shikini 300K wey I put for FBN MMF since January just dey crawl like snail. I should have invested that money into keke napep business or something. angry

2 Likes

Re: Mutual Funds by Bobbyunitedfc(m): 11:40am On Mar 03, 2016
LastMumu:
The shikini 300K wey I put for FBN MMF since January just dey crawl like snail. I should have invested that money into keke napep business or something. angry

SAME WITH MY OWN SMALL MONEY WITH AXA MANSARD O.....IF I KNOW I FOR JUST USE AM BUY LAND FOR IFO OR ATAN
Re: Mutual Funds by oluwarantimi(f): 1:25pm On Mar 04, 2016
LastMumu:
Bobbyunitedfc:

SAME WITH MY OWN SMALL MONEY WITH AXA MANSARD O.....IF I KNOW I FOR JUST USE AM BUY LAND FOR IFO OR ATAN

Lol at the both of you. You guys are looking for money doublers abi cheesy
Re: Mutual Funds by Nobody: 7:29am On Mar 05, 2016
oluwarantimi:

Lol at the both of you. You guys are looking for money doublers abi cheesy
Abeg I need my money to double quick quick in at least one quarter.
I'm marrying Nkechi in July and her 3m Naira bride price never complete. grin

2 Likes

Re: Mutual Funds by taiwoliu(m): 2:42pm On Mar 05, 2016
LastMumu:
Abeg I need my money to double quick quick in at least one quarter.
I'm marrying Nkechi in July and her 3m Naira bride price never complete. grin
OYO is your name if you want to use gains from mutual fund pay bride price.. .. .. Lol

But then again, MF is not independent of economic direction.
Re: Mutual Funds by carpenter(m): 5:09pm On Mar 05, 2016
taiwoliu:
OYO is your name if you want to use gains from mutual fund pay bride price.. .. .. Lol

But then again, MF is not independent of economic direction.

Abi my brother.

By the way, I have moved 80% of my money out of Mutual Funds into poultry farming, investing in a friend's business.

Am excited about the risk and rewards, investing in Nigerian Businesses...I guess this is the reason they crashed the rates. Let me play ball then see how it goes
Re: Mutual Funds by wizdonnel: 5:09pm On Mar 05, 2016
Is it possible to invest 1million Naira In Investment One VGIF for 3 years and obtain a personal loan of 1million naira from GTBANK or First Bank that will be spread for 36months, with the mutual fund as collateral.
Re: Mutual Funds by carpenter(m): 5:14pm On Mar 05, 2016
wizdonnel:
Is it possible to invest 1million Naira In Investment One VGIF for 3 years and obtain a personal loan of 1million naira from GTBANK or First Bank that will be spread for 36months, with the mutual fund as collateral.

It will not be a wise decision as the cost of the loan will out weigh the profits you get.

hypothetically, I think you won't get the loan of 1m (if you want less, yes) because you would be owing the bank more than 1m and if you default, they may get all their principal back but not the interest. Still not a good move
Re: Mutual Funds by taiwoliu(m): 1:30am On Mar 06, 2016
carpenter:

Abi my brother.

By the way, I have moved 80% of my money out of Mutual Funds into poultry farming, investing in a friend's business.

Am excited about the risk and rewards, investing in Nigerian Businesses...I guess this is the reason they crashed the rates. Let me play ball then see how it goes
believe me when I say you won't regret this decision. I think agree with you on the reason for crashing the rates: so investors can move their funds into 'real sector' businesses, wch to me will favour the economy in the long term.

# pray for naija
Re: Mutual Funds by wizdonnel: 1:09pm On Mar 06, 2016
carpenter:

It will not be a wise decision as the cost of the loan will out weigh the profits you get.

hypothetically, I think you won't get the loan of 1m (if you want less, yes) because you would be owing the bank more than 1m and if you default, they may get all their principal back but not the interest. Still not a good move

Thanks a lot @ carpenter...I hope to plug the loan into agro business; fish farming and plantation plantation & vegetatables from which I am projecting @ least 70% profit in 12months...But the real question is; do banks accept mutual funds as collateral for loans

Re: Mutual Funds by wizdonnel: 1:11pm On Mar 06, 2016
carpenter:

Thanks a lot @ carpenter...I hope to plug the loan into agro business; fish farming,plantain plantation & vegetatables from which I am projecting @ least 70% profit in 12months...But the real question is; do banks accept mutual funds as collateral for loans?
Re: Mutual Funds by carpenter(m): 6:12am On Mar 07, 2016
wizdonnel:

Thanks a lot @ carpenter...I hope to plug the loan into agro business; fish farming,plantain plantation & vegetatables from which I am projecting @ least 70% profit in 12months...But the real question is; do banks accept mutual funds as collateral for loans?

I think they would, I say "I think" because am not a banker and cannot say for sure. Money in a Mutual Fund like Money Market Fund is like money in a savings account but for some Mutual Funds constituted by stocks, they maybe treated like stocks. I know banks used to accept stocks as collateral and may still be doing so as long as the worth is way below what you are asking for. For example, if you need 1m and had 5m worth of Mutual Funds as collateral, its a no brainer that the bank will borrow you since that is about 20% of the worth of the Funds. Am sure they have their calculations and ways of assessment. Any banker here will be able to say for sure...

Again, don't mind me... am sure you got the point in my earlier message but will say it again with figures this time.

Bank loans are what you obtain when you have no other alternatives and you are banking on your investments doing better than the interests you pay. At the moment bank loans are in double digits (ranging from 17% to 32% depending on what you are borrowing for) source:http://nigeria.deposits.org/

No Mutual Fund does any thing close to 10% at the moment. However, there are always exceptions to the rule...if the money you have in your Mutual Fund is your emergency fund then keep it there, you will however not be able to use it during an emergency and the banks will now have some control over it.
Re: Mutual Funds by Ups01(m): 5:43pm On Mar 12, 2016
carpenter:

I would rather you ask questions here so we can all learn from it but not a problem to give you a number. I personally do not qualify to give investment advice as I would only tell you how I would do it, that's the risk I take.

You can PM me if it is of a personal nature.

I would have loved to pm you but the mail i used for this nairaland acct has been blocked.

But please i would appreciate if you can please send your digits to me.

And to the matter...

FBN customer service is lame, its difficult getting across to them
Could you please help with a contact?

What's the difference between

FBN HERITAGE & FBN Fixed income fund.

Thanks in anticipation

@Ernie4life you are not left out, please say something.
Re: Mutual Funds by ernie4life(m): 7:25pm On Mar 12, 2016
Ups01:

I would have loved to pm you but the mail i used for this nairaland acct has been blocked.

But please i would appreciate if you can please send your digits to me Lekeope @ gmail (.) com

And to the matter...

FBN customer service is lame, its difficult getting across to them
Could you please help with a contact?

What's the difference between

FBN HERITAGE & FBN Fixed income fund.

Thanks in anticipation

@Ernie4life you are not left out, please say something.

FBN Fixed Income Fund
Invested in fixed income securities such as bonds and treasury bills

FBN Heritage Fund
Invests in equities, bonds and treasury bills

The difference in both are their asset classes

fixed income has a lower risk than the heritage because part of the funds in heritage are invested in equities

carpenter can tell you the rest

1 Like

Re: Mutual Funds by Ups01(m): 7:54pm On Mar 12, 2016
ernie4life:

FBN Fixed Income Fund
Invested in fixed income securities such as bonds and treasury bills

FBN Heritage Fund
Invests in equities, bonds and treasury bills

The difference in both are their asset classes

fixed income has a lower risk than the heritage because part of the funds in heritage are invested in equities

carpenter can tell you the rest

Thanks Boss!
from february fact sheet of Fixed income fund it yielded 10.6% but while going through the fact sheet of that of Heritage fund i could not find yield.

is there something am missing?

Also, @Carpenter
Re: Mutual Funds by Naijainvestor: 8:02am On Mar 13, 2016
Ups01:

Thanks Boss!
from february fact sheet of Fixed income fund it yielded 10.6% but while going through the fact sheet of that of Heritage fund i could not find yield.

is there something am missing?

Also, @Carpenter

Note that the 10.6% quoted above and on the fact sheet is an annualized not the yield in February, by our analysis FBN Fixed income fund yielded 0.85% in February which translates to annualized rate of 10.3%, our analysis is based on data released by the SEC
Based on the same data, FBN Heritage just broke even in February and did not make any gains that month. For more on Nigeria mutual funds visit www. mutual funds nigeria dot com(one word) or google quantitative financial analytics

1 Like

Re: Mutual Funds by Naijainvestor: 8:08am On Mar 13, 2016
carpenter:

I think they would, I say "I think" because am not a banker and cannot say for sure. Money in a Mutual Fund like Money Market Fund is like money in a savings account but for some Mutual Funds constituted by stocks, they maybe treated like stocks. I know banks used to accept stocks as collateral and may still be doing so as long as the worth is way below what you are asking for. For example, if you need 1m and had 5m worth of Mutual Funds as collateral, its a no brainer that the bank will borrow you since that is about 20% of the worth of the Funds. Am sure they have their calculations and ways of assessment. Any banker here will be able to say for sure...

Again, don't mind me... am sure you got the point in my earlier message but will say it again with figures this time.

Bank loans are what you obtain when you have no other alternatives and you are banking on your investments doing better than the interests you pay. At the moment bank loans are in double digits (ranging from 17% to 32% depending on what you are borrowing for) source:http://nigeria.deposits.org/

No Mutual Fund does any thing close to 10% at the moment. However, there are always exceptions to the rule...if the money you have in your Mutual Fund is your emergency fund then keep it there, you will however not be able to use it during an emergency and the banks will now have some control over it.

I think I disagree that no mutual fund does anything close to 10%, many mutual funds, especially the Bond Funds returned more than 10% last year. Again, you can use your mutual fund money for emergency as long as you have kept it past the minimum required period which ranges between 90 to 180 days.
For more information on Nigerian mutual funds visit www. mutual funds nigeria dot com( one word) or google quantitative financial analytics, when there click on any fund of interest and you will see the numbers, go to the monthly tab and you will see the month by month performance of each fund etc
Good luck

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (321) (Reply)

MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread / Treasury Bills In Nigeria

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.